Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland running out of accommodation for Ukrainian refugees due to surge in non-Ukrainian refugees?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Okay well if we take my situation.

I bought a house 7 months ago.

The next door neighbour bought the house two years ago.

Both are not new builds, they were just being sold.

Being the nosey neighbour she is, she told me what she paid for the house.

I paid roughly 30% more than she paid.

Is that due to increase in building materials or more to do with increased house prices due to increased demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Its like a parallel universe here where people are trying to argue that no matter how many immigrants arrive in the country whether its 100,000 , 500,000,1,000,000 whatever it has no effect on Irish peoples chances of getting a house or acessing health care, education etc. I understand they believe in open borders but surely they must realise a small country like Ireland can only take in so many.

What a ridiculous argument.

50k babies are born each year to FAMILIES 99 percent of whom have a house to bring the child home to.

And it seems you haven't accommodated any Ukrainian yourself. Neither have I

But I'm not on here virtue signalling. .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Even our own lunatic government has come out and said “Ireland is full” When is enough ever enough for you people?

You can find old threads on here, where many of us were of the view that no matter how bad things got, there'd still be people defending this stuff. Essentially there's no conditions, no bad state, where they'll admit that this stuff have been a disaster for the nation. They'll literally never admit defeat no matter how obvious it becomes.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 37 palette

You'd wonder about the people who took Ukrainians into their home. Surely the penny has dropped that there is nowhere for these people to go now, next year or anytime, and that's not withstanding the stated fact that a majority of them have already said they don't intend to go back to Ukraine ever. Talk about strife.

So now that it's stated fact, incontrovertible, that there is no more room for anyone in Ireland, what now?

What's the plan?

An immediate freeze on inward migration is the only sensible option. Emphasis on "immediate". But I'd be happy to hear alternatives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭bertieinexile

East Wall protest 5pm today.

City West protest 7pm today.

Ballymun protest 5.30pm tomorrow.

Clondalkin protest 6pm tomorrow.

Big protest in Dublin on Saturday.

How much credit can the protestors claim for the change in public sentiment and change in language from government? It's an open question. The internal contradictions and lack of realism in immigration policy, not to mention the laws of physics, account for a lot of it.

How much credit will the protestors be given for the change in mood and subsequent changes in policy. Quite a lot I'd guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

To continue to believe there is no connection between more immigrants and an increased demand for housing is baffling.

I'm not even sure anyone apart from yourself is even saying this.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Huh? Do you think new houses just appear. 😕

They have to built with building materials by a builder. Same with the renovation of existing homes.

If there is less new homes, existing properties become more expensive.

This is basic stuff TBF.

Do you know who doesn't need housing in this country? People who live in other countries.

Zero materials needed, zero time needed, zero money needed, zero land needed, zero regulation needed, zero planning permission needed, zero builders needed.

It's quite the economic wizardry.

When those people move here, into a country with practically zero available housing, then all the above are needed and its insanely expensive.

And that's how we got to where we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Remember the covid threads? Where people warned you about the economic effect that these policies would have? And you, as you always do, downplayed the threat over and over again. Now you're here a few years later posting links about rising costs. I'd say that it's unbelievable, but sadly it's not.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭bertieinexile

Let me try to extract something useful from this. God loves a trier.

Like a lot of other people we can both see something different about the Finglas protest led by Finglas local, Graham Carey.

The fact that it's different than the other protests takes from the idea that these are all centrally controlled by some shady organisation.

My worry about the Finglas protest is exactly the opposite of yours. I worry about the lack of organisation and control. Especially since it's being led by the fiery Graham. Who looked for a men only protest. In Finglas.

Graham showed up in East Wall in the early days, made a speech and, immediately after, East Wall came up with the no speeches, no party banners rule. He's seen as out there - not as out there as Gemma O'Doherty, but out there. I don't know anyone who'd describe themselves as a supporter of Graham - he's a one man show.

Finglas seem keenly aware of how counterproductive any violence would be.

But again there's that lack of control and organisation.

There's also a genuine, locally driven, anger.

They seem to be playing with fire but so far it's being handled.

Personally I think it's not worth the risk. They'd be better off with the more low key protests you see everywhere else. But again that's what happens with grassroots protest. No one's in charge.

I think if you could step away from the script that needs to see them as "Far Right" puppets you'd have a better insight in to what's going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,921 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

You’re on here virtue signalling as much as anyone else, it’s a silly accusation that’s aimed at anyone expressing a difference of opinion to your own, ie - meaningless.

