Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland running out of accommodation for Ukrainian refugees due to surge in non-Ukrainian refugees?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,120 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Supply of houses is being impacted by everyone in the country looking for a house. If half a million Irish born people are currently looking to buy or rent a house, that is also seriously impacting on the housing / accommodation situation. This constant linking in this thread and elsewhere of housing shortages to immigration is far from helpful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭thomas 123

To say it doesn’t impact the housing supply at all is simply untrue though which was what I responded to initially.

Id agree completely otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Glastonbury is 900 acres and can facilitate 210,000 people

the Phoenix Park is 1500 acres so could easily hold 80,000

just treat it as one very long festival

sorted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,957 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

What you stated is 100% a fact that a 4 year old could comprehend.

So I do not believe that poster is being serious.

More people equals less houses.

Less houses equals increased demand which equals higher prices.

The prices of houses and rent have skyrocketed because of this.

These are undeniable facts.

That poster pretending immigration which means more people and increased demand is not contributing to the problem is not being serious.

It has been explained multiple times in the thread, I am not sure why anyone bothers to keep explaining it, myself included.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

If half a million Irish people are looking, they are looking because they couldn't find in the first place, and they couldn't find in the first place because of competition with the state and all the newly arrived immigrants in the last 10 years. State policies have failed these people, which has causes the problem, yet in your eyes those Irish people are the guilty too, guilty of not being able to find somewhere to rent/own? You clearly hold this odd internationalist view, that immigrants have the exact same rights to a home as natives, and legally it's true, but it shouldn't be. Natives should have preferences to homes, that shouldn't be considered a radical thing. It's our nation, built by our ancestors, that our families have lived in for hundreds and hundreds of years, and that should at least give us a right to be homed first.

I tried getting accommodation recently in a tourist hot spot on the West coast, and I struggled to even get a viewing. I eventually got one, but the landlord decided to give it to a local instead. While I would have loved to get it, I understand exactly why they'd give a preference to their own first. Looking after your own should be a staple, and not something considering bad or wrong.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

People in their own country trying to buy a house in said country, imagine.

How exactly does the influx of 70,000 people (a further 80,000 projected for this year) not at all impact the supply of those houses for the existing population of our country?

Where will these 150,000 people live if not in dwellings that would otherwise be occupied by the existing population? The knock on effect of this on the housing supply will drive up prices for the current supply. This is a crisis already and is being exacerbated by this influx. For you to continually argue otherwise is dishonest in the extreme.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭bertieinexile

To be confirmed, but the location for next Saturday's "Dublin Says No" protest might be amusing.

Something everyone could get behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,482 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The prices of houses and rent have skyrocketed because of this.

That isn't completely true. The price of housing has increased because of the core price of materials. Not my opinion, that's according to the building federations.

Also rent is pretty stable for sitting tenants (vast majority) running far below inflation, this was achieved by government policies unfortunately these policies along with an increase in house prices saw a lot of once of landlords leave the market, which put pressure the rental market and increased prices for new tenancies.

Honestly though people need to hyperventilating about the Irish Property Market, it's part of the problem.

It wasn't long ago we were bulldozing houses.

Adding Direct Provision residents into the market has a displacement effect for low to medium income families currently in rented accommodation

O'Gorman's plan essentially created an environment where homeless individuals and families in emergency accommodation or at risk of homelessness are directly competing for rental accommodation with those currently in Direct Provision and it was inevitable, given the constraints in housing supply, that one of the impacts was to increase the monthly numbers reported by Government for those individuals and families in emergency accommodation and experiencing homelessness.

The plan also means that local authorities have to use their own stock, which was meant for social housing applicants, to meet a mandatory requirement to house asylum seekers.

They're not my words. That's the response two years ago from Darragh O'Brien's Department of Housing to Roderic O'Gorman's plans to grant amnesties and own door accommodation to everyone in Direct Provision.

There's loads more here.

https://assets.gov.ie/121982/4937e649-414a-40c8-a682-d600f103da79.pdf

And those stark warnings were issued based on an expected 3,500 per annum figure for new asylum seekers.

At the time "Green Party Minister of State for Community Development Joe O’Brien accused the Department of Housing of “not being very collegiate” and warned that its language would pit vulnerable people against each other.

“Of course it’s their job to flag barriers and difficulties with [the Day report], but I think they’ve crossed the line in going further and pushing back against the proposed policy. What they’re doing is very unconstructive,” he said.

He was “surprised and disappointed” by the department’s opposition.

If I am buying a house what has that got to do with building materials?

