Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visas and moving to Dublin

Options
  • 23-01-2023 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi!

I am looking to move to Dublin from the USA, hopefully by late August/early September of this year. I was wondering if there is a specific company or firm that would be able to handle all of the legalities? Such as that of the visa application process and residence permits? Or if you have any moving experience/tips, please feel free to share!! I am looking to move there for work and I could really use some guidance and help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 ShaneODub

If you have an Irish grandparent, you can apply for an Irish passport. Other than that, I have no idea how the US citizens who live here are able to get visas. Maybe it's on the basis of having a rare/in-demand skill. (In fact, any EU passport or a UK passport, if you are entitled to one, will enable you to live and work here. ).

It's not really a question that's specific to Dublin City; whatever applies to moving to Dublin also applies to moving to anywhere in Ireland. You might get a quicker answer in a different forum on Boards.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Unless you are a citizen of a member state of the EU/EEA/CH, you will need employer sponsorship to obtain a residency of any member state including Ireland. As priority is given to citizens of the EU/EEA/CH an employer will need to demonstrate that there is no EU citizen available to take up the position. This is done by reference to the Eurostat labour market figures published monthly.

So a couple options for you:

• You are already an EU/EEA/CH citizen, in which case you are free to do as you please
    • You have the skills and qualifications to fill a shortage in the labour market - see the current list on the Eurostat site.
    • You have a million Euro that you are happy to loose so you can invest in an Estonia start up and get citizen there, then move to another part of Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Hi, before coming here I'd recommend you travel for a holiday and visit the cities.

Rent a car and spend a few days each in Dublin, Cork, Galway and maybe Limerick to get a feel for the place.

Read the local newspapers and talk to people to get a proper feel for the place, then decide whether you want to move, and where you want to live.

Ireland is a fantastic place with a lot to offer. There's plenty of jobs if you have a STEM background, but it can be tough to find accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

but it can be tough to find accommodation.

Tell me about it. I have been searching for a year. Go to view places ask if there was any interest and of course there was and in the end I do not get picked. This isn't even Dublin though I did go to view a place in Bray during the summer.

In my mind now I'm just saving and have the idea to just go for an overpriced place and hope there is no interest as it's over priced.

In the past I would go to view places and just get them. This was like between 2002 and 2018. In different places. I don't even know how long they were on the market for but I always got the first place I viewed. I just said yes I will take it and that was it. Deal done.

Advertisement