With that out of the way, the argument is so simple it should sound familiar - it’s similarly framed as the way in which asylum seekers are being portrayed as just a numbers game to suggest “Ireland is full”. It’s not, there’s no such thing as a country being full. It’s simply a matter of making more efficient use of resources, and investing in more resources in the long-term. There’s a whole rest of the country outside of Dublin that’s chronically underdeveloped, with plenty more room for people.

The reason the current situation has come about, and the reason for this thread, is because while Ireland has the ability to decide whether or not to grant anyone refugee status, Ukrainians have already been granted refugee status, and asylum seekers coming from other countries haven’t been granted the same status. They all still need to be accommodated while their claims are being processed, and the ‘conundrum’ posed in the opening post was whether or not there is any room left to accommodate asylum seekers as a result of prioritising accommodation for Ukrainian refugees.

I never thought asking ordinary people to open their homes to refugees was a good idea in the first place, that’s why I wouldn’t support it, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t plenty Government CAN do to accommodate more asylum seekers and refugees. Plastic containers isn’t it either, that’s just another short term idea that’s going to cost far more to maintain in the long term when local councils won’t even maintain halting sites.

The resources to accommodate as many people as we can take in already exist, it’s the inefficient administration of those resources is causing the bottlenecks in the asylum and refugee system. All the other issues like housing, healthcare, etc that you want to cobble together to claim our immigration policies are responsible, would have come to a head regardless of our immigration policies. They’re completely separate from the issue of providing resources and services for asylum seekers and refugees.

So it's a plain fact of the matter that there is no more accommodation available in the country. As stated by politicians themselves, as witnessed by the shambles of stuffing people into the most inappropriate places such as schools.

De facto. Incontrovertible.

So when is the government going to freeze inward migration in an actionable way?

And if that isn't the proper response, let's hear the alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

lol you still did not look up the definition of "inward migration". You haven't got a clue what that means have you?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

"Ireland is full" on the one hand can be considered as a racist dog whistle but on the other it could also be considered as a glib shorthand for "we do not have the infrastructure to continue to accommodate people seeking refuge in the numbers that are presenting".

I don't agree with your contention that the country has a large quantity of idle assets sitting waiting for people to live in them. You say that there are, but you might point us to where this vacant city is, because no one, not even government knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

Well if we think we’re full now and we can’t take in anymore, well we will be rightly fecked when the shinners get into power. But this fiasco is polarising society in Ireland just as it has in so many other places. We cannot take in the whole world but our government think otherwise. I always said we should take in as many as we can and as many as we can provide for, but we had no idea how many that was to start with and now it’s a floodgate. And no, because you’re Irish or born here your rights don’t trump someone elses, and they never will, so we can do what they do, emigrate if we don’t like it.

So it's a plain fact of the matter that there is no more accommodation available in the country.

No it’s not a plain fact.

Roderic O’ Gorman has at various times said that accommodating everyone would be difficult, which it obviously is, and politicians will say a lot, which they often do, that doesn’t make it a fact. What IS a fact, is that there’s more nuance to providing accommodation than simply a numbers game. There’s the reality of determining who can accommodation be provided for and how can resources be put to best use in providing support for asylum seekers and refugees, both Ukrainian refugees and non-Ukrainian refugees, and to that end Roderic has said it would be difficult to provide accommodation for everyone who is entering the country -

The Government is under huge pressure to provide accommodation for tens of thousands of refugees from Ukraine as well as increased numbers of asylum seekers from elsewhere.

Mr O’Gorman said there were about 70,000 people from Ukraine in Ireland with the State providing accommodation for about 54,000 of those. There are also 19,000 international protection applicants being housed by the State.

He said efforts would be made to ensure accommodation would be provided for vulnerable people – giving the example of those bringing children. Mr O’Gorman added: “There is a real risk that those maybe travelling... as single adults won’t be accommodated over the next number of weeks.”

People would be offered food vouchers for meals “but we won’t be in a position to offer accommodation to everybody”.

The Government was said to be working on “some contingencies” and there is an expectation that some additional accommodation of varying sizes will come on stream towards the end of February.

The Government has worked with Ukrainian ambassador Larysa Gerasko to spread the message that if people were in a safe location in Ukraine, now was not the time to come to Ireland.

