Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukraine (Mod Note & Threadbanned Users in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

It's not as simple as the English speaking media are making out. Domestically this was far more nuanced believe me. I am a dual Irish/German citizen living in the former GDR where attitudes towards Russia are much more benign than elsewhere. There are a lot of rose tinted glasses worn around these parts. Support for any weapons to the Ukraine is not by any means universal. Germany has not exported any weapons to war zones since WWII. Many of the protesters in Berlin that you see on TV are actually Ukrainians, though of course very many Germans support the move, but support is not universal. The Chancellor said so in his speech to the Bundestag yesterday and he is stating fact. I watched the extended Tagestehemen on TV last night and a majority of people they asked in Leipzig had concerns about what they perceive as escalation. The Panzer has a particular meaning in German history. It was the linchpin of Blitzkrieg and all the devastation that followed.

Scholz has been working in the background trying to get the Americans to stay in lockstep and in hindsight I am glad he did, even if it was a frustrating couple of weeks. I do believe that main battle tanks are appropriate and believe that more support is required, also from traditionally neutral countries like Ireland. That should include lethal weaponry or funds to purchase same, to be used in the self defence of their country. I do not think it's acceptable to say "but we're neutral" and then expect other countries to stick their necks out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I have been wondering about supply: let's say Ukraine is getting what was it, 80 tanks? What happens when losses are suffered and that number goes down; I've been thinking if there might be provision for Germany & pals to send more Leopards, LeClercs or Abrams - or is this a once-off deal? Obvosuly in all other facets Ukraine has been getting a steady supply of ammunition and equipment to keep the fight going, so I presume the same will apply with the heavy tanks.

Sounds like it might also be a demographic issue: would I be right in saying the older people are those more leery of interventionism than the younger, and those for whom even COmmunism is a distant memory?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,424 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

IN Blitzkrieg times, this would have been a Panzer, a Marder IFV. Look at pictures of a Panzer 1 or Panzer 2 in comparison.

Germany had already agreed to provide these.

Germany put themselves in this position also by being a major weapons exporter. Also worth mentioning Germany has exported weapons to Russia post Crimean invasion which in all likelihood are being used against Ukraine in the warzone.

Germany is in NATO.

Ireland is neutral, we're not a major weapons exporter, that's why we're not sticking out necks out wrt lethal aid.

The Germans let themselves be sucked in and manipulated by Russian propaganda cues into making the tanks a bigger deal than they are.

Also, having 'concerns' doesn't necessarily mean they think the weapons shouldn't be sent.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

It's expected to be multiple waves of vehicles provided; hence 80 tanks (2 battalions) in the initial wave with training during February and on the battle field by end of March to stop the expected Russian assault. The Abrams will take longer but most likely summer I'd guess för those to arrive and trained and combined with a second wave of Leopards basically which would give the counter punch for Ukraine.

Yeah we are in this for the long haul now aren't we. I cannot see this being a once off thing. The whole EU including the neutral countries will be expected to pay into a fund to buy new tanks for Ukraine as they are lost. To be honest the people interviewed seemed to be a mix of ages and sentiments, but the more common sentiment was of great apprehension, at least on the streets of Leipzig. There were also younger people wondering would they end up being sent to the Polish border in a NATO force if things escalate.

The war feels closer here I suppose. We are in NATO and physically closer to the conflict than the UK and Ireland.

One thing is for sure. The ca. 70 tanks guaranteed so far is nowhere near enough to actually win the war. It's just a taboo that has been broken.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The whole EU including the neutral countries will be expected to pay into a fund to buy new tanks for Ukraine as they are lost.

No they won't. The EU are not going to have anything to do with this.

The EU will however be providing significant economic support, you can view that as ultimately paying for the tanks if you so wish.

Now now, let's not misrepresent things!

Some German companies exported some dual use technologies like electronic components, chemicals etc. that could be used in the manufacture of weapons, theoretically. German companies are however not known to have exported any actual finished weapons to Russia since the EU sanctions over Crimea were introduced. There's a massive difference.

As for the tanks not being a big deal, well they are. If they weren't and it was just ze Germans being awkward, the US, UK and France would have already delivered main battle tanks to Ukraine but they have not (yet). The UK announcement was not months ago. It was like two weeks ago. This is a marked escalation in NATO support. If it wasn't, there wouldn't be such a big deal about them on the Ukrainian side either. It's not that long ago that the west was claiming no tanks would be sent to Ukraine, remember?

This seems like finished products to me. But my main point was that if they were so concerned about their weapons exports they should not have set themselves up as a major weapons supplier.

