Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Last of the Summer Wine

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Congrats on an amazing year D. You really are an inspirational runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

The main goal this week was to run every day and not to get too worked up over Sunday's Dublin Masters Cross Country race. 

Mon 2 Jan

70 mins easy on the local roads in Donegal. Very icy - nearly went on my ear at the top of a little slope, just spotting the black ice at the last minute and avoiding a near-certain spill.

Tue 3 Jan

10 mins easy + 10 mins gym + short swim.

In Galway for a funeral, just about managed a very short post-breakfast workout in the hotel leisure centre. 

Wed 4 Jan 

67 mins easy out to St. Anne’s after the long drive home from Shannon (the nearest crematorium to Galway, apparently). Have been in all four provinces in the past 60 hours. 

Thu 5 Jan

43 mins very easy around Drumcondra/Glasnevin. Annoyed by another footpath driver on Griffith Ave. Must not get too obsessed with bad motorists. 

Fri 6 Jan

72 mins easy out the coast to the Dollymount causeway, joined by M at the Wooden Bridge. Enjoyable catchup. 

Sat 7 Jan 

43 mins very easy including St. Anne’s parkrun, which I ran with G, shooting the breeze. @Ultraman100 was visiting - pinched my arse running past during his warmup.

Sun 8 Jan

Dublin Masters Cross Country

This is one of two races on the calendar that I’ve never missed since becoming a club runner in 2014. I probably mention this every year, but since I transferred to Raheny in 2018 I’ve always had a feeling of dread in the buildup to this race. It’s ridiculous really, because even though the club takes this event (held on home turf in St. Annes) very seriously, there are zero expectations on runners like myself beyond wearing the singlet and packing the field. But such is the level of home support that you are cheered the whole way around and you can’t take a sneaky little break at any point, you at least have to look like you’re giving of your best. And it’s a tough race anyway, coming where it does in the calendar when most of us are still half full of turkey and chocolate and beer.

I hadn’t been feeling great in the days leading up to the race - a bit lethargic, and a touch of gastric trouble in the middle of the Friday night. No lingering issues though. I was a bit edgy until I’d gotten into the race gear, finally feeling more relaxed on the drive over, parking outside St. Anne’s and saying hello to the legendary former Boardsie raycun on the way in. With both men’s and women’s events split into separate 35+ and 50+ races, it would be a bit different to the usual setup, and I wondered would there be enough people to chase in the older men’s race, which had 103 starters. I needn’t have worried though, it’s a decent field and quite a tight course in places and I wasn’t isolated at any point. 

As the starter was saying a few motivational words, I glanced down and noticed one of my laces undone, barely managing to get it tied before we were sent on our way. I had a decent starting position and was well settled by halfway around the first of the four laps. It felt like I was managing to progress modestly through the field, a few places per circuit (haven’t seen the usual lap by lap breakdowns myrunresults usually publish yet). The atmosphere was really electric, and I put in an honest if unspectacular effort. Picked my way slowly through the mid pack, having a bit of a ding dong with a few lads from Brothers Pearse, MSB and Clonliffe. A good fourth lap and a nice pickup at the end, passing an age category rival and two or three other runners in the home straight. A race always feels good when you do that, even if I hadn't been particularly strong throughout. Finished in 57th place out of the 103. Considering it’s quite a decent field of local club runners, that’s respectable enough. Placing and time suggests that if the races had been combined as they have previously been, I’d have finished about where I usually do, about two thirds of the way down the pecking order (rounding in my favour). 😉 

Although not anywhere near the various placings today it was nice to finally pick up my 3rd place team medal for last August’s Frank Duffy race (Dublin 10 mile championships). It’s not every day you get handed a medal by an Olympian!

A decent start to the racing year. Nice to say a quick hello to @Lambay island afterwards.

