Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enoch Burke turns up to school again despite sacking - read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,204 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

That's what I was wondering. For many people this would be a good way of dealing with it. But he lives with mammy and probably doesn't have many assets. Sure they could take part of his dole but that's about it. And then they're straight back to having to put him in jail again.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

He probably has no assets. He doesn't seem to have a house or a car. Unless he has a pile of savings or paper investments in his own name, the fine can't be enforced. I'd have thought they're smart enough to make sure he's already impoverished, to avoid liability for the school's legal costs to date.

• But he has a salary while he’s still on the teachers council register no?

I think it’s foolish to imagine the court won’t eventually get their way.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,607 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'm sure from the judiciary side of things, given how public the case has been and will continue to be, they're just trying to do everything perfectly with no chance of comeback or legitimate argument from the Burkes. So regardless of how few assets Burke has, a fine was probably just the next step they're supposed to enforce on him, if for no other reason than to act as an incentive for him to purge his contempt and stop showing up at the school.

If he can't pay, then they likely take whatever the next step is, which I assume will be some sort of public order not to show up at the school or be instantly arrested and jailed.

I'm not a lawyer or anything, so the above is just all guesswork and assumptions.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Whilst putting him in jail for contempt at least removes him from the school and prevents all that disruption it's not an actual solution.

He can't just be kept in jail for an indefinite period.

For me, I think the pathway is probably something like this

Look for the €700/day , if he somehow manages to pay that and keeps turning up to the school then start increasing the fine - Double it every day until he can no longer pay it or whatever.

If he stops paying (or never starts) and won't stop going to the school then jail him for contempt.

In the background get the Trespass/Public order offence from the other day into court ASAP and jail him for the maximum sentence allowed for that offence.

At least then he has been convicted of an offence and his jail term has a defined end-point.

If he gets released and goes back to the school , just lift him and charge him again.

No more injunctions etc. just criminal charges from now on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Just wondered, let's say he acts the blx and the only recourse left is to jail him.... can an injunction be sought to prevent him or his family commenting to the media, or indeed the media reporting on it until he purges contempt?

Seems to me it's the publicity that is the driving force now, and if that is removed well what's left?

I am sure "free speech" will mean that he and the family cannot be prevented from using his (possible) incarceration for publicity, but I don't know.

• Worth keeping in mind as well at all times remember Enoch has free legal aid from his sister. I imagine he’s been advised by her on all of these matters and what to do/not to do.

He's not getting paid now that he has been dismissed from his post.

The Court may well eventually get their way, but it won't be through fines.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,507 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I see Daddy took him to school again this morning.

How embarrassing for him at this stage.

• I don’t think they care about the fines anyway it’s just another thing to hopefully discourage his attendance.

I wouldn’t be so quick to assume Burke is on the poverty line either or running to the dole office. I’ve never known a court to impose a fine that couldn’t be paid so I suspect the court has some idea of how much money Burke has.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,746 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

"I don’t think they care about the fines"

He'll be after you next if you keep calling him they 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

not a great advertisement for her as a solicitor if true.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,009 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Yeah, but all the advice she gave herself didn't save her from dismissal from Arthur Cox, so she doesn't have the best track record. The WRC threw our her case because she couldn't even follow the simple process. Enoch might be better off getting legal advice from ChatGPT.

That's the thing. Her case might have had some merit but we'll never know because they threw a wobbler.

The Court has no idea of his personal assets. Unless and until they ask for a statement of means, which would come up in a legal aid application or an order enforcing payment of the fines or other debts, they will have no idea of his assets.

The Burkes aren't foolish, and will have made sure that he has minimal assets before the Court proceedings.

• I slightly disagree tbh

I mean obviously his behaviour is lunacy but all the same he’s managed to avoid much garda attention overall. It would appear to me at the very least Ammi is presumably rightly informing him how not to get arrested and jailed.

