Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Howth Junction Court, St Donagh's Park, Kilbarrack a nice area?

Options
  • 24-01-2010 9:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

I'm considering buying an apartment in owth Junction Court, St Donagh's Park, Kilbarrack - this exact area..... I'm a young single girl, originally from southside and amn't familiar at all with this area! So would love some honest opinions from ppl that are familiar with St Donagh's Kilbarrack!

Would you consider it a pleasant and more importantly safe area for a single young woman to live??

Thanks for your feedback in advance!! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Is this the recent development right next to the railway bridge? You will have railway noise. Is there parking and what is the actual access to the station like?

The area south and east of the railway had been considered rough, but has improved a lot in recent years.

If you don't know the area, why are you buying there in the current market?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

I wouldn't if i was you but it's a personal thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

amandaw1 wrote: »
    I'm considering buying an apartment in owth Junction Court, St Donagh's Park, Kilbarrack - this exact area..... I'm a young single girl, originally from southside and amn't familiar at all with this area! So would love some honest opinions from ppl that are familiar with St Donagh's Kilbarrack!

Would you consider it a pleasant and more importantly safe area for a single young woman to live??

I went to see this development last Sunday. It's a receivership sale. The builder even has his own Daft page - http://www.daft.ie/agent.daft?id=8321&p=qpvuyvwu. The same builder also built The Strand Apts in D3.

Out of 21 apts (all 2 beds), 3 are sold and out of the 3, 2 are occupied. There's a lovely sign on the side of the building with "Costello Construction 2007" on it.....

There's no management company setup yet and in general the place is a bit tatty. The EA couldn't offer any guidance as to when this issue would be sorted out and was of the opinion that the mgt fees would be in the region of 1.8k (but would be more than likely 1.2k - big fcuking difference Mr EA :rolleyes:). Security is an issue, especially the ground floor apts, which have no proper fencing to seperate the ground at the back.. The side gate lock is broke.

The railway goes behind the development, so expect to hear a train every 5 - 10 odd minutes go by from probably 6am to 12 at night.

The prices you see are without furniture. 10k extra for that :rolleyes:

I spoke to a older couple who are living there. They said they've had no problems since they moved in. But truth be told, the look of the housing estate on the approach to the apts do look rough. The only positive I could see from the place is that the DART is less than 5 minutes away.

If you want my opinion, for what it's worth, the prices are not good value at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Oliver1985

Hey Im familar with this area grew up in it :D.
    As a single girl I wouldnt move in there its very rough around there , the trains going by would not bother me it be more the anti-social behaviour !
    Ill p.m you a few links for around the area that might be of better interest to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

No

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Lillylilly

I'm really familiar with the area, and as a twenty someting girl- I wouldn't be comfortable living there. You're safe if you're known in the area, but I don't know how it would be for someone living isolated from friends and family. There are a lot of young kids/ teens in the area and not a lot of recreational facilities. The kids hang around at the train station, and the bridge over it. They often spend nights drinking and listening to music there. I've often heard abuse be hurled at people just waiting for trains minding their own business and more recently while I was waiting for a train, teenagers on their way home from school started throwing stones at me and the oncoming train!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 amandaw1

@LillyLilly: Thanks.. that's the consensus i've been getting from quite a few ppl! So appreciate a girls point! Plus if you've grown up in the area and still getting stones thrown at you by the local kids... definately off-putting!

@Stepbar: I did't realise it was in receivership.. .there is no management company? Good to know you've been and viewed the property already and hear your thoughts!

@Oliver - thanks for your suggestions! Input is great!! :D Veryhelpful!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Lillylilly

@LillyLilly: Thanks.. that's the consensus i've been getting from quite a few ppl! So appreciate a girls point! Plus if you've grown up in the area and still getting stones thrown at you by the local kids... definately off-putting!