I am buying a house, not building a house or doing up the house, just purchasing the property.

Can you please provide a link to that statement from the building federations.

• Advertisement

Hopefully the following will help focus attention on the actual topic of this thread - the effect the surge in non-Ukrainian refugees has had on accommodation for Ukrainian refugees.

We can't have that discussion without knowing the breakdown in terms of numbers of Ukrainians vs non Ukrainians arriving month by month, country by country, and especially the trends over time. In particular the PPS numbers issued for same.

Sadly, and for reasons I'm sure we can only guess at, while the Department of Social Protection makes those numbers available in theory, they do so in a format that makes it rather difficult to actually work out the numbers in practice.

Fear not. Someone has done the State some service.

Here are all those Departmental figures, but broken down and with a searchable and filterable front end.

https://app.powerbi.com/view?r=eyJrIjoiMTRjNDVlZjYtMmM0Mi00YjgyLTg1ZDYtZTQ4MjBiZTRiMWUzIiwidCI6IjdmOTJhNGU1LWNiMjAtNGU0Mi1hY2EwLTlkMDhkYzM3OWVhYSJ9

Very impressive and very useful. Thank you that man or woman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Someone born and raised in Ireland has more of a right to a house than someone who's come from elsewhere though.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Blind As A Bat

You may not be building it but a developer did. If it's a new build then the cost of the materials used to build it will affect the asking price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,136 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Have you taken in one yourself? Let me guess... no.

What’s this nonsense about? They’re not Tamagotchi! 🙄

There’s no such thing as Ireland being full, Government can MAKE room, as it’s always done. Where do you imagine 50,000 babies born every year fit? And I wouldn’t ask you to take a single one 😂

I know you’re not gullible enough to believe Government have any interest in being told by you or anyone else what their fundamental responsibilities are, but any responsibility it has towards Irish citizens is only equally matched by it’s fundamental responsibilities under numerous agreements in international human rights law.

Government doesn’t get to ignore that responsibility just because you wish they would.

Okay well if we take my situation.

I bought a house 7 months ago.

The next door neighbour bought the house two years ago.

Both are not new builds, they were just being sold.

Being the nosey neighbour she is, she told me what she paid for the house.

I paid roughly 30% more than she paid.

Is that due to increase in building materials or more to do with increased house prices due to increased demand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Its like a parallel universe here where people are trying to argue that no matter how many immigrants arrive in the country whether its 100,000 , 500,000,1,000,000 whatever it has no effect on Irish peoples chances of getting a house or acessing health care, education etc. I understand they believe in open borders but surely they must realise a small country like Ireland can only take in so many.

What a ridiculous argument.

50k babies are born each year to FAMILIES 99 percent of whom have a house to bring the child home to.

And it seems you haven't accommodated any Ukrainian yourself. Neither have I

But I'm not on here virtue signalling. .

Even our own lunatic government has come out and said “Ireland is full” When is enough ever enough for you people?

You can find old threads on here, where many of us were of the view that no matter how bad things got, there'd still be people defending this stuff. Essentially there's no conditions, no bad state, where they'll admit that this stuff have been a disaster for the nation. They'll literally never admit defeat no matter how obvious it becomes.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 37 palette

You'd wonder about the people who took Ukrainians into their home. Surely the penny has dropped that there is nowhere for these people to go now, next year or anytime, and that's not withstanding the stated fact that a majority of them have already said they don't intend to go back to Ukraine ever. Talk about strife.

So now that it's stated fact, incontrovertible, that there is no more room for anyone in Ireland, what now?

What's the plan?

An immediate freeze on inward migration is the only sensible option. Emphasis on "immediate". But I'd be happy to hear alternatives.

East Wall protest 5pm today.

City West protest 7pm today.

Ballymun protest 5.30pm tomorrow.

Clondalkin protest 6pm tomorrow.

Big protest in Dublin on Saturday.

How much credit can the protestors claim for the change in public sentiment and change in language from government? It's an open question. The internal contradictions and lack of realism in immigration policy, not to mention the laws of physics, account for a lot of it.

How much credit will the protestors be given for the change in mood and subsequent changes in policy. Quite a lot I'd guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,565 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

To continue to believe there is no connection between more immigrants and an increased demand for housing is baffling.

I'm not even sure anyone apart from yourself is even saying this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,482 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Huh? Do you think new houses just appear. 😕

They have to built with building materials by a builder. Same with the renovation of existing homes.

If there is less new homes, existing properties become more expensive.

This is basic stuff TBF.

Do you know who doesn't need housing in this country? People who live in other countries.

