Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paschal Donohoe expenses controversy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

Murphy very quickly forgets his upbringing - his dad was CEO of Mars Ireland and sadly dies very young at the age of 42 when Paul was just 11, but financially he never wanted for anything due to his dad's insurance policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Does anyone listen to him outside of the water protest. I mean he was in the dail banging White Europeans taken over people from Africa and alike. I think RBB said there were 50k empty houses. PM said there were 120k If I heard correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Great, you and Larbre34 seem to be of a similar mindset. Explain to me then how it's ok for that 'ol crony Frank Flannery to be out lobbying for a foreign property firm.

That all just part of 'doin business the FFG way is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,755 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

It's not a hotel room, it is a room rented from a taxpayer-funded body, who never made a fuss about not being paid. I wonder why. Did they grants while SF were running Dublin City Council? Have they got other favourable deals from the local authority? Who knows, but that is the type of question that would have Pearse Doherty bursting a blood vessel asking in the Dail.

The value of the two rooms not paid for in this single case - €1200 - is greater than the amount that SF supporters were shouting about Paschal for. And it is only the tip of the iceberg it seems. Remember only last week, they adjusted their 2020 election expenses for €7,000 because of a Covid oversight.

This isn't without even mentioning the hundreds of "volunteers" (otherwise known as paid employees of SF in the North) who get shipped in from outside this jurisdiction every election to canvass, put up posters, and generally annoy voters.

Most people here would have no Issue every party put under a huge microscope. Others hand wave away wrong doings.

• Advertisement

My view is that the election rules are a complicated mess and if anybody claims that they are fully clean, then they are hiding something serious because it is close to impossible to make a full return and cover anything.

On the Paschal thing, it seems that because Stone paid the guys to put up posters, there is a breach. So if I was a Green party member and paid my kids (who let's say were not party members) a few Euro to deliver leaflets for the Greens, that would have to be declared. A ridiculous requirement and one of many such overly detailed and complicated requirements and pretty much guaranteed to ensure every politician breaches the rules at some point or another.

I can see now why SIPO is ineffective. It spends its time up and down every tree counting acorns while the wood is being burned down elsewhere.

As for most people here, the mob with pitchforks soon disappeared once SF got dragged into this mess. Look back in the thread and the loudest voices condemning him have gone eerily silent in an enormous display of hypocrisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭howiya

That's all well and good once the donations are within the legal limit and are declared appropriately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭howiya

Income earned should always be declared. Its not that ridiculous. And it should be declared by the relevant party too.

SIPO is ineffective by design.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

There’s a big difference between meeting a Minister and having a 1:1 sit down with a Minister in their Departmental office.

How many 1:1 sit downs with Minister O’Gorman did you have in his Departmental office?

And you know that his diary is available on FOI.

Hard to find out if done via a chat group on the phone for example. Or can that be FOI ?

• Advertisement

None, in his Ministerial Office, but I met him plenty of times in Blanchardstown. If I wanted or needed a sit-down with any Minister in their office, I could get one. So could thousands of others across the country. Might take a bit of time to set up and a few phone calls, but it could be done. Better to work through their officials though.

I find it is Ministers who are more interested in meeting because of photo opportunities than people want to meet them.

Ministers and TDs spend their weekends in their constituencies. Easy to grab five minutes with them any time.

Look at Donohue’s diary and see how many of his constituents got one meeting in his Ministerial calendar, let alone thirteen.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,978 ✭✭✭✭JRant

The party HQ out in force today it seems.

Couple of key points:

Investigate all parties if this is as wide spread as it seems.

Anyone making donations, like Mr Stone, are already required to register their interest. It's time to police this properly and no more of this "I forgot" nonsense.

SF seem to really get under a lot of people's skin.

PD told fibs and has been caught out. Not a big deal is what I keep hearing but look at what ministerial brief he currently has and tell me he's not in an untenable situation.

Politics in this country has long been done with a nod and wink attitude. That needs to change.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

I saw my local in the shopping centre once. I wanted to have a chat but they made sure to not make eye contact. Think it was my hair shave it off in the summer. Did notice they went into the book shop and people were chatting with them. 🤐

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭griffin100

i think PD is more guilty of arrogance than deceit in this case. I suspect he didn't pay enough attention to what was being done in his name and his initial comments didn't do him any favors.

Was / is he corrupt? No more so than any other politician in an environment where political patronage is a part of life (rightly or wrongly). When SF are in the next government watch the appointing of their supporters to various Boards and Quangos (as we see with every party when in power).

Unless someone can show a direct link to PD influencing the awarding of commercial contracts I would rather he stay than go. If he is shown to have influenced the awarding of commercial contracts then he would have to go. I would be disappointed if he is shown to have behaved corruptly, he has always seemed like a straight politician (in so far as a politician that makes it to cabinet can be considered as straight, they are ruthles b@stards)

The Independent have gone after him to try and take some of the glory from The Ditch I think (and possibly to ingratiate themselves with our new imminent overlords in SF).

