Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paschal Donohoe expenses controversy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭Shelga

Did PD personally award him those contracts? Is there evidence he lobbied in MS’s favour? I’m not defending PD, I’m asking reasonable questions. I haven’t seen any coverage of how MS directly benefited from PD’s influence or help, and I just keep thinking- posters? What a **** bribe. Why would PD risk his career for posters?

Records of which were kept in his ministerial diary, so hardly covert and held in a darkened car park?

Do you think Paschal Donohoe thinks hanging up posters seriously makes him beholden to anyone? It’s a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,755 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Let me see, of my four TDs since the last election, I haven't met Leo, but I have met Paul Donnelly on seven occasions, Jack Chambers twice, and Roderic O'Gorman on around twenty. I have also met councillors from Labour, Fianna Fail, FG and the Greens on numerous occasions as well as the local Senator Emer Currie on three occasions.

All meetings were one-to-one or in groups of less than five.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

But this line of 'it's only a few posters', 'only a grand' is all coming from FFG and Stone.

If you look at what other candidates spend on posters, and what it might really cost to hire 6 guys and vans in 2016 and 2020, a more credible figure is 10k to 20k. After that we have the raffle tickets. Again we have PD telling us that was only 1700e euro but this again is based on his word. Also who buys 1700e worth of raffle tickets?

On top of this we have PD and Stone chopping and changing their stories, remembering and forgetting things left right and centre. It stinks.

I certainly think it's not good enough, especially from the party who were supposed to clean up all this sort of behaviour, and he must go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

If you were involved in a project that has given huge assistance to the local community, you would expect the local TDs would want to be involved too.

I'm involved in a project in Kildare and have had meetings with 2 TD's and a senator at least 4 times in the past 12 months. One is an independent and one of from a gov party. The senator is from FF. The sf td did not want to be involved in the project and sent a generic reply when we sent details to her.

Everyone involved is giving their time free and no expenses are being paid and we hope to finish it within 18 months and the main aim of meeting the td's is to try and get funding (some was received) but also to point us in the direction of people who could provide extra funding / free services.

If the reason for the meeting is good enough, you will find it quite easy

• Advertisement

anyone notice how the sinn fein cheerleaders have gone to ground?

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭TipsyMcStagge

Operation protect Paschal is well under way it seems. The issue here is simple dodgy Donohoe broke the rules and knew about his rule breaking since 2017 and did nothing to correct his rule breaking. Dodgy Donohoe has repeatedly lied about his rule breaking, Dodgy Donohoe has repeatedly lied about the amounts of money involved and retrospectively laughably tried to make them fit within the rules. Dodgy Donohoe has had to issue 3 separate statements about his rule breaking and clarifying his crony style relationship with Mr Stone.

The main issue is do we think it is acceptable for a senior minister to break the rules of political donations from a crony and repeatedly lie about it? I for one say it is not.

But why would Stone use the act of putting up election posters to exert some hold over Donohoe. Why would Donohoe let him? If it was something like Stone saying- I’ll make sure this huge project goes to your constituency if you make sure the contract goes to me- ok fair enough!

It’s *election posters.* I just don’t care.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭DBK1

Paschal is not my local td, and like yourself I'd never vote for FG. I can honestly say I'd cut my hand off before I'd ever allow it to put a mark beside an FG TD on a ballot paper.

I agree with you, it all seems completely blown out of proportion and in no way does it seem credible that that if a TD was going to accept a bribe that the best they could come out with for themselves is a couple of lads to hang a few posters. It's ludicrous if you ask me. Also, like you, anyone I've spoken to about it, and that would range people across various different party supporters, can't seem to get the outrage either. It seems to be only online on forums like this and on twitter that the outrage is and maybe that tells it's own story.

Paschal, to me, comes across as one of the more competent and capable FG TD's and seems to be regarded this way in Europe as well. It really would be a case of cutting off your nose to spite your face trying to force him to resign. By the looks of the last few weeks of stories about TD's, we'd have no-one left in government if they were all to be forced to resign over trivial things like this.

Would it not make more sense to do something like investigate the exact figures involved, force any td who breached the rules to pay some sort of a fine relative to the amounts undisclosed, and punish the parties by reducing their allowance in the next election by some sort of a multiple of the current undisclosed figures and move on from this rubbish?

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

‘…a more credible figure is 10k to 20k.’

Where on earth did you get those figures?! 10k is the figure estimated by the biased whistleblower. 5k is the figure that the FF candidate in the constituency, Mary Fitzpatrick, registered with Sipo, which Sinn Fein used as its standard of comparison. But an analysis by Harry McGee in the Irish Times shows, 1) that 5k is at the upper-end of what politicians have registered for hanging posters, and 2) that Fitzgerald registered an improbably low 500 on printing of posters, indicating that she likely apportioned her expenses differently.

You should consider that your tendency to significantly exaggerate the likely cost is mirrored by your tendency to find corruption where none exists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

It was appalling what happened to Barry Cowen . The excuse he had someone in his car makes sense. I knew there was something he did not want to disclose.

