Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland running out of accommodation for Ukrainian refugees due to surge in non-Ukrainian refugees?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Every home a Ukrainian or Asulym Seeker takes is a home off the market for people here on VISAs, Irish people, EU people working here etc.

I mean thats just basic, at a minimum it's reducing supplying this increasing rent/purchase prices

Isn't this what happens in Germany? Think close to 300k homeless refugees there (might be outdated)

Europe as a whole can't cope

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

Tide is turning though, the Eu is now looking to change the rules around returning economic migrants, as only 21% ever return to their countries of origin even when safe to do so. We can’t take in the world and as we can see in Ireland, it causes other problems, some of which we are only starting to see.

I have 0 problem with war refugees looking for help.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 LaoisWeather

I have 0 problem with war refugees looking for help.

As long as the numbers are capped as to what we can provide for. Geographically we are situated quite a distance from pretty much all of the conflicts in the world over the last ~75 years. We can take some war refugees, but resources would be best spent supporting neighbouring countries beside where the conflict is who take in the Lions share of refugees.

If that means shipping out NGO workers to those regions to work the front lines, then so be it. It's time they got out of their comfy offices in Dublin away from the photocopiers and actually rolled up their sleeves and did some real work to earn all the money the Irish taxpayer hands them.

There are quite a few NGO operatives on Twitter who I'd much rather see spoon feed a hungry toddler in Gaza instead of spoon-feeding racist accusations and other guilt to the Irish population.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

What are you talking about?

The houses are in a charitable trust which ran by the Church of Ireland which maintains and them and houses adults and families in 23 of them.

8 of them were empty and in a very poor state and in need of extensive renovation. This was done by the DIY SOS series. The charity receives 8 more finished houses at a cost of zero, the price to do this privately would have been astronomical as you are dealing with listed properties that are 250 years old.

So the idea the houses were firstly in the supply chain and then subsequently disappeared is absolute nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Yeah it was fantastic, I was responding to a poster who asked if a single Irish person lost out on a house due to Ukrainians - it doesn’t matter what way it’s sliced the fact is supply in one form or, another charity/rent/purchase etc, is being impacted by Ukrainian and other inward migration.

That was a low hanging fruit example.

They could have been restored in the same manner for Irish people, so I would refute it being nonsense - but at least they went to genuine refugees by the looks of it.

I was responding to a poster who asked if a single Irish person lost out on a house due to Ukrainians

Again, they didn't. Those 8 houses would not be habitable if not for the war.

it doesn’t matter what way it’s sliced the fact is supply in one form or, another charity/rent/purchase etc, is being impacted by Ukrainian and other inward migration

Yes in this case impacted spectacularly positively, the charity now has 8 more houses hopefully for another 200 years which it can use to help unfortunate people in dire straights which it has done for decades.

We need to come up with a final solution...we'll have to build massive camps to keep them concentrated in one area

Jaysus. 😕

• Registered Users Posts: 23,921 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Who makes those decisions, you? By scrolling through anyone’s social media accounts looking for anything which you think might support your narrative? How’s that not a con-job, exactly? Portraying yourself as an immigration official who has the authority to make those sorts of determinations.

There’s nobody affecting anyone else by referring to either asylum seekers, refugees, economic migrants, etc, there’s no such thing as actual refugees or genuine refugees either - anyone is either granted refugee status, or they’re not. It isn’t determined on the basis of scrolling through anyone’s social media, the people who actually have the authority to make these decisions have better information available to them than some numbskull with a megaphone and a chip their shoulder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Why are you ranting and raving about "scrolling through social media" when the poster never said anything as such? You're trying to discredit the source of their views, by telling them what their source is. There's far more sources than lads on Twitter as you well know, yet you've to pretend that that's the case, is the name of trying to score some points. The desperation is getting very palpable.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Moving from safe country to safe country looking for someone to accept their asylum application while getting free accomadation and meals in the countries? Not exactly like young back packers travelling the world at their own expense?

