Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I'd say they are conserving and accumulating ammo for the next offensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

Perhaps the current tranche of impending heavy weaponry might tip a particular balance for the Russian military.

Surely it makes the "Putin problem" an easier one (*for the Russian military) to address than that of engaging with an increasingly formidable enemy.

Obviously the supply of fighter jets is no longer several notches away.

It seems the primary difficulty is that of Putin being too stupid to realise that the West will up the ante until he's beaten.

* edited to add "for the Russian military"

Post edited by Curious_Case on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭macraignil

Just seen this graph of committed aid to Ukraine by country and Germany is the highest value of committed contributions after the US. Another graph shows total EU committed aid is after overtaking that from the USA. I'm not aware of what percentage of this committed aid has been delivered already. I think I read somewhere that some of the russian misinformation efforts in recent times have been designed to try open up rifts between the countries supporting Ukraine and it would not surprise me if some of the German bashing going on in this thread has its origins in some of this misinformation being taken as fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Solovyov has (predictably) taken the news of German tanks being sent to Ukraine extremely badly :

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭mikewest

In other words the special frog boiling operation is proceeding according to plan. Expect another long drawn out will they won't they discussion about some other piece of kit (A10's maybe or something else not on the ground already). Then it eventually gets announced apparently grudgingly, rinse and repeat until some Ukrainian commander is getting a bollicking for crossing the Russian border chasing the last remnant of the horde home.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,557 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

It's not just Germany though. The entire West have been asleep at the wheel for far too long.

General Zaluzhny himself was very clear last year, he needed heavy weapons to go on the offensive. I had said the exact same thing here even before that. Even the Russians realised this. After their defeat at Kharkiv, they got a lot more serious about mobilization, building defensive lines, procuring more equipment, and going heavier into a war economy. Unfortunately the West have been thumb twiddling for a substantial portion of this time.

I fear we have lost valuable time in ending this war. If Ukraine had gotten some of the newly promised stuff last year, they would probably be in a position to use it now. Instead they have to wait for delivery, get crews and logistics set up, training, etc. It's not the end of the world, but time and lives have been lost because of it.

I just hope the powers that be are going to fall into this same trap of dawdling. Behind the scenes, they really need to be talking about Ukrainian needs over the next year. I will go with what Zuluzhny himself asked for so you can get an idea of the scale of what he asked for in December.

Quote from Zaluzhnyi: "I know that I can beat this enemy. But I need resources. I need 300 tanks, 600-700 infantry fighting vehicles, 500 Howitzers. Then, I think it is completely realistic to get to the borders of 23 February."

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭eoinbn

Leopard 2 and Abrams share the same 120mm ammo. As does the French Leclerc.

The Challenger 2 uses different ammo, as the barrel is rifled, but I think it can use the same ammo as Challenger 1.

Leopard 1 is a smaller 105mm gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Wonder what all of these orcs walking through to fields only to get anilated by Ukrainian artillery and drones are going to feel when they see the modern IFVs and tanks coming their way day and night,

For the last few months we've seen less and less operational Russian military vehicles operational in Ukraine,most of the current fighting is been done on foot,for all of the mobilisations all the vehicles we seen from the Russians are on trains going to and from Belarus,

I think the scales are going to tip firmly in Ukraines favor over the next few months,

Now tanks and other modern armour is starting to roll into ukraine what other weapons will come next, ATACMs ,GLSDBs, Drones and aircraft?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,579 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

If there's one thing to be said in this matter, it would be to differentiate between the German government and Germans as a whole, because I can tell you that there there is a huge difference between the two!

The huge difference between the two is that half of the German population rejects supplying the Ukraine with such weapons. But it was always going to come this way. Germany has become a pathetic sh1tshow for some time now and has that American dick so far up their arse it's nearly at their tonsils.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭20Wheel

Outside of this site there seems to have been a real change of narrative recently. The online consensus now seems to be that the whole debacle was largely down to Polands PiS party fcking up, and trying to create some kind of anti-German PR for upcoming elections.

