Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I read this electric meter?

• 25-01-2023 9:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place. Please move if needed. I went to check my meter today and the screen was dead. I assumed that there was a button to press that would illuminate it but can't seem to find it. I'm sure it's pretty obvious and I'm going to feel stupid when someone points out to me where it is. I have attached a pic of said meter.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Deagol

Maybe someone else will know better but that looks like it's not working correctly. I think the LCD display should be on. Check the LED is flashing per the linked manual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,483 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Display should be permanently on, and if electricity is being used, the top LED in the centre should be blinking (once per Wh).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭cmssjone

Thanks for your input guys. I'll check it again when I get back from work to see if the LED is flashing. I'll probably give ESB a ring just to be sure. At least the electricity is working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 436 ✭✭Girl Geraldine

If I were you and my meter was bolloxed I'd leave well enough alone.

Why would you tell ESB? Nothing in it for you only a bill in the letterbox as a thanks for helping them. On the other hand, if there is no record of units used, they can't bill you for them.

The meter belongs to ESB networks - it is their problem to keep their equipment running.

Fúck them I say.

How long are you in the house? Would someone before you have zapped the meter with a discharge from a tesla coil or something to bugger it up?

• Advertisement

I'm still being billed. Someone took a reading c. 2 months ago. It was an estimated reading this time round so I wanted to check if the usage was about right. I've lived here for the last 10 years and had no issues. I think the meter was changed in 2020.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Jesus, The State vs The People brigade have infiltrated. 😴

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭10-10-20

👍️ Of course you would need a working meter in this case, otherwise you're at risk of being over billed and not being able to prove it otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,755 ✭✭✭meercat

I think you should get onto esbn and report a faulty meter

looks like an outside meter box so why did you get an estimated reading (did someone call and couldn’t get a reading so just estimated instead of recording a faulty meter)

it’s better to get resolved

It's a smart meter so under normal circumstances nobody would have called to read it. Presumably if it's stopped working it wouldn't have been possible to get a remote reading, hence the estimated reading?

You'd imagine though if a meter had been successfully read remotely for a couple of years or so and then suddenly stopped that that would trigger ESBN to come and repair/replace it if necessary.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the replies guys. I checked the meter again when I got home after work and still no display. I rang ESB and they told me that I had to contact my electric company to tell them that the smart meter was not functioning properly. I was to inform them that they would then have to contact ESB to request a works order. ESB would then be in contact with me to organise a replacement. (You couldn't make it up!)

Naturally, I couldn't get anyone to sort this with my electricity provider and was left on hold for 30 mins before I had to give up. I'll try again tomorrow. At least my electricity supply is working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,755 ✭✭✭meercat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Try webchat. Easier than waiting on hold on the phone. Are you sure that's a smart meter? Just looks digital to me.

I wouldn't be bothered accepting a smart meter. No benefit to it unless you have panels, or actually want a smart tariff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,470 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Have you confirmed the green button on the left does nothing?

No idea. When I rang up my provider, they told me it was a smart meter and then put me on hold for 30 mins before I gave up.

I've pressed and prodded everything I could see/find.

On my meter, the green button cycles between a number of different information screens. One of them is a test screen where every digit and symbol lights up and I did wonder if you selected that and left it long enough it might go blank and need a button to refresh it, but apparently not.

I'm telling you man, just leave it be. It is of no benefit to you to have ESB come out and fix your meter.

No working meter means you can burn kWhrs away to your hearts content and receive an estimated bill for probably far less units than you are actually using. You have an opportunity here to benefit greatly from free leccy if your bill estimates are reasonable. All legally too. And it will be ESB network's own fault for having a shítty meter that can't record what's being used.

There is no obligation on you to help ESB.

Play the game.

Advertisement