Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last of Us - HBO *Spoilers* See warning in post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,826 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Some really good moments in ep2 like that scientist being straight up about bombing the city. Wheat mentioned again in the first known infection which someone on here copped last week.

Ellie doing the fake zombie thing really made me laugh. She could easily be annoying child character but they have managed to completely avoid that.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,823 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Yeah the flour thing basically confirmed as Jakarta has the biggest flour factory in the world. I'm hoping we get a short origin clip at the beginning of each episode. Between the companion podcast and new rockstars easter eggs video, so many things that are easily missed. Like the opening of the first episode in the kitchen has a radio broadcasting news of an incident in Jakarta which would have been 2 days after the cold open of the 2nd episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Really good episode.

The intro again was top drawer. I really appreciate the level of maturity in the writing here. Frequently in this genre, we see some carelessless or pure stupidity result in the problem escalating; scientists at odds with the government/military personnel, dropping vials of chemicals on the ground etc... The military/security person bringing in the expert, ensuring the expert draws a clean conclusion, has all the necessary answers for her Qs, and is readily willing to accept her expert opinion, even when it's quite startling.

I'm not sure we'll get many more cold opening segments like this ith unrelated characters - I think we'd fall into overlapping timeline territory, especially as it seemingly was kicking off in Jakarta on the same day it hit Texas.

The Hive mind sets things up for some increasing tense stakes later in the series, but I also see potential manipulation from our heroes here too, if they're clever. Clickers were great. That scene was tense.

I read some criticisms about Joel's "passiveness" in the show here compared to the game, but I personally think he's actually very well balanced; there's times he lets decisions pass, but when sh*t hits the fan, he's decisive, acts fast and doesn't suffer nonsense.

It's a very minor criticism, but I find when Ellie's got something to, Bella Ramsay is competent. She's been funny, and assured in line delivery etc. I find when she's not really the focus of a scene, she can look a little idle, like kinda odd facial expressions as if she's not really sure what to be doing. Look, young actress, with seasoned veterans around her, in a big production. Just curious if anyone else has noticed it.

Roll on Ep 3

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Episode 2 was very good- haven't played the game in a long while but can recognise the best parts of episodes from the game. The casting is on point though, the young actress was better this episode.

Be interesting if a second season (I'm pretty sure it will be renewed) will copy the second game, given that game was so polarising.

They're hardly going to cover the entire 1st game in one season, are they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,823 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Reviews said they yupp, they cover the whole first game.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,617 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Nah, I think it's the only way they could have done it. I think they've said they'd split the second game and do it over two seasons though. By the time that's done, there could even be a third game to work from.

They'll squeeze everything they can get out of it, but I think they'd also be wary enough not to go overboard either, or end up in a 'later seasons of Game of Thrones' situation.

Ya I would trust HBO more than most to make the right call on something like that.

To be honest they could have gotten 2 seasons out of the 1st game.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,676 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Good episode, especially the clicker scene. They really captured what made them so frightening and dangerous in the games. So far I think Bella is much closer to her in-game counterpart than Pedro, who seems to be doing his own thing with the character. This seems to be opposite of what everyone expected.

I think one season is right for the first game. I don't think part 2 needs more than one season either but the way they expanding on the supporting characters and world-building I can definitely see them splitting it in two.

I don't really think they could, at least not without seriously padding the TV show. The first game takes about 12-15 hours to complete, and that's with all the gameplay included, maybe add in another 2 hours for the Left Behind DLC which will be covered in the first season of the show. To make the first season of 9 episodes (approx. 1 hour each), they're already having to introduce some extra story beats, side characters etc which weren't in the game to make up for the loss of time which would be taken up by gameplay.

If they were to try stretch it even further into doing the first game over two seasons, they either would have had to introduce even more new side characters, locations, side stories etc, or just have a lot of sequences of Joel & Ellie sneaking around enemies, which could really make action sequences drag out too long. I think it'd also be hard to find a point in the middle of the game which would act as a good first season finale.

