Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Challenge tv coming on Feb 1st

Options
  • 25-01-2023 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭

Challenge tv launching on saorview on February the first. Hopefully more will arrive soon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭zeebre12

Bit of a strange one. Challenge is to launch on Saorview in February https://rxtvinfo.com/2023/challenge-to-launch-on-saorview/

Post edited by icdg on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

Great news for Saorview, hopefully we will see more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

I noticed it today when flicking through. Nice to see [I]something[/I] else for a change after only about 11 years. Hopefully it's in 1080 /s

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭goldiefresh

576 if your lucky. Repeats of bullseye wouldn't look the same otherwise 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Retune on my Hitachi shows it as a hidden channel under number 8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭zeebre12

So we could see The Chase on simultaneously on 5 channels now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

10 when you add +1

• Registered Users Posts: 9,759 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Any addition to Saorview is welcome at this stage but I'd have preferred if they put Pick on there.

How many channels will that be showing old episodes of The Chase.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Moved to terrestrial and merged. Yeah not sure why they went for Challenge over Pick tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,104 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Anything (except shopping and competition channels) is a welcome addition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,951 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

More choice is always good. Even those sorts of channels for people who like to watch them.

I surprised euronews was never added

Or something like skysportsnews... Sky could use that to push advertising for subscription to a sky package.

A classic movie channel would be great as well, TCM or similar.

Wishful thoughts..

I'll stick with my saorview+freesat+ streaming ;-) services

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Anything to be said for them buying where in the world and know your sport!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 MyHair

Very odd considering RTE1, RTE2 and RTE News all become Euronews mirrors late on into the night. Would make far more sense to just have it as a dedicated channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

The Chase,The Chase, The Chase, followed by The Chase and then we'll have The Chase.

I don't get it. 11/12 years ago is when we needed these channels signing up to Saorview, not now with fibre broadband going into every home in the country

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭marclt

It’s fairly cheap filler for RTE when they have nothing else to show.

Awful lazy scheduling when both stations are showing exactly the same thing and could be easily remedied.

RTE must have enough old programmes in their archive to be able to put up a classics channel similar to BBC Four and ITV41

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭eddieoregan

ITV 41, crikey how many channels has itv 🤓🤓🤓

• Registered Users Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Unlikely that anymore channels will be added, I think Challenge is possible the last available slot on the 2 RTÉ MUXes anyone know for certain.

Very odd move considering that cula4/tg4+1 are due to start broadcasting this year.

IMO it would have been better to get Sky Arts or Pick.

I still don't understand how they got on these Muxes, will sky take the BAI commercial Muxes? It might fit with Sky Glass in someway?

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TAFKAlawhec

While (almost) any addition to the Saorview TV channel line up is to be welcomed, IMO Challenge is a pale shadow of a channel from what it was 5-10 years ago though if you can't get enough of The Chase on the VM outlets, then there's one more for you soon! I guess that these repeats must be good ratings performers and/or cheap to be shown so often. The days of Challenge taking risks in scheduling some old game show episodes that haven't seen in years if not decades and putting them in a prime time spot has long been over.

As for comments concerning capacity, there's still really at least a bit of room on both muxs - the SD channels on Saorview are running with plenty of bitrate headroom for MPEG4 544x576 vision in comparison to the bitrates for channels both on satellite & UK Freeview which are running a lot of channels with the same resolution but with lower bitrates and using (mostly) MPEG2 as well. Given that the original three slots that Sky had for the original Freeview launch has evolved into broadcasting Sky News, Pick & Challenge, at this stage I wouldn't be surprised if Pick gets added to the Saorview line up in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,708 ✭✭✭✭briany

Yeah, but it's mostly tapes of Killinaskully and Hot Milk and Pepper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I remember that time period alright, around 2012/13. They were showing early series of Fifteen to One, Blockbusters and Countdown in prime time. As a fan of those 80s/90s shows I loved it. But the first I knew something was wrong when they pulled a 1991 series of Countdown mid series. When questioned on Facebook (not by me) they initially said there was an issue with the tapes but eventually admitted that it wouldn’t be back because they weren’t getting the audience for it.

