Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,062 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

If what happens ?

It's terribly vague. Are they talking the section from William St. to the Y junction or all the way to the market. I would assume not as it turns Denmark St. and Little Gerald Griffin St. into Cul de sacs unless the alleyways running from William St. to Sean Heuston place are cleaned up to make the latter a one way.

Wickham St. is also 1 way so I wonder if that means adding a cycle lane on William St and Upper Gerald Griffin St. to connect to the Parnell route going both directions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

The traders there will be delighted with that. I can imagine the whining from drivers though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭Comhrá

No drivers will be whining. They'll just take their business elsewhere.

There's only one Volcano Wings in Limerick though. Nowhere else comes close for hot wings.

High St. itself is all food now so I would say they wont mind. It's how it affects access to other streets is the thing.

But if what 95 reported is all there is then it's far too early for me to be getting worked up about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

Lots of people avoid the city now because of traffic delays and it's having an impact on businesses in the city but maybe that's what some people want.

I often think if we keep going will we end up with streets of cafes, vape shops & vacant ground floors

Barry's on High street was probably one of the best hardware shops in town but closed because customers were pushed towards retail parks. We have family businesses like Finucane's electrical, Albany paints, McCarthy's furniture, etc, trying to survive by moving to the outlets in the suburbs.

Then you see a store like Debenhams being left idle because there's no interest in having a big store in the city. Eventually we'll end up with no reason to visit the city.

• Advertisement

Well we will have the cafes and vape shops as a reason to visit the city.

It's wasn't a problem with the city centre that "pushed" people and businesses out to the retail parks. People chose to go to the retail parks for the big chain shops.

The truth is most people didn't care about the likes of Barry's (a shop I used often and remember well) or the other hardware shop across from it. Most people were more than happy to flock to the big retail chains with their massive advertising budgets and often later opening hours.

No city will survive with cafes and vape shops alone. Yes some people did make the choice to go to retail parks but that choice was somewhat influenced by how difficult it became to shop in the city.

There was a core group that moaned about the parking spaces created during Covid for "click & collect" or whatever they were called but I (as a driver) thought they were a brilliant idea. If the city continues to make driving into it an obstacle then don't be surprised if shoppers go elsewhere.

The click & collect were a brilliant idea. Killed by illegal parking sadly.

Those cafes you are so derogatory about look an awful lot busier than those old hardware stores were.

And a city can add bars, restaurants, smaller shops like book and niche clothes shops and shoe shops to the cafes and vape shops.

One thing and only one thing created the traffic problem in the city. People buying way more cars and it's not sneaky vested interests like you think.

In my lifetime my road went from a few houses with cars to 2 cars per house. The city streets were never designed to take that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭adaminho

The problem with the city centre is the size of the units. The footprint of city centre stores is usually smaller than the stockroom of retail parks/shopping centres! The reason most stores are leaving the city is because of space. Think of the largest units in town and you're looking at BT, Penney's, Debenhams and Guineys and then a massive step down in size.

The only way to fix the city centre for people who think only the big retail chains can save it is to rip the whole place down and turn it into a retail park.

Mostly I have seen 2 models for a modern city centre. The UK approach of trying to modify the centre and making the whole place look like ring roads and off ramps like Belfast, Leeds or Leicester.

Or the mainland European approach of a low traffic old town built around hospitality (and I don't just mean tourist areas)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

If/when the car park reopens, then there's no way High Street gets closed to traffic IMO.

Personally I'd revert Upper Gerald Griffin St to two way traffic and pedestrianise Wickham St between Thomas St and William St. This would remove quite a bit of traffic heading down High St. The one way system we have in Limerick doesn't really help when it comes to closing streets to traffic.

Would it not just be easier to just close High St. but only as far as Mother Mac's and part of Back Lane.

Seeing as this is about cycle lanes you could also fix up some of those adjacent laneways for cyclists. I already use them myself on the bike rather than High St.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭AnonZen

Speaking as someone living in Limerick county, there's very little that would attract me into the city centre these days. Showing my age a bit but I've very fond memories of travelling in with friends, hitting the cinema, bowling, pissing the staff in Savins off. Lobster Pot, Kranks, Supermacs (if we were lazy). Arthur's Quay Shopping Centre and Cruises Street were relatively new and shiny. There was just a lot to do. And I appreciate this is through the lens of nostalgia and a younger, less critical eye but the enticement for me to load up the car with the family and take a spin in just isn't there.