• This week: 63k (39 mi)
    • This month/year: 76 (47)

Post edited by Murph_D on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Thanks D, enjoyed that report. Always nice to have a few to battle it out with, especially when you can find the energy to pass a few at the finish. I noticed the standard was pretty high !

Thanks J - sorry you didn't make it today yourself, or at least I didn't see you on the course or in the results for your race.

Edit - never mind, just read your log. I think you're making the right decision re this week and next, no point in flogging it. Time to rebuild.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Nice to say hello again D, and as you mentioned above probably a better race now that its thinned out somewhat.

The course was in a fair state with the usual muddy spot not proving to bad.

I bet you are already looking forward to the Leinster XC ? 😀

• Advertisement

Thanks D - you'll notice my report left out the part where you passed me at the end of lap one, never to be reeled back in. 😉 Nice running yourself, looking strong. Yes, I did feel good enough about the race to throw my hat in the ring at then last moment for the Leinsters - see you there if you're doing it.

A bit of variety this week with a return to Donegal for a few days. Trying to get back to logging twice or three times a week rather than the weekly catch up thing.

Mon 9 Jan

Stopped off at Ballyshannon on the way to the Donegal base as I didn't want to be running in the dark. A few miles along the Assaroe reservoir at the edge of town, one of @OOnegative's favourite spots. The legs were heavy after yesterday's race. The run felt like a bit of a chore, so I decided that...

Tue 10 Jan

...would be a rest day, the first in 24 days I think. I don't do a lot of fast stuff, but sometimes rest is better than recovery.

Wed 11 Jan

An absolutely miserable day (as was yesterday). I had stuff to do, both inside and outside, and was either looking out at or in the thick of some pretty shite weather. At one point I was staring out at sheets of hail while a short thunderstorm raged, then I had a bit of maintenance to do in howling wind. It would have been easy to schedule another rest day but I had to go and visit someone and togged out to get the run done on the way home. Headed to Killybegs where there's about a mile and a half of street lighting, did a thirty minute sub-threshold run with 15 min warmup and cooldown. The rain returned about halfway through but as long as you've gone out in reasonable conditions it never feels too bad. Enjoyed this actually, clicking back into a familiar feeling effort, looking to keep HRR between 75-80%. More of these will be following.

In the way that you find your mind ruminating on certain things while running, I was reflecting on that team county bronze from last year's Frank Duffy that I'd picked up the other day. I have a few medals (mostly M50 team) at county, province and national level, but this was the first since 2017 and the first with a Raheny team, which is nice. M50 team medals are not particularly hard to come by if you're regularly on a club team with at least two reliably good scorers, but to get any sort of M50 medal in your 60s isn't too bad, I reckon. Anyway, I stuck it on the special hook I reserve for competitive bling.

• This week: 19k (12 mi)
    • This month/year: 94 (59)

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭babacool

I’ll “see” ya Sunday (i think if I read the entries correctly 😁)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Well done again on that medal, you should feel very proud 😁

Thu 12 Jan

40 mins recovery around by Collins Ave. Good to get out after the drive from Donegal.

Fri 13 Jan

No running. Knee deep in work stuff. Nothing to do with triskaidekaphobia. 😉

Sat 14 Jan

67 mins easy, incorporating Fairview parkrun followed by 5k out the coast with some strides.

Sun 15 Jan

Leinster Masters Cross Country - 126th place (of 136). 9th M60 (of 10)

