Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enoch Burke turns up to school again despite sacking - read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Really? You need to check that.. and as they are not treated as is happening here they rarly need to. Have a look at THEIR educational policies? Oh and check wwhat heppened when they acted on their pacifits principles.

That is exactly what this is. And again I aver that I would not have acted as he has. But I can see why he did . he said NO.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

he verbally abused the principal. you seem to keep ignoring this. as you are an ex-teacher i find your refusal to acknowledge what he has done as dishonest.

I know many excellently educated folk who were home schooled. And have taught some of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭crusd

School informed staff that a student was transitioning and to refer to them as them / they

Burke took offence and refused to do so.

In a public setting, in front of students, possibly in front of the student in question, Burke, ranted about the schools policy. That in itself identifies him as a complete d*ckhead. When asked to stop and take it elsewhere he verbally harassed the principle and perused them around the hall to continue to verbally abuse them. That in itself is gross misconduct.

Then Burke played the "free speech" card and simpletons lined up to fall for his nonsense.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

As has been pointed out , the issue at hand is not what the Burkes believe - They can hold whatever views they wish.

The issue is the fact that the Burkes believe that everyone else should conform to their beliefs and that anyone that does not is harassed by them until they somehow submit to the Burkes world-view.

It's their behaviour that is the larger part of the problem.

Their absolute refusal to permit any kind of compromise or any kind of "live and let live" solution to prevail is at the core of the issue.

Let me put it to you this way from a personal perspective.

I am not Religious - I do not believe in the existence of any kind of "higher power" nor to I believe in the existence of an "Afterlife" , I find the whole thing utterly ridiculous and nonsensical.

However, I have no problem with anyone else believing whatever they wish to believe , I would never denigrate someone for prayer or church attendance etc. Equally were I to meet a Priest/Rabbi/Imman , I'd refer to them as "Father Tom" ,"Imman" or "Rabbi" or whatever as that is the name they have chosen for themselves or been given to them by their faith. And we could happily talk about things in general without any issues whatsoever.

That's how life works - We're all unique and we all think, want and need different things.

And respect for those differences is a core part of being a human being and an active participant in a functional society.

These are the skills that appear to be utterly absent from the Burke family and that gap in their skill-set is at the core of ALL of their past and current problems.

• Advertisement

He or his family are clearly not evil monsters as some are painting them here. I don't know them personally but as a parent, as far as I can tell, children are perfectly safe in his care. He's a teacher - not a creep or bastard or paedophile or criminal.

So I think you and others need to realign your liberal antennae - live and let live. There should have been a way to facilitate him in the school and to manage his difficulty with the school policy.

Actually I think the anti-LGBTQ+ campaigns this family have engaged in over the last 15 years are pretty evil. As is calling homosexuality "an abomination" and equating it with paedophilia.

This family are preaching HATE. And while you seem to be okay with that, I wouldn't let any of this family - or anyone who shares their opinions - near my children. I certainly wouldn't let one of them teach my child.

As for "live and let live" - that's all well and good when it's not hurting anyone else. But Burke's views hurt the LGBTQ community. You think the trans student hasn't suffered over all of this? The students at WHS tried to give him a letter, including a statement from the "many" LGBTQ students of the school, that his actions were "a daily reminder of the prejudices they feel".

That is when the time comes to say "we will not tolerate your bigotry".

His "difficulty" as you like to call it, is his problem. Not anyone else's, and no LGBTQ person should be forced to hide their true self and live in a closet to suit bigots like the Burkes.

roflol.. And yes they are and yes that too is their right and to everyon;e s benefit...

It ia sbout freedom so telling someone to log off is an act againt freedom.

But questions such as I was responding to are beyond the pale. Just plain nosey! Irrelevant to the issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,191 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I'm sure there are "many excellently educated folk who were home schooled".

Enoch Burke doesn't appear to be one of those "excellently educated folk" however. He certainly didn't have the education enough to observe a simple, and straightforward, behavioural nicety, but instead decided to act like an arsehole.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Not quite sure freedom means what you think it does, otherwise you wouldn't be using it in the context of the Burkes when everything about them is against freedom that's not within their zealous religious beliefs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Yeah I wonder if he is still there. And yes the father driving the spoilt ~30* year old around ffs.

I'd say they've dug themselves into a little bind here.