The most appropriate tank for Ukraine is the Leopard. Tanks weren't sent earlier because of the complexity of training, logistics for other tanks and this false fear of 'escalation'. And by false fear there I mean in terms of attacks on NATO countries. I think that now they see Putin has escalated as much as he can in terms of civilian attacks on Ukraine.

Your article refers to local (German) media but does not quote it. It presumably refers to this article or others similar to it, that appeared a few days before your linked Turkish piece. It goes into much greater detail and does not mention anything other than possible dual use materials, it does not mention any exports of finished weaponry.

I actually agree that the fear of escalation was (probably) false but not unfounded. In the early days of the war people were wondering had Putin lost his marbles so a nuclear strike could not be ruled out.

I know that having a go at the Germans is a bit of a past time in some quarters but Germany has spent billions in and on Ukraine. Not just weapons but the humanitarian aid both in Ukraine and provided to Ukrainian refugees here has been on a vast scale. It's not really fair to make out like Germany isn't pulling its weight as I have been reading in some social media and even some of the professional media.

It's not so much about 'pulling its weight', or social media or professional media.

We've had actions like the leaders of the Baltic states publicly coming out and implicitly criticising German leadership on this crisis.

Do you think this crisis has resulted in Washington leadership having a more or less favourable view of German leadership?

Or Poland?

They've had to be dragged kicking and screaming by their allies to this point. They ran out of excuses.

It has been a foreign policy disaster for which they have derived no credit and upset all sides.

https://www.aa.com.tr/en/europe/3-baltic-states-call-on-germany-to-send-leopard-tanks-to-ukraine-now-/2793852

• Advertisement

I suspect Biden understands the political difficulties faced by Scholz to be honest. They will have been in constant communication for the past couple of weeks. Scholz did say that he was trying to build a coalition but people thought it was an excuse. The hints dropped by some of his cabinet members, some perhaps inadvertently suggested that he was going to sanction the Leopard's use regardless, but I guess he did build that coalition and now the US has committed 31 of the best main battle tanks in the world in a combined effort. There were a lot of theatrics involved here. Poland only formally asked Berlin for permission to send Leopards this week, why did they wait so long? This was all agreed behind the scenes, that's why. These guys are on the phone to each other probably daily. I wouldn't even be surprised if Scholz said go ahead, tweet this or that so I can build a stronger case at home "look, our Polish allies really want us to do this". We are not privy to the real communications between the various heads of government. It's not conducted through twitter.

I think Germany's catastrophic errors of judgement were made before the war. The US concerns over Nordstream and Germany's dependence on Russian gas were dismissed as the US trying to maintain a state of perpetual tension in Europe or more crudely (pardon the pun) to sell its own oil and, in particular fracked LNG to Germany instead. Turns out the yanks were right and Germany was about as wrong as could be. Since the war started however, Germany has done a complete 180 on foreign policy towards Russia and in its own doctrine on weapons exports to conflict zones. These are two huge shifts in longstanding policy that happened almost overnight.

Anyway, I guess we have laboured this point long enough. I don't really have anything further to say on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Detritus70

Oh look, someone being brave and generous with someone else's resources and manpower.

Easy to say that it's all so easy, Germany's not doing enough, why don't they just send the entire Bundeswehr over there and so on. Yeah, easy when you're not in Russia's firing line, but it's Germany's backside in the bacon slicer.

Selling weapons (and I'm not saying I'm fond of that type of dirty and disgusting business) is something different to taking sides against Russia in a conflict. The odds of Russia firing back are never zero and I thank our government for looking out for us. You don't give a sh*t, and I'm glad it's not you're decision

"I'm not a Trump supporter, but..." is the new "I'm not a racist, but...".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Pity it didn't happen early but I guess they hoped that Russia would see sense. It is clear Krapzinc won't change so it will escalate maybe involve us as well in the training etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,884 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Yeah they might want Germany to move faster but I from what I read, seems only government that repeatedly criticises Germany in public, really rakes them over the coals + spouts a load of nonsense about how Germany is "stopping" them doing xyz for Ukraine etc. is the clown car Polish one. Seems like they always produce more heat than light and just sow division in the EU really.

Saw that previously with an (extra - think the Poles already have them!?) Patriot system Germany offered to deploy to Poland after that incident where a farmer was killed by a stray missile (they castigated Germany for being useless, not sending the system further East to Ukraine where it was needed more instead!).

Was same thing with these tanks the last 2 weeks or so imo. Poland are now taking their place contributing a modest number of their modern Western tanks (similar to others) in future as part of a European coalition, all that vitriol, what was the point of it all? None i can discern, except politicking/firing up their base.

