Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 11 locked to three

Options
  • 21-01-2023 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Hi all,

I have an IPhone 11 that’s locked to the 3 network- I can’t unlock it as it’s a business phone and I don’t know who the contact person in my company is and if they would authorise the unlock.

The 3 pay pay sim offers are terrible at €30 a month at least.

‘Are there any other sims that would work in this phone?

Ive looked to get the phone unlocked in many phone shops but theyve said it’s not possible.

It’s a perfectly good phone going to waste!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,140 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Three has prepay plan as low as €15. This particular had promotion few times now to include AYCE data, may be it will return

https://www.three.ie/shop/plans/prepay-phone-plans.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭KildareP

You'll have to get onto the corporate team via the account manager unfortunately.

No way of working around an iPhone manufacturer unlock as it has to go through Apple and the phone needs to check in with Apple to process the unlock as opposed to entering an unlock code like pretty much every other manufacturer.

From memory, I don't think it will even take a Three prepay SIM either if it's locked to a business account, as Three still provision their business platform on the ex-O2 network so for all intents and purposes the business account will be using O2 Ireland SIM's as opposed to Three, and the phone will be locked to O2 Ireland.

You can check by going to Settings - General - About, look for the line "ICCID" and it probably starts with 8935302 as opposed to 8935305...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

That’s great info thanks I’ll check and report back.

sorry but this is absolutely pure fiction

Three have long ago been separate from O2 Ireland, which no longer exists in any form in this country, phones from three are locked to three. Business contracts are just consumer handsets with different plans.

You are correct that unlocks are done through Apple because it’s done through iOS and the process is automatic. However you can sometimes use SIM cards from networks which use Three’s Virtual Network. Virgin, Lyca Mobile, Tesco etc.

No guarantee those will work. However if you want to unlock it for a small fee you can use a website such as unlock.ie. You just need your IMEI.

An iPhone 11 locked to three will cost you about €120 though. They’re not exactly cheap these days.

I’ve a 48 sim that doesn’t work in the phone and they’re off the three network so I presume a Lyca mobile or Tesco sim wouldn’t work either?

• Advertisement

So how are unlock.ie able to unlock iPhone 11s? Do they contact apple instead of your provider and apple have no issue with this?

I don’t think Apple cares who makes the request tbh!

So can I make the request? I presume there’d be no difference in me asking for the phone unlocked or unlock.ie asking as we both aren’t the authorised person on the bill?

I mean god loves a trier.

I think it’s about as likely to work as if you contact a supermarkets supplier to purchase products through them if you get me. I don’t think the contact details for the department within Apple that handles these requests is public information.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭KildareP

I can assure you, it is not (I manage several Three corporate accounts), unless of course it has changed since the last addition we put through start of December!

• Advertisement

So can switcher.ie get an account unlocked? Obviously they’re not the authorised person.

You’re not unlocking an account you’re unlocking the handset. Yes, unlock.ie can unlock an iPhone. They’re just as an example by the way, you can literally just google “phone unlocking” and pick from 1000 other places including walk in repair shops.

I don’t know why this is so strange to anyone phone unlocking has been around for yonks 🤔

For the record, I just mentioned them because I personally have used them in the past without any issues.

I’ve never had to get a phone unlocked.

The phone can’t be unlocked by me-a third party, yet it can be unlocked by switcher.ie-a third party.

Just seems strange I have to pay €100 odd euro to get the phone unlocked by a third party when i don’t see why I can’t request it directly off Apple.

Phone shouldn’t be locked to one provider full stop!

It’s not switcher.ie btw, not being pedantic it’s just that website is for utility company price comparisons 😅

Again the best way I can compare this is like SuperValu you can go in and buy stuff right? But you can’t phone up Musgraves and order the products from them for cheaper.

I mean yea it’s the same stuff right, but that’s just the law of the land so to speak. I agree they shouldn’t be either it’s a piss take.

