Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 21/22 Eviction Ban (was: And just like that, FFFG lose 298000 votes))

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,542 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Not sure why you are going off on the tangent.

One poster said his friends who work in banks told him that some people are selling because they weren't tax compliant and you jumped in telling him they were waffling.

You have to consider that you might not actually know every landlord in the country personally, and even if you do, you might not have access to their tax returns to know who is and who is not tax complaint. The poster did not imply that most or many landlords were not tax compliant. He quoted a story from his friends where they said that a chunk of those that they see jumping ship now are. Which makes logical sense. If I were in that position I might be jumping too.

As I mentioned above, cash or not is not necessarily a determining factor as many people who are PAYE workers only would not even be aware of the risk (albeit extremely small) of being subject to a tax audit. There would be many accidental landlords after the crash who would have put every gross penny they received in rental income against their mortgage repayments. I would think that there are a fair few landlords out there who did not pay tax. Many would have jumped ship when they got out of negative equity. Some would have stayed there and be trying to jump now. As I said above, even a few hundred of them, if they all jumped now, would be a non-trivial percentage of those selling up. However paying cash would be a red flag. It wouldn't be necessary though for non tax compliance.

I think all of us on here either know someone who is renting a property on not clearly defined agreement or somewhat casual terms. Either as the owner or as the "tenant". I'm not talking about tenants rights blah blah.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭SwimClub

It wouldn't make sense to jump ship now in that scenario, it would make sense to wait until tenants leave/have somewhere else to go, and then quietly remove the property.

Evicting tenants when there are almost no rentals on the market will just draw attention to someone involved in tax evasion, as the tenants will be on to the RTB and threshold potentially looking for assistance. There are so few rentals on the market tenants have nowhere to go.

Not related to tax evasion but just making the point again - when small landlords get out their tenants will be looking at finding new places with much higher rents in most cases, because the only available supply is coming from new builds and REITS at new market high rents.

The 14% annual rises we see reported in advertised rents will work their way through the whole rental market in spite of the RPZ, as small landlords leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭dennis72

When a market has been thrashed there will be diversification houses rented previously under RTB rules now been used by family siblings to live in and subletting to friends in college or starting out

I know 1 ll has this arrangement for 3 houses nothing illegal they just want to keep it away from the mitts of the evil RTB and all it consequences ignoring it been the root cause of supply contraction.

Reg ll have been 99% taxed compliant there no alternative and will be caught but its a great headline.

LL example isn't avoiding tax but wants the right to decide what they do with their owned properties

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭dennis72

The market is a regulated into a mess

I know an Indian guy who bought a property ln dublin city and rents it, I asked about RTB reg and taxation

He put his hand on my shoulder and "my friend that of no interest to me I wouldn't make money if I did".

I said you are breaking the law 1 of your tenants might report you.

He laughs its ok I hold all their passports.

There is probably a lot of that with foreign students coming over etc. There would probably be zero enforcement or checking there, that's too much work. They could easily check that by requiring a landlord registration number for student registration or grants etc., have people register for rent a room, like they are doing with Air B&B now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,548 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

So it makes logical sense that LL are jumping ship the rate of which has constantly increased for the last 5-6 years over a tax change that happened in last September's budget.

There has been a few of us on here have pointed out the issues for the last 12+ months. We pointed out that small LL were exiting before it was ever highlighted in the media. We pointed out the trends before it became public and now @The Spider plucked a story out of his hole that he heard from a banker friend.

The reason small LL are leaving is because the ROI no longer justifies the risk. It has more to do with regulations, dealing with the RTB, and the inability to get a house returned to you.

Houses that are temporary vacant can no longer rented. Look at the great nursing home scheme they bought in a poster indictated that 4 houses took it up nationwide.

Small LL did not increase rent annually and got screwed over by the changes in regulations. That obviously had nothing to do with them leaving.

No it was that they were all tax dodgers.

Slava Ukrainii

Bass, it isn't a "tax change". It is a new scheme which means that (basically) all tenants will now be alerting Revenue that they are renting and who they are paying money to.

You own tenant will be telling Revenue that they pay you money. Which makes no difference to you because you already tell Revenue that. But if you were someone who had "forgotten" to tell Revenue that you have this other income stream, then the difference this year is that your tenant will likely let them know.