The poster put in a link in their post to a Twitter post of a 13 second clip of someone scrolling through someone else’s social media posts by way of supporting their claims of the person being accommodated in Citywest Hotel. I don’t have to try and discredit anything, there’s just nothing credible there in the first place! I do know there’s far more sources than twitter, I also know they’re as credible as sources on twitter. I’m not so desperate to prove utter nonsense that I’m willing to go so far as to manufacture evidence to support my claims. That’s what that poster is doing, and telling other people they’re being conned by the the Government, NGOs etc spreading misinformation 😂

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,508 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Yet another reminder

This thread is about refugee accommodation, as set out in the thread title.

If this turns into a general discussion of Ukrainian refugees the thread will be closed like the last one was

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Marcos

A question for those advocating taking in everybody who turns up, and Roddy O'Gorman said we should plan for 80,000 more in the next year. If there is nowhere to put them, where do you think they should put up their tents? Maybe they should take over Stephen's Green or the Polo grounds in the Park, directly by the Áras, or is there anywhere else that you could think of?

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Well it certainly won’t be in the apartments/houses or gardens of these advocates

And that’s because by and large, they’ll full of shíte and only trying to make themselves look better than everyone else by their calling for unlimited numbers.

Michael D can surely take in about 100 or so bunk beds in every room

• Registered Users Posts: 18,833 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Supply of houses is being impacted by everyone in the country looking for a house. If half a million Irish born people are currently looking to buy or rent a house, that is also seriously impacting on the housing / accommodation situation. This constant linking in this thread and elsewhere of housing shortages to immigration is far from helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭thomas 123

To say it doesn’t impact the housing supply at all is simply untrue though which was what I responded to initially.

Id agree completely otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Glastonbury is 900 acres and can facilitate 210,000 people

the Phoenix Park is 1500 acres so could easily hold 80,000

just treat it as one very long festival

sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

What you stated is 100% a fact that a 4 year old could comprehend.

So I do not believe that poster is being serious.

More people equals less houses.

Less houses equals increased demand which equals higher prices.

The prices of houses and rent have skyrocketed because of this.

These are undeniable facts.

That poster pretending immigration which means more people and increased demand is not contributing to the problem is not being serious.

It has been explained multiple times in the thread, I am not sure why anyone bothers to keep explaining it, myself included.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

If half a million Irish people are looking, they are looking because they couldn't find in the first place, and they couldn't find in the first place because of competition with the state and all the newly arrived immigrants in the last 10 years. State policies have failed these people, which has causes the problem, yet in your eyes those Irish people are the guilty too, guilty of not being able to find somewhere to rent/own? You clearly hold this odd internationalist view, that immigrants have the exact same rights to a home as natives, and legally it's true, but it shouldn't be. Natives should have preferences to homes, that shouldn't be considered a radical thing. It's our nation, built by our ancestors, that our families have lived in for hundreds and hundreds of years, and that should at least give us a right to be homed first.

I tried getting accommodation recently in a tourist hot spot on the West coast, and I struggled to even get a viewing. I eventually got one, but the landlord decided to give it to a local instead. While I would have loved to get it, I understand exactly why they'd give a preference to their own first. Looking after your own should be a staple, and not something considering bad or wrong.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

People in their own country trying to buy a house in said country, imagine.

How exactly does the influx of 70,000 people (a further 80,000 projected for this year) not at all impact the supply of those houses for the existing population of our country?

Where will these 150,000 people live if not in dwellings that would otherwise be occupied by the existing population? The knock on effect of this on the housing supply will drive up prices for the current supply. This is a crisis already and is being exacerbated by this influx. For you to continually argue otherwise is dishonest in the extreme.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭bertieinexile

To be confirmed, but the location for next Saturday's "Dublin Says No" protest might be amusing.

Something everyone could get behind.

