Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland running out of accommodation for Ukrainian refugees due to surge in non-Ukrainian refugees?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

I see the Irish refugee council are moaning on the news tonight.

The government funded refugee council I must add.

So the taxpayer is paying this quangoesque organisation to moan.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

Getting on the flight with a passport, destroying it before landing and pleading international protection when they get to the immigration desks. I think if they destroy their passports I wonder what they’re hiding. I think the whole system is just a steaming pile of bullshite. Nice guys finish last and good little Ireland better get used to the wooden spoon, we’re ejits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

If you're an Irish citizen you're an Irish citizen, end of story. Doesn't matter if you grew up in a bog in Kerry ag canadh Gaeilge or to African parents in fortunestown. To suggest otherwise is more English than Irish.

Firstly. I am not virtue signalling about anything. How Could I be I am completely opposed to uncontrolled immigration.

No issue with people who come into the country by the legal route. They have skills the country needs, they get a job, pay tax and assimilate. I work with lots of different nationalities who have done exactly thst.

Illegal immigrants arrive with no papers. No background checks. No idea who they are. They are free to use any name they want and claim to be from any country they want.

Do they have skills this country needs? Some will. I suspect many won't. Contrary to what we have been told they are not Doctors lawyers Engineers. If they were they could have joined the queue and come in legally.

Is Ireland full? Geographically it is nowhere near as densely populated as it could be. But our services are under pressure. Do I as a taxpayer want to support hordes of young unskilled men who are not going to even be allowed work until their asylum claim has been assessed and then appealed 3 times? No I don't. Nor do I want to pay the legal fees for all of these appeals. I want a fair system where someone needs to enter the country legally not drift over from the UK because he doesn't fancy being put on a plane to Rwanda.

I am not alone in thinking this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭baldbear

Was listening to Pat Kenny this morning and he was pointing out some figures.

1% of our population is now made up of Ukrainian refugees whilst Frances is 0.1%

He also said our asylum rejection rate is at 1 in 20 whilst the rest of Europe is about 60%.

We are a very accommodating nation compared to others but enough is enough. We haven't the resources.

It's sound to me some parties want an open border policy. Let everyone who just needs a visa. Forget the asylum process completely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

O'Gorman explained that "we are suffering real shortages of accommodation for people arriving into the country" - as if the people already in the country are just fine. (Separately the Irish delegation indicated that a new "online safety commissioner" role will be appointed shortly, no doubt to help stamp out all that "misinformation".) That's the kind of grouping after which you'd go back to your hotel room, burn the clothes you were wearing and scrub yourself clean with very hot water.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Leo says we can't guarantee accommodation for people who arrive to this country "unannounced".

Far right talk.

The Guardian ran a story a few weeks ago about people who took in Ukrainians but have now realised its for the long haul so have asked them to leave.

It's like Covid. Who ever thought it would drag on for 2 plus years. The expectation for offering refuge to Ukrainians was that these people would be living in your spare room for 6 months tops.

There's no accomodations left.

Hasn't been for months, tents, warehouses, office buildings, just about plastered over the situation this winter.

Nothing far right about calling a spade a spade here.

If you plan on arriving here find your own accomodations.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Surely this will give support to the far right protestors who say there isn't any room here.

Leo adding flames to the fire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,575 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

He's reaping what he sowed, bet he regrets those tweets 2 years ago promising migrants free houses 4 months after their arrival.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

The politicians who are in charge have no interest in stopping this crisis...they created it, they have made it worse, they have thrown a generation of young people under a bus...they will however try to obfuscate and will get away with it, the "crisis" the politicians are are focused on is keeping political opposition to these barking mad policies quiet by any means necessary, the media will provide cover for them, like they always do! (remember the media didn't do it's job back in the Financial crisis either).

We are in for a turbulent decade in my view.

There is no accommodation. That's a fact.

Unless the government take over every hotel, guesthouse, mobile home park and glamping pod and cause untold damage to the tourism sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Kyokushin Grappler

Did they really think the conflict in Ukraine would be over that fast? Even without US and EU intervention it could still go on for years. They should have realised that this was going to be a long term commitment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭emo72

All the talk of modular houses in February (next week) or March. 2000 houses. That won't even cover the people who are coming out of hotel accommodation. Never mind new arrivals. There will be tents and encampments on o connell street by summer. Utter. ****. **** show.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,832 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Well, Father Peter McVerry says they should be building another 7000 or 10,000, especially as they can be built relatively quickly (under a year). It seems to be a recurring theme with this accommodation crisis : the Govt reacting very slowly or not strongly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭emo72

There isn't any reaction the government can do that will help this situation. Government advice is to prepare for another 70,000 this year. We couldn't even hit last year's housing targets, and they are throwing the kitchen sink at it. We are sitting here dumbfounded wondering why are they doing this. It's f@#ked.

