Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone heard a real live (or dead) Banshee?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,551 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Joan Burton sounds like a Banshee

• That’s interesting, Dublin Northside banshees. Don’t think they inhabited the Southside at all

• Registered Users Posts: 24,062 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

In the old days, there wasn't much to do of a cold evening in Ireland, except to tell tall tales and drink death-defying amounts of home made rocket fuel.

That included the old women who make tea and keen at wakes.

All they heard, during those long nights by the fire, listening to the wind, were the shrieks of foxes and the howls of Grey Wolves and working dogs. Wolves were pretty common in Ireland until the turn of the 19th Century.

Not a ghostly portent of death, just animals communicating, same as I hear out in the fields and woods near my home several times a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,943 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

She had the Banshee effect on de Laybur Pardee

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭hayrabit

there's one or two of 'em in the audience at the Snooker Shootout on Eurosport2 atm; aint actually seen one yet tho 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭niallpatrick

1:55 minutes in, the true cry of the banshee forewarning of death (over a tatty bit of fabric)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-eSmCZA9xg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,176 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

When I was a child, there was an old woman in our road. She was obsessed with the banshee, fairies, puiseogs.

I spent quite a few nights afraid to go to sleep after her stories.

She claimed to have heard the banshee many a time. That along with fairies playing football in a field near my house!

I wouldn't walk past that field for ages.

Oh and fairy forts and sceach trees..she was obsessed with those too.

Oh crap..how will I sleep now 😒

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 9,780 ✭✭✭buried

That's mighty. You literally have a bone fide link to the most ancient of Irish folk tales that were told to you by someone who was passed down these things to pass the dark nights in the same sort of imaginational zone people used to entertain themselves before radio, cinema and television. You are very lucky, I would have loved to have some genuine local person tell me these tales when I was younger. You should pass down these stories yourself and keep that link going.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 14,025 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I always heard that it was only some families that could hear a banshee. Not everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Ah no. They KNEw the difference between critter cries and the real thing far far better than we do. And no traffic or planes etc. Dark forces exist but hate the LIGHT and fewer places are trulty DARK

• Registered Users Posts: 29,943 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Yes, they don't just wail at anybody.

But at this stage those families have been all over Ireland, so most of us probably have a drop or two of O'Neill or O'Leary etc

According to legend, the six noteworthy families of Ireland—the O’Neills, O’Donnells, O’Connors, O’Learys, O’Tools, and O’Connaghs—each had a female spirit who would act as the harbinger of death for their family. 

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Do they do the keening before or after the fighting?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

• Registered Users Posts: 9,023 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

There was footage of one recently looking for a John Rogers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,023 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Actually, about 20 years ago, when I moved to a rural location from Dublin, I heard a noise out the back one night. Opened the back door, and it was a blood curdling mix between a woman shrieking and a baby crying, echoing all around. I had never heard anything like it before. I called my wife (who grew up in a very rural location) and she laughed and told me it was a fox. From hearing that, I can completely understand how people would have come up with the myth of the Banshee.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,233 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I like hearing the old stories about Banshees wailing or combing their hair. I don’t believe for a moment that they really exist but if someone said they experienced it, I'd say 'tell me about it' rather than 'that's not real'.

Its a cool bit of Irish folklore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭raclle

Yup its more than likely foxes. They make a sound that would make the hairs on your neck stand

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭oceanman

• Registered Users Posts: 13,176 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

"Fables" not stories 😁

She had tales of headless horsemen and a man who sprouted a tail.

The thing is she actually believed these stories!

And when I was 7, so did I 😬

She was a little woman all crunched up with a shawl and stooped back. Just exactly as you'd expect to see at a West of Ireland wake keening in the corner 😆

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement

I was reading recently that they are bringing wolves back in the wild in parts of Ireland...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I know a woman from Carbury (very paranormal place in Kildare) who said she was driving home from work and she hit a woman that looked like a banshee. Fearing the worst, she got out to look and couldn't find a body anywhere.

I say that re few places being really dark advisedly! I am offshore and no street lighting and very few houses... One night I wandered outside with the dog and it was when I got a way up the drive that I realised I could see nothing. I mean NOTHING. Oh way over the water a house light, but around me a dark so deep it was disorienting. NOTHINGNESS... I knew there was a stream alongside the path so once my feet came to the bank I was able to creep back to the house. Sheer blind blackness How do blind folk manage..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,285 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

One night, many years ago, I heard some ear piercing screams coming from a field near the home house. It actually sounded really scary but I was too curious so I went down with a torch for a look. I found 2 large badgers locked together in a vicious fight. Both had their teeth and claws dug into each other. I ran away when I saw them. I never forgot that sound.

Nobody died.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,989 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I've read that too but I'd say there will be a zero chance of it actually happening. There's no way farmers for one wouldn't put up resistance. Then plenty of people who live in the countryside will have objections as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

I've read up on plenty of Banshee (Bean Sídhe or woman of the fairy mounds) lore over the years and I find the origins and the stories fascinating. Not only do many prominent Irish families have their own banshees but there are also high ranking banshees associated with certain areas, especially in Munster.

Aoibheal who is also revered in county Clare is a Banshee who has her domain at Craglea on the shores on Lough Derg. She was said to have visited Brian Ború at his fort before he headed off to the Battle of Clontarf and she fortold his death. She is rivals with Áine of Knockainey in Co.Limerick (Cnoc Áine in Co.Limerick) and Cliodhna of Carrigcleena (Cliodhna's Rock in Co.Cork) There's also the shrieking demon Aoife, who was the jealous wife of Lir who turned his children into swans. There's the war goddess Morrigan (Mór Ríogan meaning Great Queen) who has her domain at Owynagcat in Cruachan in Co.Roscommon. One of her aspect is known as Badb (or "Bow" as she's known as in the South East) She appears as a carrion crow on battlefields, and when she landed on Cúchullain's shoulder as he was tied to the pillar of Cnocnafearmór in Co.Dundalk in order to keep himself upright, then and only then did Cúchullain's enemies know that he was dead.

Anyway I hope that's enough banshee lore for ye 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Aren't some of those just members of the Tuatha de Dannan, I suppose Banshees are also remnants of them (like The Children of the Forest in Game of Thrones).

I'd be wary of families claiming Banshees, as far as I can see it comes down to people trying to attach their families to Irish mythology (and therefore the book of invasions) for legitimacy reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Every one of them are members of the Tuatha Dé Dannan, who retreated into the hills and mounds after their defeat by the Milesians (Supposedly the first Celts to arrive in Ireland). The clue is in the name Bean Sídhe (Woman of the fairy mounds) 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭spakman

Maybe that's what I heard.

I was out the back of the house on a very dark, still night. I was having a sneaky smoke when I was too young to be at that sort of thing.

Then this high pitch animal roar (not like a woman or baby as mentioned before) came from over the wall where there was a wood.

Thats when i understood the saying "it made my blood run cold".

I threw the fag away and sprinted back inside.

• Advertisement

Advertisement