If the "nursing home scheme" was incorporated into Fair Deal so that X% of the assessed rental value was counted against he value of the house, you can be assured that more people would take it up. People going into homes and not renting their own house is to do with the Fair Deal Scheme flawed design in that regard. You know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DubCount

Nobody is arguing in favour of tax evasion. If this scheme highlights some tax evaders to Revenue - great. All the tax compliant folk will be delighted. The extent to which tax evasion is a factor in the private rental sector is an unknown. There are no reliable stats. Personally, I reckon the level of non-compliance is pretty low. Revenue have data from the RTB, stamp duty on purchases etc. already. I doubt many are dumb enough to chance it nowadays.

As with all the government schemes of recent years, none of it tackles the reason for small LLs leaving. There is nothing to help evict non-paying, anti-social or overholding tenants. There is nothing to address incomes being frozen in RPZ's when input costs (interest rates, repair costs etc.) are all increasing.

We need a solution which increases supply of rentals. That is the best protection tenants can receive. Eviction bans and rent tax credits are just sticking plasters - they dont fix the leaking bucket.

There were a lot of "accidental landlords" after the crash. Some are out of the game now but some are still hanging in there. I think that it would be a bit naive for anyone to think that there weren't a chunk who ended up renting out their properties "unofficially" at that time. Some would have gotten out of the game but it is not impossible that some stayed in there. And they might be all rushing out at the same time. So I would not write off an anecdote about a glut of them at the minute as "waffling" when I think it is perfectly plausible.

BTW, interest rates going up are not an excuse for raising rents. That is your cost of capital and there is no moral reason why you should expect to be insulated against that risk. If you want a risk free investment, then you are only entitled to risk-free return. Which was effectively 0% for the previous few years. You can however write off the increase against your rental income. We have fixed interest rate products in Ireland now too. You can think of those as insurance. Any investor could have decided to pay for that insurance (by paying a little more in the good times) and be laughing now.

Also, if your repair costs are 10% of your rental income, then a 4% increase in your rental income will cover 40% increase in your repair costs.

It could be the case that some are getting out because they have to start paying tax and then it isn't worth it.

But the issue there is still that it isn't worth it under the current regulations and taxation etc., the fact they weren't paying tax before isn't the cause of them getting out, it's that they have something better to do with the money, so it's the same theme - it just isn't appealing for small landlords to stay in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭The Spider

Relax there now Bass I’m a landlord with a couple of properties, tax compliant and just because you don’t want something to be true doesn’t mean it isn’t. I’ve constantly said l believed landlords were leaving because of tax being punitive etc.

However I know for a FACT that there are plenty of small landlords down the country not paying tax on properties. and I also know that some have given eviction notices so they can sell up, so there you go.

Post edited by The Spider on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Ginger83

If you know of some not paying tax then they must not be registered so how can they give an eviction notice, sure it would be worthless

Only if the tenants dug in their heels, but they haven’t so there us go, either way they do exist and pretending they don’t is nonsense, headlines like the below had them scrambling out the door and again I’m referring specifically to landlords in a couple of small country towns.

https://m.independent.ie/business/budget/no-way-out-500-tax-relief-for-tenants-will-buy-revenue-details-of-many-unregistered-landlords-42022392.html

If you don't pay tax on certain income, and that goes on for a few years, and the Revenue catch you (rather than you disclosing it before they land on your doorstep....or even worse fail to disclose when they do land on your doorstep) then be prepared for your backtax and penalties to be more than 100% of that income. People who file their own returns (rather than just letting their employer do it for their PAYE) will, by and large, be aware of this.

So it isn't just a case of "sure if they land on my door, I'll just have to pay it on future income".

We are talking about a decision for them to get out now - they could always have gotten caught by revenue if reported by a tenant or anyone, so what has changed?

You'd basically have to be talking about a very specific situation, where the landlord kicked a tenant out because of the new tax credits, refusing to register for the tax credit to stay off revenue radar and relying on the aggrieved tenant not reporting them to revenue?

Versus registering the tenancy and paying tax going forward, and hoping not to get caught for not paying in the past.

The only reason I can see for not trying the latter is that the profitability of letting the place out net of tax becomes not worth it for them given all the costs, regulations, risks and hassle.

i.e. being in the same boat as the majority of landlords that pay their tax that are getting out.

And all of these people don't show up in the numbers reported by RTB getting out, or presumably in the news, because they were never registered in the first place.