Modular homes could well be the way to go. They are not intended to permanent 'homes', but simply a form of temporary housing that can used over and over again by different people who need temporarily need a roof over their heads for six months or a year or whatever. Building 10,000 would definitely take pressure off the system, especially if they insisted on putting families only into them (i.e. it could take, say, 40,000 people out of the system very quickly).

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭keynes

Given that there is no room, the obvious and sensible thing to do is to refuse them entry (as in Denmark). By admitting them without accommodation and funds, the government is effectively forcing them into criminal activity. This seems inevitable, given that so many of these have already destroyed their documentation. Just when you think our lunatic government can't make things any worse, they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭keynes

I doubt he regrets any of this almighty mess. Just a few weeks ago (in full knowledge of the current accom situation), he said it was our imperative to prepare for future large-scale immigration arising from "climate change." These are the tone-deaf sentiments of a delusional and dangerous idealogue.

• Advertisement

Denmark is not refusing to accept asylum seekers - there is a whole load of misinformation about what is going on there.

What has happened is that they have been planning to deport Syrian refugees who were already in the country back to Syria or to Rwanda, but the numbers involved so far are very small and it is unclear if anyone has been deported at all. It's very similar to Suella Braverman's proposed Rwanda plan in the UK.

It's more that their parliament passed anti-refugee laws in 2021, rather than anything actually happening on the ground (yet).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,921 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I’m not surprised the money is going unspent either, not because of the lack of interest from builders, or labour shortages in the construction industry, or the fact that the reasons there is a lack of interest from builders is because of rising costs which they just don’t have the cash flow to be able to take on large projects and wait to be paid. None of that has anything to do with the fact that local authorities just don’t want to build. It’s not even a question of getting value for money because Government aren’t saving anything by missing their targeted projections for social housing. The money is there, it’s meant to be spent, but it’s not being spent -

“The DEPR report sets out in stark detail the impact of the underspend. Social Housing output is likely to be 28% below target with just 6500 of the promised 9000 new build social homes delivered.

“Affordable housing output is likely to be a staggering 78% short of the 4100 affordable homes promised. The DEPR report estimates that less than 1000 affordable homes were delivered last year.

“There is a direct link between the deepening housing crisis and the Minister for Housing's missed targets. People are homeless because the government is failing to meet its social housing targets. Rents and house prices are rising because the government is failing to meet its affordable housing targets.

“For the third year in a row, Darragh O’Brien has missed his public housing targets and failed to spend the capital allocated to him. The government's housing plan is not working. It is making the crisis worse. 

https://www.sinnfein.ie/contents/64952

You’re the epitome of virtue signalling by declaring that you have no issue with people coming into the country by the legal route. I could be a patronising smartarse and point out that’s very big of you to be ok with people who have every legal right to be here, but that would shoot a hole in your whole “Ireland is full” nonsense, because you clearly do have an issue with the fact that there are over 70,000 refugees from Ukraine who are legally entitled to be here, and another 19,000 asylum seekers who are legally entitled to be here, and the number of people who aren’t entitled to be here, ie - illegal immigrants, is about 20,000… and of those, they’re not entitled to anything, so they’re definitely not putting any pressure on housing or public services or anything else.

As for that whole idea of your being told illegal immigrants were all doctors and nurses, you didn’t believe that in the first place, you’re not stupid, and it doesn’t do your argument any favours pretending you’re that stupid that you have been the victim of deception. It isn’t even an argument.

You’re not supporting anyone, as a taxpayer or otherwise, that’s entirely the responsibility of the State, and you’ve already declared that you’re fine with people who are legally entitled to be here, so whatever point you’re now making about asylum seekers nullifies your earlier statement - asylum seekers are not illegal immigrants. They’re quite the opposite, because they’re making themselves known to the authorities. Illegal immigrants try and avoid detection by the authorities. It’s why asylum seekers have been granted permission to access the labour market in search of employment since 2018, contrary to your belief that you as a taxpayer are supporting them.

You’re not paying anyone’s legal fees either. What they’re doing is entirely legal, something I thought you were ok with, and it’s fair, because asylum seekers are entitled to appeal the decision to reject their application. It wouldn’t be a fair system if they weren’t. Course you’re not alone in wanting a fair system where people come here legally, I don’t see anyone arguing that people should be able to come here illegally, that’s an entirely different issue, and the authorities don’t want that situation as much as you or I don’t want it either because it means people are vulnerable to being exploited and abused and they have no means to seek protection or legal recourse because they’re not entitled to be here in the first place.