And you dont have to pay. Three can submit an unlocking request for you but as you say, in this case it’s not possible to do such things. The price seems rather high though I definitely think you would be better off maybe trying some phone doctors in your area. They might be able to sort it out for u cheaper.

Perhaps this is because unlock code is generated based on your handset EMEI . Manufacturer has either list off unlock/EMEI code pairs or have software that can generate the code on request.

Third party can have means (not necessary leagal) to ganerate same, hence they require you to provide EMEI of your handset. skip legality part, you still at risk of code being incorrect and if repeatedly entered could "brick" your handset for good.

Nevertheless, i had succesfully used third party unlocking (€1) service for 4G router back ~10year - ISP does not unlock these even if you account owner.

I also had managed to unlock USB MiFi device using third party software - yep, taking risk, but it went OK that time. Would not risk on €500+ worth device

iPhone’s are not unlocked with codes. They are unlocked via iOS through apple servers. They are the only ones capable of switching off the network lock.

You perhaps right how this work with iOS, but then this does not explain how third party can do it (if they can) unless its "jailbreak" of some sort, but i am not iOS fan, little that i know.

I would hazard to guess its still same/similar process, just there is no feature on the handset for user to enter code, and it HAS to come directly from apple server(s)

Software unlocks via jailbreaks are not permanent and can be removed if you update the software. They’re also completely different to a factory unlock or an unlocking code.

The codes themselves are permanent factory unlocks. It’s not the same as jailbreaking or rooting.

OK, despite it does not make sense in my head how third party can do it (consider you not account owner, they are not apple reps/dealers/delegates, etc) , but if you say so....

• Advertisement

Look man if you want to visit a local phone repair shop and see if they’ll explain it to you feel free? You’ll be hard pressed to find one who will and I’m not going to do it.

If it’s this shocking to you that shops who’s sole business is to repair and unlock phones have the ability to unlock phones through Apple I can’t help you any further. This isn’t exactly news and has been around as long as the phone has been.

There are absolutely plenty of websites and retail stores offering this service who don’t do it correctly and will simply apply a software unlock which will be gone if you reset/update the phone, but those stores and websites usually have shite reviews so you can avoid them.

All you need to know is legitimate businesses will unlock your phone through apple and the how is irrelevant. Do you often find yourself worrying how repair shops get their hands on genuine apple parts despite apple only very recently offering them for sale and only to the US at present?

Where there’s a will there’s a way. That’s all I’ll say.

wow, some excitement there on your side !

you state only apple can do it, same time you state 1000s third parties can do it too, officially/legally. Apple all about strict access to what you can/cannot do unless you prove you are the owner and suddenly no more.

you lost me, but calm down, i just trying to learn what i am not aware of . If you not willing to share that's fine, ill figure if i need it...

Man you’re just confusing yourself here. What I said was all factory unlocks are done through apples servers. They don’t generate codes like other phones.

Yes, you can software unlock the phone temporarily but it’s unreliable and not a proper factory unlock. Those can still only be done through apple.

Repair shops and unlocking businesses have methods of getting it done through apple. But were they all to explain exactly how to do it then they wouldn’t have a business worth a shite anymore would they? Same as when I explained why you can buy Musgraves products in SuperValu but not directly from musgraves because then SuperValu becomes irrelevant.

Sure, thanks for sharing

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Alipiama

It's frustrating when your iPhone 11 is locked to a specific network. If unlocking isn't an option due to company policies, you can still explore other SIM options. Many carriers offer SIM-only plans that might suit your needs better than the current €30/month deal. It's worth shopping around to find a plan that fits your usage.

As for unlocking, it's strange that some phone shops couldn't help. You might want to try contacting Apple support directly or checking out this resource at https://multitechverse.com/ for more insights on unlocking options. Hopefully, you can make the most of your perfectly good phone soon!

Post edited by Alipiama on

Advertisement