Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland running out of accommodation for Ukrainian refugees due to surge in non-Ukrainian refugees?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,136 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

So it's a plain fact of the matter that there is no more accommodation available in the country.

No it’s not a plain fact.

Roderic O’ Gorman has at various times said that accommodating everyone would be difficult, which it obviously is, and politicians will say a lot, which they often do, that doesn’t make it a fact. What IS a fact, is that there’s more nuance to providing accommodation than simply a numbers game. There’s the reality of determining who can accommodation be provided for and how can resources be put to best use in providing support for asylum seekers and refugees, both Ukrainian refugees and non-Ukrainian refugees, and to that end Roderic has said it would be difficult to provide accommodation for everyone who is entering the country -

The Government is under huge pressure to provide accommodation for tens of thousands of refugees from Ukraine as well as increased numbers of asylum seekers from elsewhere.

Mr O’Gorman said there were about 70,000 people from Ukraine in Ireland with the State providing accommodation for about 54,000 of those. There are also 19,000 international protection applicants being housed by the State.

He said efforts would be made to ensure accommodation would be provided for vulnerable people – giving the example of those bringing children. Mr O’Gorman added: “There is a real risk that those maybe travelling... as single adults won’t be accommodated over the next number of weeks.”

People would be offered food vouchers for meals “but we won’t be in a position to offer accommodation to everybody”.

The Government was said to be working on “some contingencies” and there is an expectation that some additional accommodation of varying sizes will come on stream towards the end of February.

The Government has worked with Ukrainian ambassador Larysa Gerasko to spread the message that if people were in a safe location in Ukraine, now was not the time to come to Ireland.

Mr O’Gorman said that some 15,000 people from Ukraine had found their own accommodation in Ireland. He said people who did not have their own arrangements “can’t be automatically guaranteed accommodation here at the moment... because of the pressure we’re under”.

https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/2023/01/22/minister-warns-of-real-risk-of-lack-of-housing-for-all-refugees-in-coming-weeks/

O’ Gorman has also made the point that the State needs to reduce its reliance on private accommodation for refugees and develop State-owned accommodation -

Minister O’Gorman is expected to outline the challenges facing the State on accommodation for International Protection applicants and those fleeing Ukraine. He will state his view that Ireland has done well in handling the 70,000 Ukrainian refugees who have arrived in Ireland.

However, Ministers will hear that the sourcing of accommodation is becoming increasingly difficult. There is an expectation that many hotels currently under contract with the Department of Children will revert to the tourism trade in March and April.

Minister O’Gorman is expected to tell his colleagues that he believes that the State needs to reduce its reliance on private providers and develop State-owned accommodation, increase community engagement and provide improved support for integration.

Tourism Minister Catherine Martin is expected to say that one of her main priorities for the new year is managing the sector, including accommodation spaces, supports for the sector and incoming visitor numbers.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/politics/roderic-ogorman-wants-develop-state-28925896?int_source=amp_continue_reading&int_medium=amp&int_campaign=continue_reading_button#amp-readmore-target

The alternatives to the States dependency on private accommodation, is providing State-owned accommodation. Government are about 10 years too late with that idea, but it’ll be interesting to see how it works out. It’s not going to be a short-term solution, that’s for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 palette

So in short, one minister has said its difficult to accommodate everyone.

Meanwhile, other politicians have flat out stated the observable truth: there is no more room.

This is observable by plonking people left right and centre across the country into the most unsuitable accommodation, such as schools and hotels, repurposed anything and everything.

The government have issued a travel advisory to would-be migrants not to come here as there is no accommodation.

So, you've got one guy saying something vague about difficulty, while the mountain of evidence is stacked on the other side: there is no more accommodation.

Further, you talking about ifs, maybes and buts as to pie in the sky ideas is yet further proof that there is no accommodation right now, and there won't be later.

Conclusion. There is no more available accommodation, as a matter of fact.

Right now. Not maybe tomorrow, or next month, or next year. Right now.

Draw a line under that fact

----------

Now, there is also the slight, slight problem of the housing crisis for irish people. You may have heard a whisper or two about it the last lifetime. Screw everyone else, let's try that for a change.

People have had it with this fiasco. Put a fork in it, it's done.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 palette

Directly related to the thread title of "running out of accommodation due to..." (which should be past tense, it HAS ran out), there appears to be much mention of the left, the right, the far left, the far right and these various factions impact on the topic.

This has nothing to do with political ideologies. It isn't a game of teams, or scoring points.

There is no further available accommodation in this country for anyone. Anyone.

The only two groups at play here are those who recognise this reality, and those who refuse to.

This isn't a game. This is, and I'm sure it's no exaggeration, an utter disaster unfolding in real time that will negatively impact this country and its people for a great many years. And that isn't including any worsening of the situation, which appears most likely.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,201 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The following posters are now threadbanned for ignoring all the previous warnings to stick to the topic

Nuts102

TomTomTim

JustTakeTheTrade

Miadhc

US3

lmimmfn

Annasopra

palette

zell12

Miadhc

Astartes

Subzero3

Mike Murdock

Hungry Burger

Post edited by Beasty on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,482 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Plenty of unused houses, but a a lot of them wouldn't be suitable.