Basically Burke has something most people don’t have which is a solicitor who can advise you on how to break the law/court orders/etc and basically get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Read up on her (and the mother's, of course) carry on during her WRC hearing and you'll get an idea of her courtroom approach. Iirc, she represented herself.

The cynic in me wonders if the family steered the children into specific careers in order to serve their own interests. There's a teacher, a lawyer, one who claimed to be a journalist. It's extremely helpful to have a free lawyer who also agrees with your beliefs, especially in the case of such a litigious family.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Go read up on it like everyone else if you are interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Eunoch Burke still headlining RTE i see.......

Get the lot of the Burkes onto the Late Late Show if you are so obsessed with them....

Not a chance that will happen with Tubridy there, he is simply not capable of conducting an interview unless its fawning over a Z lister or spouting misery.....

Back in Gay Byrnes time, they would have been given a platform to air their beliefs while others could shoot them down....it made for engaging television....

Not the same aul tripe Turgidy throttles out every week.....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The one who claimed to be a "journalist" said they worked for a paper that doesn't exist so they could blag their way into an event so they could shout the odds at Tony Holohan about Covid.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

It does not matter where it puts it, it is his money. And deliberately trying to evade a fine will end up in a whole other heap of legal trouble for him.

• For the record I’m not trying to claim Ammi Burke is a level headed solicitor (or even a good one) what I’m saying is she is trained in law and can advise Burke on how far he can take this while staying out of prison (meaning a custodial sentence not contempt of court and the ability to walk free at his leisure basically).

Im aware of her antics at Arthur Cox and I’m not saying she’s advising him on keeping the job, literally just how far he can take things without severe consequences (prison time or whatever).

• Registered Users Posts: 68,664 ✭✭✭✭L1011

His parents will have to pay tax on anything above their group B CAT threshold if that was claimed.

She worked at a large firm and had good reviews. If it wasn't for her antic she'd still have a job. So it depends on how we define being good at her job.

You're not thinking like a Burke Jim.

Imagine say Enoch was paid on the 26th of each month and that money was transferred for the benefit of all his family on the 27th of each month with Enoch being given an amount back for spending money and that has been going on each month since he started working.

That money is gone.

If it was sitting in a current account and he transferred a lump last week it would be different but I doubt he was that independent.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

that did not work too well for him the other day. he has possible criminal charges pending as well. and if her advice is to keep ignoring the court order then that is terrible advice as well. Also, her own behaviour during the hearing regarding her appeal against her WRC decision shows she is lacking in practical experience.

• Confused why people think the Burke family are going to play 500 IQ strats and bury their assets or whatever else to try and get around paying?

Have they used any sneaky tricks in any of this? From what I’ve seen they just put their fingers in their ears and yelled LALALALALA when ordered to do something.

I don’t suspect the fines will be any different.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Eldudeson

To people asking why the media don't ignore the story, this is post 2974 on this thread. The nation is gripped and so is boards.

I find myself checking this thread every morning around 9:30 to see if he's turned up yet 😂.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Caquas

Very true. Gaybo would have had them on the Late Late and for a simple reason - they would attract viewers. Gaybo was all about the ratings. He had A-list guests which made his show essential viewing. Hard to believe now when Tubs is always scraping the barrel with reality-show nobodies. When was the last time you heard someone start a conversation with "did you see yer man/wan on the Late Late"?

But Gaybo also knew how to handle people like the Burkes. Give them enough rope. Move the discussion from their grievances onto their values and goals. Then let the audience (hand-picked, of course) pick them apart while Gaybo held the ring.

Is there anyone in the Irish media willing to take on the Burkes directly?

• Advertisement

Good point.

I'm sure they would argue the small gift exemption by the (number of parents plus siblings) would apply by nominally giving it to everyone.

I guess the onus then would be on him to reconcile and prove that.

If others in the family were doing the same it could trip them up.

'They say unto him, Caesar's. Then saith he unto them, Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's.'

Matthew 22:21

Advertisement