Great article by Michael McDowell in the Irish Times

I suspect sinn fein will be very very quiet on answering any of his queries. I suspect sinn fein may end up being the biggest losers in this media storm

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/2023/01/25/michael-mcdowell-sinn-fein-showing-usual-hypocrisy-over-donohoe-donations/

Oh for god’s sake, now RTÉ have as their main headline, a story about Sinn Féin failing to pay €600 for a hotel room.

I don’t like SF either, and I also don’t care about this! It’s getting farcical at this stage. Talk about a slow news day. 🙄

We're talking over 2 elections here. And if we are talking about 5k being at the upper end of the scale, I'd expect this to be right up there and likely higher. Hiring six guys over multiple days and a van is going to be at that end of the scale.

Maybe PD should make another statement clarifying just how much work was done?

How many days were these guys hired for, how much were they paid per hour or shift. He has to be able to give an accurate figure right?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,211 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

This whole thing is hilarious. SF we’re being so sanctimonious, they seem a bit quieter now. Maybe both sides can put handbags away now since they’re both at it and get back to running the country?

If people are buying the line of it's just a few posters I think that's an awful pity.

It's not.

It's posters, raffle tickets, dodgy stories to cover up, undeclared rental interests, that 'ol FFG mucker Frank Flannery lobbying on behalf of foreign property investors, and I've no doubt plenty more beside.

I'll most likely reluctantly vote SF next time round. If there only a 0.1% chance of them turning things around, especially in relation to housing, that's more than this lot.

FFG have made it clear what interests they favor, and even with all the spin and lack of accountability, it's pretty clear why.

Oh God. You know well that the estimate you were criticising was for one election.

sinn fein says the non payment and no declaration of the venue hire was an "oversight"

But as this is a sinn fein "oversight" its all ok.

George Orwell's Animal Farm comes to mind "All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others"

Yes I do. The estimate PD has provided comes in (quite conveniently) at approx 1k per election.

Based on what I've said above 5-10k per election would be more realistic. Six guys, multiple days, van hire etc, higher end of the scale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭TipsyMcStagge

He was drunk and on a learners permit was he not?

I read your first line and assumed it was sinn fein you were talking about.

Fundraisers outside Ireland - not subject to sipo

Owners of over 100 properties, some used for their own purposes and some rented commercially to others. Very little paperwork as to where the money for all these properties came from

Far more posters than other parties, yet able to magically have them at substantially lower costs (mates rates - or paid for from outside Ireland?)

We'll say nothing about Northern Bank robbery or where the substantial funds the IRA had ended up.

As for cronyism - have a look at north of the border and see the amount of back slapping that goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭crossman47

This issue will have no effect on my vote at the next election. I won't vote FG because they are ideologically opposed to public housing and I certainly won't vote for SF (certainly until Mary Lou apologises for the Provos and admits they were wrong). That still leaves me in a quandry - FF are likely to join SF in a coalition, Labour are just pursuing trendy liberal issues under Bacik, the Soc Dems had an opportunity to join a coalition and funked it and my Green TD is hopeless. It'll be a case of starting at the bottom and picking the least worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Anyone breaking the rules should be run through the ringer. Would be funny if you could send CAB into the Dail building seeing what's written down then investigating what's not. I mean for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,026 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Paul Murphy was skewered on Morning Ireland this morning for making statements such as that and implying that the very fact Stone is a businessman made him murky.

That sh*t needs to stop. Being in business and supporting a political party are freedoms we are all entitled to under the Constitution of this State. Having it impugned as a way of life by commie scroungers and layabouts is not good enough.

This bit sickens me. I cannot stand the 'but but SF' line. FFG were all over it with Dowdall.

There's a reason SF, with dubious links to this that and the other, is the biggest party in the state.

FFG opened the door and welcomed them right in. And then they pull this sanctimonious BS.

We've had a couple of incredible years economically, yet housing and health are in the hellish state they are.

I'm from Limerick where older people with manageable illnesses are staying at home to die, so they don't die on an AE trolley.

That's on FFG and no one else. So don't preach to me about the only crap option I have left.

Post edited by MegamanBoo on

And while I'm at it these housing/immigration protests are just opening the door for the far right.

What's next years tune, 'but but the Proud Boys', 'but but the KKK'

• Registered Users Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Maybe you haven't read my previous posts but I have audit all the parties. I don't like any of them so I have no problem with all of them being hauled over the coals and everything being exposed.

I know that doesn't some peoples arguments on here because they like to label people a "sinner" if they criticise their mates in government. Like I said I don't like any of them, they are all self serving, greedy parasites. They care nothing for the country or the people of the country but only for themselves their party and their donors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I couldn't agree more.

That shower are actually anti people, not anti profit. Anti anyone who seems to have wealth and influence and power, which are essential to progress

Absolute chancers. The very thing (profit) that makes us get out of bloody bed and they are against it. Profit, which is what we all want to help us all. They will never be in power because they have zero interest in leading, and thank bloody god.

Advertisement