1000+ have been pledged in the past 2 months, should help in a small way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,136 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I don't agree with your contention that the country has a large quantity of idle assets sitting waiting for people to live in them. You say that there are, but you might point us to where this vacant city is, because no one, not even government knows.

Well that’s not quite what I said, but it IS part of the reason why I said that there exists outside of Dublin a whole rest of the country that’s chronically underdeveloped, with plenty of room for as many people as we can take, but the issue is the administration of those resources, exemplified by the fact that Government UNDERSPEND (you read that right 😁) on housing in 2022, to the tune of €700 million -

https://www.thejournal.ie/housing-targets-budget-5939123-Dec2022/

The Government budgeted for it, the money was there, it just wasn’t spent! I’m not one either for going around pointing to vacant properties and suggesting people be accommodated in them because I understand that these properties if they’re not entirely uninhabitable, dilapidated and beyond the cost of economic feasibility to bring them up to standard, can actually be brought up to standard. There are currently 4,000 properties owned by local authorities which are being LET go into disrepair -

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/news/special-report-4000-properties-owned-by-councils-empty-in-a-housing-crisis-41244351.html

That was in 2022, this was in 2018, the problem isn’t new -

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/scandal-of-3600-council-homes-now-lying-empty-37443999.html

Instead of spending on bringing these properties up to spec, investing in education and schools and other local infrastructure and amenities, Government has continued to rely on, and prop up the private sector for at least the last decade - instead of providing habitable accommodation, they provide HAP schemes to pay subsidised rent to private landlords; instead of providing habitable accommodation, local authorities have relied on hotels and charity organisations to provide emergency accommodation, in order to maintain artificially inflated property values making ownership of property less affordable for a growing number of people.

If they roll over on that now and begin providing accommodation for refugees and asylum seekers and people who are regarded as homeless on housing waiting lists, the vast majority of the Irish electorate, who are homeowners with mortgages, will see the value of their properties depreciate which will basically tank the property market, which Ireland’s economic growth into the future is heavily reliant upon. It would be political suicide for Government to administer resources efficiently in that sense, even though it means crippling families living in poverty, which doesn’t just include Irish people, it includes immigrants, refugees, asylum seekers too. It’s in those Irish people’s interests to support refugees and asylum seekers, because they stand to benefit from the greater distribution of more resources to provide for people regardless of their immigration or citizenship status.

The councils find it difficult to spend the money on housing because there is a lack of interest from housing contractors in doing the work, on renovating "voids" as they are known, while they can get more money working elsewhere.

there is a shortage of builders, and in order to work for the councils, they must go through the tender process, many builders just couldn't be bothered. .The councils have to show they are getting value for money, and have to adhere to the EU tender regulations

I am not surprised the money allocated to housing is unspent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Has there been a statement from the Opposition and/or the Immigrant Council and the other NGO's with skin in the game yet?

If not I wonder why not. Are they afraid to say anything because they actually support the message being sent to would be IP seekers, or are they keeping their powder dry.

Honestly it is like a one party State. I know it isn't before anyone calls me something something, but I often wonder to myself why the whole lot of them (obviously for different reasons) sing from exactly the same immigrant hymn sheet, and the media doesn't question anything in depth either.

All people want is a voice in a democratic country. There is muzzling going on which isn't right such as a media that is unquestioning and the labelling of anyone anywhere who questions the policy as far right and racist.

Next we will see the upcoming protests reported as being infiltrated by hard right (not concerned communities without any other voice), and racist elements. I dunno, I get a bit worried sometimes and it's not about immigration - it is about the way we are being somewhat brainwashed. Well that's just me I suppose, but it's a valid enough view when you see the reportage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,664 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Drivetime interviewing some lad from Africa who just arrived today and he was whinging that he had nowhere to stay.

Well he is still near the airport so he can get a flight back tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭titan18

They should trump others and they do. Understandably there's no difference for an EU citizen but there is for others (hence why they don't get full welfare or can work). People here have paid taxes all their life and their parents have so deserve a return on that. Immigrants have not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,492 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

More people interviewed on the Hard Shoulder (a Zimbabwean man and Algerian family iirc) but added "a text in your fave football moments" to dilute down any reactions. All were sleeping rough although the family got somewhere for tonight. Don't think the govt will be thanked by those forced to sleep rough.

There should have been limits set and on reaching those limits a review as to whether to take more or pull down the shutters. Unfortunately the "ah shur god luv dems" cant imagine people being reduced to cold hard statistics...as cold and hard as the concrete and benches these people who were lured here under false pretences and being forced to sleep on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

The established media outlets are basically in bed with politicians and high ranking civil servants. Both those entities need huge numbers brought into the population in order to pay the taxes that end up in their salaries and will go towards their gold plated pensions. NGO's need this income stream too. This is why these huge numbers are being shipped in here. These entities don't give a damn there is no infrastructure to accommodate them, don't give a damn who they are, what they do. They just want them in, increase population, increase the tax takings. Younger indigenous Irish people can't accommodate their plan because young Irish people have been priced out of all markets, especially housing. No housing, no future indigenous population, the solution for the civil servant gold pension NGO regime? Import the population. This is what is going on.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Kyokushin Grappler

We've heard that when this "Refugee Crisis" started back in 2015. All the Virtue Signallers that offered their rooms or houses to house refugees back peddled really quick when it was time to practice what they preach.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Juran

If I arrived in Germany on a flight from europe, UK, Ireland .. without a passport, I'd be sent back on the first plane.