I dont know that to be true, or false, its hard to tell at this stage with all the conflicting information. But you can definitely see the internet at large has binned the kneejerk 'Germany bad' schtick. The above meme top ranking on reddit.

I think the brief tabloid-esque freakout may be about to be drowned out by calmer more reasoned voices.

Putin is a dictator. Putin should face justice at the Hague. All good Russians should work to depose Putin. Russias war in Ukraine is illegal and morally wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,398 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

That's Renault cars gone. Dacia cars gone. Citreon cars gone. That's the city of St. Petersberg levelled.

Be german next.

Someone buy shares in Lada tout suite.

That's original blame up and coming polish elections.

The Germans have been dragging their heels since day one , where they should have led they cowered behind excuses , it's the equivalent to listening to people on here saying let's not do anything putin has nukes,

When it looked like Poland and other countries were willing to stand up the Germans tried to stop any Momentum by publicly balking at some suggestions and telling the press they wanted to make sure no country broke the party line of we don't want to escalate this conflict,

They got caught with their pants down while putin was lubing himself up and preparing himself for a quick ride

Just reporting on whats going on back in reality, outside of this 1 very small corner.

Some rumors from German papers that tomorrow is the big day. That agreement with Poland happens, and leopards are sent.

If so, its going to be mighty hard for the remaining screechers to keep up the 'Germany bad' act.

Putin is a dictator. Putin should face justice at the Hague. All good Russians should work to depose Putin. Russias war in Ukraine is illegal and morally wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Here's how Bild are reporting things. Main headline is "These tanks save lives!". Bottom right hand panel reads "Decision made on Leopards : We send tanks to Ukraine".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

There is this other chart taken off front page of that Kiel Institute website (so same source as your ones) but I think perhaps excluding military aid (I have not read notes on it) so not telling whole story:

The total US "aid" given may be far less weighted to the future commitments I imagine.

Approx 1/2 of it (can see from other charts on the site) is value of weapons they have sent to Ukraine. I think they announce it, and these weapons (which will mostly be stored away) come out of the cupboard and go off reasonably quickly in the weeks after so none of that would be future "commitments".

The US is still the "arsenal of democracy" and all that, it has weaponry of all types available to send Ukraine coming out of its ears. I don't think Germany, or any of the European countries (or the collective EU) can be expected to do what they do, or match this level of support even were they minded to.

These sorts of charts also omit fact that the war is hurting and imposing costs on Europe's economy far more than the US, in multiple ways, but of course that's probably another good argument for EU countries to increase their aid to Ukraine more (certainly the military aid, to try and end the war faster on better terms for Ukraine).

You do realize this thread is in the real world,

Many of the contributors have been pretty spot on since day one ,we all know exactly what's going on off this thread,I'm sure elsewhere bots and what not are happy to spread page after page of misinformation,on here they tend not to last very long to have any real effect,

• Registered Users Posts: 13,840 ✭✭✭✭josip

How long will it take to get the Leopards to Ukraine, get the logistics chains in place and get the crews trained up?

Will it be 3 months or longer before they are used at the front line?

Mid to late spring, after the daffodils bloom but before the roses. Or just in time for the next conciliatory gesture from Russia a la Kherson.

• Advertisement

I honestly think the crews are trained and ready to go (also support and logistics) but tactical deployment won't happen for 10 to 14 weeks.

Probably unless the Ukrainans have already been receiving training on them in a friendly country, there's been a few posts on social media showing Leopards on trains in Germany already heading east, likely people getting over excited tanks regularly travel by trains going to and from exercises and maintenance facilities,

We could be in reality looking at March or April before seeing any of the new armor announced not just tanks but the various IFVs too ,I know over the last few years Ukrainian military have been working with US and Nato but wether that included qualifications on Nato armored vehicles is a different story all together

As it stands it seems Russia is preparing for a large offensive to take karkhiv again according to reports,

• Registered Users Posts: 17,891 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

I believe in Ukraine's situation the issue is not so much the tanks but rather the support vehicles/crew/equipment and the proper deployment of such. It's all very well going in tank busters with one company but you have to be able to go in again tomorrow with the same number of tanks and crew, and the next day and the next day until you win.

