Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland running out of accommodation for Ukrainian refugees due to surge in non-Ukrainian refugees?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

Where in north Sligo? I’ve heard the owners of the Beach Hotel have changed their minds about selling and may be taking in refugees instead. First I’ve heard about modular homes though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Carney. I know that there's a few hundred of them already living in Rosses Point at Cregg House, which is another odd one. They aren't a million miles away from town, but there's not much else going on in that part of the world, especially in the off season. At least in that instance they are nearly all Ukrainians, but unless you've transport there's little to do around there, so I'd wonder how long they'd tolerate it. Mullaghmore is the same though, it's a ghost town most of the year, what exactly would they do with their time?

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 3,283 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

I see the new narrative is "what do you expect when you put a lot of people of different nationalities together? Is this an admission that multiculturalism doesn't work?. Unless the government start giving these people their own houses it will be Ireland fault.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/overcrowding-blamed-citywest-refugee-centre-26055164

Overcrowded conditions have been blamed as the reason for brawl breaking out in a refugee centre last night.

Gardai were called out to the Citywest refugee centre last night just after 6.30pm due to two groups of men fighting. Three men were taken to hospital with minor injuries.

No arrests have been reported. Movement of Asylum Seekers Ireland co-founder Lucky Khambule said crowded conditions and a mix of cultures were the reasons for the incident.

Read more: Three hospitalised following public order incident at Citywest accommodation

He told RTE's Morning Ireland: "My understanding from speaking to the people from there is that it started with a group that were throwing bottles to each other. Then the whole thing started and blew up like that.

"And remember, people don't have anything to do there - they are in one space 24/7. Things like this are bound to happen when you put a group of people from all different nationalities together."

Lucky added that people will always come to Ireland even if there is a prospect of homelessness as Integration Minister Roderic O'Gorman has warned. He said: "No, it won't make any difference... people will always come for whatever reason they come to the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Mullaghmore would be one bleak place for refugees in Winter. Nearest doctor miles away Nearest large supermarket miles away.

Has anyone quantified the number of jobs lost in tourism by turning hotels into direct provision centres? Never mind the lost in tourist spend in these areas.

The mandatory registration of self catering accommodation is the next attack on Irish tourism.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,305 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

A very serious incident is only around the corner.

Nobody wants it to happen but things are getting worse and worse and only matter of time now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I'm surprised the government hasn't leased/ rented ships as temporary accomodation, not nessesarily cheap , but very flexible, and relatively self contained , while usually still in an urban setting ..

I know the dutch have used them recently ,so maybe the Irish gov was a bit slow getting hold of them .. (+ a lot were scrapped during covid )

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Just thinking about what you said about the hotel. Doesn't that show us the exact problem? They can likely make more money running a DP center there than if they sold it, and when incentives like that exist, every man who owns a building as such, will be getting his piece of the pie eventually.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Pier Head always closes for winter. So does Paddy’s place (the only shop). It pretty much hibernates till Easter.

The Grand Central only required a skeletal staff last year. Bedding and towels were left at the door and occupants were responsible for making own beds and keeping room tidy. Bar/restaurant closed so no staff required there either.

It's a beautiful spot in the summer, full of life, but in the off season it's the complete opposite. Hardly anyone exists there at all, I don't even think the small shop is opened there anymore. They'd have to walk a few miles just to get to the shop in Cliffoney. They'd have to get to Grange just to use a post office or do a big shop. There's clearly not a bit of thinking going on at the minute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭bertieinexile

Speaking for myself I'd be quite open to any candidate who was clasping rosary beads, but your "right wing nutjob carrying a copy of mein kampf" is far too close to a description of the NP for them to ever get elected.

The disappointment are the Freedom Party. They've plenty of young professionals, with fresh Politics and Philosophy degrees out of Trinity and UCD, who are in advisory and PR roles but having waited for a moment like this they just aren't ready.

The preparation hasn't been done. They don't even project an electable image.

Both Micahel Leahy and Hermann are pleasant enough people but they're not front men. And the absence of any obvious people to take that role is another problem.

Is Malachy interested? Are they interested in him? I don't know.

If you fancy standing for the Freedom Party yourself in the next elections I get the impression you can get the gig by just applying. Can't see how that could possibly go wrong.

