Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Before RTE Two was launched, I believe the government briefly considered retransmitting BBC One nationwide, which would have given an entirely different meaning to the phrase "two-channel land"!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭RoTelly

technically it was Radio 3, RnaG was set up in 1972, while Radio 2 started in 1979. Wouldn't say much of the working practices have changed much since :)

@An Ciarraioch one of 3 options, a new RTÉ Channel, a commercial service and/or BBC One NI.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭deezell

Yes, there were 3 options, Auntie Beeb, independent or 2nd RTE TV channel. RTE 1 was almost entirely on VHF at the time, and the 405 line versions on the same VHF bands were all discontinued bar a few relays in Donegal. The cost of UHF transmission was prohibitive back then, but they came up with a brilliant engineering solution to reuse VHF channels on transmitters well distant from each other. By changing polarity and offsetting the channel frequency by a precision amount, you could have two channels on channel H say, with a very high level of separation from interference, most of the time. E.g, RTE 2 went out on ch. H in Maghera Co. Clare, which was the same channel for RTE1 from Kippure for the greater Dublin and North Leinster area. As an historic footnote, also on the same band for years from 1959 was the 405 line UTV service which could be received clearly in the south until the RTE 625 line transmissions began, whence the vision frequency of RTE 1 from Kippure clashed with the sound carrier frequency of UTV, effectively censoring UTV all the way up to the border. Deliberate? Who knows.

Again, it's hard to believe how few people listened to radio on VHF, more popularly known as FM back then, so TnaG was very much a local Medium Wave event when launched in '72 as households and car listeners mostly tuned into AM transmissions. (who even had a car radio in 72?). RTE Radio 2 went out on AM nationally from the old Athlone medium wave transmitter until 2004, so it had mostly nationwide cover on AM in '79 when Larry launched it that day with the Boomtown rats. I was in the actual studio beside him by chance, called over to fix one of the cartridge machines used for the ads and stings, which decided to go on the blink a few minutes before the launch. My only claim to fame, but wisely used to impress girls at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Looks like Virgin won't show Coronation Street tomorrow at 9pm as ITV1 and keep it until usual Friday 8pm slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Maz2016

The channel “Challenge” is coming to Saorview on February 1st. We will have even more choice for watching The Chase. Sarcastic yay

https://rxtvinfo.com/2023/challenge-to-launch-on-saorview/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Mickey Mike

More rubbish

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Not sure what that has to do with VMTV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Maz2016

I was referencing to the amount of times the Chase is on VM and maybe they might reduce the amount of episodes now

I fear that is wishful thinking tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Virgin Media currently has rights to Series 13 & Series 14 of The Chase. S11 and S12 stopped on VM on the 30th Oct 2022.

Looks like Challenge have Series 3, 4, 6, 7, 9, 11 this week, so probably all series' between 1-11/12?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

That Challenge is coming to Saorview? There's a test card saying it's launching on Feb 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Mickey Mike

TG4+1 and Cula4 is supposed to launch this year as well, but Virgin Media have the platform filled with their 4 SD channels and now with trash of Sky news and Challenge TV which we can already get on FTA satellite.

I'd say there's a bit more room (even a couple of Mbit) in Mux 2 to squeeze in a couple of sub sd channels. +1 channels get by on 1.5, that might even fit in Mux1. Video band currently only 70% of Mux2. Its interesting to note that the VM offerings have a relatively high bitrate despite their low image res. This link is in the 2rn.ie site. They may even fire up a whole new mux, they have the carriers.

https://www.digitalbitrate.com/dtv.php?lang=en&liste=1&live=15&mux=PSB-MUX-2-THREE-ROCK&nav=mux

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Post deleted. The language used in it is completely unacceptable.

Except we all got the first 2-3 sentences in email notification. So I'm going to look at the 6 o'clock show on player to see what the fuss was about, and who the vagrant was.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,332 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

You mean there was actually something interesting on the 6 o'clock show?

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TAFKAlawhec

Off-topic, but on the claim that Telefis Eireann's 625 line transmissions were essentially "jamming" Ulster TV south of the border - TÉ at the time broadcast its 625 line service on channel IH with a vision frequency of 207.25 MHz & audio frequency of 213.25 MHz. Ulster TV from Black Mountain broadcast on channel B9 with a vision frequency of 194.75 MHz & audio on 191.25 MHz. Also for reference, TÉ 405 Line at Kippure was on channel B7 (Vision 184.75 MHz, Audio 181.25 MHz). Since there was a 16 MHz separation between TÉ's 625 line vision carrier & UTV's 405 line audio carrier, there was no deliberate jamming in place. Besides, radio waves do not stop at political borders - Kippure even back then could penetrate well into southern parts of counties Armagh & Down and have reception pockets even further north, causing co-channel interference to UTV within NI would have been diplomatically unacceptable (The GDR authorities once considered jamming reception within the state of the ARD & ZDF TV stations in their territory, but they decided in the end not to as it would have been technically impossible to do this without affecting reception of the same stations in parts of West Germany).

