Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enoch Burke turns up to school again despite sacking - read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,009 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Martyrdom is the driving force behind it all. It's the reason for all the theatrics. His strain of Evangelical Christianity isn't out to convert people to their cause - they believe in pre-destination, that it is already decided who will be saved in the final judgement. What does matter to them, however, is the visible and unrelenting battle against what they see as the "forces of Satan", that is anything that goes against their very strict and literal interpretation of the bible (even other Christians). Being unpopular, losing a job or a court case or being jailed doesn't matter - in fact, they're badges of honour - because they firmly believe that they are fighting a war on God's side, and that their victory is inevitable.

Here's how Burke signs off his introduction to his 2020 self-published book "The Hedonism and Homosexuality of John Piper and Sam Allberry: The Truth of Scripture":

Read this book. Them reacquaint yourself with the Scriptures and seek to be effective in the service of God. It is time we rose from our knees, repented of sin, and went forward to do battle with the forces of Satan.

Time is short. Eternity is forever.

And the time for excuses is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭feelings

A complete joker. Have they started taking his assets yet? And that of anyone who aids his activity? I see his father dropped him. Start taking the fathers assets as well. This would end pretty quickly if they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Just as I suspected: He doesn't give two shites about the students.

He's just intent on being a nuisance and hoping someone will snap at him so he can play the victim. He is a pathetic excuse of a person. I hope he gets arrested now. I don't understand how anyone can think this isn't intimidating behaviour and that his stance should somehow be championed. This has gone far beyond the original principle.of the matter. He's just an obnoxious, self-centred attention-seeker.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,738 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I wonder who in there right mind will give him employment anywhere now ?

Who would wat to take on the burden ,just not worth the hassle if as a shelf stacker in his local supermarket,

Ye wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot barge pole ,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭Tork

It's interesting that the school tried to go this route. Whether they'll succeed or not is another matter. From what I've read, this hasn't happened to an individual before so legal precedent might make it tricky. It suits him and his family down to the ground to have him in prison. I assume they want him to be re-arrested and to kick the cycle off again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

i'm sure there is plenty of precedent of workers being sacked for verbally abusing their boss.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,274 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

You know and I know how this is playing in certain circles.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Do we? i dont know what circles you are referring to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

I feel sorry for anyone named Burke, an employer would really want to be sure they are not from this family, otherwise just throw the CV in the bin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭TagoMago

For years to come we're going to be hearing about how Burke is unable to find work as a teacher due to the fact he stood up for what he believed in and was shot down by the woke, Marxist, authoritarian system that is anti free speech and persecutes religious people, even though no principal in their right mind would employ him after this circus and the Burke's are as censorious as they come.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The seizure of assets was an alternative to having him imprisoned, so that the dismissal proceedings could continue.

With those proceedings out of the way, the sanction will probably be back to imprisonment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,696 ✭✭✭chooseusername

• Registered Users Posts: 9,767 ✭✭✭hynesie08

According to this tweet the Gardai have turned up at the school. I wonder did he actually enter the building?

https://twitter.com/nicole_gernon/status/1617844141723103232?s=20&t=LXUXNShNb_0WfnLE6NmKOw

• Registered Users Posts: 7,249 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Yes. it's now a criminal matter though and not civil.

If I were the Principal in Wilson's I'd have been straight on the phone of the local Garda station this morning reporting a trespasser.

There is no need to worry about Enoch turning up at a school near you in the future.

Being arrested and returning to custody (I assume) is exactly what he wants. It goes to show there aren't many tricks in the legal playbook when you have somebody who actively wants to be imprisoned.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,857 ✭✭✭sporina

i feel sorry for the kids at this school - and the staff working there

he should be in a psych hospital i'd say

His Mammy will give him a job.

Handy when your family runs their own private school. Though absolutely minimal information about it online. Nothing on D/Ed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,967 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Its not a real school, nobody's been able to find any evidence of people ever attending it as a school, it seems they do grinds for exams and that's it.

• Advertisement

I wonder who's funding them? Are they getting money from American conservatives who'd hold similar views? Plenty of American money was pumped into the Retain the 8th campaigns when we had that referendum a few years ago. A figure like Enoch is manna for people on one side of the culture wars. It doesn't matter that he ran into problems for how he behaved at work and all that came after it. It's playing to conservatives as a victimised teacher who lost his job because he didn't want to call a boy a girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Hard to keep up with all the twists and turns in this one...

but isn't Enoch only out of prison on the condition that he stays away from the school ?

surely he needs to go back inside at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

No Garth Brooks concerts on at Croke Park at the moment that you can listen to for free in the Joy- U2 might play but that will be late summer I’d say

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Thing is he’s now no longer legally either employed or suspended - so has no right to be on the school grounds just like you or I have no rights to be there- I’m assuming this will turn into some form of criminal matter very quickly if it continues , completely removed from the current situation?

That means this thread will get locked- we can’t have that- will someone please make him see sense- we have to keep this thread opened 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

This highlights something that has come to mind.

Jesus bids that we follow the Law of the Land.. Phrases like " Render to Caesar that which is Caesar's to God that which is God's" . So there is no reason not to comply ? Outwardly at least. As a former teacher I pondered on what I would have done in a similar situation? As I was there to teach? Simply evasion. Not disrupting. After all I was paid to teach. Not raise any other issues ? He could have taught ( was it not said though that he did not actually teach that child?) You can unless taking the register, avoid using a new name? If I felt as he did I would have avoided. Plenty of occasion in his own time afterwards? When he could have held forth..

Rather than the unavoidable disruption of the entire school. Not the job he was paid to do. ie he could have just walked out and stated why. Refused to comply and paid for that there and then.

But he is a zealot. Highly motivated, adamant. And in a way seeking martyrdom. Which is something that is rightly strongly condemned in most church circles. As it is for self.

He made his choice. And each of us is responsible for our own actions only. That included the child and the parents. So he must pay for his actions. Which includes being dismissed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Whatever about being a complete loon, you can't fault his work ethic 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 9,009 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

True, but just because he wants it to happen doesn't mean that it should't be done. The legal system is about blind and equitable justice, not second-guessing the strategies of publicity stuntman.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,689 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Firstly, that is someone on over 200k a year, more than a Minister, more than a Secretary General of a government department, it is an outlier.

Much more common is a case reported this week in IRN where procedural shortfalls in a dismissal led to an award of €6,150. That is more like what normally happens. In most cases, it is barely worth the while of the worker taking the case, especially if they pay a solicitor to take one, which is often necessary outside the cosseted unionised public sector.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Technically I think that the injunction barring him from attending the school would have come to an end when he was fired.

It was only there to force him to adhere to the terms of his suspension pending the hearing into his actions at the Public event that got him suspended in the 1st place.

Now though , he should be just covered by the same rules as anybody else if they just appeared at a random school and refused to leave.

It is no longer a civil matter , it is now potentially a criminal matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,781 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

‘Look! I am being victimised for my religious beliefs! Everyone is out to get me for me religious beliefs!’

Sotto voce, ‘If they just did what I want there’d be none of this’

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

Advertisement