Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland running out of accommodation for Ukrainian refugees due to surge in non-Ukrainian refugees?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭bertieinexile

Finglas tonight. Pretty spicy.

https://www.facebook.com/100062599133235/videos/1612803425808648/

No one would have the neck to call that organised. It's down to one fella, Graham Carey, who's a kind of sole trader. With a lot of energy.

He called for a (mostly) men only protest and as you can see the temperature is up a level.

I don't know how you could be in government or in the NGO class and not be getting worried. There are hints here of power and control slipping away. Hmmm.

It'll be interesting to see how the larger protest movement deals with this input. Once again, as hairy as it seems, the protestors still recognise, and constantly repeat, the importance of keeping things under control. They know that any kind of skirmish undermines them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,462 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The government and the opposition should shoulder a lot of the responsibility for these ongoing protests.

The government was the one who made Ukrainian refugees a separate group and gave them special status.

Even this week they've said Ukrainian women and children will be accommodated but single men from elsewhere won't.

It's a far right policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,434 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Ah that old chestnut.

They also have phones. Imagine that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

• Registered Users Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Should just cut down on the avocado toast pints

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

One has to wonder if the UK are using the immigration crisis as leverage in the Northern Ireland protocol negotiations.

You want an open border?

Right have thousands of our unprocessed and failed asylum seekers.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 37 palette

I tried to have an exchange of ideas there earlier, but it was a one way street.

It's important to get to the root of this indefensible stuff because, lo and behold, it demonstrates clearly it's indefensible.

There is no reasoning for this situation. Absolutely none. Hot air has more substance.

Let more people into the country "just because". I think it's a great idea to have more people arrive into a housing crisis "just because". I dont need to think further than what I'm told "just because". I don't need to explain anything "just because". You're a bad person to challenge "just because" because "just because".

This country has had enough of this tripe. If some of the "just because" people refuse to accept that this is the hottest topic on everyone's minds up and down the country, well, that's par for their course. They're wrong. It is evidently not to our advantage, it is demonstrably to our disadvantage.

Something needs to be drastically changed and it needs to start without single delay. There is literally no excuse to continue on this path a moment longer.

And yet thousands trying to move here despite the horror of living here apparently.

Pity about him. Doesnt like the cold.

He shouldn't even be here as he has come in from a safe country.

Typical Ohadra soft interview. He's a simpering idiot.

Let's hope there's a good few more don't like the cold and feck off out of here.

• Advertisement

Yeah but it's actually a great thing because "just because".

Everyone overflowing in the wealthy boon of an overpopulated island. Sheer bliss, says nobody.

If it were to stop tomorrow how long for the housing crisis to catch up and simply draw even? Are we set back another decade, as it stands? Unacceptable.

Farcical, is what it all is. I know there's some rubbing their paws dreaming of that property money, but they'll find out soon enough that money has to flow from somewhere and it isn't infinite. We're all in the same boat at the end of the day, and this concussion inducing stupidity will lay waste to all and sundry. Including the precious rents.

And then what'll be left? A country bereft of its youth and a whole load of fools and scammers left looking out the windows at each other trying not to join the sick or the homeless?

Time to wise up and think ahead. For a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Typical sh1tpost, full of errors and made up quotes.

There were tiny numbers of Poles here in 2003, 30 years ago. After Poland joined the EU in May 2004, Poles didn’t come as dependents, looking for food, housing and asylum. They came to work and work hard. Many, 30,000 in one year then left post boom.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

So it's fine for 'these guys' to keep their medieval belief system that women are inferior, is it? And to rape and abuse them because they dress differently to muslim women?

My Swedish colleague who lives here said most Swedes agree taking in so many Muslims ruined Swedish society for these very reasons. These immigrants can not adapt to a Liberal western culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

'Ah sure they are only here for a few weeks".

The left and the paid/sponsored NGO's have this country ruined.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,833 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Has a single Irish person been unable to buy or rent a home because of a Ukrainian national or an asylum seeker? The two subjects are 'not' linked - we would be having a major domestic housing crisis in 2023 no matter what. Most Ukrainians and asylum seekers couldn't even afford to buy a house at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

Ukies are here to stay. Many are marrying and having children here. The housing crisis will be a whole lot worse. If you can't see that then there's no point explaining.

But clearly more people will put pressure on the housing supply.

It may lead to a massive housing building boom but can't see that happen as so many people object to large apartment blocks near them including most opposition TDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

I know time flies but 2003 was only 20 years ago. Its only been 19 years since those first waves of EU migrants that we were initially told would be tiny.

A number of posts above stated that 2004 was 30 years ago!