I actually went to school just opposite Kilbarrack train station so spent every day for six years out there. I have friends in the area and met the love of my life out there. His family home is just up the road from the train station, so we are still out there quite a lot. They don't recieve any trouble, but they're a bit further up from all the newer estates and apartments. There is a lovely sense of community in the areas further away from the station but there are so many young kids that are just left to their own devices for the day that hang around the "green" areas at the apartments. You should take a trip up to check it out (off peak if you can, so you can see what it would be like with the kids off school). It will give you a feel for the place and you can make your own decision!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Hobo Sapiens

Don't do it - that area is dismal, depressing, and dangerous. (No doubt there are nice people living there, and no offense to you, but the OP can do a lot better - Sutton, for example.)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Personal choice on my part- but I'd really rather not live there if I could find a better area at all. I know that there are many good people living in Kilbarrack, and its not fair to tar them all with the same brush- but given the choice, I'd really rather explore other options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Irregardless of the area, the build quality of the complex would be a greater cause for concern to me.

I lived in The Strand apartments for a year, these apartments were built by the same Costello group and even look very similar architecturally to the Killbarrack development.

Living in The Strand I found them to be built poorly, the most annoying issue was the noise traveling from apartments all round us. The apartment above had wooden floors and I didnt think it was possible for someone to walk around in high heels for as long as they did on a daily basis. They also had Sky Conway as the sole TV provider...USELESS.

Speaking from experience, I'd never part with my money to rent of buy either of the Costello developments mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Christian Cripple

"DART inspector terrified by attack [at Howth Junction Station]" June 23 2011 Evening Herald

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

I grew up in Kilbarrack and It's a kip. It's true that there are a lot of nice people in the area but they are from the area, your not. A single girl living there would want to have her head checked to buy a house/apartment in the area. I have been back to the area maybe 8 times in the last 20 years. Do yourself a favour and don't do it the 'kids' there would chew you up and spit you out in Bubbles. hey lily we went to the same school.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Tomtata

100K for 721 Sq. Feet two bed dog box - Don’t go near them.

There is a 4 bed house beside them for 150K - http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=619357

Both are overpriced in the current market.

The comments about growing up in the area are true. You basically need to be wide to your surroundings.

Apartments are dead for the next 20 years - Supply totally overlooks demand / population - Just look what Nama are doing.

Get yourself a 3 / 4 bed house, stay the fook away from apartments.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 sadieirl

I'm living very close to Kilbarrack for the last 5 years and I have to say I love it. There is a great community spirit and loads of local services and facilities.
    I grew up on Griffith Ave and there was like everywhere else in Ireland an element of anti social behaviour. I would agree with other posters and look at houses instead of apartments in already established areas in Kilbarrack.
    Good Luck
    :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I grew up a 5 minute walk from there. Don't do it ;) seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

The OP posted this thread 2 years ago so I'm sure she's made a decision by now :-p

• Registered Users Posts: 2 MadameC

Hi I am currently looking to buy at an apartment in Howth Junction too. I wonder what decision did @amandaw1 take. Anyone else has another opinion more recent opinion ? Is this still considered an unsafe area for a young girl to live ? Thanks

Post edited by MadameC on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Xterminator

none of the above factors have changed. its priced to reflect that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 sellinggaff

I'll admit I don't know the specific development the OP referred to (it's hardly the grey ones beside the Kilbarrack Rd railway bridge? If it is my word, they haven't aged well to be only 13 years old) but I know the Kilbarrack area quite well, and I have never read such a steaming load of hyperbolic nonsense in all my days.

Pal of mine lives near the train station for about 5 or 6 years now, when he tells people where he gets the guff you would read above.

Yes, he's seen a burned out car, mobs of 30, 40 teenagers brawling with gangs from (he heard) Darndale at the station every summer, the occasional Garda car at the station to remove nuisance passengers (again, summer), at least two shootings in the last five years, lads beat down a door and battered an occupant of a house, bonfires on the green.

