Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC upgrade

Options
  • 26-01-2023 1:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭

I have an Alienware Aurora ALX R4 mATX case I'd like to upgrade to the latest hardware. Anybody have a clue what series RTX GPU would fit ???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Generally speaking, alienware are not designed with upgrading in mind.

What are the specs?

In terms of physically fitting a gpu, you will need to get out the measuring tape and see what capacity there is and then look at the physical dimensions of various cards. As a general rule, high-end nvidia cards have grown significantly in size in recent years, so highly unlikely you'll fit them.

I just did a quick Google - am I right in saying that this pc is approx 10 years old and only supports PCIe gen 2? If so, then you definitely shouldn't be upgrading the gpu to anything modern as it will be severely bottlenecked by the PCIe lanes (as well as the rest of the computer in general).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

If that's it, then like dotsman says, it's not worth the upgraded GPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I wouldn't go that far.

Sure it'll be bottlenecked, but reusing the machine until it dies isn't a bad option.

@STEE

You can get a RTX 3060 12GB for around 360 EUR, or a used RTX 2060 from CEX for 290EUR.

Do not make the mistake of ordering a RTX 3050 or RTX 3060 8GB - they are gimped cards being sold at stupid-high prices.

But won't the 3060 be severely limited between the PCIe gen 2 and the really old/weak CPU ram?

Ultimately, we won't know until the OP confirms the specs, but it is likely that the type of games the 3060/2060 were designed for won't run (well) on a 10 year old pc.

Then there is the issue of physical fit. Alienware are notorious for upgrades, with the case specifically built for the exact components that come with it. OP might get lucky, but there might not be enough room to literally fit in a modern gpu, so that needs to be checked as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I'm most interested in how a 120mm AIO is still holding up after a decade of use.

• Advertisement

But the problem with that link is that it may not necessarily be the spec that the OP has.

For example, in that link, it says the the R4 was first released in 2012, but then lists the GPU as a 1650 Super which was released 7 years later in 2019! From looking on the net, there seems to be a lot of confusion regarding the PCIe version. Possibly that the earliest models came with PCIe 2.0?

Here is another spec sheet for that computer. While it doesn't say what generation of PCIe (very suspicious), it only states a single PCI 16x slot whereas the link above states 2. So there definitely seems to be some variety with this model.

Hence we need the OP to confirm the specs.

In terms of the CPU, again, we are not clear as to whether is is a gen 3 or 4, but if you look at min requirements for popular games, you will find it a struggle. If you even take something like Warzone 2. While it will hopefully make the Min CPU requirements, you will note that, on the setup where they recomeend the 3060, they are matching that with an i7 8700 which is vastly more powerful that what the Op will have. If you look at Far Cry 6, it is unlikely that the CPU will allow for the min requirements (and even that is only 1080p 30fps on low settings!). Similary with Assassin's Creed Valhalla, Watch Dogs Legion (where you will see either a 2060 matched with an i5-8400 or a 2060 Super matched with an i7 - 9700!) etc, and all these games got releeased a few years ago.

Again, without know what the actual spec of the OP's PC (and what their expectations from an upgrade would be), it is impossible to say. bu typically, if 10 years old, all money is better spent on on new build than trying to flog a dead horse.

Finally, while the external chasis may be big, the internal space looks cramped (and remember, it is a micro atx board). For example, on this image - what is that black plastic covering? It completely covers the GPU ! - is it touching the GPU? Is there 5mm between the original GPU and it, or what? In this image (with black cover removed, besides the obvious cable nightmare, you will notice there is a bit of a gap between the back of the GPU (furthest away from the external ports) and another black plastic "thing". That hopefully means there is some spare room, but given the low res image and cable disaster, it is hard to guarantee that there is not some small piece of cable or the case or a "plastic thing" blocking a longer card. Therefore, the Op would need to open up and measure the space himself.

Agree with AIO comment!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

An RTX3060 will absolutely be bottlenecked hard in many newer games by a 2nd-4th gen i7.

In every game? Obviously not. But plenty of big games it would perform fairly poorly.

I personally would not bother without getting a better CPU first.

Even a basic modern i3-10100F for €80 easily beats the 4790K for example.

And that's assuming it's 4th gen, nevermind it could be an i7-2600 or 3770.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

lol, reading back again the OP says "to the latest hardware" not "just new graphics card" so it's possible they plan to do a lot more. Though I do suspect they wouldn't be asking here about the gpu then.

Assuming we've all been looking at the right machine it's LGA 2011 so no 4790K. It's sandy bridge or ivy bridge and from Dell there was one quad core cpu option and 4 hex core options, all supporting quad channel ram (up to 1866 by default) with the top possible cpu boosting by default to 4GHz with 15MB L3 cache (Vs 6MB on a 10100F).

Advertisement