I'm sorry, but if you can't link the arrival of tons of people, ukrainian war or before, with lack of housing, and therefore the requisite rise in cost of housing, then there's nothing to be said that can help you.

As someone pointed out earlier, the sheer amount of pps numbers handed out to non Irish over the last decade is phenomenal.

What else, I wonder, has seen a concomitant lock step increase too?

This doesn't even approach economics or statistics, this is fundamental common sense first and foremost. Anyone tripping up at that initial stage is a lost cause.

Yes, more people need more housing. Less people need less housing.

If the Ukrainian war, on its own, doesn't prove that, nothing ever will to some. But Ukrainians, asylum seekers, chancers, economic migrants, martians, it doesn't matter, they are all extra people, and they all need housing, in a housing crisis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭irishproduce

I was thinking to ask someone here who is witty and good with language to take one of the biased RTE reports that water down what happened at the reception centre last night and rewrite it but telling the truth. Satirical like. I thought nah, leave it off.

But you're rewriting that tweet there convinced me to put it up. So, anyone willing to take the flaky RTE article and rewrite it with proper language describing what's going on? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

. .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭irishproduce

I was thinking to ask someone here who is witty and good with language to take one of the biased RTE reports that water down what happened at the reception centre last night and rewrite it but telling the truth. Satirical like. I thought nah, leave it off.

But you're rewriting that tweet there convinced me to put it up. So, anyone willing to take the flaky RTE article and rewrite it with proper language describing what's going on? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Yes,

Just the other night on RTE Baz was doing up 5 houses for Ukrainians. DIY SOS. Thats 5 out of the supply chain for everyone else.

That being said I think most folks here are not complaining about the war affected ukrainians/russians - its the sudden influx of those claiming to be Ukrainian and destroying docs on arrival.

A buddy system would be interesting.

For every person that wants into the country, for whatever reason, an Irish person can volunteer to be their legally binding keepsake and support them until they find employment and housing of their own, or until the cows come home.

How many would there be with their hands up?

11?

But when it's at everyone else's expense? The more the merrier, 70 kabillion. With those 70 kabillion we'll be able to build 90 gabollion homes, have eleventy pillion health staff and teachers sprouting like trees, trust me. ^10 years later^ oops!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

What an idiotic comment

Anyway…that’s for a different thread

What a disaster we are facing. Sorry, but all the goodwill in the world doesn't change the fact that you can't just open the borders up.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,921 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

How is it an idiotic comment? Look at the post it was responding to -

They’re probably not the half of Irish people who think a home somewhere between €200k and €300k is affordable -

https://www.thejournal.ie/affordable-housing-poll-5477459-Jun2021/

It isn’t because of Government trying to accommodate refugees that young people are thinking of leaving Ireland, it’s because they see themselves having a better quality of life abroad, like every other migrant -

The survey also found that 80% are fearful for their future, 50% reported worse mental health in the context of the rising cost of living, 40% were not as happy as they were six months ago, 50% are struggling to make ends meet, and around a quarter said their experience with housing in the last six months is worse.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40959242.html

They aren’t being replaced. They do come back -

Census 2016 revealed that there were 888,899 residents who had previously lived outside of Ireland for one year or more. Of these, 557,611 were Irish nationals (62.7%) and 327,330 were non-Irish nationals (36.8%). Figure 6.3 shows the year of arrival into Ireland for both Irish and non-Irish nationals for the years 1997 to 2016. When analysing these results, it must be borne in mind that a high percentage of residents who were born abroad failed to answer the question on previous residence abroad – repeating patterns observed in 2006 and 2011.

Returning Irish nationals have always been in evidence, averaging around 16,000 persons per year in the late 1990’s and then increasing to reach a high of 21,299 in 2000. Numbers reached a low point in 2009 with just 10,198 arrivals but have increased in more recent years with 18,571 persons in 2014. 

The graph shows that the flow of non-Irish nationals into Ireland remained fairly steady over the period 1997 to 2003 averaging 6,000 persons annually. The numbers increased sharply from 2004 onwards and reached a high of 23,089 in 2006. They fell sharply up to 2009 (8,192) but have since risen again to reach a high of 31,694 in 2015.

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-cp7md/p7md/p7ri/

And they purchase affordable homes, and they enjoy nights out, and they enjoy plenty of the finer things in life, the things that refugees will dream of. No fear of young people in this country who have a bit of initiative and an interest in making something of themselves and making a better life for themselves and their families.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,921 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Imagine that, young people hanging out, moving from place to place, seeing the sights, living the dream 😂

I’m not being conned at all, I would be if I were to take that post seriously, like it’s unexpected that young people would be living their best life on social media 🙄

• Advertisement

seeing the sights... of Dublin.

Living the dream... in CityWest.

Advertisement