Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭older by the day

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Pinsnbushings

50k a year for a 100 acre farm on top of say a wage of 50 to 60k is fairly nice setup if you can get it in fairness. Especially if you don't hate your job or something. Will have to look at it here if and when the old man wants to take it easier. It would be hard to see them go, but a lump sum sweetener for the cows would help I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭alps

Hearing rumblings of a dairy exit scheme with 2022 being the reference year.. Watch the FJ and Agriland...they'll surely have some accuracy around it..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭straight

You could say that new Zealand had an unfair advantage all along due to their inferior environmental and welfare standards. I guess teagasc and ifj will be reexamining their advice

Plenty old lads hanging on. My own father was getting out this year but he's doing "one more year". Sterilisation wouldn't suit though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

lads Will pay these high leases for a year or 2 and then just break the lease when milk price drops

that’s what im hearing

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Pinsnbushings

Very short sighted way of thinking if true, it's hard build a good reputation but very easy get a bad one especially in farming where you are fairly tied to a location.

They can be pursued for breach of contract. Bills have to be paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,515 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Anyone else find this all a bit depresssing?

Here we have one of the greatest countries on earth for growing pasture. We have farmers ahead of the research in balancing soils. Balancing so that it requires less npk to be bought and applied. Balancing so that the life flourishes in soil and carbon sequestration is optimized which means more free draining soil whilst being more drought resistant. Balancing so that the nutrient quality of the beef and milk is optimized. Balancing so that less dosage products are required. Balancing so that more animals can be kept for less inputs.

Now we have the former taoiseach Michael Martin saying the Government needs to buy land out of agriculture for rewilding and to meet emission targets. He's saying so from the pressure put on by the likes of the biodiversity assembly. Which say there's a crisis. Drive from Killucan, Westmeath, to the Curragh, Kildare and say there's a crisis.

The emission angle on agriculture is to give the idea further credence and authority. But the emissions from bogland and wet land are neither mentioned nor measured (if they are it's not put out in the press nor government papers). I looked myself rudimentally at both methane emissions from what google threw up for current wet/bogland area in ireland and cattle numbers. From the wetland it came back as 576 million kgs of methane and the cattle population as 746 million kgs of methane a year. Now this is wetland we already have before more is rewetted. There's also methane emissions from everywhere in nature. River mud in low tides, under the bark of trees, gets expelled itself from plants in wet conditions.

This is all well and good. It's been that way since earth first had life. But is it right we've now been demonised and have government officials that now see agriculture as an accessory not a necessity for the country. And looks to be following the suit corporate world in looking to greenwash their business by buying their way through to righteousness with thoughts of buying land for "rewilding" purposes.

Where'd all the sane people go?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

The biggest bollix around here that left hundreds of thousands owed the merchants and land owners is flying the finest, as far as I can see the more you don’t care the further you get on

same family building a 4 ac yard and rotary parlour now, had 300 odd cows wintered on a 30 ac field till it’s done, digger and bulldozer needed to repair the field

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,218 ✭✭✭Grueller

It will catch up. Most likely as a charge added to the deeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

Seeing all these PIAs going through the courts I wouldn't be so sure. The legal system is so expensive in this country not many go this route to recover money owed

Would they be the same one's that were hiding tractors and machinery from the leasing companies?

I think prominent in what they called their own version of Land league.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭older by the day

Plenty of guys out there don't want to reduce numbers so. ( Who wants too) for nothing extra. Fertilizer limits, keeping calves and stocking bands. So land will be expensive for the foreseeable future.

Smart fool around here was getting his house repossessed around 2012. Smashed it up a bit and damaged the roof and bathrooms and stuff so that nobody would buy it. House was sold for 70k and now he ends up owing thousands more than he ever should.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,204 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

A **** way of doing business …and there will be implications in doing that ….

Agree ….it’s a totally **** thing to do …go in be a dick blow everyone out of it with stupid rent been a smart arse thinking u have a plan .what’s the point pissing a neighbour off ,jeopardising a land owners good faith and proably the tax free money he got by signing up to a long lease .nice to get on with your neighbour and help each other out rather than been known as the local bollix……greed is an afull thing

The tax free money is safe once the lease is signed I'm told. The contract has to be fulfilled by both parties subject to any break clauses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭cjpm

The tax free money won’t be too safe when Sinn Fein get into power.