Do you now know about the new tax credit? Tenants can apply for a tax credit by basically filling out a form (online presumably) and sending it to revenue. The form, as I understand it, basically says "I pay SwimClub X amount of rent and I began my tenancy on 1st Jan 20?? so please give me my 500 quid. Thanks". Up to this, there was no incentive for that tenant to do that. Nor any mechanism aside from regular informing. And if the tenant had a good deal - perhaps even below market value - they might be remiss to inform and likely lose their tenancy. You appear (from many of your posts on here) to be under the apprehension that the only dynamic between a landlord and a tenant is one of a perpetual battle between the two.

Read the article posted by The Spider above.

Revenue can't, and don't, audit everyone. They are far from stupid though. Put yourself in the shoes of a manager in Revenue. Lets suppose Paddy and Mick both bought houses in 2008. You can tell from their Stamp Duty payments. Both are PAYE workers and don't file for any additional income. Paddy suddenly registered as a landlord for 2022 and his tenant claimed their tax credits. Mick just has his PAYE returns as normal.

Now, which one would you be more likely to choose for an audit? Now you have 100 Paddys and 100 Micks and you have time to audit 10. Which group are you likely to audit more of?

(BTW, the fact that very few people have claimed their credit for last year as of yet would indicate to me that there are a large number of tenants out there that are worried about causing trouble for their landlords and losing their tenancies!.......perhaps waiting until the last minute to claim their credit.) https://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/tax/over-300000-have-yet-to-claim-new-tax-credit-for-renters-42308646.html

Sorry but I still don't get the relevance of this, on any reported RTB numbers or the numbers of landlords leaving the market that are being reported.

These are unregistered residencies.

What you seem to be describing are a landlord and tenant that are 'mates' and do everything under the table.

The new tax credits come out, tenant mate says 'I'd like to apply for that', landlord mate says 'no sorry you can't I'm selling the place and you can go find another rental immediately in the non-existent rental market'.

And this is driving the reported exodus from the small landlord market? (even though these are unregistered tenancies and the termination is not reported)

And I've no idea what you are basing the battle dynamic comment on, that's a complete fabrication.

There are people in long term landlord-tenant relationships which predate all this registration etc. There are also people who let to others, not necessarily friends, on favourable conditions. Because they didn't want any hassle and figured the tenant wouldn't bother them if they had a good deal. And that tenant could be still there 10 years later. Happy out.

Going on about the percentage of investors selling residential properties is a nonsense unless you have something to compare it to. Is this like the story that was published a few years ago that implied that many people taking sick days do it to extend their weekend - and that this was backed by the survey which found that 40% of sick days were taken either side of the weekend?

Right, so they don't have any impact on the RTB figures reported that show small landlords leaving the market, they are not relevant to explaining those figures.

They are anecdotal stories about even more small landlords leaving but don't explain/aren't relevant to explain the RTB reported numbers of landlords leaving.

Well you could be right on not causing trouble for the landlord, but don’t underestimate the amount of tenants doing nixers, working on the side or have other things going on that they don’t tell the taxman about, this particularly goes towards IT workers, software engineers, designers etc, combined with a general reluctance to get on revenues radar, they may not be doing any nixers now, but they may have done stuff in the past they didn’t pay tax on and are paranoid about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

Nearly top of the list of things those idiots need to do, is reduce the marginal rate of tax. 40% absolute max!

Its at such an insane rate at such a pittance of an income, its causing all sorts of issues...

Agreed about the non payment of rent too. You would have recourse if someone went into your home and stole the money or on the street and was caught...

You have recourse to the civil courts for anyone who doesn't pay you rent the same as anyone who owes you any other debt.

The issue that many appear to have problems getting their head around is that they have freely and willingly given the tenant possession of their property. That gives the tenant certain rights as it becomes their home. If the tenant stops paying you, you will get rid of him eventually and you can pursue them for any debt. Now, you might not get any of it back but that is actually a separate issue to your problem of getting them out.

Someone stealing your money would be a criminal act. They could get convicted in a court but that would not guarantee you getting your money back. The person not paying you rent is not analagous to someone who stole your wallet. They are closer to someone whom you loaned money to but didn't pay you back. No matter how emotional you get about it, that is the reality.

But why do you think I care whether you own a second house or someone else owns it? Why do you think anyone cares? Buy one houes. Buy ten houses. I don't give a sh1t. Just don't be constantly winging over your own decisions.

We have posters on here, many of the most vocal ones, who frequently advocate that people would be better off not renting their houses and leaving them vacant, thus ensuring that they receive 0 rental income rather than renting it to someone and risk the change of getting 0 rental income.

How can they be advocating that "small landlords" should leave their properties vacant but at the same time have some sort of "saviour complex" that if someone else owns that house, and actually uses it, then society will never recover from the "loss"?

