Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frost protection wire kit?

• 19-11-2022 2:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a frost protection wire kit for plastic well water pipes. I was looking online for anything that would give protection against frost, when I saw the pre made lengths of wire with an integrated 3 pin plug,the insulated wire is wrapped around the water pipe and is about half a watt/metre with a built in stat. BUT they are in the UK and they say for metal piping.

Anyone know where that would be available here or something similar for plastic pipes? I've a socket near the pipes and last night I used a fan with frost position on the control,but Id rather a very low power heating wire and not rely on a resistive fan in my shed.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭1874

Was my query so far out there or is this stuff not available in Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,596 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

My brother installed something like this maybe 10 or more years ago, trace pipe heating iirc, to protect attic pipes, connected to a frost stat.

Purchased online at the time.

Rarely used in all that time I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Normally the piping is installed sufficiently below the soil that frost and even prolonged snow isn't an issue. What depth are your pipes at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

If not mistaking, 450mm is the "frost line" for ROI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Are these above ground in shed ? Surely insulation would be the first option

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭1874

Above ground where pipe comes from pump directly up into a shed,I have a fan on a frost stat pointed at piping, as regards insulation, I plan on building a box around the piping and components and insulate it, awkwardly exisitng pipe layout and lengths limits how much I can move components away from the uninsualted interior metal surface. THere is a space under the shed which isn't as easy to access,I was thinking of shovelling sand under there but I dont want to create a nice place under the shed that might encourage rats.Shed too full to do stuff now,so was thinking a heat wire/tape would deal with potential freezing pipes,fan seems to be doing the job now,but until I can build an insulated box, I didnt think it would be as effective and likely use more power.

Advertisement