Germany has deployed that Patriot system to Poland's eastern border. The convoy of 12 vehicles set off on Wednesday I believe it was. I saw it on the news. Should be live any time now. The Bundeswehr will operate it so those troops have to be fed and watered as well (at Germany's expense, which is fine, Poland is a NATO ally, but yeah, the Polish PM annoyed me before the war so despite Poland's heroic effort in the refugee crisis, my impression of him hasn't changed)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

The biggest issue when It came to the Patriot system they offer directly to the poles there was zero issue,but when Poland said no please send it to Kiev they need it more , suddenly ehhhh no we can't send it to Ukraine because thats a decision only nato can make ,and we would have to have every member of nato agree or it couldn't be sent,

There was zero need to have a nato discussion and vote wether to send a Anti aircraft missle system to Ukraine from Germany it was a pure cop out, it's the same when it comes to tanks ,ohh we only send tanks if America sends theirs and even when the UK said they would sent Challenger tanks it still wasn't good enough for scholz ,he wants American tanks first ,

Someone in Germany is slowing progress and when this is all over stories will come out ,

Interesting to hear it is being deployed to Poland (expected that it would be accepted quietly in the end, despite all the high dudgeon and fuss made).

@Gatling

The suggestion was not in good faith IMO. (Correcting what I said in the other post) it's (to my mind) much more clearly just an example of the Polish govt. playing politics and using Germany as a handy and uncomplaining punchbag than the tank debate.

There's 2 issues with argument you are making about it.

First, at the time the US (i.e. the makers and suppliers) had themselves not made a public decision about giving any to Ukraine.

Second the Polish govt. already have some...perhaps they should have sent these ones East with their blessing for good of Ukraine, if they cannot wait go ahead and do it whether Uncle Sam says yay or nay... (note: that would not be a very good idea for several reasons, and Polish govt. do have enough braincells still firing to know this!).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

All Leopard's sold come with a clause that requires Germany's government to approve them to be exported which ties back with Germany's policy of not shipping weapons to countries in war.

But the Germans publicly said it would have to be discussed and approved by Nato ,it wasn't a Nato decision, possibly an American decision depending on if they have export restrictions in place,but it wasn't a decision for nato to make ,it was the Germans and Americans,

All they had to say was sorry we just need to get America to agree to the transfer to Ukraine first,but we all saw oh we can send some to Poland without Nato members agreement or apparently the Americans agreement

You are splitting hairs about NATO now (if Germans were wrong about that). I think if Polish govt. had actually been serious about this idea, it would never have come up in public the way it did.

My memory of sequencing...it was announced, and then highly publically served right back in Germany's face for maximum exposure and humiliation value. They would or could have gone to US and Germany (and perhaps NATO) and asked about it instead, but there's no political value in doing that for them now is there?🤷‍♀️

As regards saying anyone "sorry", well Europe is going to be an interesting place if we have more and more of these kinds of right wing populist clowns gaining power. Noone will be the bigger guy who admits a mistake or shows humility (or even does the basics, like tells the truth....how quaint!). Likes of the Polish govt. will get what they dish out to others returned with interest. They will all be sparking off each other. Hopefully not in my lifetime!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

To be fair

The polish government doesn't have any patriot systems themselves.

3 have been deployed yes two at rzeszow that covers one of the main disposition points of transferring weapons aid to the Ukraine one up north.

These were deployed by nato.

The German one is been deployed to cover the South Eastern area.

Poland has ordered patriot systems themselves 6 I believe and a number of shorter range systems this is under the lend lease system from America with the opportunity to to buy out right,Polish troops are currently been trained on the systems.

Delivery of these systems are expected late this year early next year.

Also Poland has transferred 3 of there own systems all ready, soviet era but heavily modernized to western standards.

Okay, did not know that thanks. Had read they had systems based there already (didn't know they were ones being operated by others) and had bought some alright.

On the transfer of their Soviet weapons, they deserve a lot of praise for this but not the excessive levels they sometimes receive (on this website anyway!). They get reimbursed by the EU for this [partly anyway?], and the Polish govt. is naturally careful not to leave themselves too short + ensure they have replacements for everything on the way as quick as possible. This is just prudent and correct for a country all too near Russia, which has been threatened by the crazy regime there.

I still think what I was saying is valid, there was really no reason for Polish govt. to behave the way they did apart from local politics and desire to score points off Germany. The pattern is always so similar in how these kinds of people (useless right wing wanna-be dictator/autocrat types) do their foreign relations.

Anyway I suppose all is well that ends well (!) if its being deployed to Poland anyway (and US is now supplying the weapons to Ukraine).