Mr O’Gorman said that some 15,000 people from Ukraine had found their own accommodation in Ireland. He said people who did not have their own arrangements “can’t be automatically guaranteed accommodation here at the moment... because of the pressure we’re under”.

https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/2023/01/22/minister-warns-of-real-risk-of-lack-of-housing-for-all-refugees-in-coming-weeks/

O’ Gorman has also made the point that the State needs to reduce its reliance on private accommodation for refugees and develop State-owned accommodation -

Minister O’Gorman is expected to outline the challenges facing the State on accommodation for International Protection applicants and those fleeing Ukraine. He will state his view that Ireland has done well in handling the 70,000 Ukrainian refugees who have arrived in Ireland.

However, Ministers will hear that the sourcing of accommodation is becoming increasingly difficult. There is an expectation that many hotels currently under contract with the Department of Children will revert to the tourism trade in March and April.

Minister O’Gorman is expected to tell his colleagues that he believes that the State needs to reduce its reliance on private providers and develop State-owned accommodation, increase community engagement and provide improved support for integration.

Tourism Minister Catherine Martin is expected to say that one of her main priorities for the new year is managing the sector, including accommodation spaces, supports for the sector and incoming visitor numbers.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/politics/roderic-ogorman-wants-develop-state-28925896?int_source=amp_continue_reading&int_medium=amp&int_campaign=continue_reading_button#amp-readmore-target

The alternatives to the States dependency on private accommodation, is providing State-owned accommodation. Government are about 10 years too late with that idea, but it’ll be interesting to see how it works out. It’s not going to be a short-term solution, that’s for sure!

So in short, one minister has said its difficult to accommodate everyone.

Meanwhile, other politicians have flat out stated the observable truth: there is no more room.

This is observable by plonking people left right and centre across the country into the most unsuitable accommodation, such as schools and hotels, repurposed anything and everything.

The government have issued a travel advisory to would-be migrants not to come here as there is no accommodation.

So, you've got one guy saying something vague about difficulty, while the mountain of evidence is stacked on the other side: there is no more accommodation.

Further, you talking about ifs, maybes and buts as to pie in the sky ideas is yet further proof that there is no accommodation right now, and there won't be later.

Conclusion. There is no more available accommodation, as a matter of fact.

Right now. Not maybe tomorrow, or next month, or next year. Right now.

Draw a line under that fact

----------

Now, there is also the slight, slight problem of the housing crisis for irish people. You may have heard a whisper or two about it the last lifetime. Screw everyone else, let's try that for a change.

People have had it with this fiasco. Put a fork in it, it's done.

Directly related to the thread title of "running out of accommodation due to..." (which should be past tense, it HAS ran out), there appears to be much mention of the left, the right, the far left, the far right and these various factions impact on the topic.

This has nothing to do with political ideologies. It isn't a game of teams, or scoring points.

There is no further available accommodation in this country for anyone. Anyone.

The only two groups at play here are those who recognise this reality, and those who refuse to.

This isn't a game. This is, and I'm sure it's no exaggeration, an utter disaster unfolding in real time that will negatively impact this country and its people for a great many years. And that isn't including any worsening of the situation, which appears most likely.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,506 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The following posters are now threadbanned for ignoring all the previous warnings to stick to the topic

Nuts102

TomTomTim

JustTakeTheTrade

Miadhc

US3

lmimmfn

Annasopra

palette

zell12

Miadhc

Astartes

Subzero3

Mike Murdock

Hungry Burger

Post edited by Beasty on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Plenty of unused houses, but a a lot of them wouldn't be suitable.

1000+ have been pledged in the past 2 months, should help in a small way.

I don't agree with your contention that the country has a large quantity of idle assets sitting waiting for people to live in them. You say that there are, but you might point us to where this vacant city is, because no one, not even government knows.

Well that’s not quite what I said, but it IS part of the reason why I said that there exists outside of Dublin a whole rest of the country that’s chronically underdeveloped, with plenty of room for as many people as we can take, but the issue is the administration of those resources, exemplified by the fact that Government UNDERSPEND (you read that right 😁) on housing in 2022, to the tune of €700 million -

https://www.thejournal.ie/housing-targets-budget-5939123-Dec2022/

The Government budgeted for it, the money was there, it just wasn’t spent! I’m not one either for going around pointing to vacant properties and suggesting people be accommodated in them because I understand that these properties if they’re not entirely uninhabitable, dilapidated and beyond the cost of economic feasibility to bring them up to standard, can actually be brought up to standard. There are currently 4,000 properties owned by local authorities which are being LET go into disrepair -

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/news/special-report-4000-properties-owned-by-councils-empty-in-a-housing-crisis-41244351.html

That was in 2022, this was in 2018, the problem isn’t new -

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/scandal-of-3600-council-homes-now-lying-empty-37443999.html

Instead of spending on bringing these properties up to spec, investing in education and schools and other local infrastructure and amenities, Government has continued to rely on, and prop up the private sector for at least the last decade - instead of providing habitable accommodation, they provide HAP schemes to pay subsidised rent to private landlords; instead of providing habitable accommodation, local authorities have relied on hotels and charity organisations to provide emergency accommodation, in order to maintain artificially inflated property values making ownership of property less affordable for a growing number of people.

