Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LIDL plus app

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,331 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

I won’t say no to 10% off

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

I have mostly stopped scanning it as well, unless by some miracle they actually have the Parkrun freebie in stock (no porridge in local Castleisland store when I checked at about 8.20am on Friday last).

There is never anything I would bother with in the "treats" anymore, even if they were 90% off, not to mind poxy 15% to 20%. Shopping is costing so much more now than it did this time last year, especially at LIDL themselves, but I am supposed to get excited about 15% off something like a 75g tin of scallops in roasted cinnamon, coconut and Greek yoghurt sauce?

Seriously, has LIDL completely replaced the people at the top of their Irish operation in the last six months or something? I notice they have also started using a very strange sounding slogan again: "Go full Lidl". It really doesn't sound like something thought up by an Anglophone at all, and is very similar to the kind of slogans they were using when they initially arrived in Ireland, before they began to get to grips with the Irish market properly.

I refer especially to their early, awkward and confusingly phrased slogan: "Lidl brand quality is cheaper" from circa 2000-2001. What they were trying to convey back then was that a Lidl branded product, say for example a tin of peas, was of similar quality to a big name brand such as Bachelor's, while being much more affordable. But the phrasing of the slogan was so poor that it sounds like they are implying that their own brand products are of a "cheap quality", and thus not very good.

Anyway, before I end this rant, to get back to the Plus app. Last Friday the lady at the Lidl checkout asked if I had LIDL Plus app, so I said yes but wasn't going to scan it as I had no interest in any of the so called "treats" other than the free Parkrun porridge which they hadn't even bothered to stock. She then goes "But do you want to scan it anyway?" I laughed and said "For what? So that LIDL can get some marketing data for free? No thanks, they can do their own research from now on."

I got the impression from her that I was not the first person that was no longer bothering with the app and that they are being encouraged to try and counter this.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭MB05

The second scratch card is 15% off Cien Products. For what it's worth there was loads of the free parkrun porridge in the Coolock store (Malahide Road) when I was in there yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭go4it

same line-up of scrachcards for the last 2 weeks :

-15% off Cien range

-50% off chewy strips or tortilla chips

-20% off Bellarom coffee range ( including XXL bags )

-free snack bag with €30 purchases

-3 off €30 voucher

regarding the app: all major network have apps - some consumers perceive it as useful , other don't .

To put things in perspective - they all heavily collect data, but Lidl's has receipts archive, you can 'star-highlight the ones you want, etc ' ; Du nnes 's does the data collection, but you can use the vouchers even without the app, if you don't opt-out from paper vouchers ( that's why they made it harder to re-activate the paper vouchers option )

Supp er valu' collects data, but they already implemented a counter-measure for those who think to ditch the app: you need the app to generate voucher discount codes...

Giving items for free was within the acceptable costs for Lidl, but they didn't anticipate that people will swap QR codes or sell discount codes on Adverts. So they had to hit the brakes, and do a bit of coasting with the app freebies

• Registered Users Posts: 9,178 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I like the app for storing receipts, I think all major retailers should have one. Or one to cover all of them. Cuts down on needless paper and ink usage and very handy if something goes under warranty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,417 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I've only used them twice since they put the price of their Craft beer up by 25%, once to pick up a Parkrun freebie and the second time to see if they had any briquettes (they didn't, but in fairness they can't be got anywhere in town at the moment.).

I still scan the app though because if they are monitoring my usage they will see that they've lost at least €70 a week from me on beer sales alone plus around another fifty on the rest of my purchases while I was in there.

Aldi all the way at the moment even though they've put their Craft up by 10c which probably wouldn't have happened either if Lidl hadn't got so greedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭rameire

the main reason why alcohol has gone up is due to minimum pricing laws on alcohol.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

Not in this case. The Craft beers were already above MUP before the increase.

Freebie alert

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭xpletiv

Agreed with many points here. Jump in lidl is maddening and the loss of freebies has definitely put me off going there and going to dunnes with a voucher instead. Or aldi. Shame cause lidl is closest to me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Father Frisky

Scratchcards gone completely now. Doesn't appear on receipt anymore.

Tis no harm, be better if they went back to the super weekend savers instead. App only good for the receipts now

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Moving2017

I got one today.

50% off chewy strips or tortilla chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,178 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Yes but the price of the craft beers was set when you could get a can of piss-larger for 50c, now they have no such competition so can jack the prices of them up

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Father Frisky

Not showing for me. Assumed twas same for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Moving2017

The alert doesn’t say there is one but when I go into the receipt it’s there. (Now scratched).

Maybe I got one as I haven’t been in much over the past a few weeks?

Edit to show it said the same as today in December.

Yeah, I know that's the reason. Hence I've moved to Aldi who haven't got greedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Can you only get one scratch card a day?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭georgem25

You can get a scratch card every 10 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭go4it

Parkrun - couldn't find the plums for a few days in different shops- staff didn't knew when willl be back in stock

Eventually gave up and took the salad - on the shelf 2 salad bags with orange sticker gives me the impression others are still waiting for plums...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭SourSessions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭GAAcailin

Have looked for them 3 or 4 times over last week in different stores and no joy. They have the non-organic ones which I would take as a substitute - presume this isn't possible thought...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

15% off cien

App is gone sh**

If they keep going like this people just won’t bother scanning even if they are shopping there, I noticed supervalu are doing points towards Tupperware now so spend €300 to collect 300 points and get something for 1 cent and it goes up for bigger items

scanning at Lidl now seems pointless apart from the receipt for middle aisle items

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭crayon80

Anyone noticed if the porridge and beetroot are back on the shelves now that the parkruns have expired?

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Escapees

Do you want some bad news?! Lidl has more than doubled the price of the Maribel peanut butter in the last day or so. It has gone up from €0.99 to €2.75 for the half kg jar and from €1.99 to over a fiver for the plastic 1kg tub. Can't understand the logic in them selling it so cheaply recently and not even showing it as being on special...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭georgem25

Still no porridge in my store. Loads of the beetroot. Its part of this weeks 6 veg on offer. They are in a net instead of the tray that it showed on the app

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Just on the porridge, mine wasn't in its usual spot they only had flanavans, but they had the other one over near the nuts

They used to be €5 for the 1kg tub before and dropped the price in November I think

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭tbahh

Yes, they are back to the same price they were before the price drop. I bought a few of them at the cheaper price and only recently realised why they cost less - at least the 1kg tubs, unsure about the 500g ones; they have a BBE of February 2023. Not that even matters as peanut butter lasts a long time after the BBE.

• Advertisement

Weekly freebie is here

Advertisement