We all know that Donald. We do not need to be told. However eventually is a 12 month minimum process. There is cases at present where people are finally being evicted after a three years process. Everything is a separate issue but as the saying goes there is only one left holding the baby.

Your should read your previous post that is quoted above. This is one reason landlords are leaving there properties vacant.

One thing that comes clearly into focus it's clear you have a visceral dislike of landlord especially smaller LL who who have often described as ''have a go LL''.

Yours is not an rational analysis of the present situation. You are blinded by dare I say hatred of those who provide rental accommodation.

You have contributed to to threads where you even lacked empathy where people who only have one property, temporary rented returned to Ireland and could not get there home returned to them.

My only advice to any LL who get a property vacant in the next while is consider the risk before reletting. Definitely if I was a LL with a property with seriously below market rent I would be very reluctant to relet the property

Slava Ukrainii

I think you are blinded by some wort of victim complex yourself Bass. Not everyone is out to get you. And you don't appear to have ever had any direct negative disasters due to these rules and regulations and you appear to be able to manage them. So why you spend so much time defending any have-a-go whingers is something that I don't understand.

I am being fully rational. Me responding to some melodramatic post about landlords not having any recourse, and explaining that the post is not correct could hardly be interpreted as "hatred" by any rational person. Regarding the person who left the country and rented out their property - they did not do their paperwork correctly. That is their fault. the result is that you have a conflict of rights. The rights of the person who owns a property stacked up against the rights of a person whose home it is. One is going to lose out. You choose to feel your "empathy" for the person who made the mistake. I recognise instead that it was their own fault. I don't think the other person should have to suffer because the owner made a mistake.

You're always going on about it being a "business". Well if you make a mistake as a business, you can't expect personal empathy. Protections tend to defer on the side of the customer in general and do so for a reason. Yes, rules and regulations change but that happens everywhere. I can easily point you to another forum you would be familiar with where there will be pages and pages of threads about people discussing investments and changes they have to make due to every changing regulations. The only thing constant is change and I know you know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DubCount

Landlords only have a theoretical recourse to civil court for non-payment of rent or property damage. The reality is very different. Sometimes, you cant trace a defaulting tenant when they leave. They dont normally leave a forwarding address to allow papers to be served. They may not even stay in the country. If you do track them down, the judge will likely give a judgement for payment of small amounts over a long period. After 2 years of non-payment of rent, you could easily have a bill of 30k or more. Getting a judgement to repay that at a fiver a week will take a couple of years just to pay the legal fees - its a useful as a chocolate teapot.

Application to court for an eviction without recourse to the RTB where rent arrears are over 3 months should be introduced (but wont be). Occupancy of someone else's property without any attempt/intent to pay for a prolonged period should be criminalised (but wont be).

Just to note, Dublin City Council are owed over 37m in rent arrears. Maybe if that was collected it could pay for some more social housing as well.

Those things definitely won't be introduced because they will result in more people short term looking for housing. Tying them up in the private rental market for as long as possible is the government strategy. It's systemically unfair but they won't admit to it or be held to account for it or the consequences of landlords leaving because of it.

In other EU countries the whole process is on a set timeline of around 6 months start to finish from the first non payment, including the payment of arrears and the non paying tenant will have their bank account seized - it's very easy to implement if you want to.

What's going on here is a joke, several articles in the papers about tenants living for free for 2 to 3 years.

It's like putting lifestyle ads in the paper for FIRE:

'How did you manage to retire early?'

'It really helped that I stopped paying my rent, turns out it's free in this country for the first 3 years'

At what stage does the legal process diverge? And who makes that decision as to what laws apply? Is it just split into two in terms of the rules for "landlords" vs "everyone else", or is there a separate set of processes and rights for say mechanics who are owed money vs landlords vs bakery owners etc?

The truth is that the right of recourse is the same for everyone. A landlord might find it difficult to get his money in the same way that a mechanic would. Landlords do not have some kind of special victim status in that regard.

The RIA couldn't even get their 6k invoice paid by Sinn Fein.........

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭bluedex

Haven't checked this thread in a while but it's been relatively easy to go through it and catch up, as at least 50% of it relates to nonsense being posted by some aptly named poster with Trump in his profile ID.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

• Advertisement

If I am a mechanic I do not have to keep fixing someone's car who has not paid me for work done 12-18 months before.

You post some nonsense with you comparisons. They are not apt.

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement