Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You've been looking in the wrong direction, the dangers are coming from the right.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

look at perps. Pg 17

There are other sources but I have excluded them as they either have Jewish authors, from Israel or Jewish centres.

Many would see those. You wouldn't but others here would see Goldstein and flip out.

Anti Semitic violence is dominated today by the political Left and Islamists.

Did the Corbyn years not happen for you? Or was it all a Mossad plot.

Much of the Left has still to challenge and change from this value state.

I know that it has Jewish in the URL, my apologies, but do not dismiss out of hand automatically, change that habit.

One could post thousands of links from multiple sources on this problem.

The editor is a democrat donor.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,727 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Mostly Islamic extremists in a small number of incidents. Fundamentalist Islam is very much a far right phenomenon IMO - violent attacks, suppression of dissent and radicalization.

I've no interest in the whataboutery so I'll ignore that.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Cordell

Fundamentalist Islam is very much a right wing phenomenon

Far right you mean.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,727 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,287 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

That article has nothing to do with the left?

Plus, it's the right wing that has dedicated years to the denial of the holocaust in various forms and, in fact, the Netherlands has been leaning more to the right over recent years. They currently have a right wing government in power with the VVD, and the rise of the far right over there, such as Geert Wilders and Thierry Baudet, has been a concern throughout Europe.

You keep trying to peddle your lies, but everyone sees through you.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,950 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

No, you're way off the mark.

If you believe in women's rights and LGBTQ rights, you don't get to ignore those rights being denied in far away places.

You think I'm right wing which is nonsense, I don't want to see anyone discriminated against but the notion that conservatives in the west are the worst thing in the world is reductive and ridiculous.

And yes, not wanting to call out Islam for not wanting to recognise the rights of women and LGBTQ people is rooted in internalised racism.

Islam is a religious belief but all people like you see is skin colour.

And you have the nerve to grandstand with your nonsensical morality. You're never wrong and you can't see things from any other perspective.

Glazers Out!

Not all on the left are antisemitic, majority aren't but there is a very very sizeable minority who are.

They don't like it being called out because 1.A deep sense of almost holy morality and belief in the sanctity of their ideology and 2. They nearly always feel that the Jews are suffering hogs who are fat cats in reality. The tropes are very old.

Same as ye have been told for decades now, Never again.

Ireland doesn't have an anti Semitism problem in the Left. You could never imagine a Jeremy Corbyn and friends takeover in any left Irish party .

The left's general criticism of Israel and its conduct is not and never will be "antisemitism", no matter how much the likes of you or the current rulers in that country wish it to be so. On the other hand there's, literally, decades of genuine antisemitism and holocaust denial that has been generated on the right, including an attempt to wipe out European Jewry not even 80 years ago.

There may be some antisemites on the left of the political aisle, but they are absolutely dwarfed by the number that the right contain.

No matter how hard you try and how hard you lie, you're not going to change that fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,632 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Anyone I saw calling out Qatar for their treatment with respect to LGBT rights during the world cup would have been the usual left wing people concerned about such things.

What absolute nonsense are you talking about in saying Islam is a religious belief but all I see is colour? Again, for the 15th or 16th time I think at this point, I suggested in the OP that what is significantly impacting most of us in this conversation, i.e. in western civilization is issues created or exacerbated by the right. Your approach now, if I can follow you, is that even though the right wing don't give a sh*t about what is happening in these countries outside the west, you demand that left wing people in the west should be concerned about them.

I've been here long enough to know that I've never seen you post any concerns about minority people anywhere unless you're using it as a stick to beat your usual targets with it. So no, you don't get to accuse me of grandstanding because of you wanting to have this discussion in a particular way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,888 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Lol, I wonder why he won't answer your question. Hmmm...

I never said all dangers start to the right of wherever I see myself on the political spectrum so nice try in trying to get me to literally paint you a picture.

What has Israel to do with this?

Why do you introduce it to our discussion or see it as relevant?

It's that conflating that is atypical of the sneaking regarders of Anti Semitism on the left.

I'm not going to condemn a Palestinian for shooting dead an Israeli soldier, or a European of any political leaning paying for the bullet, no more than I wouldn't condemn an English soldier being put down on the ground up to 20 years ago,. I wouldn't condemn it still but see it as no longer necessary.

That is different from the Anti Semitism that consumed so much of the left, a Jew from London or Paris is not an Israeli and going on about gold, greed and noses is not an analysis of Middle Eastern politics.

Do you distance yourself from Anti Semitism?

°°°°°

You're basing your opinion on people you saw calling out Qatar during the world cup?

I've seen left wing posters on this site tie themselves in knots to ignore the things that happen in places like Saudi Arabia, usually by saying they are relevant to the lives of people on this site or some other cop out.

You created a thread largely based on things happening in places a that aren't relevant to Irish people (the majority of people on this platform) but we're supposed to take your word for it that conservatives in the United States pose a bigger threat to the world than Communist China or North Korea, or that fundamentalist Christian groups in the American rust belt holding signs or shouting at people is a bigger threat to LGBTQ people than them being locked up or executed by Islamic fundamentalist governments in other countries.

Your views are so narrow and childish that it's to be expected that you project things onto people but for the millionth time, I'm not right wing and I am concerned about minorities, women's rights and LGBTQ rights. I just don't think those people need me to crusade on their behalf not do I feel the need to virtue signal by doing so.

Glazers Out!

We're done here. I don't have the life left in me to be correcting your lies and non sequiturs all day again.

Nobody is buying your bullshit.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭farmingquestion

I can't make sense of the thread title. Online discourse is almost always saying the right is wrong.