The prices of houses and rent have skyrocketed because of this.

That isn't completely true. The price of housing has increased because of the core price of materials. Not my opinion, that's according to the building federations.

Also rent is pretty stable for sitting tenants (vast majority) running far below inflation, this was achieved by government policies unfortunately these policies along with an increase in house prices saw a lot of once of landlords leave the market, which put pressure the rental market and increased prices for new tenancies.

Honestly though people need to hyperventilating about the Irish Property Market, it's part of the problem.

It wasn't long ago we were bulldozing houses.

Adding Direct Provision residents into the market has a displacement effect for low to medium income families currently in rented accommodation

O'Gorman's plan essentially created an environment where homeless individuals and families in emergency accommodation or at risk of homelessness are directly competing for rental accommodation with those currently in Direct Provision and it was inevitable, given the constraints in housing supply, that one of the impacts was to increase the monthly numbers reported by Government for those individuals and families in emergency accommodation and experiencing homelessness.

The plan also means that local authorities have to use their own stock, which was meant for social housing applicants, to meet a mandatory requirement to house asylum seekers.

They're not my words. That's the response two years ago from Darragh O'Brien's Department of Housing to Roderic O'Gorman's plans to grant amnesties and own door accommodation to everyone in Direct Provision.

There's loads more here.

https://assets.gov.ie/121982/4937e649-414a-40c8-a682-d600f103da79.pdf

And those stark warnings were issued based on an expected 3,500 per annum figure for new asylum seekers.

At the time "Green Party Minister of State for Community Development Joe O’Brien accused the Department of Housing of “not being very collegiate” and warned that its language would pit vulnerable people against each other.

“Of course it’s their job to flag barriers and difficulties with [the Day report], but I think they’ve crossed the line in going further and pushing back against the proposed policy. What they’re doing is very unconstructive,” he said.

He was “surprised and disappointed” by the department’s opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

If I am buying a house what has that got to do with building materials?

I am buying a house, not building a house or doing up the house, just purchasing the property.

Can you please provide a link to that statement from the building federations.

Hopefully the following will help focus attention on the actual topic of this thread - the effect the surge in non-Ukrainian refugees has had on accommodation for Ukrainian refugees.

We can't have that discussion without knowing the breakdown in terms of numbers of Ukrainians vs non Ukrainians arriving month by month, country by country, and especially the trends over time. In particular the PPS numbers issued for same.

Sadly, and for reasons I'm sure we can only guess at, while the Department of Social Protection makes those numbers available in theory, they do so in a format that makes it rather difficult to actually work out the numbers in practice.

Fear not. Someone has done the State some service.

Here are all those Departmental figures, but broken down and with a searchable and filterable front end.

https://app.powerbi.com/view?r=eyJrIjoiMTRjNDVlZjYtMmM0Mi00YjgyLTg1ZDYtZTQ4MjBiZTRiMWUzIiwidCI6IjdmOTJhNGU1LWNiMjAtNGU0Mi1hY2EwLTlkMDhkYzM3OWVhYSJ9

Very impressive and very useful. Thank you that man or woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Someone born and raised in Ireland has more of a right to a house than someone who's come from elsewhere though.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Blind As A Bat

You may not be building it but a developer did. If it's a new build then the cost of the materials used to build it will affect the asking price.

• Advertisement

Have you taken in one yourself? Let me guess... no.

What’s this nonsense about? They’re not Tamagotchi! 🙄

There’s no such thing as Ireland being full, Government can MAKE room, as it’s always done. Where do you imagine 50,000 babies born every year fit? And I wouldn’t ask you to take a single one 😂

I know you’re not gullible enough to believe Government have any interest in being told by you or anyone else what their fundamental responsibilities are, but any responsibility it has towards Irish citizens is only equally matched by it’s fundamental responsibilities under numerous agreements in international human rights law.

Government doesn’t get to ignore that responsibility just because you wish they would.

Advertisement