I think they made the right call in trying to keep a tight first season and tell the whole story of the first game. I think it would have made for two very uneven and padded seasons of a TV show if they spread it over two seasons. The second game would be far easier to split over two seasons, which I imagine they'll do.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,415 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I watched the first 3 episodes of From based on the recommendation as well. I wont bother with the rest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,417 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

There's a lot to be said for a TV season telling a complete story over one season - The Last of Us game has a clear, complete arc so it would undermine that to split it in two.

The second game does have a complete arc too, but it's also overlong and indulgent in the way most modern video games are. It'd make for a much busier season of television, and if anything could be pruned down to make a tighter story. There's also a clear narrative midpoint which would potentially serve as an effective end-of-season cliffhanger (or at least mid-season break). So it could go either way.

Druckmann has also all but confirmed that a third game is on the way. If we optimistically say that is two-three years away, then it would potentially arrive on time for a hypothetical fourth or even delayed third season of a TV show (assuming also that production on the two projects could overlap).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭SK1979

Really enjoying this so far. So glad that I resisted replaying part 1 recently as some of the smaller story beats are only coming back to me as I see them.

Just curious though, is it not strange that they haven’t actually announced season 2 yet? Normally HBO are quick to say that they’ve commissioned season 2 (3 even) when a show is a clear success.

Perhaps Druckman doesn’t want to do part 2 in a show?

maybe I’ve missed an update but just think it’s a bit strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Well, he does seem more reserved in the series. I suppose Joel was a bit more vocal in the game, simply to drive the game forward: Providing exposition and talking a bit more simply to fill in the time as you walk about. But yeah, Ramsey is fantastic. Her mannerisms are spot on. Again, the Irish-level swearing and then the little joys. She was always lippy but still a kid.

Game Spoiler: I'll keep it vague in case of accidents but still:

After her seeing the amazing view and her reaction, I cannot wait until THAT animal scene

It was great to see the first clickers. Absolutely spot on and scary. When you HEAR the click right beside Joel rather than the usual jump scare as he turns. This is not his first rodeo.

Series Spoiler: I'm loving the additions. Your expectations being subverted. Don't know if this should be spoilered as it's about last night's episode but just in case:

You almost expect the soldier to kill the scientist to keep her quiet. But then when you see his reaction when she says there is no cure, no vaccine, that is great. He's just a normal guy fearing.... and then confirming the worst. And then her response: Bomb. Bomb now. Bomb here. Bomb hard

I agree, Tess' story is handled better in the series. A bit more Hollywood than the game but that's OK. Music again spot on. And, hey Druckerman did a good job of directing a class episode.

For a lot of their bigger shows lately, HBO does them every two years. So season 2 of TLOU wouldn't come until 2025. It gives HBO enough time to judge reaction to the first season and decide whether or not to renew. It's almost guaranteed at this point though, it's doing huge numbers for HBO.

Neil Druckmann definitely seems interested in doing TLOU2 in the show though, and hinted in an interview they might do it over two seasons. But nothing is confirmed yet, and they might decide to go in a different direction either. I just wouldn't take the show not being renewed yet as a sign of anything. HBO don't work to the same types of schedules as other US TV channels. They can definitely do things at their own pace.

I love when the scientist comes straight out with "bomb the place"

You can see the General thinking"sht if the scientist is saying that we are fuked. In the movies I'm supposed to be the one saying that while the level headed scientist talks me out of it" 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

I'm enjoying the show, as a non-gamer. But, I am wondering if it destined to follow TWD. It's a problem with zombie TV shows, endless misery and brevity, I need cracks of optimism and levity in a show.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,125 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Part two will definitely get a season Druckmann will revel in the attention. With out mentioning obvious spoilers from the second game I imagine the second season will get mixed reactions from fans and obviously because of the content the media will run with it big time and no doubt praise the creators.

I'm curious to see how they play it out via tv but it could well turn out to be awful in many ways exactly like the second game!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭coolisin

I've played the PS3 version of the last of us only. So Decided last week to use the free 2 hour on the Part 1 (PS5 version) to play along. Seriously pondering spending the silly amount to play it again!

Episode 1 ties perfectly into that slot.