My apologies for my faulty memory. It was of course Mount Leinster Vision Carrier on 191.25 or thereabouts, ch F, which blocked the audio from UTV 405 line transmission sound carrier, also on 191.25, and not Kippure.

As kids we'd be watching cartoons or who knows what on UTV Saturday evening, RTE would come on the air and UTV sound would immediately become a massive buzz. Many years later in college I asked an engineering lecturer what had caused this at the time, and he gave me the 405/625 vhf spectrum chart, showing the overlap between the two channels. That was 50 years ago, 625 line UTV from Divis had been on the air from 1970 I think, prompting the appearance of hugh height masts all over North Leinster to capture the high quality but elusive UHF broadcasts, and ending the battle of the carriers.

Installed the Virgin Media Player on my Apple TV set top box and was pleasantly surprised to see that the live streams of VM1, 2 and 3 appear to be in HD. VM4 is not available. Using the VM player that's on my Sony Android TV and the streams are SD only. Again VM4 is not live streamed.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

It’s not on the iOS app either. As far as the app is concerned VM Four does not exist. Neither does VM More, but that is explicitly a pay TV channel whereas Four is meant to be FTA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,332 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Surprisingly interesting programmes (for me anyway) on VM4 from 8pm onwards tonight.

I wonder are they jiggling their schedule around a bit or did they just pick them out of the hat.

Excellent find! Confirmed on my own mostly unused Apple TV box. Sony TV couldn't show the resolution at the HDMI port for some reason, but it was clearly higher than the 510 horizontal of the TV tuner. This is major, VM1 have Saturday's 6 nations match, it's always Hobsons choice to watch it there and enjoy the very good VM rugby commentary and endure the poor picture, or watch the excellent true HD from BBC satellite, and endure the patronising commentary and the Welsh pundits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭iseegirls

No patterns or structure to VM4's schedule. I wouldn't be surprised if it's just computer automated schedule at times. Lot of replay of sports in January, now it's back into the gameshows (Moneyball, Tipping Point Celeb, 5-Star Family Fortune), along with reality/fly on wall shows (Storage Hoarders, Deal Makers, Vet School, Paramedics) in Feb.

Still don't believe there are listings anywhere in any newspapers, RTE Guide or online, apart from Virgin Media's website and on screen guides.

It's probably run by an AI.

At least we can now avoid the utter Grotvision that is SD on Saorview when watching VM on the platform! Plus don't have to fork out €38 or so a month to Sky for it either.

I'm a bit baffled why VM are using that sub SD horizontal resolution of only 544 pixels. SKY News and RTE News Now at least have proper full SD of 704 pixels or thereabouts. VM are using the same bitrate or even a bit higher for their content than these SD channels, averaging 2.6 Mbs. The other Sub SD channels, Rte1+1 and Rte2+1, Junior etc only average 1.3-1.4 Mbs. The improved bit rate on the low res VM channels is a noticeable improvement, it wouldn't cost them surely to submit a normal resolution image in SD, or maybe they prefer it that way to leverage their own HD cable channels and the Sky paywall HD ones also.

Yes, it was quite noticeable when RTE News Now went from 'hobbled' SD to full SD. Graphics & wording became a fair bit sharper compared to the old resolution.

Hobbled! As in the picture drags its arse from left to right, tripping over those huge low res pixels! When RTE showed the women's world cup playoff on RTE News now, as there was other stuff on Rte2, the picture was great. That and the URC now on HD TG4, VM really need to do something about their Saorview. Note also that all BBC satellite channels are going full HD, SD versions being turned off soon.

Awesome. 6 nations in HD from the ageing Apple TV box, and the u20s match last night on VM2. I wonder why the HD not available on Smart TV VM player apps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

A bit off topic but what the hell resolution is this Saorview version of Challenge? Literally could not read the questions at the bottom of the screen when I flicked over to an episode of The Chase the other night on my big tv, flick over to it on the satbox and its borderline HD. What year will it be before Saorview do something about this? Its embarrassing. Not that we needed another channel showing The Chase though.

Advertisement