2⁰ more on that frog please.

We know they don't have a lack of manpower,or on the front lines or other echelons such as maintainers,like that support vehicles will likely part of any package they are given,the biggest issue will be co-ordination of the forces so far we are hearing 4 different tanks that all different to the next even though they are similar in looks and designs,

If anything they should just concentrate on the Leopards they have the biggest numbers across the eu in both operational tanks and decommissioned or mothballed , bringing Abrams, Challenger, and lecleric tanks and swedish Stridsvagn 122 tanks Will over complicate things, maintenance, support,and training on 5 tanks,4 different IVFs and other vehicles,

It makes more sense having a coherent action plan,

1 main tank ,

1 main ifv

Then other vehicles Strykers , Maraders CV90s Which ever combination gives them best offensive Capabilities and ease of operation

Send the Challengers down the throat (main gun) with the LeClercs flanking (accuracy). Let the rest do their stuff if it ever goes Kursk.

Eh, what do I know, daft Irish man.

Oh now I dont take this small thread to be a consistently very reliable reflection of reality. At times its full of petty squabbling over semantics. Facts arent accepted by some users, and flippant accusations (of bots, Rusbots, Mick Wallace, etc) are made to those who dont parrot the exact views of a few rather dictatorial users. At times as a means of trying to save their face.

(Ive added a signature which outright condems Russia and Putin unconditionally to dissuade such lame accusations, Russia is 100% in the wrong, the Kremlin is corrupt and immoral, Putin is a war criminal)

As others have said theres a weird Germanophobia theme pervading certain corners in here, sensational and akin to something you might find coming from the lowbrow likes of the daily express, the daily heil, conspiracy forums or Farage. Real pub toilet door stuff.

But it does have its positives too. More reasoned users providing actual sourced facts, and reliable updates as the situation unfolds. There are good contributors (none of the good 'spot on' ones displaying any of the 'Germany bad' bollox). And its good to see the universal condemnation of Russias aggression among my fellow Irish people. Its another small alternative source of information outside of the larger, more prominent sites.

Ps. @odyssey06 you said earlier that Ireland did not supply non-lethal aid to Ukraine, but we most certainly did. Hope you can now accept this fact graciously.

Fact of the matter doesn't matter what part of the internet people go to Germany got royally screwed by the Russians and Rather than trying to fix the mess they got themselves into , they repeatedly dragged their feet rather than actually taking lead they made excuses and decided it was Best to blame escalation for not getting involved sooner, they have done themselves serious reputationl damage in both Europe, Nato and the global stage,

There's no Germaphobia on here they have been rightly called out by the majority on this thread and the other thread,

Anything else is an attempt to disrupt the ongoing discussion,

Last week we were all racist to russian soldiers,this week it's racism towards Germany... Calling out political decisions or indecision is racist....?

We haven't had mention of the Russian Su57 super Stealth next generation fighter ( neither of the above) being deployed to Ukraine,I believe there was a single claim but I don't think it's actually been flown anywhere near ukraine or Belarus even .....

• Advertisement

Well theres some debate about the so called foot dragging.

We're yet to learn whether it was a Polish political issue or what exactly was going on this whole time. Apparently the tanks only needed a formal request from Poland to ensure delivery.

US was involved too, with the issue of Abrams. Its all behind closed doors for now. We may never find out what the negotiations and diplomacy involved.

Far too few facts to be pointing fingers.

I dont know what racism to russian soldiers situation youre referring to. Nothing to do with me.

How did Germany get screwed by Russia?

Dublin, Ireland.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement