Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,401 ✭✭✭This is it

Thanks, I'm not too concerned about the electrics, I'd sort that myself, but I know how expensive a new burner can be. I think I'll go with standard survey and try get over myself, knock the heating on for a bit, and see how it goes.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

You’ll find lots of accounts in Instagram doing it (most to save for house or wedding). You basically look and plan your budget and just don’t spend outside it. So no buying daily Costa, lunches out, dinner out etc. basically live frugally for the time to get a chunk of change. If you aren’t currently paying a mortgage in terms of your rent, you could put away what the mortgage would be starting now and get place revalued in 6 months, your likely have 4-5k if you were strict with yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Can anyone shed some light on this; I bought a new build in an estate last month, and today I checked the PPR out of interest. All the houses in the estate are listed, but the sale prices are not correct.

My own property is listed at 45k below what was on the contract, and likely the same for all the others. Any reason for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

The listing excludes the vat on new builds.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Sallywag37

Thanks pc7. Yes, it's amazing how it all adds up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,277 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

You’re presumably tax resident here and used the same solicitor for probate and house conveyance? The sale proceeds are below the €500k limit for a CGT clearance and provided you are Irish resident, there should not be any CGT or CAT reasons not to simply distribute the proceed of sale to you. Provided the probate value is accepted/not challenged you will have a capital loss to use against potential future gains on other assets. LPT, household charge, non-principal property charge etc would all need to be satisfied ( if they are relevant) through the sales process.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 sellinggaff

Top tip- do the probate yourself. It's staggeringly easy if you can find somebody to tell you the basics and saves you five or six grand instead of having some cowboy solicitor do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

Anyone get Mortgage Protection Insurance lately? We are approved with BoI and they are pushing getting MP & Home Insurance with them, I assume you dont have to go with them and go with a third party instead? Have a quote for beatthebank today through Royal London, and provides for dual coverage. Anyone else getting MP recently and have recommendations? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Helpneeded567

Hi All,

I have a question I'm hoping someone can help me with. My current house is sale agreed and I'm sale agreed on another house. Both going along very smoothly but we haven't contracts signed yet, happening in the next week hopefully. Before drawing down my mortgage on the new house I need to have house insurance and am wondering on what dates to insure from? Can I insure if for next week even though the house will not officially be mine and no one currently lives in it? Also bank are looking for letter of indemnity to note the interest of the bank, do I request that of the insurance company when I get the house insured or is this something the solicitor does?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,369 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Just confirming - you don't have to go with BOI tied provider.

Similarly for home insurance, you can pick your own cover but sometimes it's nearly easier to do this via the bank's provider due to dates etc and ensuring cover is in place exactly from when you want it.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭J_1980

Probably went into ppr ex-Vat. If you multiply by 1.135 is that the price you paid?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

My new buyers have asked to bring closing date forward a week, so hopefully will be done and dusted next month, definitely has been a longer process than I thought it would be. Hoping no more interest rate hikes and smooth sailing now for a closed deal, 3rd times the charm!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Put it up for sale end of July, had a cash buyer straight away, they pulled out as something that suited better came on market, went sale agreed again, they were slow to do anything then when rates went up they backed out (solo buyer), then went sale agreed straight away again and thankfully these buyers are brill everything moving well. So heres hoping, I genuinely didn't think it would be 7 months to be honest (probably naive of me). Still not over the line until its signed and sealed so just on tenterhooks now until its done.

Thanks for that.

putting our house for sale soon, pictures and all that are being taken next week, area we live the activity isn’t huge like a house a week kind of thing changing hands. We technically won’t be in a chain as we’ll only be going for AIP towards the end of the sale (if it happens) kind of looking for a smooth but not too quick experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭frank730

BOI advised me to have it insured before we ask for drawdown, not from the date you move in, so yes the house is not even yours at that point but banks won't allow drawdown until you have all required paperwork ready

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭blarb

Just an update on how the rest of the process went now that we have finally finished the selling and buying!

Week 8

Sale: no update

Purchase: no update

Week 9

Sale: buyer signs contracts, we counter sign

Purchase: we receive our loan offer from PTSB, we sign contracts for purchase and sign loan offer

Week 10: Christmas

Week 11

Sale: closing date set as 27th Jan

Purchase: set up home insurance and mortgage protection

Week 12

Purchase: no update

Week 13

Purchase: sellers counter sign contracts, our solicitor requests funds from PTSB

Week 14

Sale: we completed the sale on Friday and moved out as agreed

Purchase: we were waiting on our own funds to be released from ptsb. Last minute paperwork issue raised by ptsb on Wednesday afternoon! Didn't make it through final checks till Thursday afternoon, and we were told it could be next week when funds would be sent - this was a major disappointment as we had to move out of our house on Friday. Thankfully the sellers of our new house were happy for us to move our stuff there on Friday. In with my parents we went then until the funds were sent and purchase completed.