So in the absence of a half way presentable and organised centre right party with a strong border policy, all you're left with are these noises coming out of FG. And the obvious opportunity available to FG to take a bite out of SF support.

(BTW, I wouldn't dream of voting FG myself. I still remember Garret. As for FF - who the hell even thinks about FF any more)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

It’s absurd that the government are demanding people apply for planning permission to allow short term lets in private houses while simultaneously and without planning permission, housing people, long term in hotels, offices, schools, sports halls.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Miadhc

That's not an Irish Nationalist mate. That's a clown with no knowledge of history. Collins would have him face the wall

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭DaithiMa

And just when you thought the insanity couldn't get any worse...

So it is now official, International Protection applicants who have destroyed their documents will now be sent forth to roam the streets until O'Gorman rings them with acommodation. Can't see any potential issues whatsoever arising from this latest hare-brained plan.

Why doesn't he put a temporary stop on this craziness, just to give us a bit of time and space to try and come up with a plan.

Post edited by DaithiMa on

I have a property listed on Airbnb. I have never been contacted asking if I would do an extended stay. I’ve always wondered why.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

RTE pedalling the refugee asylum seeker line for all they are worth.

Even discussing different topic with AGS commissioner got in little swipe about foreign right wingers getting involved in protests.

They are also pushing agenda for exclusion zones.

Fooking hell at this stage expect them to come out and bloody say we are goign to turf the locals out and plant the areas,

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

I spat my tea in laughter when i read this. "Please freeloaders, could you possibly refrain from jumping on the plane to come here and 'losing' your documents on the way, at least for a while until we get this sorted. Thank you please".

Gormless portfolio should be "Minister for disintegration", idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Hungry Burger

Like that will stop anyone…

let’s ditch the “asking” and start “telling”

Soft touch country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭batman_oh

But certain people kept saying we have loads of space and it's racist to say otherwise. Are our government racist now too? The plot thickens!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Dslatt

I know Hermann, he is far from pleasant enough and wont be happy until we return to the 1950's.

Also how can you be in a place of “safety” yet still be seeking “refuge” Refuge from what!!?

Talk about having cake and eating it as well. Joke.

The wheels are coming off. They're losing control of the situation and the narrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Going on and on about paschels 1300e expenses. Wtf is this shite costing us and its not just financial either.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭bertieinexile

Movement of Asylum Seekers Ireland co-founder Lucky Khambule on Morning Ireland.

Lucky added that people will always come to Ireland even if there is a prospect of homelessness as Integration Minister Roderic O'Gorman has warned. He said: "No, it won't make any difference... people will always come for whatever reason they come to the country.

The point Lucky is making is that even without the availablitity of shelter those coming here have a very compelling reason for picking Ireland.

I think that reason is the ease of obtaining asylum status here compared to the UK say. Add to that the Minister waving EU citizenship in front of the whole of Ukraine and Helen McEntee's amnesties for those here illegally and her lucky bag passports for all.

It makes sense to get in here and put up with living on the street if that's on offer in the short term.

And if you're on the street it would seem like the rational thing to do would be form in to gangs for mutual protection.

They won’t be on the street. I’m sure all the open border, diversity grifters will open up their doors to these people… NOT!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,283 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

It's sickening all the same. He can do that, and nothing bad will be said about him, he won't be called a Nazi or far right. When the rest of us were making similar suggestions on similar grounds a long time ago, we got every negative label possible attached to us. But like they say, the difference between a "right wing conspiracy" and a reality, is only few months.

One of the liason teachers was quoted in the article about the move to Milltown

How unfair it is, they are not 'sponging off the state'

Eh? Are they paying for this themselves? Including a bus to bring 24 kids to and from school

Meanwhile some irish kids didn't get a ticket on their school bus at the start of the school year .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,835 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Listening to Mike Allen of Focus Ireland on the News at One and he thinks Roderick O'Gorman and his department are 'not' the problem. He reckons poor decisions around overstretched accommodation in the country are being made at cabinet / government level.

He has no issues with refugees btw. He correctly points that the Irish homeless situation and the direct provision system are two completely different subjects and stresses that Focus Ireland's services have not been impacted by there being more asylum seekers in the country in the last year.

Advertisement