Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar for Beginners [ask your questions here]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,316 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

@DC999 - "From what I read at the time, the inverters perform to a higher efficiency when they heavily ‘loaded’ from the panels. As in they are working hard."

This is incorrect. It seems a self-perpetuating tale based on efficiency curves from ancient inverters from around Jesus' time 😂

There is no point at all undersizing or oversizing an inverter as they now all hit at least 90% efficiency very early on, like 10-20% load typically.

@banie01 - you might as well use a 6kW hybrid inverter, they cost almost nothing more than a 3.6kW inverter. I'm not 100% sure of the impact on this on deemed export if your kwp panels is still way below the size of the inverter, someone else will tell you. But that said, there are no disadvantages getting the higher output inverter and it will give you more room to play with if you want to add a second string more panels, they can even be in a different aspect as the two MPPT input strings are independent.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭smax71

Not all installers subscribe to that view. I've been dealing with a crowd that's charging same amount per panel whether I install 8 or 20 panels, basically add €400 to quote for each additional panel. Wont budge even when challenged on it. Time to move on it seems.

Also I want to install a 5KWH battery but some installers suggesting best to install 2x2.5kwh batteries as it is easier to increase incrementally in future, ie if space or funds are tight at least you can go up to 7.5kwh instead of jumping straight to 10kwh as would be the case with a 5kwh battery. Personally would prefer to go with 5kwh battery and jump straight to 10kwh in a couple of years. Is there any disadvantage to installing 2.5kwh over 5kwh batteries?

Finally, I've a 2 story house and a couple of guys have said they wouldn't use scaffolding, actually stated they would never use scaffolding to install panels, so would need to charge extra for a cherry picker. Is is standard practice or simply a way of adding a few Bob to the installation costs?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

A cherry picker could be cheaper than a scaffolding.

Don't worry about the bits and pieces like that. The total amount you need to hand over is the important bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭smax71

Absolutely agree but the guy already seems quite expensive at €15k (before grant) for 6kwp system with 2x 2.5kwh battery and Eddie, so explicitly seeking another €400 for the cherry picker seems to be stretching things a bit. Especially when apparently he is charging €400 per panel for 15 panels (€6k) plus €2.5 for batteries totalling €8.5k leaving a fairly substantial €6.5k in the quote already for installation. I wouldn't take as much notice if he rolled the €400 into the price as it's an integral part of the installation cost.

Get another installer, he is ripping you off. Have a look in the quotes thread for reasonable quotes and try get an installer that others here have used that is reasonable and does a good job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭DC999

On the cost per panel, what I mean is you'll pay more a year down the line to get them out to add a few panels if you wanted more. They are onsite now so costs should be lower. And the way the market is now, you'd struggle to get them out to add a few more done the line. Sellers market at the moment as you're seeing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭Ginger83

That link only shows a screenshot. Do you have a link to the website?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭con747

• Registered Users Posts: 21,895 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Today's solar for dummies question.

Let's say I am buying CALB cells from PWOD. Which I intend to. And I set them up in 4 parallel banks of 16S, for 800AH. Do I need a BMS for each 16S battery, or will the one BMS do all four? If I need multiple, how do I connect it, on the negative paralel cable between each bank of 16 ? And if it's only one needed, which cells get the balance leads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭MacDanger

We're building a new house and the roof will be corrugated iron, anyone know if these are suitable for mounting solar panels on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,640 ✭✭✭micks_address

Grant payment received this morning. Was approved last Friday so pretty quick from seai

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

You can connect 4 cells in parallel with one BMS monitoring cable, if it comes to it we can do up a diagram but it's available on the Seplos instructions which Cormac posted here. Obviously the more cells you have in parallel the weaker the control would be becuase the BMS only sees it as one cell.

Seplos BMS - Page 4 — boards.ie - Now Ye're Talkin'

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Thanks, that's super super helpful, no need for a diagram etc I get the concept from your description. I couldnt understand before how you'd connect. So, it seems you can go to 16S4P on most BMS, whether thats the Seplos linked above or the Daly bms that Will Prowse seems to reccomend as the best cheaper option - just connecting 4 parallel cells and then paralleling them as 16, as opposed to groups of 16 and paralleling them as 4.

Sometimes I love this forum, ask what some may deem as a stupid/n00b question and don't get made fun of, instead someone usually knows the answer!

4 in parallel 16 in series but others can confirm, I think @graememk has this in operation with his 40kWh pack?

Oh, and you can use separate BMS for each 16 cells if you want but the jury is out on whether it's worthwhile with current BMS software

Daly BMS is pretty crap (been there myself was my first 16S on my very first lithium home built power wall, they have come a long way, but still considered inferior). And afaik can't talk to your inverter natively. Seplos BMS is more solid, but a nightmare to operate, no app, overly complicated settings and options, has a will of its own - not in a good way - and it can't balance cells (this really is a must unless you can either live with getting lower and lower capacity as the cells drift apart or are willing to disassemble your battery a few times per year, top balance the cells and re-assemble). It can natively talk to your inverter though. Is the latter what you need, @ELM327?