Hard to keep this particular crusade going indefinitely.

*Anybody know his correct age?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭Be right back

I feel really bad for the student at the centre of this..

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Indeed - Everything they have said publicly suggests that they do not want "freedom" , they want compliance with their viewpoint and nothing less is acceptable to them it seems.

Too long to respond to. Bu t how do you think the Amish reached the status they are at now? By protesting. Pacifists who acted on their beliefs AGAINST all rule and reason.

And they have the status now that they did not always have. Now you approve of them because of their status Not their beleifs and practices.

And they too are in your terms " incapabable of accepting any alternative viewpoint" Their attitudes to issues lik this? They are excluded and shunned. You know re the Amish shun?

Please stop this witch hunt of this man and let the authorities deal with it. As they will in due course. Thank you

A witch hunt? Seriously? They are drawing all of this onto themselves. Yes, he's entitled to his beliefs but it seems to be their way or no way.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭757TFFIU

RTE saying he's gone. He must have a bladder of steel. I know mine would have caved in if I stood out in the cold from 8:45 to 1:30 without access to a jacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,761 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Oh my God, i'm after running out of popcorn. Off to the shop. This is great entertainment.

Indeed yes as I posted yesterday and that is a grave matter spiritually. His choice and his freedom.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Unable Grace, not just unwilling. they have no idea how to hold a conversation. they have no idea how to compromise. they have no idea how to behave in a socially acceptable manner. they have no idea how live a life that is not full of hatred to others. they have no idea how to live and let live. that idea is anathema to them. they have no tolerance for the opinions of others. for all of those reasons they have been rightly criticised. you want to excuse them because they are religious like you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Imagine trying to prepare for your mocks and leaving cert and you have that massive tit showing up everyday and the media circus at the gates. Very disruptive and selfish behaviour. Biggest attention whore going. I’d say if the press stopped showing up he wouldn’t bother getting daddy to drive him in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,249 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Nobody is trying to deny the Burkes their constitutionals rights or protections. Let's be crystal clear about that.

The constitution doesn't protect him however from breaking the law, ignoring court injunctions and it doesn't protect him from the disciplinary processes set out by different bodies. Let's be crystal clear on that.

I also will argue that the constitution doesn't allow him to discriminate against a child who wishes to identify as a different gender or non binary. If it does then we need to have a serious look at it and a referendum.

• Advertisement

School half day, apparently. Will he be there tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,249 ✭✭✭Gusser09

• Registered Users Posts: 14,468 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Appears the school are still applying to the courts to sequester his assets, and the injunction preventing him entering the property is still in place even though he was dismissed.

https://twitter.com/VirginMediaNews/status/1618236116724813828/mediaViewer?currentTweet=1618236116724813828&currentTweetUser=VirginMediaNews

• Registered Users Posts: 12,724 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I agree. Its my belief that they are a family of utter cretins.

So you're ok with this?

Martina Burke also shouted at Sally Maaz's distressed father, Abdullah, as she was being removed from the hearing by gardaí.

Well, they are clearly not worried about the price of fuel. It's great that Dad can take time off work to support him..

• Registered Users Posts: 24,014 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

You're a chronic speller for a former teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Yet more use of the word 'freedom' which you clearly have no idea of, nor understand the constitution for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,014 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,204 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

If my boss implements a policy I feels goes against me, I go to his superior. That doesn't work, I go to HR. If that doesn't work, if I'm in a union, I go to them. If I'm in a government job, maybe I go to the relevant dept. If that doesn't work I get a lawyer. There's always procedures in place, whatever the job.

What I don't do is harass my boss at a religious service in front of coworkers and students/families. I would fully expect to have disciplinary action taken against me.

If I was suspended with full pay, I wouldn't keep going back to work every day and taking up a classroom so that they have to send students elsewhere. I'd hire a lawyer and prepare for my disciplinary hearing.

If they got an injunction against me, I wouldn't break that injunction.

If I got fired, I'd get a lawyer and prepare for the WRC hearing. Not trespass on school property disrupting staff, students and parents.

He might be a teacher but none of his actions have helped students, actually the opposite. He's taken the most disruptive action each and every time he could without caring about anyone else. There's always been a less disruptive option and he's always ignored it.

I honestly have a feeling that this isn't even about a trans student. It's about them getting attention for their cause.

Advertisement