Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭dogbert27

As for the current 10 point difference:

Fulham 2 - Liverpool 2 (Coming from behind to rescue a point)

Crystal Palace 1 - Liverpool 1 (Coming from behind to rescue a point)

Man Utd 2 - Liverpool 1 (After United being beaten 4-0 by Brentford)

Everton 0 - Liverpool 0 (A Frank Lampard Everton!)

Liverpool 3- Brighton 3 (Coming from behind twice and then throwing away a winning position)

Not Forest 1 - Liverpool 0 (Losing to a team in the bottom 3 at the time who were being beaten well by everyone else)

Liverpool 1 - Leeds 2 (Again losing to a team that had poor form and at Anfield)

Brentford 3 - Liverpool 1

Brighton 3 - Liverpool 0

Liverpool 0 - Chelsea 0

25 points lost. Last 2 seasons we would have had at least 20 of those points in the bag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,202 ✭✭✭Talisman

This is the season where the player's inability to be clinical in front of goal has caught up with us.

Fulham : 67% possession, 11 shots, 6 on target, 2 goals

Crystal Palace : 73% possession, 24 shots, 14 on target, 1 goal

Man Utd : 70% possession, 17 shots, 10 on target, 1 goal

Everton : 61% possession, 22 shots, 14 on target, 0 goals

Those performances were before our opponents figured out that the midfield was done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,301 ✭✭✭✭rob316

They also have a really good manager, huge potential in the lower leagues and he done well at a tiny club like Bournemouth before he couldn't take them any further.

Interesting fact: The fathers of Thiago and Bajcetic were team mates at Celta Vigo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,304 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

12:30 kick off away to Bournemouth before the away leg in Madrid in March, with the United game changed to Sunday 5th at 4:30pm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,698 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Two times we never seem to perform well at against two teams who will likely beat us on current form. I guess we can simply just focus on Madrid and pray we remember how to play enough to pull off a miracle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,506 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Good to see it. If he stays injury free, he’ll be a squad player for us at worst for the years ahead, but personally I think his ceiling is higher than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,965 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Bajcetic's best quality is his defensive nuance, which is extremely rare in a player this young. He doesn't bomb forward, he sees passes but he doesn't force anything, he seems to know what "safe" passes to play that still progress possession. So often he'll win the ball back and immediately play the right pass to relieve pressure. He's a very Spanish defensive midfielder basically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,399 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

It helps that he was a central defender at under age level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

That's going to be toxic as fook I would guess...

I am not sure he gets the scoop any earlier than other journos these days and he tends to toe the club line a lot...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,724 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Kolo Toure just got sacked by Wigan after a two month stint.

Wonder if he'll team up with Gerrard for the Poland job 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Arsenal looking to try get Caicedo now,have submitted a £60 million bid for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭steve_r

Arsenal have lost one league game this year and that was the one Partey missed. I think he is as vital for us as Fabinho was (when he was performing).

I think they want to cover him in case Partey misses more games. We should be all over it, would make a massive difference to the midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,724 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Dyche in at Everton.....no doubt he'll have them all riled up just in time for the Derby 🙄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭Tommysocks11

Ya what the hell is going on, arsenal top of league and spending like crazy and now bid 60 mill for caicedo, we are dreadful in midfield and getting worse with virtually no chance of top 4 unless we purchase and nothing about we bidding for him or any other midfielders this window, this is a disgrace, we are supposed to be 2nd richest club in some world list I saw lately,1 midfielder in 4 years bought is negligence oh and also melo who I see is out till at least march, I'm disgusted at fsg penny pinching, sooner them American p****s are gone the better, they are just milking the club and just got lucky with success klopp brought them

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

Brilliant move by Arsenal and likely once they come back with an improved offer they will get Caicedo. They need him as they are very light in certain positions and a few injuries could derail them. They have not been in the CL since 2017 I think but they might not get a chance to win the league in the next 10 years so very clever to go for it.

Newcastle buying Gordon for 45m brings their spending from Jan 22-23 to 300m and I do not think they have sold one player in that time. Assuming they get top 4, they will likely spend even more in the summer.

Hard to see what path FSG are taking, leaving the midfield as is for now could results in us being out of the CL in a few weeks plus the FA Cup, if that happens we have 10-15 league games with nothing on the line, that has not happened for a while though for years it was the norm:)

I don't think Brighton will sell Caicedo in January unless it's £80-100m which is crazy money for anyone to pay for him at the moment. He's been very good this season but not that good.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

They certainly do not need the money after selling Curacella and Trossard but if Caicedo himself throws the proverbial toys out of the pram then that can change things.

For Arsenal it is probably worth an inflated price given their position and for the player himself, it is hard when his wage will increase 30 fold!!

I thought the ceiling was reached in terms of transfer fees a year ago but they seem to just exponentially increase, Gordon for 40m to Newcastle is mad even if the money means nothing to the owners, seems like a young player with attitude issues getting far too much too young, not necessarily the best move in terms of having 10+ years left in his career.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Gordon to Newcastle will be like Lescott to Man City.

