Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2021 Applicants - Merit List

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 spudboy1999

Did anyone get any information from the budget situation last night? Westminster had to push our budget so that there’s money to spend from now to the new financial year but not sure if anything will come from it?

I've heard nothing about it since the initial news article yesterday morning unfortunately. There is another policing board meeting at the start of Febuary so hopefully that sheds some light on current financial figures. I am honestly surprised at how long this recruitment freeze has been ongoing, with the amount of suspensions, sackings and registrations lately. Their numbers must be well down by now? Fed up waiting but not giving up hope yet lol 🙏

Aye their numbers are bound to be lower now, I see 50 recruits have left this year as well as those, who as you have said, have been sacked or have left. When we do get in (fingers crossed) it’ll be a difficult job with how low the numbers are, but will be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Starsky1

Sure will be 😀 counting down the days for the call 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭georgie1305

Judging by this news, I doubt any of us will get the call. On the verge of just giving up now.

• Advertisement

Absolutely ridiculous they released that before contacting us. Fuming.

Very very disappointing news. Our recruitment freeze will go on for years by the looks of it. “The force will shrink for the next 3 years”. Wouldn’t be surprised if they just cut this recruitment drive now to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭johnny990

Saw this earlier

Policing Board Chair Deirdre Toner responds to PSNI Resourcing release, read more below and here: https://www.psni.police.uk/latest-news/less-police-equals-less-policing

We have all been waiting 14 months now and spent a lot of time on the recruitment process.

They don't even have the courtsey to send us an email before the press release.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 marshall6

I think we have to accept that we are all now the backup plan in the unlikely event of funding coming from somewhere. We may well get an email soon telling us that our campaign has been cancelled

Shocking treatment by recruitment as usual with no information or clarity.

I seen this report from the Chief Constable earlier.

Chief Constable Simon Byrne said there would be no redundancies and recruitment would start to slow: "Historically we were taking 300 to 400 staff each year, that will now be in the 10s each year until either budget flattens out or people decide to give us more money.

"Our assessment is that every 100 officers we lose, it will take us a year to replace. If we get to the extreme, this could be a decade of damage."

If he is talking about recruiting <100 people per year we may just get the hint it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Fusk_Asker

I would of thought that recently passed legislation for high ranking civil servants to allocate funding would of been promising news for us... saddening news

• Registered Users Posts: 46 new2022scs

I had myself convinced that 12 months from now I'd be in training as a worst case scenario....devastated at this news, I wish they would let us know if they are scrapping the campaign, do you think an email will arrive on the back of this?

If I had to hazard a guess its possibly something they're currently discussing

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭mse2020

The more i think about it the more i think that this is just a way to get more funding, the chief stated that there will be no redundancies which means it could be officers retiring or taking move to a staff roll. I think that recruitment will continue at a slower rate like they did at the start of last year but only time will tell hopefully we get some news next week

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Lockie101

Don’t get the chance to get on here a lot, hey to anyone who remembers me from previous years/campaigns!

Another long slog with a lot of time ahead of us by the looks of it and I’m hearing of a lot of people voluntarily withdrawing from the process, presumably due to the amount of time! They won’t bin the campaign, with the amount of money they have spent to get us to this stage they can’t justify wasting that amount with the amount of budget issues they are having, they will just retain the merit list for as long as they need to and pick it back up again when the budget allows. Especially since they have already paid (presumably an insane amount) to Deloitte to get us through their stages, the in-house stages to come will be the cheapest to get us through and then hold us in the final waiting room for the call for GV for ages again.

Yes it’s a pain, yes it’s kind of a mess but it’s not the PSNI’s fault and I’m sure they are tearing their hair out just as much as we are.

Hang in tight and wait it out, it’ll come at some stage.

Happy Saturday!

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭NeeNaw21

For reference police officer's cannot be made redundant.

https://hansard.parliament.uk/commons/2010-10-20/debates/10102049000001/PoliceTermsAndConditionsOfService(Redundancy)

Redundancies can only apply to Police civilian staff who fall under NICS terms and conditions.

Only pointing out as the redundancy question is not relevent to police officers

This recruitment issue isn't solely down to recent events.

This is a snowball caused by the recruitment freezes 10 or so years ago and the other austerity cuts.

Policing is always seen as the low hanging fruit. And sadly it eill be the public that suffers.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭NeeNaw21

You guys that are in the 2021 campaign and are not tied down to Northern Ireland and are really wanting a career in policing I would consider going across the water.

Not instead of the PSNI but more of a waiting room that pays you.

31 GB forces are currently recruiting.

And some still run the IPLDP process, i.e. you don't need a degree nor will you be required to do one.

There would be benefits, for when you eventually get the call to come to Garnerville

Main benefits i'll list but some would require you not to have a break in service(i.e. yor officially resignation date to GB force is immediately prior to Joining PSNI)

1. You will most likely not have to serve a full probation if you have completed your probation in GB (no break in service)

2. You will keep your pay scale, i.e. go throughlh Garnerville on the same pay you had in GB plus NITA.

3. your pension will carry like for like.

4. At it's bare basics policing is the same no matter where you go. Each area has it's own idiosyncracies but it's broadly similar. Your job is people and managing risk. Talking to people, listening to people, working with people.

5. GB forces cannot laterally transfer into PSNI but if you go to GB, come to NI police here amd it's not for you then you can just lateral transfer back to GB.

This makes sense. A much more optimistic view of the situation and in many ways realistic. With money such an issue it wouldn't make sense wasting more on ditching the campaign. Just a shame quite a few will drop out in the meantime... but reduce the time for those that stay at least 😅

• Advertisement

Hopefully the Budget will sort itself out. Psni have spent a lot of money on our recruitment campaign so prob will not scrap it. Just us the existing merit list when funding is there.

We have nothing to loose to keep our application open and still look out for another suitable job. If we finally get the call we can decide then what to do.

Does anyone know when they say they aren’t recruiting for the year, are they referring to the financial year or calendar year?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭mse2020

Financial year, i asked recruitment montha ago and they confirmed. Financial year 2022/2023 ends march 31st

Not 100% sure but I'd hope it's the financial year. Couldn't imagine having to wait another year 😂

Yeah, me too hoping it’s the financial year. Fingers crossed they get the money for more boots on the ground……soon

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭georgie1305

It is financial year.

I've found the news love to dramatise things and they use very clever wording for effect.

I take most of it with a pinch of salt tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Blueandtwo1320

For those that missed the NIPB meeting today, not much mentioned in term of budget or recruitment other than the current budgetary position still looks bleak.

There was, however, update on starting salary for new recruits, it's still subject to final approval, but from April this year, plans for recruits will start on 1b (£24,780 +NITA) , rather than 1a (£21,441 +NITA)

That's some good news at least for people hoping to start come the new financial year. 🤞

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭crazyfire999

Police pay was sorted today :)

Increase should be in payslips at the end of the month!

backdated to September also!

Some good news :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭crazyfire999

Included increments also !

…things will get better !

Keep the faith!

Advertisement