The more common terms for that sort of behaviour where illegal immigrants are exploited in various industries, are human trafficking and modern slavery -

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2022/sep/28/ireland-human-trafficking-council-of-europe-report

The consequences of the Labour Court’s decisions may prove extremely severe for non-EEA migrant employees without immigration permissions. The Labour Court’s decisions strongly suggest those employees without valid immigration permissions will be prevented from bringing employment rights claims through the statutory bodies set up to deal with such claims.

https://www.arthurcox.com/knowledge/labour-court-decides-that-migrant-workers-without-valid-immigration-permissions-cannot-bring-complaints-to-the-wrc-and-labour-court/

See? You’re not paying for anything, and the system is entirely fair, and illegal immigrants aren’t putting any pressure on anything, they aren’t entitled to the same employment rights as people who are entitled to be here. Illegal immigrants are not entitled to anything, essentially, which is why your whole argument about the 20,000 or so that are estimated to be here (because there is no way of knowing the actual number), just doesn’t have anything to do with the people who are entitled to be here, whether they’re Ukrainian refugees, or non-Ukrainian asylum seekers, or taxpayers (as if you can roll all taxpayers into one group either). According to yourself, you’re ok with them, even though you’re also complaining about you as a taxpayer have to support anyone else, even though there’s no truth whatsoever in that claim either. Ireland’s taxation system just doesn’t function like that -

A spokesperson for the Department of Finance, however, told TheJournal.ie that there is no plan to ringfence funding raised by the tax for initiatives targeted at reducing obesity in the Irish public.

The spokesperson said: “The Department of Health is responsible for developing an evaluation framework for the sugar tax, which will provide evidence on the efficacy of the tax from a public health perspective.

“Hypothecation (or the ring-fencing of taxes for specific and related purposes) is not a feature of the Irish tax system in general.

https://www.thejournal.ie/sugar-tax-revenue-5212076-Sep2020/

That’s the reason why an amnesty was offered to people who are here illegally, it wasn’t just to flush them out of hiding, it was to ensure they were given the opportunity to become citizens of Ireland and continue to contribute to the Irish economy while also having the same rights to be protected in employment and become legitimate taxpayers just like your good self, so that they too can enjoy the benefits of being an Irish citizen as recognised by the State in the same way as you and I already are, regardless of anyone else’s opinions that they’re not entitled to be here, opinions which have no foundation whatsoever in Irish law which they claim to care about so much.

Local authorities can't build any houses they only do a very small amount of refurbishment of houses themselves. Everything else is contracted out, they simply don't have the staff to do work.

There is a real desire to do more but they can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,327 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

More fool them.

People thought that little scrap in 1914 would be over by Xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭high_tower

so now there’s no accommodation and these visitors are just going to live on the streets and cause havoc. all the while more are flooding in. Unbelievable. I really don’t get why the government don’t just stop this - they’ve done it before effectively :

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/airport-operation-to-block-albanians-georgians-from-claiming-asylum-is-scaled-back-1.4175758

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

What baffles is that there doesn’t seem to be any heat on O’Gorman at all from the opposition and the media. Paschal is under pressure at the moment, Damien English had to resign his position a few weeks ago over failing to declare ownership of a house during an application for planning permission.... neither of these two incidents has had any impact any people’s day to day lives, burn O’Gorman’s actions will permanently change the structure and social fabric of this country.

Anyone with any sense at all could see that his tweets in various languages promising all kinds was pie in the sky nonsense, but it would still encourage wannabe economic migrants to come here, when we already had enough of a pull factor as it was. Now in a complete u-turn, they’re not even going to get a tent when they arrive, causing even more tension amongst the “refugee” class and encouraging them to turn to crime.

If you were already worried about these men, I’m sure you haven’t seen anything yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Richard571

The issue is not just the homes - it’s the supporting infrastructure around schools, doctors, etc that makes the building of vast amounts of modular houses unsustainable in the short term.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

A long winded. Nothing post. What a waste of time typing all that out.

You are throwing out figures 70,000 Ukrainians, 19,000 legal asylum seekers, 20,000 illegal asylum seekers.

What are your figures based on? There were 17,000 deemed eligible for the recent undocumented migrant amnesty here.

The truth is you, the state or anyone else simply don’t know how many illegal migrants are in the country. The border with Northern Ireland is completely porous.

You’re not supporting anyone, as a taxpayer or otherwise, that’s entirely the responsibility of the State

You then claim that there is no cost to the Irish taxpayer because sure the government pay for that. What utter baloney.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

I know of at least one local authority that is buying up large amounts of apartment blocks With the caveat that they be completed by mid year. That’s their plan for social housing in high density areas…. Should add these apartments are anything but cheap. I’m sure that they’ll have a downstream effect on homelessness and free up currently occupied accommodation for more refugees in those areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

In a referendum in 2004 80% of the Irish population voted otherwise.

Advertisement