Zero materials needed, zero time needed, zero money needed, zero land needed, zero regulation needed, zero planning permission needed, zero builders needed.

It's quite the economic wizardry.

When those people move here, into a country with practically zero available housing, then all the above are needed and its insanely expensive.

And that's how we got to where we are.

Remember the covid threads? Where people warned you about the economic effect that these policies would have? And you, as you always do, downplayed the threat over and over again. Now you're here a few years later posting links about rising costs. I'd say that it's unbelievable, but sadly it's not.

Let me try to extract something useful from this. God loves a trier.

Like a lot of other people we can both see something different about the Finglas protest led by Finglas local, Graham Carey.

The fact that it's different than the other protests takes from the idea that these are all centrally controlled by some shady organisation.

My worry about the Finglas protest is exactly the opposite of yours. I worry about the lack of organisation and control. Especially since it's being led by the fiery Graham. Who looked for a men only protest. In Finglas.

Graham showed up in East Wall in the early days, made a speech and, immediately after, East Wall came up with the no speeches, no party banners rule. He's seen as out there - not as out there as Gemma O'Doherty, but out there. I don't know anyone who'd describe themselves as a supporter of Graham - he's a one man show.

Finglas seem keenly aware of how counterproductive any violence would be.

But again there's that lack of control and organisation.

There's also a genuine, locally driven, anger.

They seem to be playing with fire but so far it's being handled.

Personally I think it's not worth the risk. They'd be better off with the more low key protests you see everywhere else. But again that's what happens with grassroots protest. No one's in charge.

I think if you could step away from the script that needs to see them as "Far Right" puppets you'd have a better insight in to what's going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,136 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

You’re on here virtue signalling as much as anyone else, it’s a silly accusation that’s aimed at anyone expressing a difference of opinion to your own, ie - meaningless.

With that out of the way, the argument is so simple it should sound familiar - it’s similarly framed as the way in which asylum seekers are being portrayed as just a numbers game to suggest “Ireland is full”. It’s not, there’s no such thing as a country being full. It’s simply a matter of making more efficient use of resources, and investing in more resources in the long-term. There’s a whole rest of the country outside of Dublin that’s chronically underdeveloped, with plenty more room for people.

The reason the current situation has come about, and the reason for this thread, is because while Ireland has the ability to decide whether or not to grant anyone refugee status, Ukrainians have already been granted refugee status, and asylum seekers coming from other countries haven’t been granted the same status. They all still need to be accommodated while their claims are being processed, and the ‘conundrum’ posed in the opening post was whether or not there is any room left to accommodate asylum seekers as a result of prioritising accommodation for Ukrainian refugees.

I never thought asking ordinary people to open their homes to refugees was a good idea in the first place, that’s why I wouldn’t support it, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t plenty Government CAN do to accommodate more asylum seekers and refugees. Plastic containers isn’t it either, that’s just another short term idea that’s going to cost far more to maintain in the long term when local councils won’t even maintain halting sites.

The resources to accommodate as many people as we can take in already exist, it’s the inefficient administration of those resources is causing the bottlenecks in the asylum and refugee system. All the other issues like housing, healthcare, etc that you want to cobble together to claim our immigration policies are responsible, would have come to a head regardless of our immigration policies. They’re completely separate from the issue of providing resources and services for asylum seekers and refugees.

So it's a plain fact of the matter that there is no more accommodation available in the country. As stated by politicians themselves, as witnessed by the shambles of stuffing people into the most inappropriate places such as schools.

De facto. Incontrovertible.

So when is the government going to freeze inward migration in an actionable way?

And if that isn't the proper response, let's hear the alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭lmao10

lol you still did not look up the definition of "inward migration". You haven't got a clue what that means have you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,554 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

"Ireland is full" on the one hand can be considered as a racist dog whistle but on the other it could also be considered as a glib shorthand for "we do not have the infrastructure to continue to accommodate people seeking refuge in the numbers that are presenting".

I don't agree with your contention that the country has a large quantity of idle assets sitting waiting for people to live in them. You say that there are, but you might point us to where this vacant city is, because no one, not even government knows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭screamer

Well if we think we’re full now and we can’t take in anymore, well we will be rightly fecked when the shinners get into power. But this fiasco is polarising society in Ireland just as it has in so many other places. We cannot take in the whole world but our government think otherwise. I always said we should take in as many as we can and as many as we can provide for, but we had no idea how many that was to start with and now it’s a floodgate. And no, because you’re Irish or born here your rights don’t trump someone elses, and they never will, so we can do what they do, emigrate if we don’t like it.

Advertisement