And you know what? He couldn't care less. Why would he? He wasn't the target of either shooting. He didn't owe money to the lads doling out the beating. The teenagers are brawling among themselves. The bonfires last 10 minutes before the fire brigade pull up and if they didn't, who cares.

6 years and the worst thing ever happened was some little git robbed his wheelie bin for the bonfire.

Some hilarious pearl clutching on this thread. Probably the same lot who are convinced town is a violent post apolyptic lawless wasteland when it's statistically one of Europe's safest and most heavily policed city centres.

I like all this advice about it being unsafe for a young girl on her own. Thread is 13 years old, I take it somebody will be along to post all the muggings, rapes, murders of women in the area since then?

• Advertisement

ive seen drug dealing in board daylight, girls harassed and abused and threats and physical attacks against lads just coming and going and minding their own business.

and im not the only one. is 2022 recent enough for you? how about the young girl pushed under a train on 2021?

im glad your mate is grand. ive never been messed with either, by these cowards, but if i was a single female i'd get the H1 instead!

"I've seen drug dealing in broad daylight"

By this, you've seen a young lad on a bicycle hand over a bag of green to another young lad, or there is an open air 24 hour drug market with teams of runners, dealers using hand signals serving passing cars, shouting out drug names, regular Garda raids on drug corners, and other stuff straight off The Wire.

You might be amazed to know some people in Malahide and Howth smoke weed, the dealer will orobably not live there but will drive out there most likely, yet you won't read pearl clutching about "broad daylight drug dealing".

My mate has never seen one of the incidents you describe in all those years living in the area (well bar the drug handovers- people buying recreational drugs, the thought of it!). He did hear of some Spanish students getting attacked at the station some years ago, that can happen literally anywhere in Dublin during the summer. There are teenage gangs fighting each other during the summer- estate vs estate, school vs school, and other imaginary battlelines teenagers have brawled over since the dawn of time.

There are junkies in the area- like most Dublin junkies they are in their 40s/ 50s, walking dead and well past their hell raising years for the most part. There are some scaldy fuckers in St Berachs, much like there's scaldys in 450k new estates where 10% of the homes are social and a good chunk of the rest are on various subsidised rental schemes.

I wouldn't live there because the traffic is a bit of a bastard (getting out of Raheny village crossroads, and the Greens have absolutely destroyed Fairview so driving into town is no longer viable) but I would have no reason safety wise to dissuade anybody either.

If a few teenagers running amok but keeping it among themselves, and a bit of green being delivered are your definition of a rough area you need to get out more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Not to worry about howth junction, there are harder drugs dealt on the Southside 🤣🤣 but no we won't talk about them as they are different.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

Sellinggaff you have a point in that sense that Boardsies can often be ridiculous sheltered classist snobs, especially in property discussions. But at the same time, I wouldn't particularly fancy having gangs of young scummers brawling or bonfires on the green outside my house. I think that's fair enough like, you can demand a little bit more out of your community rather than just laying back and going "ah sure the Guards/Fire Department will sort that out, thats their problem".

don't forget the original question was from "a young single girl, originally from southside and amn't familiar at all with this area!"

the question was not are you okay with it, or would a local be okay with it. the question is would the antisocial behavior make a single young lady from the southside feel intimidated or uncomfortable.

its not a debate as to the merits of the area, nor if people should have a neighborhood watch, etc. Quite simply i wouldn't like my daughter to be put in those circumstances alone. if another poster feels different that's fine. it is an opinion after all.

Fair enough.

My 2 cents- anybody worried about their personal safety in the general Kilbarrack area should probably stay in the house 24/7.

I took a Google search there and the last time somebody died violently in the area appears to be in August 2003. 20 years ago this summer. There was also a man shot dead on the greens across the road in Donaghmede in the 2000s. And another shot dead beside Donaghmede S.C.

Not exactly Kilbarrack though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Advertisement