Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paschal Donohoe expenses controversy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,493 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Very small beer, compared to the other issues the country is facing. I don't know why media are making such a meal out of it.

Go or stay, whatever, I don't care. Politician in money going astray shocker.

Govt just get your sh1t together and fix the damn country already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Why is it small beer? Because we've been told it's only a grand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,906 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Now maybe I'm just cynical, or maybe it's watching politics in this country for years, but somehow I just think there's more to come yet!

It's only money, no one has died.

If the govt don't get their act together with housing and health people WILL die.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Because it is absolute small fry in the terms of seriousness. Nothing criminal here. He’s human. There were errors made, no laws broken. You’re way OTT here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Floppybits

People have died. According to the Irish Times homeless services have said 357 people died over a 5 year period to 2021 and 70 died in 2022 and that is just Homeless people, god knows what the numbers are with people dying waiting on procedures or waiting in A&E. All this government have done is make SF look like a viable alternative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,565 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

The timing of the Ditch articles and the Stone apology - will make for a feisty Dail Q&A.

What time is the rascal on?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

So where does the line get drawn? Considering we have a Varadkar leaking a confidential document to his mates, Coveney setting up Zappone with a cushy number, Covid restrictions been re-written to save Varadkar after attending the Zappone party at the Merrion, Woulfe appointment to the supreme court, Murphy making off with the expenses, Troy and his 11 forgotten houses, English lying on a planning application and now Donohue and the donations and awarding of seats on state boards to his mate who made the donations. So again I will ask where does the line get drawn? What's the point in having Standards in Public Office if they can be waved off because its small fry? Usually what happens is that they get away with the small fry and then move onto to bigger and if you for 1 minute believe that this is all there is then you are very naïve, this I'd say hasn't even scratched the surface of what these politicians are getting up to.

Totally, this is developing world sh1t in a supposedly rich 1st world country. Of course 'twill be grand' apologists will be on saying that it happens in lots of countries i.e. there's an acceptable number of people who will die on the streets and die on hospital waiting lists.

Great post. There's a few missing off that list too.

• Advertisement

They were all the ones that came off the top of my head but still it shows where does the line get drawn? It seems every time there is something like this the line gets moved further and further back, I am beginning to think that there isn't a line or maybe its that there is no line for FFG but of all others that line is very high.

I certainly never said criminal (that we know of yet) but still a resigning matter.

If you take undeclared payments, from somebody who's benefited from the decisions of your party, and can't credibly account for them, you should resign.

It's simply not good enough.

And human error does not hold up either. Are you telling me Stone can run this massive business, managing multi-million private and public contracts but can't follow this political donations procedure? Conveniently at the same time PDs election agent had these human errors too? Come off it.

And where is small fry coming from? You haven't justified that beyond saying it's your feeling 🤷‍♂️ Is it because of this 1000e figure?

I don't need to justify anything. A resigning issue is not always black and white. In this case, I think a resigning would be OTT. I do not feel what has happened (to date, maybe more will emerge) is calls for him to resign.

Of course you're not going to justify anything. It's all just about getting the message across 'small beer', 'human error', 'nothing to see here, move along'.

Maybe you are genuine, it just comes across as very scripted. Like you're just trying to get the party line out.

Paschal is struggling with the numbers.

He is trying his best to attribute some of Stone's donations to FG in order to evade limits.

The limit on donations to parties is €2,500, whereas it is €1,000 to individuals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Sharp memories are for little people. His recall is on a more meta level. Not a details man is our Pascal.😜

The usual with the political class.

But again this is all just coming from their own figure of 1000e.

Looking at the number of people employed and what other candidates declared on poster spend, I think it's likely to be over 2.5k anyway.

Oh without a doubt. They are cooking the books.

Minister Neal Richmond (FG) was a disaster on Radio 1. Usual BS lines and attacking SF before deflecting to SIPO. The same toothless SIPO that cannot investigate anything unless there is a complaint made.

Red rotten.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,333 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Lol, Matt Carty just sounded absolutely ridiculous on Drivetime.

You wouldn’t be dealing with the sharpest knife in the block there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭screamer

Well I’m still not convinced, his body language was enough for me.

being honest though, if we accept **** from our politicians, **** is what we shall get and lots of it. The amounts involved are small, the principles are huge. Don’t particularly like or dislike PD but he’s dirtied the bib and for that reason I’m out, he has to go, or do we eat **** sandwich again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

I would not be looking at sf to make things better.

In NI and in sf controlled councils, the homeless issue is far worse than the south and the health system up North is on its knees like the rest of the nhs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,333 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Not saying people should accept some of situations we are seeing in housing and health, but yes, the perfect is very often the enemy of the good, as opposed to Countries like Britain, Hungary, Serbia, Poland, even America, where many are the bad that are the enemy of the good.

Its long past time we recognised how good we have it and stop trying to obsessively point score at the expense of good government.

The Minister for 'Standards' in Public Office clearly fooled some of ye! 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭TipsyMcStagge

The FG shills are on now out to bat for dodgy Donohoe.

I didn't say anywhere that SF would make things better, what I said was that this government have made SF a viable alternative. SF are on 30 odd percent in the polls and it is not because they are any great shakes but because this government is rotten to the core. This PD thing may seen small but when added in with everything else it gives the impression that they are corrupt and looking after cronys. I listed a whole slew to strokes this government have pulled and your response was to say look at SF in NI. If that is all FFG supporters have in response then they are in a bad place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

ALL politicians are only in this game for themselves. That's becoming very obvious. SF offer very little in the way of solutions to any of our problems in health, education, housing etc but because those in power are so so poor they are looking better every day! Our once great little country is on a downward spiral that's for sure.

• Advertisement

That’s not true. Not every politician is in it for themselves.

Plenty are really good hard working people trying their very best (in a real thankless job to many) trying to better the lives of people.

Tell ya one thing, if all these politicians heard you and said, shag it, we’ll leave it alone… wouldn’t be to long before people would realise the efforts they make and their essential role in a civilised and progressive society.

they’re not perfect. They’re people, like us all. And at times they will make poor choices and decisions, and it’s sad that it’s always these errors that people zone in on, and can’t ever see all the positives they bring.

Advertisement