Not a great result or performance but I am really happy to have done this race and lined out for the club on probably the toughest course I've ever run, short of an actual mountain run. It really is a great setup in Avondale Forest Park - big car park, toilets, good spectator facilities, and most of all an undulating course that certainly tests your mettle and conviction to finish the race without walking! There's a kind of uphill drag on nice springy turf to start, followed by a sharp descent through leaves and mud where you're just glad to stay on your feet. Then there's a sharp turn, a short out and back on good ground and back down the hill before another drag and a turn at the bottom before coming back up the other side of the course which is pretty much the same as you've just done, in reverse, including a b*tch of a hill over rutty ground before you're back on the springy turf. Then you do it all again. Lap one was all about staying on my feet, finding a rhythm, not getting too worried about being way back in near last position. On the second lap, it was really just between me and a MSB runner I'd been duking it out with last week in St. Anne's. I was getting close to him on the downhills and losing some ground on the drags. I passed him at last in the flattish section after the right turn, then found myself gaining on a clubmate who'd finished a few places in front of me last week. When I say gaining though, there wasn't much progress and I think he was aware of my presence and doing his best to not give me much hope. Finally though he blew up on the big hill and started run/walking and I blasted past, delighted with myself for putting a couple more lads between me and last position. And that was that, closing it out over the final little drop and turn before the uphill finish. Probably should have done a bit better, as one of the other lads I got the better of last week finished five places in front of me. Feckin' tough going! Loved it in the end though, when it was all over. 😀

Good to meet @babacool before the off, nice result from him too.

Great atmosphere and it felt good to be in the club colours on an away day for a change, some great results among the group including a storming performance from the M35 women and men. An excellent day out for the club. Nice to finish it off with a pint in Gaffney's with a few of the lads.

• This week: 46k (29 mi)
    • This month/year: 122 (76)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Well done D, sounds like you really toughed it out at the end of that race. I have nothing but admiration for anyone who throws themself into a challenge like this and digs deep the way you need to, given the conditions.

I would dearly love to give it a try some day..........just not now........😉

• Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Well done Murph.

I was looking out for you yesterday around the finish line but never managed to spot you. It was a very tough course alright that seemed to have everything - dangerous downhills, bog in a handful of places, slippy parts, solid parts, path and of course that bloody hill. I was thankful it was sheltered from the wind and that the rain held off.

Best description I heard for the route was that it was in the shape of a cross. I certainly felt crucified after coming up that hill on both occasions having to dig very deep to not walk there. Apparently, a few years ago it was 3 laps of a different route but that hill had to be climbed 3 times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Well done lads, enjoyed that read D. Fair play for toughing it out. @Dubh Geannain yes, different route for the National Masters there in 2020....first a short lap of 1k, then we had to go up that hill towards the end of each of the three 2k laps that followed ! Real cross country running in Avondale, at least it's fairly sheltered !

Funnily enough j was thinking to myself “why those out and backs? Skip them and you have a nice 2k Loop and are able to climb that wall 3 times” - I honestly would have preferred that 😂. That wall was pure fun

Ah, I should have realised you'd be around and kept an eye out for you. How was your race? Looks like a decent enough placing!

Your idea of fun, maybe, but you’re right, it’s certainly different from anything I’ve run (except Run The Line) and there’s nothing like a new experience. See Wubble’s post above - 3 laps used to be the the standard alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Looks can be deceiving 😃. Hoping it's just the cross country lack of experience and not post COVID blues.

I really enjoyed my day but expected to feel stronger and kind of hoped I'd be further up the field. 43rd overall. One of my teammates helped get me through the second lap when I started to feel it. The club came 5th which they were happy with at least.

This week I was in Gran Canaria on a short solo holiday. Yes, I know, I'm a lucky man. I'd have preferred if the missus had joined me but she had other priorities and waved me off, probably delighted to be rid of me for most of the week. Kept the runs off Strava til I got home, wanted to get away from social media as much as possible.

Mon 16 Jan

60 mins very easy

The airbnb was in pretty bland mass tourism surroundings, but near enough to some decent running routes, including the famous Maspalomas Dunes. Have travelled very light, only one pair of shoes, the old trail runners. They are very firm and not comfortable on the hard tiled footpaths. Crossed the dunes on this run, which was pretty difficult. Very windy on the exposed beach.

Tue 17 Jan

67 mins easy along local beaches and promenades. Late enough in the day, most of the beachgoers had gone home. Lots of outdoor dining on the promenades mean it sometimes feels like you are running through the actual restaurant.