You should watch some of the Andreas ("Andy") videos, the off grid garage to get a much better understanding of what several BMS and balancers out there can do.

Personally I would like to use the JK BMS. It is very good, great app, very easy to understand and works perfectly (tested it myself too and can confirm). It also has 2A active balancing built in. Testing that right now on a dodgy 5kWh pre-made battery I picked up cheaply this week, LOL €200, LOL including working Seplos BMS clone. It does not have native SMA protocol comms via its CAN port though, but a few of us in here are looking into that, it's been done before by others to get it to talk to all the major inverters (Solis, Sofar, Deye, Victron, etc.)

Yes, I'm looking for something to work with my existing Solis inverter(s) until I can change it and replace with victron quattro. I'm basing my research and opinions on the threads here, Will Prowse, and the off grid family in the UK youtube channels.

Will was very positive about the Daly bms as being the best cheaper option.

Will works a lot with cheap batteries given to him for free or bought for peanuts. I doubt he would stick a Daly on €5k worth of cells.

Seriously, have a look at the off grid garage

I have mine in a 16s4p, one bms...

Need a lot of bus bars. 16 extra for every pack you put in parallel.

But I have went and got a neey balancer as amps are a lot faster than milliamps when balancing.

Turned all balancing off on the bms. It just monitors cell voltages and calculates SOC.

As for the JK bms, it looks good, and there is a esphome program/code for it to be "translated" into a CAN that the inverters can use.

I'm starting to dabble in it for @unkel I have it connected to my neey.

Will have a look at that channel too. I have no loyalty to "must use Daly" or anything, just want the best without spending loads. As you saw, I've made the noob mistakes and overpaid already, I dont want to do it again!

What BMS are you using? I'm seeing more and more that the PWOD cells and other sellers of CALB cells with good reputation are including the busbars and the wrapping tape and the other peripheries in the box too when you order. That neey balancer, I must investigate further, you're not the first on here to suggest and or use it

The zeva bms, it's no longer being commercially made, but all the stuff is open source.

The JK has a 2 amp balancer in it.

Yeah ask them for extra busbars, they might just throw them in. Each cell comes with a bus bar, to go 2p you need 16 extra, 3p 32 extra and 4p you need 48 extra bus bars.

• Advertisement

I asked PWOD to throw in the extra bus bars, they said no. Easily got on AMZ if you don't want to wait for AE

@ELM327 - you get a complete set of 4 busbars for free (plus 4 bolts, 4 nuts and 4 saucers) with every box of 4 cells

@slave1 - PWOD policy is to throw in one set of extra busbars for free per year per customer and only for customers who have already bought multiple sets of cells. Like me. So getting 2 free extra sets of 16 busbars from them in the next two deliveries.

The NEEY active balancer is excellent, but I really wouldn't want two sets of balance leads to my pack, so it would be better if we could get one BMS, that can talk to our inverters, that is great to use, with app and that can do active balancing. This has been done before with the JK BMS and if / when @graememk can get this to work for us, we will all have a low cost, super effective BMS, that can also handle 200A (needed for the likes of the 9kW Sunsynk 1ph hybrid that can charge / discharge at 190A)

@ELM327 - "Will have a look at that channel too."

You should do. He pretty much tests every BMS / balancer going and he does great experiments with batteries, pretty much all of it relevant for what we do. He also has an inquisitive mind, likes to find out stuff for himself and take measurements to prove or disprove a point. On top of it, he's a nice guy - I'm in the middle of an email conversation with him myself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

There is a can version B2A24S20P-CAN for examle, would that not talk to the inverter as is? Or it uses a non-standard protocol?

Doesn't talk to the inverter as is as it doesn't have native SMA protocol.

This will give you a better idea of what's at play and how it can be developed:

This will give a near perfect solution, a total setup for around €200 that has it all. CAN comms with all major inverters, 200A, bluetooth, easy user friendly self explanatory controls and a good app (no need for clumsy cable connections), active balancing. Temp control. Cheap compatible screen if you like. The lot. Seplos go home! 😂

I've used this to monitor the ZEVA,

If I grab another few of those, I have one in the box of bits, but I'd love to be able to monitor the canbus before sending off to anyone.

Esphome is fairly straightforward once it's setup, just need to also grab a 8P8C (rj 45) breakout board so can just plug straight into the inverter.. and not use the screw terminals.

There is also "faker" code to run on a another esp32, for testing

Oh @unkel what voltage is on the vbatt pin of the connector?

It could be powered by the bms!

This might be the bit that sends me over the DIY edge 🤣

Though you are still at the mercy of the dev who wrote the "translation" and that he/she didn't forget something but hey that's why we have Guinea pigs on that thread.

It can also just send stuff over BT to a BT proxy or similar https://github.com/fl4p/batmon-ha but if using esphome you already get all sensors anyway.

Keeping a close eye on it and @unkel 's setup, will try to move to a sunsynk this year for proper battery power.

That's the joy of open source, you can dig into it and fix it ..

Can you fix anything if your 40kwh pack goes to 0%? 😂

• Advertisement

It's LFP, it will be grand 😂 just charge it back up!

Advertisement