• Advertisement

Well if I was a landowner who leased out land and some smart arse pulled a stroke along above lines I’d go to a lot of rounds to make sure the person who took the land paid out the lease in full ….then turf him out

Of course. That is the reality but human beings are always looking for short cuts and they try to find the easy way. Sure if the easy way was possible everyone would do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭DBK1

That’d be cheap land around here at the minute, there’s 7 and 10 year leases after being signed around here at €530 - €630 in the past few months and bps going back to landowner as well. Pure lunacy.

I think the problem is it was never anything to do with sane people in the first place. It’s the rural urban divide is the problem. Up to not that long ago there were always more rural votes available than urban. That has changed now so policies and decisions are made based on keeping the largest sector of the electorate happy. “Rich farmer” bashing is one of the number 1 hobbies of the urban dweller so that has now become important for the politicians also.

Probably closer to €15k than €10k but unlike most other items you’d rent out, say cars, machinery etc. the action of renting or leasing doesn’t devalue it.

It's suit over wellie business. You hear the ads now of insurance businesses being carbon neutral. They make the claim by saying they saved carbon by switching to solar, wind, renewable electricity generation.

Farmers can't make that claim. Well I suppose we could but we're told we can't unlike other businesses where they go ahead anyway for advertising.

It's become about money and where they live and how they perceive things or if they've no knowledge what they're told. Michael Martin is pure Cork City central I believe and between that and Dublin City. Completely urban minded and he only knows what he's told of rural living and countryside. I.e citizens assembly.

He helped coillte a semi state to negotiate with Gresham House an investment company to look after the suits in coillte so it could still be run commercially as the enviros were using the government state aspect of coillte to pressurise coillte into the land not be used commercially any more but to go to horse logging and whatever else nonsense was being proposed. Gresham House was to put it out of reach of the enviros and keep the suits and bonuses going.

Michael with this suggestion of government buying land for rewilding is his attempt to placate the enviro lobby to allow the Coillte deal go through.

It's all suits now or second hand charity shops whatever the other side wear. Other side are really urban landlords with a supposed green sheen who take money from the highest multinational.

We've a bit of rotten element of back scratching going on. No sides are great. The oppositions not great. And the enviros who'd sell out to BRICS are definitely not great.

It looks like if you'd a passion for farming with a bit of get and go you'd be better off heading for south America.

That has absolutely nothing to do with it's rental value. I'm glad to see landowners get better value out of their property.

I lived in a city for years and worked with plenty city folk and I never heard any rich farmer bashing. The only place I hear that from is beef farmers against dairy farmers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I work off-farm with people who are all city/urban folk and I've never heard anyone whinge about farmers. Accepted, they know I'm a farmer and are unlikely to whinge in front of me, but the bigger issue is that farming or agriculture in general is not on their agenda. They have more to be doing. Food and farming are a given for most of the developed world. They don't care where it comes from.

It's like the IFA AGM this week with Tim Cullinan using it not to emphasise the issues that really matter to farmers, but to bash vegans as the real enemy! From what I can see, dairy or meat consumption is not gone down despite the vegan propaganda. Yes, environment and climate change is being blamed on farmers in some quarters but is anyone really going to say we shouldn't be doing our bit?

It'd be more in Tim's line to focus on input costs, environmental schemes that work for farmers, the beef cartel, co-ops imposing green-washing BS on dairy farmers, the price of lamb, forestry licenses, etc. the list is endless. But no, he leaves these elephants aside and creates a pantomime vegan out of the mouse in the corner.

And how many vegan activists are out there anyway? Maybe less than 10 prominent on social media. And a few spoilt middle-class students who stage the odd childish demonstration, which mostly backfires and turns the majority of the public off them. There's the odd editorial in the newspapers and RTE throw out some random sandals-wearing hippy every now and then to say we should plant more trees. It's not exactly the stuff of dictatorships, despite the Greens and others claiming they're changing the world.

Politics is showbiz for ugly people, as someone once said. Our shower in Dublin are media darlings who have more in common with celebrities on Love Island than the rest of us. Whenever they say anything, it's for the media first and foremost.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Advertisement