Wed 18 Jan

87 mins very easy before breakfast. Enjoyed this one, in the opposite direction from yesterday. Definitely bored with the trail shoes by now though, as very little running has been on actual trails.

Thu 19 Jan

45 mins easy, the best part of it along the spectacular El Confital beach (a major surf destination, apparently, and it was obvious why from the roaring waves). It's not really a beach, as the water comes right up to that red post-volcanic earth that is common in the Canaries. The roar of the surf was deafening. A fairly wild and windy day up here in the Northern end of the island, after a spectacular drive over one of Gran Canaria's highest peaks. A wet and cool day in the mountains, very poor visibility but the cloud forests were very atmospheric. A beautiful island.

Fri 20 Jan

No running today. Instead I put the trail runners to better use on a pretty strenuous hike over a 510m mountain (that's three Howths) to Gui Gui beach, which is popular with the local teenagers who like to hike in and camp for a night or two. Was impressed with the size of some of the backpacks these young wans were lugging over the very steep trail. Only 5 kms but took over an hour and a half each way, with a refreshing dip in the middle. Unfortunately the tide was in which meant I couldn't get to the reportedly nicer part of the beach as it was cut off. Fantastic day.

Sat 21 Jan

50 mins easy before heading back to the airport. Enjoyed this little break, which got better as the week progressed. I like beaches, but get bored quickly. Here it is all about getting into the mountains, I reckon. Some very memorable vistas. A UNESCO biosphere reserve, where they have actually torn down a good bit of the beach tat in some areas. Hopefully will get a chance to discover it more at some point.

Sun 22 Jan

20 kms easy out to St. Anne's and Dollymount via the Howth Road and back through Clontarf. Legs were tired enough after the week's adventures. All easy running but the volume a bit better than the previous couple of weeks. Time to start adding a bit more structure though.

• This week: 69 kms (43 mi)
    • This month/year: 191 (119)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Lucky??? I'll say!! 😉

Sounds like a nice week away! What were the temperatures like over there?

How did I fail to mention that? Around 23-24 daytime, good bit cooler at night. Tricky enough to pack for and stay within the Ryanair carry-on limit, hence the trail shoes compromise!

• Advertisement

Back to reality yet again, and back to work as a new term begins. Hopefully will get a bit more out of the gym membership this year - if not the weights and machines, at least the pool and sauna. 😉

Mon 23 Jan

6 x 3 mins CV

After a week of easy running, this set of 3-minute repeats at around 5 mile pace felt pretty different. As usual, it took a couple of reps to get into it but it felt good (as in good for you) towards the end. A nice calm evening on the seafront helped. Certainly felt much much stronger than when I did this same session a few weeks ago in windy Killybegs. And while I'd normally do a session like this in the Saucony Speeds or at least the Zoom Flys, these were in my NB 1080s 'easy day' shoes, which felt fine.

Splits (pace/km): 4:20 4:18 4:10 4:13 4:11 4:08

Opened the Raheny 5 envelope today. Nice bib, colour coded green for the club. However not amused to see I’d been placed in the M65 category. Must get on to myrunresults! 😞

Tue 24 Jan

Just under 40 mins recovery around the usual Marino locations. Watched episode 2 of The Last of Us afterwards. Better than episode 1. Will give it another chance.

Wed 25 Jan 

Just over 50 mins easy around the South City before lunch. A nice soft morning, with a bit of cooling drizzle. Love those conditions, actually.

• This week: 26k (16 mi)
    • This month/year: 218 (135)

Already about 15 miles short of where I should be on track for the annual target. No matter, the mileage and time on feet will be increasing soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

I'd something similar with my run results but in an age category lower M45. I'm not sure how the age cats work but I'm 46 so it must be wrong. I emailed them but no reply, must get onto them again.

Good to hear about episode 2 of The Last of Us. I was a bit underwhelmed with the first one and I love a good zombie series or film.