I asked you, as others have, on other threads to condemn Anti Semitism.

You refused, I'm not in the least surprised.

Pffft...go away Danzy. Your attempt to try and claim a moral high ground is laughable. 🤣

You created a thread largely based on things happening in places a that aren't relevant to Irish people

Demonstrably wrong. Issues referenced in the OP included Brexit, the war in Ukraine, Climate change. All of which have significant impact on Irish people. The political situation in the US massively influences the hundreds of thousands of Irish people who live there, visit there, work for US companies etc etc. Given the influence America traditionally has on the rest of the planet, this is even more the case. The political situation in the UK with respect to Ireland, even more so.

Nobody who watched the US in recent decades could pretend that China poses a bigger threat to the planet, that is just laughably ignorant of the geopolitical situation and to mention NK in the same breath makes me think I'd be better off in joining the other posters in ignoring you. Both of these countries are significant, are impactful and are problematic in many ways. Again there has been no suggestion that this isn't the case. But after watching Conservatives in America advocating the starting of wars throughout the middle East several times over the last 30 years and watching Trumps bigoted populism spread in many places in recent years, you'd want your hand examined to say these other countries are bigger threats to the world.

Go ahead and keep claiming to be 'not right wing' eventually one of you guys will stop and think 'wait' are we the baddies' given you're all so keen to not be identified in that way. Kinda makes you wonder doesn't it, an ideology that has little or no issues (given how ye all stand up for it) and yet no one claims to be aligned with it. Funny that.

I'd be taking that Telegraph link that was just dumped here with a mountain of salt as well. It was just another excuse for the "Antisemitism is only bad when the left do it" soapboxing.

• Advertisement

Makes sense to the posters on Boards who spent the years 2017 - 2022 with weekly threads complaining about Left wing individuals, acts and ideals.

But you weren't here then of course.

Online discourse is almost always saying the right is wrong? Are you sure about that? one of the most popular threads on here the last few months is people railing against any action to protect the climate. There were no shortage of contributors, on here and elsewhere expressing delight at Musk apparently giving the Left a kicking and we've see two new major media outlets emerge in the UK to cate for right wing opinions, do you think the people these outlets are hoping to attract don't exist online?

Incidentally, there's no shortage of spectacular ignorance of the Holocaust in the USA:

Almost two-thirds (63 percent) of U.S.Millennials and Gen Z do not know that six million Jews were killed during the Holocaust.

Just over one-third (36 percent) of U.S.Millennials and Gen Z believe two million Jews or fewer were killed during the Holocaust.

11% of US millenials and Gen Z agreed with the statement "The Jews caused the Holocaust".

No surprise given that one of the two major parties has fully embraced authoritarian tyranny and fascism.

°°°°°

Let's take climate change as an example. China is one of the biggest polluters on the planet but they're not a bigger threat to the planet than western nations who are at least paying lip service to reducing emissions. China has no intention to reduce its emissions but it gets a free pass when it comes to discussing climate change and that's before its increased military spending and plans to invade Taiwan come into the conversation.

Your discounting of North Korea being a threat to the world is puzzling in light of their ramping up of their nuclear capabilities, but yeah I suppose Donald Trumps populism is a bigger threat to the world than nuclear weapons.

It's difficult to assign the responsibility for American foreign policy to the right only and keep a straight face, republicans and Democrats have taken America to war over the years but it's only bad when those nasty Republicans do it?

For the record I'm not right wing, as I've stated repeatedly, but you see anything that isn't your opinion as right wing it would seem. Everyone you don't like is a Nazi so to speak, like I've said before, the central conceit of this thread is lunacy.

Glazers Out!

°°°°°

Best of luck getting a straight answer on that one.

Glazers Out!

For the record I'm not right wing.

Yeah, so you've said about 40,000 times. Keep saying it, you'll find someone who believes you.

°°°°°

Antisemitism, like any other form of racism, is bad no matter who is doing it. But there have been distinct efforts recently to falsely equate criticism of Israeli actions against Palestine as "antisemitism", when it's no such thing. And since it's the left who are generally the most vocal about the abuses that Palestine routinely suffer at the hands of their neighbours, it's only a short walk from that to nebulous, and usually baseless, accusations.

But it's as clear as day, and it has always been the case, that antisemitism's worst outrages have been the proclivity of the right wing of politics, all the way up to, and including, extermination policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,973 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

China has no intention to reduce its emissions

Do you just pull this out of your ass?

Your discounting of North Korea being a threat to the world is puzzling in light of their ramping up of their nuclear capabilities, but yeah I suppose Donald Trumps populism is a bigger threat to the world than nuclear weapons.

At least as big as Iran, the people he enabled to continue their nuclear weapons program, wouldn't you say?

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/08/world/middleeast/trump-iran-nuclear-deal.html

And the Iranians shure boy they aren't lefties.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Simpler than that. My fellow Americans - expat here - are morons. The failure of the educational system becomes more and more obvious the older I get. Most of them couldn't spell cat if you spotted them the 'c' and the 't'.

• Advertisement
    °°°°°

China has a long way to go to demonstrate they actually give a damn about how they generate their energy in a meaningful way. If they could circumvent the need to do anything you'd have to assume they would and it would be prudent to be wary of anything they tell the world on this topic.

As for Iran's nuclear program being compared to North Korea, Iran doesn't have any nuclear weapons yet, North Korea is estimated to have between 30-40 nuclear weapons so that's a false equivalence to begin with.

Glazers Out!

Advertisement