Will fade out after a season or 2 and sold to a club back down the league.

Newcastle are operating the same as Man City when they got their cash injection.

Newcastle won't be going away any time soon.

Where are Arsenal getting all the money?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Calm down folks, calm down.

Reports today that Athur is back jogging, again, so the midfield is sorted....... 😔🙄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,069 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I mean, I know we're all down on him cause he got injured right away - but tbh i'm quite excited to see him play for us eventually. Really liked him at Barcelona, looked a great player there. He's not the all action DM we're crying out for, but to be honest we're light in every aspect of midfield, so if he can give Thiago a rest every so often it'd be very useful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭noodler

It would seem, based on more recent history, another injury would be more likely.

When we can't get a win though, I worry less about resting first teamers and more about how to them playing again.

Of course, but I'm talking about over the next 4 months, rather than right now. I'm particularly thinking of the Champions League, as our only little potential ray of light this season. I don't give us a hope if Thiago is in any way off his game or tired, so if someone can fill in for him in the matches before/after, I think it gives us some chance at least, and Arthur is a natural fit for that. yeah, maybe he'll just get injured again, but on the field he's a good player, which we could do with.

Different point but I think it'd be easier for us to put a run together in our last 19 games against a mix of teams than trying to get seven results against Europe's best.

Not a chance of either but think the league is the more fertile ground.

I'm not saying we duff the league or anything, but as a fan the champions league is the only real potential source of enjoyment or magic left in the season. Everything else is "I hope it doesn't turn out too bad".

But the one is needed for the other anyway. No hope in the CL without the week-in-week-out football improving, and equally, a few good results in the CL could see a bit of buoyancy and positivity return to the club. I think it would be bad for our remaining league salvaging to go out of the CL immediately, as it'll just be so deflating on top of everything else.

That's true.

For as bad a season as it is we still got magic wins against City and Spurs and got past the group stages.

Gotta get back to enjoying the journey more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,506 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Yeah I think we’re either going to suffer a bad defeat to Real Madrid and also miss out on the top 4, or we’ll pick our form up and go on a strong run in both, get top 4 and maybe another Istanbul final if we really get our act together.

Right now, I’d say the first option is far more likely, but we’re not usually a club that does well in one competition while suffering in another while Klopp has been in charge.

• Advertisement

Looking at Caicedo's latest post on Instagram and he will hardly be playing on Sunday

Why can't one of our new signings hit the ground running like Trossard did the there.

Those sorts of super direct players always fare better in that regard... in the recent past Jota and Diaz looked terrific right away with that sort of style. I mean, to an extent Nunez has too, in that he's been fairly instantly impactful - he's just not been finishing at a high enough % yet.

He has to get fit first before he can go out injured again, and he hasn't been fit for quite some time. And he also has a possible suspension hanging over him if and when he does eventually get fit again.

Dumbest fvckin signing I ever saw.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,069 ✭✭✭jones

The Caicedo thing is bizarre he's exactly the type of player we need but we're doing nothing to try get him and the form team on top of the league are offering big money for him. What exactly is going on at Liverpool? If we've any slim hope of top 4 we need to be signing him or someone similar now.

Ps people still talking about getting top 4 with the current squad. Let it go guys without significant re-enforcement it's gone. We're nowhere near top 4 this season. We're not even in the top six best teams at the moment on current form.

Current form has lasted half the season so far. This isn't a blip or some temporary issue. I'm sick of hearing after every bad result that this will be the wake up call for Liverpool etc etc. The decline of this team has been staggering but everyone apart from FSG and apparently klopp saw this coming. Bananas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Agree that top 4 is gone, we'll do well to finish top 6 this season. Midfield is the obvious area that needed reinforcement this window, the fact this has been ignored while spending money on Gakpo is extremely bizarre -he may turn out a good signing in the long run, but, a midfielder was more urgently required to have any chance of top 4.

There's little to no chance we sign Bellingham, so not signing a midfielder or two last summer or this window is extreme negligence. Very hard to know the thinking behind the current transfer strategy, if there is even one. Getting back into the top 4 next season will be extremely difficult as the landscape has changed significantly over the last 12 months or so; Newcastle now have unlimited resources and have bought well, United have a competent manager plus likely new owners on the way, a resurgent Arsenal have made huge progress and investment in the squad, plus Man City are still there and that's before we even consider Chelsea who are spending like crazy. Those 5 clubs are what we're up against for top 4 next season, all bar Chelsea are stable and appear to have a coherent transfer strategy. We on the other hand seem unwilling to spend on obvious weaknesses in the squad and don't appear to have any kind of coherent transfer strategy atm. This situation could easily have been avoided with better recruitment (without breaking the bank) since last season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,069 ✭✭✭jones

I do wonder did we get a little too smug with how amazingly we performed in the transfer window in seasons gone by. As @Girly Gal said to not reinforce the midfield in the summer transfer window or january one is very worrying. We have gone from being shrewdy transfer operators to a club which appear to have no long terms plan and ignores glaring weaknesses which are obvious for all to see. You'd wonder how this happened so quickly was Michael Edwards the magic glue for this club?