There are already German Iris-T missile defence systems saving lives in Ukraine and we have already committed to sending a patriot battery to Ukraine too. That is not the one going to Poland right now.

https://www.sueddeutsche.de/politik/bundeswehr-patriot-lieferung-polen-ukraine-1.5730230

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Seems the Ukrainians are being pummelled in Bakhmut, the Russian assault has been beyond brutal.

if Ukraine ends up having to withdraw from Bakhmut then I hope their moral stays high enough to counter elsewhere.

Bakhmut has had only one purpose for Ukraine; get Russia to expend as much resources as possible for minimal cost to Ukraine. It has no strategic value (even the Russians have admitted this) and has purely been there to grind Russia's resources to the hilt which has worked wonders. For example the Wagner group had over 50k total soldiers (of which 40k were prisoners) and are now down to sub 10k solders left for example. I expect Bakhmut will eventually fall and Russia will claim a rubble heap that they will likely lose again within the next 12 months in one of Ukraine's offensives.

Bakhmut has been falling every night for the last 6 months and yet bakhmut holds ,

If you watch any of the videos you see the same thing over and over Russians Walking through fields at night with no vehicles or air cover only to get decimated by Ukrainian artillery and drones and repeat over and over,the Russians are firing artillery into bakhmut pretty much around the clock,the idea is to reduce everything to dust leaving the Ukrainans nothing to defend,

Post edited by Gatling on

@fly_agaric On the transfer of their Soviet weapons, they deserve a lot of praise for this but not the excessive levels they sometimes receive (on this website anyway!).

Where are these excessive levels of praise for the polish government on here,

Poland has Played a significant part in the defense of Ukraine,

Weapons, vehicles weapons, logistics,and other support including repair of vehicles and weapons,

In tanks alone they gave over 350 + and still giving

On that Russia thead in CAIMHO forum (which I read and sometimes post in), is where it was. I think I was reading some excited speculations about Polish govt. "leading Europe/the EU" politically & militarily (shudder) because posters there (incl. you) are fairly naturally so happy with their supply of weapons to Ukraine.

As you may have gathered, I would not be a big fan of the ruling party there, so no thanks!

They supply weapons,they embarrassed the Germans several times over and aren't afraid of putin,to the point they have said they expect to fight Russia in open conflict over the next 6-8 years, appeasement has allowed Russia to do what it's doing in Ukraine, when it was repeatedly predicted what was going to happen the Germans allowed themselves to be bent over a barrel of Russian oil,

If it wasn't for the direct support of the polish we could be looking at a totally different outlook in Ukraine,

Yes they have a strict Catholic based systems and have pretty much trampled on LGBT rights, but that's nothing that can't be changed in the future, the same was said about ukraine not so long ago by many on here,yet people have gone pro ukraine over the last while despite previously claiming far right Nazism , corrupt,anti LGBT rights failed state .

• Advertisement

Would have to disagree that all that has happened since Feb. was "repeatedly predicted" a long way out. You are making it all seem so obvious after the fact. The invasion was predicted by the US when Putin starting moving his army to the borders and shouting insane demands to NATO/US + how he was going to take "military-technical measures". Too late for reversing 6 or so years of naive continued engagement with/appeasement of Russia post Crimea.

I have praised them already several times now for their efforts for Ukraine but the Polish govt. would really need their heads examined if they didn't aid Ukraine to the best of their ability. If the govt. didn't understand that much, I wouldn't think they would retain any support. Given how Putin has gone full deranged warlord now and there's no one in Russia calling a halt to it, every country near them is going to prepare for war (as Poland does) + seek allies (Finland/Sweden).

Look, I don't really care about most of that "LGBT" stuff or how Catholic/religious Poland still is. I don't know why it all gets such play and focus, fact that it does is not so helpful. There has been a great deal of mostly positive change on these social issues in (Western) Europe over past few decades. It is usually not a good idea for "outsiders" to preach + harshly criticise others when it comes to such matters, and certainly not a good idea to punish other EU countries that don't meet all current Western European social standards. Until quite recently Ireland had no divorce and there was an almost total ban on abortion but we were an EU member in good standing. Just googled the year and it took a long time to decriminalise homosexuality here as well.

It is the clear, calculated erosion of democracy in Poland by the current ruling party that is a massive concern, that is something that is really unacceptable for any EU member (let alone country/govt. that is claimed as some leader/exemplar in Europe). It was unacceptable long before the social mores and attitudes to sexulaity and religion in the West underwent a revolution, and it will I hope remain so, regards of further social changes.

Advertisement