Cracking consistency out of you as always, put the rest of us to shame so you do!

That's the right category: M45 means 45-49. I'm well under 65 myself though!

Edit: re Last of Us, I'm not a huge zombie fan and liked E2 become I felt it was less zombie-like (or at least zombie-different). But it's a fine line. ☠️

Thanks - everyday is a school day

I like a good end of world series as well as the zombies so hopefully e2 is good. Will watch it this weekend and make a call on it

Who needs zombie movies 🤣 just go to Phoenix park on a Sunday morning and you will find plenty of brainless maniacs running around over there 🤣🤣🤣

3am in Dublin city centre is the zombie apocalypse 🤣🤣🤣

OK, so where were we? I suppose this half of the week is a bit of a mini taper with Sunday's race in mind.

Thu 26 Jan

30 mins easy around Drumcondra. Very easy really. Maybe too easy.

Fri 27 Jan

40 mins easy out the coat to Vernon Ave. Hooked up with M who joined for the homeward leg. Logistics chat about Sun's race (M had a lot of marshalls to keep in line).

Sat 28 Jan

Stayed in bed and took a parkrun holiday. Had to to go up to the club in the afternoon with the mrs so I jogged home from there, 33 mins downhill.

Sun 29 Jan

Raheny 5 mile (33:51)

I'd been realising in the last few days what a bad idea it was to 'challenge' @Lazare to a race. What was I thinking? Anyway I tried to put it out of my mind as I got ready for the 3pm race start. I had a feeling the race would be a good event. There were a a lot of sign-ups. The course had been remeasured, and measured again. Spray paint had been sprayed prominently on turnabouts. Root and branch reviews. The conditions looked good, except the wind was up a bit more than you'd like.

I'd started the day wrangling goody bags into massive piles at the finish area at 7:45am. Some poor sod was going to have to guard the stash then for the rest of the day. The sun was barely up but the atmosphere was already crackling. Our clubmate Ronan of Myrunresults was setting up the gantry. Cones everywhere around the start/finish area and beyond to try to discourage parking on the course. There's only so much you can do, but it looked like the club was doing it.

I've marshalled the last couple of Raheny 5s so I didn't feel guilty about running it this year, although I probably could have helped a bit more with the preparations. Anyway, like everyone else I spent the day counting down the hours to the 3pm start. Had a decent lunch (pancakes!) just after noon. Then eventually drove over to meet @skyblue46 and @Laineyfrecks for a quick bag drop in the hall and a warmup in St. Anne's, jogging the last mile-and-a-bit of the course to eyeball the turnabout on the Avenue. Everything looked good and there were plenty of athletes zipping around the place. Bumped into Lazare and we were well placed to get a good place in the pen. Could have pushed right up to the cordon but we chose a not too ostentatious position. The 20 mins counted down quickly enough. I discarded a sacrificial layer (old Terenure 5 tee). C had estimated a 4:04 pace. This would not work for me and my only hope was if he blew up. This didn't seem very likely, so I didn't dwell too long on it. My own target was to be somewhere around my own PB (33:23) from this race three years ago, although there wasn't really much basis for expecting such a result.

On the siren, I set off a little hot, reluctant to let C off too lightly but soon copped on and settled back into something more appropriate. We weren't held up at all and apart from just being careful in the congestion, the going was good, although I hit a speed bump a little uncomfortably not far from the start which reminded me to watch my feet. Passed a woman on the ground on the first corner - hope she was ok, looked a bit rattled and I doubt she completed the race. Settled in, and when the first km beeped at around 4:10 I hardly looked at the watch again for the rest of the race. I wanted to try to feel my way around and there were plenty of visual references and targets.