I have to say I was surprised to see SF go after him over this issue. They are treading on very thin ice given their own background around funding and donations and it was only a matter of time before their own transgressions were bound to come to light. A party that has taken donations from a gangland criminal, has openly stated that it has no issues with criminals becoming political advisors, resorts to libel cases against journalists, and has a poor record on issues such as the supreme court should be picking its morality battles a bit better. SF would have been better served to let the gormless plebs in Labour do the heavy lifting on this issue.

We can talk all we want about the behavioral standards we want from our politicians but all parties will ensure that the status quo of a toothless SIPO remains in place as there is no genuine appetite for change.

I am sure that there are many Chairmen of State Bodies and CEOs who got meetings with him?

It's in the way you approach them. Don't go straight to the Minister, approach one of the henchmen, I'm with such and such, could I have a quick word with the Minister/TD.

Once you have met them once in a situation like that, easy enough to chat to them in other situations. Politicians seem to have the memory of elephants, they'll remember you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

FG have had 12 years to reform SIPO amongst other much needed reform spelled out in costly tribunals. FG promised the world and delivered Zero. They even made FF legitimate again.

2 more years of this please. Expose it all.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Oh I get that Blanch. But they were alone visibly. Think it's as I don't really look like their demographic. Better just to walk on and I would never hector them. Now obviously different if they call to my door looking for a vote. But were all human.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭Floppybits

And not only did they make FF legitimate again, they have now made SF going on the latest polls a legitimate government party. That is some doing and now all they can do is point the finger and say what about SF, they have nothing to back up there decade or so in government. I suppose they can point to crises that caused in health and housing and destruction of the Gardai as a force in the country. They are doing well.

When FF were destroying our economy in 2007, Sinn Fein had 4 seats.

When FG won the 2011 election after writing their now infamous New Politics document to fix all the problems FF had caused including cronyism, corruption and waste, Sinn Fein had only 14 seats.

Fast forward 12 years and FG have shown as much corruption, cronyism and waste as FF ever did in their height. FG have completely destroyed the housing market and the health system. Disasters. Our young people including much needed doctors and nurses are leaving in droves. Look at the CAMHS report this week alone - shocking stuff. Children's Hospital cost anyone? Sinn Fein now have 37 seats and are on track for much more in 2 years.

The FG rot has pushed desperate voters to SF and other parties or Independents. I voted FG for 20 years (like an idiot) but I cannot vote for SF personally. Will a SF led govt be any less corrupt than FFG? Who knows...We'll see. The "I'm-alright-Jack" folks with zero vision will continue to vote for the power swap status quo but FG will not be able to buy a transfer in the next election and they will lose more seats. I can only hope for better days and a better political system.

FFG don't know the meaning of the word reform. Having a minister for reform is a complete sham.

New Politics 2011 (Fine Gael document)

The New Politics is the most ambitious programme for political reform since the 1930s. Fine Gael, the party that created the State and declared it a Republic, will build a New Republic in Ireland - where trust is restored in our democratic institutions and the concerns of the Citizen, rather than the elites, are placed firmly at the centre of government

All Bullshit. No reform.

You won't see the lapdogs contacting their FG reps about the lack of promised reform though...oh no. Tip the cap.

Don't they normally say they can change their mind overtime especially if it's useful.

I brought Frank Flannerys name into this earlier because I think his activities are comparable to Pascal's in this case and I want to see if the Ffg bunch are as quick to shill for him?

Anyone going to step to his defence?

For the younger visitors, or those that might have forgotten amongst the other scandals, Frank Flannery is a former director of strategy for Fg.

The party distanced themselves from him when it was found he had been paid 400k in consultancy fees from the same charity he was director of. He refused to come before the PAC and explain himself.

He was brought back to the fold to help with the 2016 elections, maybe because Stone wasn't putting up posters fast enough.

Just prior to helping Ffg with that election he was lobbying ministers on behalf of Johnny Ronan and the Bartra property group.

His name was since leaked as part of the Panama papers, showing involvement with offshore firms connected to money laundering.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/alan-kelly-meeting-with-developer-not-unusual-says-spokesman-1.2605658

Actually how did he get away with lobbying like that in 2016 while working with Ffg?

I thought the rules we have around cooling off periods would have been in place back then?

Was his work with Ffg 'unofficial'?

Have we forgot the party of law and order forgot to pay tax for years. 🤐

I am sure that there are many Chairmenpersons of State Bodies and CEOs that are under the aegis of his Department who got meetings with him. I'll bet a fiver that you won't find meetings in his diary with Chairs for state bodies that come under other Departments (such as Stone's two chairing roles).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,026 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

So what!

Stone is a local party supporter of Donohoe, it'd be far less likely to believe that they don't often meet!

Advertisement