I’m really tired of The Chase. Overplayed and (in my opinion) not that above board either. I had Challenge since the analogue Sky days and it’s nowhere near as good as back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,708 ✭✭✭✭briany

Naturally, commercial channels will chase audiences and revenue. Same reason why the History Channel gradually morphed into the Ancient Aliens Channel. It's what most people want to see.

Best bet for the old gameshows is YouTube.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭lgs 4

Challenge tv coming to Saorview .RTE missed out there .They could have been the first platform to offer Challenge in HD

It's a welcome addition.

But a 24/7 euronews, and rte to fill dead time with old reruns rather than euronews, and a classic movie type channel, would be great

Even local tv, some sort of channel with programs made by secondary school students, or an open access type channel .

But the likes of YouTube have replaced the need for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

I hope they show reruns of Grange Hill in the mornings, or at least have a stab at showing some independent world cinema a few nights a week. I have had it with having to flick over reruns of Men in Black.

Would like to see some fringe Irish sports like road bowling, cycling and of course the beach volley womens global tour champion of champion series.

If they even attempt to try it on with that speed cycling I am out.

If you are looking for something off the beaten track I have developed a recent crush on African religious channels, fascinating stuff. There are some hilarious guru type megalomaniac over-zealous preachers condemning Satan and all his evils whist baptising middle aged reborns down at the local river, trust me it is compelling to watch it unfold. There was a special edition of Gospel folk singers performing from Addis Adiba earlier in the week, I actually got into it after a while and was off the couch clapping and swinging the hips singing along to Boogie Ragga versions of Sing Hosanna.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭thomasking22008

Would like see add some Irish sport like premier sport free to air showing all Irish sport gaa rugby film4 pick tv euronews Will soarview will add mux 3 and 4 in future ?

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TAFKAlawhec

The Saorview network is a (relatively) open one. If a broadcaster has an appropriate licence from the BAI or another similar EU based authority, that 2RN say that they have capacity to accommodate them (either in SD or HD) and they are willing to pony up the cost towards broadcasting on the platform, then they can appear on the platform. 2RN don't chase after broadcasters for content, they simply provide technical "window space" for them.

Otherwise, with some very odd exceptions like Sky Kids (largely thanks to Sky's partnership with Viacom ending regarding Nickelodeon) and That's 60's (music channels aimed at older adults are still getting notable audiences), the days of launching new linear channels - and especially those delivering original content that has not had a place on a linear channel before - are pretty much over. On Demand & streaming is the growing game in town. Events like certain sport(s) competitions that never had a real presence on linear TV have started either adopting their own online PPV models or use the likes of YouTube to stream live or upload coverage of games that have taken place. Same goes for a lot of niche content which not only has a much more comfortable relationship with the internet as a platform, but whose content would be unlikely to ever be profitable from broadcasting.

As for talk concerning the opening of another Saorview multiplex, the chances of that are very slim let alone any talk of a fourth. Take a look at the DTT stats for Saorview on digitalbitrate.com (there's two Irish sites, one for Three Rock & Kippure and another for Clermont Carn) and you can largely see that the SD channels have an average video bitrate of 2-3 Mbit/s (the exception is the Oireachtais channel, which doesn't need much head room for its content). Compare that to 5 Select & TBN on the PSB3 multiplex on Freeview which like the Saorivew SD channels ('xcept Sky News) are 544x576 resolution with MPEG4 video - they're running average video bitrates of 0.6-0.7 Mbit/s!😲. I reckon after Challenge is added, 2RN could if needed squeeze another 1-2 SD services on both multiplexes before opening a third multiplex would need to be considered, without affecting the picture quality of the current TV channels on the platform much. And if a third multiplex is being considered, there's a complication of the BAI approved cost model for how much broadcasters are charged that makes the potential cost of a channel launching on a new multiplex fairly expensive unless there are other broadcasters willing to add channels to it as so to spread costs.

The recent additions of Sky News & (soon to be) Challenge have been nice surprises. But nobody should be getting their hopes up of Saorview suddenly exploding with content any time in the future.

Post edited by TAFKAlawhec on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭marclt

Surely in value for money terms, there is an onus on Saorview to fill any spare capacity? To offset cost to the taxpayer?

Advertisement