In the second mile S eased past on All Saints Road looking as smooth as ever. I'd been expecting this, it's part of the race experience at this stage. E would probably not be far behind and sure enough she drew alongside on the short blustery Howth Road section. I didn't even have to look down, recognised the stride from the corner of my eye. It was tight here and not much room to get past people - there were already a few flagging runners. I was feeling OK but not great, looking forward to the downhill on Sybill Hill Road. E must have been looking forward to it too because she took an opportunity to dart through a gap and push on a bit.

I hate the next section down Mount Prospect to the park, it seems to last forever. I briefly sneaked ahead of E again, although not convincingly, just really the way the crowd was thinning out with gaps opening here and there. She pulled ahead again and I concentrated on a clubmate D, who was coming back to me. Passed him then noticed @MisterDrak just ahead. This surprised me, as initially I thought he was coming back too but it must have been the other way around and he'd actually passed me, possibly when I was concentrating on D. All this distracted as far as the bottom of the avenue and I girded myself for the awful up and down, not getting the kind of inspiration talked about by Lazare, especially as he was one of the speedy lads gliding past on the opposite side, offering a cheeky wave. A few of the lads were on the turnabout and gave some encouragement to kick on with just over a mile to go.

But I was kind of done. I hate the section past the dog park and up to the gate and it got to me. (It shouldn't - it's on the parkrun course, and whenever I'm pacing, people tend to fall off here on the second lap, so it's not like I haven't spent a lot of time trying to convince people that it's just a short little drag, nothing to worry about.) Once out the gate things got even worse with a good few runners streaming past, including a young clubmate, R, who'd been in the vicinity for much of the race. I was feeling awful here, and it wasn't til I got another kick up the arse from M at the bottom of Wade Ave, site of so many Winter League and Road Relay finishes, that I got a belated second wind. A clubmate B passed. Decided I wasn't having that and pushed determinedly past him again, with R in my sights as well. I knew I'd get away with a hard sprint around the last two bends and the finish straight and I was up on the toes for this, passing a good few as I finally found a bit of form. I'd even closed the gap on E but I spotted her up ahead putting in a sprint of her own and I was genuinely happy enough to have gotten the gap down to whatever it was, seven or eight seconds.

Took a moment on my knees past the finish line. C came over and offered some nice words. I could tell without asking that he'd had a great result, Fair play to him. Bumped into @MisterJinx in the goody bag line, then @AuldManKing on the shuffle back to the hall. We were both a bit bonked and deflated, maybe A more than me, there will be better days ahead!

Good to have a couple of pints afterwards and deconstruct the race with everyone. There's never a bad day when you're racing, and runners are the salt of the earth.

If you can't run well, at least look good - delighted with this picture from Deryck Vincent (some of ye will be sick of seeing it already). 😉

• Previous PB: 33:23 (Raheny 2019)
    • Target: 33:2x
    • Actual: 33:51
    • 643rd position (of 3,871)
    • 5th M60 (of 75)
    • VDOT: 48.3
    • AG: 78.8%
    • Verdict: On reflection, 2nd best 5-mile to date is not a bad result.

Well done to all who ran, and thanks for supporting our race.

• This week: 58 kms (36 mi)
    • This month/year: 250 (155)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Brilliant prose as always D, a fantastic report.

You should be so proud of your club, you guys put on such a wonderful event each year. Truly magical.

By the way, I put a lot of thought into that cheeky wave. 😀

I actually did, I wasn't sure what to do if I saw you, didn't want to look a d1ck, so I just waved hello.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Well done, great effort and attitude as always. Super shot - great arm action and you look so composed. It's no surprise though, I recall from the one and only time I had the pleasure of running behind you (and meeting you afterward), that you are indeed a lovely looking runner 😉

Post edited by ariana` on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Great stuff D, great report and well done on executing a well run race. As you say the Mount Prospect section seems endless and does drag a bit before the right turn along the park. You were running smooth and well when I caught you and Dave the Ref...

Agree that the day was a great success, from the Organization, Marshaling, route to the run in, all top class.

Great Pic also :)

Advertisement