If they roll over on that now and begin providing accommodation for refugees and asylum seekers and people who are regarded as homeless on housing waiting lists, the vast majority of the Irish electorate, who are homeowners with mortgages, will see the value of their properties depreciate which will basically tank the property market, which Ireland’s economic growth into the future is heavily reliant upon. It would be political suicide for Government to administer resources efficiently in that sense, even though it means crippling families living in poverty, which doesn’t just include Irish people, it includes immigrants, refugees, asylum seekers too. It’s in those Irish people’s interests to support refugees and asylum seekers, because they stand to benefit from the greater distribution of more resources to provide for people regardless of their immigration or citizenship status.

The councils find it difficult to spend the money on housing because there is a lack of interest from housing contractors in doing the work, on renovating "voids" as they are known, while they can get more money working elsewhere.

there is a shortage of builders, and in order to work for the councils, they must go through the tender process, many builders just couldn't be bothered. .The councils have to show they are getting value for money, and have to adhere to the EU tender regulations

I am not surprised the money allocated to housing is unspent.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Has there been a statement from the Opposition and/or the Immigrant Council and the other NGO's with skin in the game yet?

If not I wonder why not. Are they afraid to say anything because they actually support the message being sent to would be IP seekers, or are they keeping their powder dry.

Honestly it is like a one party State. I know it isn't before anyone calls me something something, but I often wonder to myself why the whole lot of them (obviously for different reasons) sing from exactly the same immigrant hymn sheet, and the media doesn't question anything in depth either.

All people want is a voice in a democratic country. There is muzzling going on which isn't right such as a media that is unquestioning and the labelling of anyone anywhere who questions the policy as far right and racist.

Next we will see the upcoming protests reported as being infiltrated by hard right (not concerned communities without any other voice), and racist elements. I dunno, I get a bit worried sometimes and it's not about immigration - it is about the way we are being somewhat brainwashed. Well that's just me I suppose, but it's a valid enough view when you see the reportage.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,575 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Drivetime interviewing some lad from Africa who just arrived today and he was whinging that he had nowhere to stay.

Well he is still near the airport so he can get a flight back tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

They should trump others and they do. Understandably there's no difference for an EU citizen but there is for others (hence why they don't get full welfare or can work). People here have paid taxes all their life and their parents have so deserve a return on that. Immigrants have not.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,327 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

More people interviewed on the Hard Shoulder (a Zimbabwean man and Algerian family iirc) but added "a text in your fave football moments" to dilute down any reactions. All were sleeping rough although the family got somewhere for tonight. Don't think the govt will be thanked by those forced to sleep rough.

There should have been limits set and on reaching those limits a review as to whether to take more or pull down the shutters. Unfortunately the "ah shur god luv dems" cant imagine people being reduced to cold hard statistics...as cold and hard as the concrete and benches these people who were lured here under false pretences and being forced to sleep on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭buried

The established media outlets are basically in bed with politicians and high ranking civil servants. Both those entities need huge numbers brought into the population in order to pay the taxes that end up in their salaries and will go towards their gold plated pensions. NGO's need this income stream too. This is why these huge numbers are being shipped in here. These entities don't give a damn there is no infrastructure to accommodate them, don't give a damn who they are, what they do. They just want them in, increase population, increase the tax takings. Younger indigenous Irish people can't accommodate their plan because young Irish people have been priced out of all markets, especially housing. No housing, no future indigenous population, the solution for the civil servant gold pension NGO regime? Import the population. This is what is going on.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Kyokushin Grappler

We've heard that when this "Refugee Crisis" started back in 2015. All the Virtue Signallers that offered their rooms or houses to house refugees back peddled really quick when it was time to practice what they preach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Juran

If I arrived in Germany on a flight from europe, UK, Ireland .. without a passport, I'd be sent back on the first plane.

How are so many getting in via Dublin airport with no passport ???

Advertisement