Week 15:

Purchase: completed on Tuesday afternoon at 3:30pm, we got the keys at 5pm. Exhausted, we picked up our dogs from kennels and in we went! Glad to be done, we love the house, and I'm glad we bought this with the intention of it being our forever home, as I don't want to be in chain ever again, even if our chain was short, I dread to think what it's like in longer chains!

Overall though, things went very smoothly, aside from that final delay on our banks side. Wishing everyone luck with their buying/selling. This forum has been really helpful along the way, so thanks to everyone for contributing!

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Dolbhad

Are people selling their houses first and then lining up a purchase?

We are looking at buying a new build and selling our current house. Hoping to secure a new build first and then sell our house as we will have time but suppose depends on if a builder is happy to sell to us when we need to sell.

We’re selling first kind of, then looking. But that could all change! Delaying putting the house on the market by about 9 weeks so we can have better bank statements and savings routine

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭jiminho

Hi folks, been on the house hunt since late November. Is it just me, or has supply got really poor since the beginning of the year? Very little seems to be coming on the market and the stock that does, is not great. Is there a deeper lying issue eg interest rates, economy etc or is this an annual thing and inventory should pick up in the spring?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭FedoraTheAura

FTB. After a year, countless viewings, multiple bidding wars, losing out on places by a few €k, and messed around by a few EA’s, just went sale agreed.

Have ended up with somewhere much bigger than I expected to get, requires no work and in just about my ideal location. Very little I’d change about it at all.

Obviously a lot that can go wrong before it gets over the line, but just to say to people on the hunt, it’s a very disheartening process but keep your head up. The hard work can pay off. I honestly feel like the BS of the last year has suddenly been worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Mr Hindley

That's fantastic news, absolutely delighted that things have worked out so well for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

Remember that the new mortgage rules only kicked in this week, allowing people to get more money, so no point in putting house up until people know what they can spend

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Galwayhurl

January is the lowest pint of every year in terms of listings.

Compared with January of last year, listings are way up.

Listings creep up from now onwards, then really accelerate from March to July.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 curgar

Wondering anyone can advise please.

Currently selling a property and buying a new one. Bank have told us two weeks ago we have submitted all docs on our end and all good.

We Signed contracts on Friday for both sale and purchase and solicitor has requested to drawdown funds.

The bank have now come back today asking for a letter from my employer (tech company who recently announced redundancies) stating I am not affected. Nobody in the company will be told for another 3 weeks if they are safe or not, and we cannot just get a letter like this written up, it has to go through a ticket system and is likely to be rejected anyway.

We are now bound to sell our house, if the bank don't release funds we have nowhere to go.

What does one do in this scenario? Surely the bank are bound to follow through with the loan after a certain legal point has been reached. Any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 psych77

Hi All. Just wondering about time line for house purchase and if anyone else has been affected by BOI interest hike. We had approval, found the house but only went sale agreed last Monday at which time rates had Risen. We had to update our approval with new address of this property and new loan amount. We got that approval today. Survey is organised. Valuation will be organised tomorrow and done asap. I had mortgage insurance on house I’m selling which adequately covers this loan amount but is short 3 years on loan term 😣. BOI of course said they want new MP. I don’t know how long this takes or if it’s completely unrealistic to try get drawdown off funds by 21feb to keep old interest rate? Solicitor is all set to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Jasna1982

I believe we work for the same company 😉

Can you not get an email from your manager? I know for certain my department will not be affected. I’m sure managers will have a fair idea at this point whether their team will be affected.

Use my Tesla referral link for free charging credits: https://www.tesla.com/referral/jasna121868

• Registered Users Posts: 5,401 ✭✭✭This is it

I'm sale agreed about 2 weeks now and expect it to take another 6-8 weeks minimum. It seems like the exchange of documents and questions asked and answered by solicitors and vendors solicitors is where the hold up takes place. I'm sure drawing down in two weeks is possible, but I'd have thought it would be highly unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 curgar

Asked and denied :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Dante

I'm finding this stage to be painful. Currently waiting on the vendor to get a land registry map for a couple of weeks now, I'm getting no feedback from anybody.

Advertisement