Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model Y

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭podge1979

Lads if yer happy justifying lack of sensors as not an issue grand but I have a use case.

I don't drive a Tesla but I have surround view in my ioniq 5. I turned off USS as was beeping traffic. Normally turn it on again when driving. One morning a truck was delivering oil so rushed out to move the car. In a hurry didn't turn on USS but said I'd manage with a dirty camera. Didn't see a rock sticking out of one of the flower beds and was a tight squeeze.

Ended up with a very slow fender bender with now a small scrap low down on my front wing (plastic cracked too). Will cost the bones of 700 euro to fix replace the panel.

Lesson learned leave on my USS. I much prefer this to the lesson learned get out and clean all my cameras prior to having to quickly move the car.

Post edited by podge1979 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭allinthehead

I was reversing once and was relying on the sensors, I didn't visually check behind properly and missed the fact there was a piece of a wall sticking further out at an angle towards me than the rest of the wall. Sensors didn't pick it up and I hit it with a thump. Luckily I had a tow hitch which took the impact.

Funny that I managed to drive for 15 years without sensors and never hit anything.

☀️

What were you driving, big EV with weird angles as I've driven for years too without any issues, but the angles in modern ev have a number of blind spots I couldn't rely on mirrors alone. The model Y has a very high rear and limited view wouldn't fancy parking just with mirrors.

Your happy enough but its just a bit of context there are use cases where USS are useful.

If not build cleaning cameras in to tight parking routine.

I think this is what the rear view in a model Y is like, rear view mirror in my ioniq 5 is practically useless I only use it to keep an eye on the kids

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I had my trade value on the account after I got that. But I’m expecting a serious adjustment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭allinthehead

Agreed, they're definitely useful but not infallible.

☀️

• Advertisement

Yep camera main sensor that failing (dirty camera) USS that, failing mirrors (difficult to use in modern EV).

If we lived in sunny California (maybe not so sunny to hear days) wouldn't be an issue camera should cover most use cases. But in a 50k car you shouldn't have to worry about that. Was sickened when it happened to me USS hasn't been turned on since, I'll take a few beeps in traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

A trade in value would be nice I’m still waiting on one, looking to move from a 09/22 MSM M3, prepared to take some class of a hit but hoping the cost to change is still in the realm of what I deem reasonable, if not I’ll just keep the 3 very happy with it overall, but the hatchback would be useful as would the extra space for holidays etc

• Registered Users Posts: 65,362 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Have to echo what @podge1979 is saying. View out of the rear view window in a Tesla Model Y is a lot better than in some modern cars. In my Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh, it was almost non-existent. My wife was very worried about that in our test drive, but within days of owning the car, I never heard her about it again. You get used to it quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Whats the chances of getting a test drive in a LR MY in Sandyford tomorrow ? Tried booking a slot tonight but nothing showing available until Thursday. Is it worth ringing them in the morning or is it likely they are just booked up.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Yes ring them. Or just turn up. See what they say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭JOL1

Likely to be about 28.5K (if RWD). If you are intent on switching you need to seriously consider sale outside Tesla. That may not be what you want to hear but best to manage expectations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

A nigh on 50% reduction in 5 months I know the price change has been a disaster for newer owners but a gift for prospective ones, absolute madness, hopefully they’ll provide more reasonable valuations closer to collection time, will try the zucars etc but not really in the mood for ar$eing around was hoping for an easy transaction but also quite happy to hold the 3 too if it gets too painful

You have to get realistic here. Tesla will not offer more "realistic" valuations closer to collection time. They don't want your car, even if it is a Tesla. They are being overwhelmed with offers of second hand Model 3 cars from owners upgrading to Model Y

The like of zucars etc. don't want your car either, unless it is dirt cheap / they have a buyer lined up. They got badly burnt on Friday 13th and the lost a fortune off the value of their stock.

You have 3 options:

1. sell your car privately
    2. accept the low ball offers you get from Tesla / other traders
    3. not buy your new Model Y and keep your old car

FWIW I'm in the same boat myself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

Just gave my M3P a wash, and looks like new again... I'll possibly skip the Model Y and wait for the cybertruck 💥😀

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

Wonder will we see a second hand M3 sold in the low 20's before March?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

As @unkel says, its a bad time to sell your car because its a good time to buy a new Tesla. I had my 2021 ID.3 advertised for over 6 weeks. In retrospect, I was looking for an unrealistic price (even though it was consistently the cheapest advertised on DoneDeal). I ended up selling it on Autobuy after seeing someone else on this thread sell there. Got a decent price (2.5k below what I paid in 2021) and it was done in 30 minutes. Luckily I have my trusty 21 year old Audi A2 to keep me mobile...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭Casati

Tesla is very definitely interested in your used Tesla if they can retail it and buy it off you at a good price - it’s reported that selling used cars is already a multi billion dollar and profitable business for them in the U.S. and they will grow this model globally. They are controlling the market too by stopping leased Tesla’s being bought by the leader’s so they can resell them directly.