That is all about your age.

Everything except the cinema is still there. Not actually Lobster Pot or Kranks but plenty of other fast foods way more than before and added to that way more restaurants and a vastly improved offering in the market and Wickham Way.

It's 100% about your age.

Not going to lie, that stings.

I still think there's less to do, especially if you aren't particularly interested in food or drink. Although I wasn't aware there was a cinema in the centre again, where is it?

Sorry, misread about the cinema.

I said except the cinema although there is the Limetree cinema in the Belltable. We do also have 3 which are a simple bus ride to the centre though.

Youre right though a lot of what town is about is food and drink now (which is a large part of what seems to have brought you in before) but Savin's is still there. And was Arhurs Quay ever really that good or did we just think it was because Limerick had fek all else.

Its not just a Limerick thing though that's just how cities are going. Massive units like cinemas and bowling won't bother with smaller city centres.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

8pm screening of Aftersun in the Belltable was sold out on Monday night

Had Cailín Ciúin on its first pre Oscar hype run and again in a few weeks now that's it's be rerun nationally post hype.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

The Belltable is a great amenity, Limerick could certainly do with a few more like it. Not sure of the exact plans for the Opera Centre, but it would be nice to see some arts centre/theatre/community space in there. In fairness, the Rugby Museum should be a night addition to the city. Just need more like it.

A cinema in town would be nice, but a mere novelty I feel. Too many big multiplexes in the suburbs. Maybe a niche offering like The Lighthouse, which offers drink, could do well. Same applies to the bowling/sports type offerings.

In general, Limerick frustrates me as a city. So much potential, which we all allude to, but its never capitalised on. Always seems to be a city fighting for it's identity. Currently it's a city of compromises, trying to appease everyone, but it needs a defined plan going forward. And I tend to agree with others posting here - renovate existing buildings (especially some of the gorgeous Georgian ones), get people back to living in the city, redevelop the streetscape (looking at you Catherine St.), lower rents and taxes for shops/pubs/cafes, less traffic, and more pedestrians. Everyday should be like Saturday in Limerick - people walking the riverfront, market buzzing, cafes busy, etc. One can dream...

• Advertisement

Event and novelty hospitality doesn't seem to be much of a thing in Ireland. It's most likely down to licencing law and insurance.

When I was in the UK you could drink at everything. Makes it much easier to have something like Lighthouse or a licensed bowling place.

We had an an arcade bar that obviously not enough people went to. They do art classes and stuff in Crew which is about as much activity as you will find in a Limerick pub that isn't just drinking.

This would be great if they provided enough car parking spaces. In which case it would be most welcome.

Otherwise the inevitable hollowing out of Limerick city centre will happen all the quicker. But, it should be doable. Limerick city centre shouldn’t be an artery to go elsewhere.

Is Limerick city centre "hollowed out"?

Do we have an exceptionally high number of commercial vacancies compared to previous decades ?

Do we have less shops in the centre than before ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Build the LNDR and that will help move traffic around the city than through it

Well there was a time where we had a huge store on the corner of Sarsfield St and O'Connell St, that's vacant now and it was one if not the biggest in size.

Ya but a nearby big site has reopened as part of the university after years of closure. Another perennial derelict site is about to be an Aldi.

Single examples are easy but I'm saying is town as a whole struggling compared to 10 or 20 years ago. Doesn't look like it to me but I don't have any stats to back that up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

This nonsense about a supposed lack of parking in Limerick city centre just has to stop. There is an abundance of on street parking, surface and multi storey car parks in the city centre. Equating to around 5,000 spaces in total. We don't have a problem with a lack of parking spaces. What we do have is a massive issue with an excessive amount of traffic and ignorant lazy parking in the city centre. The domination of the car and the massively disproportionate amount of space afforded to cars has turned the city streets into grim ugly, noisy, polluted and dilapidated spaces. This is the unfortunate reality and it urgently needs to be addressed if Limerick is to have any chance of growing and improving to any significant degree.

In relation to High Street, there is no issue with closing off the section from William Street to Upper Denmark Street to traffic. It's just a point duplication route anyhow and the same access is available via Gerald Griffin Street and Cathedral Place in any event.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭StevenToast

I love parking up at the train station and strolling into the city....

On the other hand...the wife doesnt because of the scum element hanging around up there.....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Advertisement

Hold on, you said "commercial vacancies" and then you reply with an education premises.

Advertisement