Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paschal Donohoe expenses controversy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,800 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

’His reputation is in tatters’. Give me a break. Some misfiled paperwork essentially. More has been lost in change down the back of the couches in the Dail bar.

Brought to you by the party where Senators fraudulently claimed thousands in Covid allowances.

Millions in a donation from a recluse in a caravan? If you believe that cock and bull story, you’ll believe anything.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,544 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Don't really think this is the big scandal the shinners are making it out to be compared to what came out about English last week who knew full well what he was doing was wrong.

Donohoe always struck me as an honest enough skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Exactly. It’s an absolute mountain out of a molehill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Okay maybe a sweeping statement made in haste on my part. However a large percentage of them are. I actually don't think PD is one of them. He is highly intelligent and did well as minister for finance.

However, there is little to no accountability in vast areas of the public sector and this is seen in our political class more and more. It is has become a massive problem in all areas. I work in education and see it on a daily basis. It's maddening what it going on. Years of brushing things under the carpet are coming to the fore and I honestly can't see the political will address them.

I do think that SF are trying to turn this into something it's not in a points gaining exercise. They should be concentrating on the many bigger issues, we are facing right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Liked I asked earlier when does it become a mountain? We have had leaked confidential documents, Zappone, Murphy expenses, English and his planning permission? So when does it or are you happy with the bar being so so low. If SF get into the government and do those things will you be on to say its a mountain out of a molehill?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭walshb

If SF were in power and one their TDs was in exact same position as PD, it would be a mountain out of a molehill. And I have no doubt FG would be piling on the pressure as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,651 ✭✭✭standardg60

I dare say that if every TD in the dail was subject to the same investigation in relation to who put up their election posters and what the 'value' of that was in terms of donations they'd all have questions to answer.

It's well known, at least in my constituency, that prospective SF voters are given lifts to the polling station. Does this apply as a 'donation'?

It really is a pile of nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,903 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Actually it will take something like that to free our politics from these destructive sideshows.

A properly resourced SIPO with enhanced powers is the only answer.

All returns and declarations will have to be audited and worked through by a set deadline.

After that any discrepancies will attract graduated penalties.

Leave Dail Eireann to deal with only seriously egregious corruption.

Oh and the much neglected task of running the country in the best interests of it's citizens.

Then audit them all and see who is and who isn't following the rules. Sure why would they follow the rules when nothing happens to them except the wave their arms in the air saying mea culpa.

Of course they would that's what the opposition do look to hold a government to account and bring them down. I don't see why this is such a thing for some people posting on here to understand. People are sick of the sleeveen carry on of FFG that SF are at 34% in the polls. This is a party that would normally scrape 15 to 16%. FFG have only themselves to blame.

• Advertisement

Looking at the pictures of the Donohue giving his statement today in the Dail, was there any FFer there?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭ooter

barry cowen on VM at the moment saying he wasn't there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,903 ✭✭✭✭elperello

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Just caught the Prime Time bit on this. Coveney out shilling for Ffg, did not come across well. Still pushing the line it was just a few posters and not a big deal. Asked where they get their figures from, "Stone told us."

Coveney especially didn't seem convincing, even looked a bit embarrassed when saying he'd a long chat with PD and believed him.

Hit back then at Louise O Reilly about donations from Dowdall. I'm guessing not something SF are too happy having thrown back but it does seem they declared the donations in full.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Damage well and truly done. The question is whether the Minister for Ethics and Reform will get off his arse and actually pass the 2015 Public Office Reform bill. Unlikely.

Will SIPO ever be given the powers they need? Not by FFG.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,800 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Won’t be an issue for SF.

Write nothing down, record nothing and the culture of omerta within the organisation, something like this would never come out.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Crony Coveney defending the indefensible again.

Aren't they supposed to value the assistance themselves at market rates (unlike the mates rates that Shortall pointed out)? Their numbers are all bollox to evade the limits.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

There’s a big difference between work done by volunteers and paid work arranged by your local friendly millionaire businessman.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Is that a reference to Fine Gael's regular fundraisers at exclusive UK golf resorts or white-table-cloth dinners in NY that attract the attention of the US Department of Justice?

Nefarious indeed. Telenor didn't feel like they got value for money from FG after their bung.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭TipsyMcStagge

The FG line of defence appears to be that because dodgy Donohoe is a cheap whore for big business his corruption is OK? If he'd billed Stone more for the favours then it would be a problem seemingly?

Post edited by TipsyMcStagge on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

Watch the sinn fein cheerleaders go into hiding now as this blows up in their face.

Not paying bills and showing a laughable €3700 for the entire elections press conferences, photography, facilities and media advice.

Methinks Ms McDonald & Mr O'Broin will be wiping an awful lot of egg off their faces.

But now watch the typical sf playbook. There will be no-one available for interviews, there will be very few press releases and they will simply go underground as they do whenever there is a question mark over their behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭howiya

Good to see more dirt coming out. Elections need to be whiter than white regardless of who the party is.

Unfortunately the only penalty appears to be amend your declaration and move on.

Not every critic of Pascal or FG is a sinn fein cheerleader.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

If this is the height of political corruption in Ireland then we are in a decent place.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,755 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The fuss over a lad putting up a few posters must be small beer compared to a political party scamming a state institution and not paying their bills. Not like they can't afford it.

He broke the rules simple as but as we all know FG are above obeying rules they are for everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭Shelga

What is the inference? Has PD ever appointed Stone to a paid position, after the posters stuff? It doesn’t seem credible that he would do so after a minuscule posters “bribe”? The whole thing seems utterly daft to me.

Paschal is my local TD, and I think he seems decent enough on a personal level. There is still no way I can vote for him, as a person under 40 who cares about housing. No way. So it’s not like I’m out defending Fine Gael.

Nadhim Zahawi paid a hefty fine to HMRC because he avoided paying millions of pounds of tax linked to offshore accounts, while he was Chancellor of the Exchequer. A little perspective wouldn’t go amiss here. Anyone I know who I’ve spoken to about it doesn’t get the outrage at all. Michael Stone also seems like a decent, genuine guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,755 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Ah here lad, the few posters are the equivalent of breaking the speed limit, while the scamming of public-funded institutions by Sinn Fein is like driving drunkedly home every night for months.

If you want to equate the two, that's on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,351 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Stones companies got 8 million in government contracts. I don't know the timelines and he may well have won those contracts fairly but I think it's worth mentioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

And then the same should apply to sinn fein.

Notice how they are no loner engaging with the press after today's revelations.

And wait until the social media story come out about their social media expenditure - it doesn't appear on the records either. One rule for everyone else and a totally different non rule for sinn fein

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

As your local TD, would you get access to Paschal for thirteen meetings, as Stone did?

Advertisement