I love Klopp but i'm really wondering is his loyalty to the players a large part of this issue combined with FSG's apparent lack of will to invest to create the perfect storm of a rigid aging squad which is now the 5th or 6th best team in the league on a good day. Crazy to think this team will have only won 1 league title and 1 champions league considering how dominant we have been in the last number of years - if it was not for city we'd probably have 4/5 titles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Don't tease us like that, at least tell us what he posted for those of us not on Instagram

Basically saying he wants to leave Brighton this transfer window and Brighton should accept the transfer fee. On twitter this morning some are saying that his agent wrote the post. Look he might play tomorrow but if his head is turned then its hard to see

Just a thought, but, maybe Michael Edwards transfer dealings might be coming back to haunt the club now, under Edwards the club played hardball in a lot of their dealings and were happy to boast about it, which may have burnt a lot of bridges with other clubs. That strategy worked for a few seasons, but those clubs are now probably reluctant to deal with Liverpool, especially when other clubs like Newcastle, Chelsea, Arsenal, United and Madrid are more willing to do straight forward deals.

I'd say it's all coming from the agent. He's having a great season and should stick it out with Brighton until the summer I think. He won't do his career any harm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,504 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Chelsea or Arsenal bound, Liverpool is so tight with their money. We need new owners fast. Everyone is pulling ahead, Chelsea will get rid of Potter in summer, and Jose will have want he wants, loads of money, and a return to Chelsea, while Liverpool could drift even further

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭hawaii501

Well I think Caicedo is probably right to force a move as I think they'll probably win the league this season but can't see them winning it next season when Pep gets the chequebook out.

Liverpool will be back top 8 mediocrity from now on as Newcastle will further strengthen. Chelsea will continue spending and can't see Liverpool buying 3 top class cms that are needed to compete.

Not worrying about the Berge rumours as that's all they are, sure it happens every season - don't know why as he's never even stood out for Stoke. Would rather Morton recalled which I probably think he should be if no new signings are being made.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

I agree that we will be in a top 4 struggle for the next few seasons unless something drastic and very unexpected happens with regards to midfield reinforcements. We shouldn't be in this position, where we are crying out for a complete overhaul in midfield with owners that don't put their own money into the club and it appearing like we won't have the money to do so. The Gapko buy is particularly perplexing given the limited money we appear to have and the state of our midfield.

If, like some posters here pointed out a few seasons ago, the club had added one player per window to keep the squad rolling over, with one or two of the players bought being midfielders, we would not find ourselves in this position. We have a raft of players now that are either getting too old, remain injury prone and who we won't get a decent fee for selling them. They will run down their contracts then leave. Where do we get future transfer money if we get little from player sales under the current owners operating model.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,504 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Confidence is key, we've won every single game we've scored first in this season. not so much when we concede, it's like a dagger to the teams heart when we concede a goal first

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Chelsea is fast becomg a bit of a graveyard for players and given the sheer amount of players they have and are continuing to buy, I don't see that changing. It will be impossible to give them gametime. Strangely, Chelsea are not the team to worry about being adrift from - I think they will be adrift themselves for another season or two.

2 or 3 good signings in midfield, a few less injuries and we will be in good enough shape I think. A few players form returning too would't go astray either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭ratracer

If this list is correct, it’s absolutely nuts that the club are paying Arthur Melo £126k per week! Hasn’t played first team football, crocked when they brought him in…… that whole loan is just bizarre

https://www.daveockop.com/editorial/liverpool-players-earnings-for-2023/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

A gamble that backfired, very common unfortunately,we have been lucky not to be caught with a while.

A monumentally dumb gamble, was pretty clear within days of it happening that it was stupid in the extreme, and the more you read about Melo and his teams dealings it makes one wonder about what if any background checks the powers at the club did before signing the deal.

Surprising giving the diligence we've normally shown over recent years, 7 odd million pissed away in wages for nothing.

Signing 2 or 3 midfielders next summer will be more difficult without CL football, plus the likely top 4 this season, Arsenal, Man City, United and Newcastle will all strengthen again in the summer, they will have CL football to offer and can outbid us for any player, plus you have Chelsea stockpiling players, players that could do a job for us, but, will be off the market. Also with the recruitment recently how confident are you we would sign 2 or 3 good midfielders. Our best hope is players form returning; Fabinho, VVD and Salah (play him closer to goal) in particular.

Looks like McKennie joining Leeds on loan from Juventus with an option to buy. Would've been a very handy one for us, and they bloody owe us after Arthur!

• Advertisement
Advertisement