Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭AccidentallyOnside

So second captains mentioned in passing there were rumours bundee is trying to get a move to munster.....which seems crazy to me, but what do I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

This has been mentioned in various places. He's not happy at Connacht, or Connacht are not happy with him, or both, depending on who you believe. Something is definitely off, but apparently he's extended his central contract to end of next season (although this has yet to be announced), so something has to give.

My bet is Andy Friend will leave in a few months and there will be a reconciliation with Aki.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Strand1970

Bundee has extended his central contract until next year but I don't think he has extended his connacht contract. He will be staying in Ireland next season but maybe not with connacht

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

The only consistent rumour seems to be that Bundee had acted in an unprofessional manner after retuning from suspension. Even if that's true, I'd still find it very hard to see him ending up at Munster. You could make the point that Bundee (maybe Hansen aside in the past season) is our only marketable player. We need every bit of help we can get if we want to bump attendances up in the redeveloped Sportsground.

I think that the Bundee problem can be thought of separately. He's been either on international duty or suspended for most of the season and I don't think that he's played well when we have him. I hadn't expected him to be considered and don't even think he's an automatic selection on form right now. If he's managed to cause enough disruption within the squad to affect how we're playing then things are either incredibly bad or have been poorly managed.

Our two big player issues are only having one out half and not having anyone to manage the backfield without TOH on the pitch. Carty realistically needed time off to get fully ready in September and we already knew that Tiernan needed a relpacement. There should be sufficient quality everywhere in the backs to both attack and defend but we've spent a whole season with malfunctioning structures, constant rotation, not building any combinations, and not solving key problems. Most our backs can't have become poor players over the Summer. Do you look at a Connacht team sheet and see backlines that look like experiments?

There's definitely a question to be asked about the mentality of the players at times but ultimately the coaches have failed to build what is needed. The leadership have had enough time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

I think that's it in a nutshell. Bundee is not even relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Not sure how many rumours there have been about players moving to Munster in recent years but it’s been a lot and none have come off, Dillane a few times, Aki previously, TOH was reported in Indo same day new contract was announced couple of years ago, others I can’t recall.

If you’re settled in Galway and playing first choice rugby, I’m not sure there’s massive appeal in a move to Munster.

If Connacht’s regression continues or Munster rise to near Leinster they may start to actually happen.

I think this situation is different to the previous Ultan, Tiernan, and Bundee ones. Those were examples of another province making an enquiry about a player who was in contract negotiations but who was happy to stay once a the right Connacht offer was on the table. There's nothing wrong with those discussions - we've normally been the beneficiary from them recently. A lot of journalists are happy to get some easy column inches once they're told there's interest. This time we have a player who is in contract, having a disagreement with his province, and will have needed to be an active party in any suggested move before it gained traction.

I can see how Bundee might not be completely happy with things at Connacht. He'll keep coming back from a high performance international setup where the players are having major impacts to a dysfunctional backline in games where the season's outcome is already in serious doubt. You can't just slot in and play well in a failing structure without any cohesion. We spend most of last season unable to defend and most of this season struggling to attack. A player might start to feel like his primary purpose is to sell season tickets and want to be in a position to win things again.

That said he only has himself to blame for a long suspension and the messy falling out there seems to have been in camp.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

It’s interesting that it seems to be generally accepted that it’s Friend that Aki fell out with and not Wilkins. Is there any reason for that to be the care? As it coincides with Wilkins taking a step up.

Of course it’s possibly these links may be more substantive but I still find it unlikely to happen. Aki would either have to uproot his family who are well settled in Galway at this stage and everything that goes along with it in terms of changing homes schools etc or take on a two hour commute daily, not exactly ideal for an elite sportsman. For potentially only one year with a province still fairly unlikely to win anything. Also leaving a province where he is beloved on what would inevitably be a bit of a sour note. They are reasonably likely to stay in Galway long term also I believe.

If the rift is large enough and Wilkins is appointed of course it’s possible but I still think high likelihood is it to be another one in the category of rumoured to Munster but remains with Connacht.

• Advertisement

The travel is an absolute non-issue if you're commuting from Oranmore to UL in fairness. Plenty travel 2 hours daily for probably a fifth of what he's paid.

I understand your point but I would say it’s far from ideal for a professional athlete to be doing two hours commute every day (assuming a relatively clear run). Munster did make it work somehow when they had two bases in the 2000s I suppose! I doubt there’s any international player in Ireland doing that daily these days however.

Friend seems fairly definite Aki will be here next season anyway. Standing by their selection for last weekend also but I suppose wouldn’t expect any other answer.

I think Joey Carbery is commuting from Kildare every day. Dunno if it's 2 hours, but a decent spin most days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Dylan Tierney-Martin signed through to 2026. Big show of faith, we don't hand out many 3 year deals.

Funny thing is that I believe Joey could be an answer to Connacht's woes and to his own problems as well. As discussed we have 10 and 15 issues. He just might be the answer

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Strand1970

Swap Joey for bundee? Now that a novel idea. Don't think Joey would be too keen

Joey is fit for about 4 games a year too. Would be a massive waste of money for a sicknote.

Connacht is a really decent team. It just needs an out-half. Much like McGinty in 2016. That team (which was a darn good team) was going nowhere until McGinty. Amazing how one player can change everything

That is such a terrible post.

McGinty was good, but the team were doing fantastic before he arrived. Also, Shane O'Leary probably played as often as AJ after Jack got injured.

• Advertisement

I agree with bazwraf. During the league win season the key things were 1) a quality replacement in AJ when Jack got injured and 2) having already built the performing structures where individual players became interchangeable. Shane O'Leary slotted in well because of how well drilled the team were.

This season Jack has come back from a surgery that will have have restricted his ability to kick or pass for two to three months. He clearly wasn't match ready but we've had to stick him straight into a malfunctioning backline because our alternatives are a 12 who can cover 10 but needs lots of game time there, an out of form 12 who occasionally provides bench cover at 10, or a young 10 who's gone backwards massively.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Hawkshaw signed on for 2 more years.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,466 ✭✭✭✭cson

Not sure how universally beloved Bundee is anymore if you heard the reaction of some in the Clan to his substitution vs Ulster!

Those comments were in very poor taste and not a reflection of core Connacht support. I was close to one of those folks and they clearly had got into 'the New Year spirit' very early in the day

Any idea how long he's expected to be injured for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

No mention that I've see other than it's his ankle. There was probably an update from the Craggy crew but I haven't got around to listening to it. Would be great if it's not serious as he has hit the ground running. Would live if he got more game time at 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Think he’s back mid February but will miss the only match Connacht have in February

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

There's a lot of merit in this idea, unfortunately it will never happen. I'd be surprised if Joey doesn't concentrate on earnings maximization after 2024, probably in France.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,620 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭testtech05

2 Yr extension for Sam Illo today and the Treviso game fixed for April fools day, seems fitting enough.

Advertisement