We are dealing with a funny market right now where the price cut has seemed to stop used sales in Tesla. If the prices increase/ grant disappears you will likely see trade-in values increase to a more normal and predictable level with maybe 15% / 20% depreciation pa depending on model.

If I had a newish Tesla I’d be hanging onto it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

Unless it's an early writeoff or similar probably not. Low 30's most very likely will happen soon. Or 29999 type of price for high mileage early builds. I can't see half price Model 3 happening for the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭innrain

I don't think it is going to happen unless someone is desperate to sell. I got the lowest offer of 24k for my 2019 Kona but the trader is more keen to buying than I'm to selling. There is still huge interest for EVs, queues for new ones and a dip in price gets more people interested which increases demand. On the other hand the announced reduction of grants may make buyers of new nervous. Things will settle but not that low. March is only 5 weeks away.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Thing is, with the removal of the USS reliance shifts to cameras, I dropped the young one to college this AM, gave the reversing camera a good wipe as a test, when I got home 20minutes later the reversing camera was totally blocked with dirt, absolute zero visibility. All motorway travel.

Herein lies the problem, we are not in S California

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,934 ✭✭✭✭josip

I'm trying to decide what to do in the unlikely event that both our RWD and LR reservations are delivered during Q1/Q2. Although the LR might be more fun, it's mid-range acceleration that I'm more interested in. There are only a couple of RWD vs LR 'Drag Races' online and its hard to draw any conclusions from them. I can't find any figures online, all Bjorn's stats start from 0. But the RWD mid-range acceleration seemed adequate during our test drive. I'll take a test drive in a LR if it ever looked like that reservation will be delivered in time.

The other consideration is range. Obviously depends on the individual, but in our case the probable 60km extra range is a bigger than 20% difference in reality. We regularly do a 320-350km daily round trip and the LR I expect, would handle that in all conditions whereas the RWD would sometimes require an en route charge to get home. Nice to be able to do door to door without interrupting the trip. For this reason more than the acceleration/AWD I had been leaning towards the LR.

However, this morning I stumbled across this graph, https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/7365597/ and it looks like after 500 EFCs (about 4 years for us), the LR's NCA battery capacity will have dropped to 80-85%, whereas the LFP's LFP will still have 95-100%. This 15% differential would almost completely negate the LR's initial range advantage over the RWD. We would intend keeping the car for 5-10 years so this is a consideration for us.

Finally, from Bjorn's charging data, I don't see any difference between LFP and NCA when DC charging on a long trip, both types tail off equally.

@josip - the mid range pick up of the Model Y RWD is rather good. The initial acceleration is crap (if you are used to fast EVs) and it is excellent in the AWD LR. If you are only interested in mid range pick up, there is not much advantage of paying €7k more for an AWD

However, this morning I stumbled across this graph, https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/7365597/ and it looks like after 500 EFCs (about 4 years for us), the LR's NCA battery capacity will have dropped to 80-85%, whereas the LFP's LFP will still have 95-100%. This 15% differential would almost completely negate the LR's initial range advantage over the RWD. We would intend keeping the car for 5-10 years so this is a consideration for us.

This is a very important point, but we do not know a 4 years degradation figure for the LFP yet as they haven't been that long on the road. My Model 3 LFP is at 2.6% degradation after 10months/14.7k kms. Also, Tesla have a huge 7kW buffer in the LR versus 2.65kW in the LFP, so they obviously want to protect the LR more, they also offer a higher km limit on LR battery versus LFP.

Setting range aside, the car will still be faster, charge faster and have much better audio

Post edited by slave1 on

Are we still worrying about battery degradation in new EVs bought in 2023? Forget about it folks, it's not an issue. Except in the Nissan Leaf.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Premium audio is in both RWD and LR from what I can see? Does the LR have something else audio related to make it superior?

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Feidhlim

faster charger and slightly better warranty

edit:which, on review, has nothing to do with your question!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,934 ✭✭✭✭josip

Definitely agree LR will be faster 🙂 Is there such a thing as 'too fast' by the way? Some of my passengers already complain when I get an 8s car up to speed on the motorway. I fear a 5s car won't be appreciated or will have have to be permanently driven in chill mode.

Audio I think is the same on both MY versions, was different for the M3.

Good point about the larger buffer in the LR, I'd overlooked that. I'm not concerned about the battery degradation of either; we'll definitely be buying one or the other. Just wondering if the LR's 60km range advantage over the RWD will remain over the following years.

For the charging, the only data I can find is Bjorn's and not sure if it's directly comparable, but there only seems to be at most a 5% difference in charging speed between LR and RWD?

I'll leave it in the hands of the shipping gods which one we end up with.

apologies, got my 3 and Y threads mixed up 😣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭eagerv

Realistically here in Ireland I find with my Model 3 RWD that on longer trips, say 400 km, that you invariably stop where convenient (Non ECars if possible). And only put in a relatively small amount, enough to get home comfortably. So charging speed is not that important to me within reason. Looking at that graph both battery chemistries should charge at similar enough speeds if you are not going very low on % when charging.

Advertisement