I wasn't warming to Bella Ramsey in episode 1, but her performance in this was perfect.

She nails Ellie, the pretending to check into the hotel etc. I think Pedro Pascal being colder, then bakers joel, suits the format. Loved the node to "I cant swim" I was yes go get that pallet Joel!

Only criticism is wasting bullets, no Knives/shivs.

Loving the extra explanation given at the start of both episodes. Jakarta mentioned in Ep1 getting an explanation here. The flour theory confirmed in Ep2 during the Jakarta sequence.

Looking forward to next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Yeah I think Bella Ramsey has nailed the Ellie character tbh. I thought she pulled off the personality in the pilot too, but she has alot more to work with in this episode and hit every mark imo. It really makes a mockery of the premature (and somewhat mean at times) criticism of her casting. I never understood why people got so mad over her being cast as Ellie, before seeing even a little bit of her performance.

It seemed to just be down to the fact she doesn't look exactly like the completely fictional character model from the game, and partially her performance as Lyanna Mormont on GOT, where people have trouble realising that just because an actor gives one type of performance in one role, doesn't mean they won't give a different type of performance in a different role (see also "They've cast the dude from Brokeback Mountain as the Joker??!!", "They've cast the sparkly vampire from Twilight as Batman??!!! etc etc).

I'd say if anything, Bella Ramsey is giving a more accurate portrayal as Ellie than Pedro Pascal is of Joel, as Pascal is playing it a lot more reserved and stoic in places than his game counterpart. It's absolutely working and is terrific, but I think his portrayal is the most different compared to Ellie and Tess.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Cordell

But there are roles that both make and break an actor's career, for example it would still be very difficult to see Jack Gleeson as anything else than Joffrey Baratheon.

Yeah but people are far too quick to be little b*tches about casting decisions before even seeing a frame of footage. Too many people judge actors based on one or two previous roles while ignoring the fact that the actor will have gone through the process of auditioning, casting, discussions with directors, rehearsals with other actors etc, and have been judged to be the best person for the role.

If Jack Gleeson was cast as the next Superman, I'd definitely think "Wow, that's certainly an interesting choice", but I wouldn't be expecting him to play the role like Joffrey in spandex and a cape. I'd assume that for whatever the directors and producers (as well as casting departments etc) want to do with the film, they've judged Jack Gleeson to be the best for the role out of everyone they considered, at least until I start seeing some sort of footage/trailers. People were very apprehensive about Bella Ramsey when she was announced just because she doesn't look exactly like Ellie and because of her performance in GOT.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭walkonby

I think they are softening Joel’s character anyhow.

He is motivated by concern for his brother, unlike the game. They avoided having him and Tess kill Robert at the start. We saw him make tentative attempts to connect with Ellie by talking about the knife. And I’m guessing they won’t have him all but admit to killing innocent victims in raids, like he did in the game (he didn’t argue with Tess about how they were survivors in the latest episode, as he did in the equivalent scene in the game.)

Post edited by pixelburp on

Even if Part 2 becomes two seasons of the series, which I think is probable, it’s unlikely that Part 3 would be near ready for release by the time it ends. But the script might be complete, allowing the series to precede the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Cordell

But he did kill that guard who, in that particular moment, was just doing its job of keeping the QZ safe.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,417 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It's definitely possible TLOU 3 is years away, especially given extended development times these days. But since it has been nearly three years since TLOU 2 already, it's definitely possible they could release a sequel by 2025 or 2026, which would nicely coincide with further series of the show - especially since HBO is fairly flexible with season gaps compared to others.

Sony first-party studios are generally quite efficient with sequel turnarounds these days - look at GOW Ragnarok or Horizon Forbidden West, or the rate Insomniac pumps out games. There were only four years between Uncharted 4 and TLOU 2 as well. But anything can happen in game development, so it's definitely not a given - just a possibility :)

• Advertisement

Thats true, but that guard was Fedra, who are bad, and had joked that he could just shoot Joel if he wanted in a previous scene, and Joel was triggered by a flashback to his daughter’s death (connecting her and Ellie in a way Game Joel doesn’t do until much later).

Advertisement