How are so many getting in via Dublin airport with no passport ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

I see the Irish refugee council are moaning on the news tonight.

The government funded refugee council I must add.

So the taxpayer is paying this quangoesque organisation to moan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭screamer

Getting on the flight with a passport, destroying it before landing and pleading international protection when they get to the immigration desks. I think if they destroy their passports I wonder what they’re hiding. I think the whole system is just a steaming pile of bullshite. Nice guys finish last and good little Ireland better get used to the wooden spoon, we’re ejits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

If you're an Irish citizen you're an Irish citizen, end of story. Doesn't matter if you grew up in a bog in Kerry ag canadh Gaeilge or to African parents in fortunestown. To suggest otherwise is more English than Irish.

Firstly. I am not virtue signalling about anything. How Could I be I am completely opposed to uncontrolled immigration.

No issue with people who come into the country by the legal route. They have skills the country needs, they get a job, pay tax and assimilate. I work with lots of different nationalities who have done exactly thst.

Illegal immigrants arrive with no papers. No background checks. No idea who they are. They are free to use any name they want and claim to be from any country they want.

Do they have skills this country needs? Some will. I suspect many won't. Contrary to what we have been told they are not Doctors lawyers Engineers. If they were they could have joined the queue and come in legally.

Is Ireland full? Geographically it is nowhere near as densely populated as it could be. But our services are under pressure. Do I as a taxpayer want to support hordes of young unskilled men who are not going to even be allowed work until their asylum claim has been assessed and then appealed 3 times? No I don't. Nor do I want to pay the legal fees for all of these appeals. I want a fair system where someone needs to enter the country legally not drift over from the UK because he doesn't fancy being put on a plane to Rwanda.

I am not alone in thinking this way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭baldbear

Was listening to Pat Kenny this morning and he was pointing out some figures.

1% of our population is now made up of Ukrainian refugees whilst Frances is 0.1%

He also said our asylum rejection rate is at 1 in 20 whilst the rest of Europe is about 60%.

We are a very accommodating nation compared to others but enough is enough. We haven't the resources.

It's sound to me some parties want an open border policy. Let everyone who just needs a visa. Forget the asylum process completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

O'Gorman explained that "we are suffering real shortages of accommodation for people arriving into the country" - as if the people already in the country are just fine. (Separately the Irish delegation indicated that a new "online safety commissioner" role will be appointed shortly, no doubt to help stamp out all that "misinformation".) That's the kind of grouping after which you'd go back to your hotel room, burn the clothes you were wearing and scrub yourself clean with very hot water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,565 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Leo says we can't guarantee accommodation for people who arrive to this country "unannounced".

Far right talk.

The Guardian ran a story a few weeks ago about people who took in Ukrainians but have now realised its for the long haul so have asked them to leave.

It's like Covid. Who ever thought it would drag on for 2 plus years. The expectation for offering refuge to Ukrainians was that these people would be living in your spare room for 6 months tops.

There's no accomodations left.

Hasn't been for months, tents, warehouses, office buildings, just about plastered over the situation this winter.

Nothing far right about calling a spade a spade here.

If you plan on arriving here find your own accomodations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,565 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Surely this will give support to the far right protestors who say there isn't any room here.

Leo adding flames to the fire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,664 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

He's reaping what he sowed, bet he regrets those tweets 2 years ago promising migrants free houses 4 months after their arrival.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

The politicians who are in charge have no interest in stopping this crisis...they created it, they have made it worse, they have thrown a generation of young people under a bus...they will however try to obfuscate and will get away with it, the "crisis" the politicians are are focused on is keeping political opposition to these barking mad policies quiet by any means necessary, the media will provide cover for them, like they always do! (remember the media didn't do it's job back in the Financial crisis either).

We are in for a turbulent decade in my view.

There is no accommodation. That's a fact.

Unless the government take over every hotel, guesthouse, mobile home park and glamping pod and cause untold damage to the tourism sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Kyokushin Grappler

Did they really think the conflict in Ukraine would be over that fast? Even without US and EU intervention it could still go on for years. They should have realised that this was going to be a long term commitment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,314 ✭✭✭emo72

All the talk of modular houses in February (next week) or March. 2000 houses. That won't even cover the people who are coming out of hotel accommodation. Never mind new arrivals. There will be tents and encampments on o connell street by summer. Utter. ****. **** show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,120 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Well, Father Peter McVerry says they should be building another 7000 or 10,000, especially as they can be built relatively quickly (under a year). It seems to be a recurring theme with this accommodation crisis : the Govt reacting very slowly or not strongly enough.

Advertisement