Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW 2022 Assistant Principal Competition - Open and Interdepartmental

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Curranjo

Its the only reason i can think of. No harm in letting them know. Your score of 145 on the open is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 donoghues

Got my results - failed on numerical didnt pass the qualifying score Again!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 donoghues

Well I failed the numerical Again!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Andbelt

Hi all I emailed pas just heard back that 400 candidates are in the first batch for the shortlisting for Dublin. Thats for the open stream

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Vinoveritas29

Well you got more information than me, fair play to you.... I got the "we will be in touch in due course"....nothing answer....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Stickmam

So does that mean that anyone with OOM of over 400 hasn’t made the cut for shortlisting or does it mean that of those that got scores over 1159, only 400 were for Dublin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭joinme

Very similar outcome here too (except I'm not currently CS). I'd also be interested on any advice how I may have messed up the situational? Thought it was stronger than numerical and verbal but I scored very high on both of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 CS2023

Hi everyone, I'm not sure how all this works so I'd be delighted if anyone could advise me,

• I am on the Open and Interdepartmental panels, does that mean I get interviews for both?
    • I choose Dublin and Westmeath. It looks like Dublin will come up first and I will take it if it does but if I wasn't to pass an interview for Dublin would I also have an interview for Westmeath?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 DonutLike

No it just means they are going to shortlist the top 400 in the first batch.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭80sbaby

Does anyone know if the oom issued today is based on the county choice or the whole country. Just wondering if it's overall, when do the county breakdowns come?

Do you think are the first 3 counties up, because there are vacancies there, or is it the number of applicants for this regions are higher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭furrybones

Assuming this comp is run the same way as others....

No, you interview once. If Dublin comes up first you will be asked to decide if you want to interview for Dublin, or if you want to hold out for your other county (not in those words - you'll be sent an expression of interest for Dublin or Westmeath, which ever comes up first) Once you interview for one county you are taken off the panel of the other county.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"

Thank you for the reply. Is that the same for the Open and Departmental competitions? If for example, the Interdepartmental interview comes up first and I do that does that mean there is no further interview for the Open?

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭furrybones

Again, only one interview. If you pass the interview you may be placed in your current department via the interdepartmental, or to another department via the open.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"

Thank you.

Is there some sort of ratio for appointments, Internal Competition:Open Competition: Interdepartmental Competition: Mobility/Transfers?

I heard someone mention it before and obviously, that would have a knock-on effect on what positions come up. I'd imagine Dublin is the safest bet as there are so many Departments compared to Westmeath.

I seem to remember a document that circulated with recent appointments in each region. Has anybody got a link to this?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭agnena

The OOM issued today is an overall. The OOM by county will issue after the interview only.

The shortlisting for 3 counties indicates that they have/anticipate vacancies in those counties and are starting with them. They still have people on the county panels from the AP 2021 competition, and those panels are still active.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭durthacht

July - from the 2021 AP booklet: "It is not envisaged that appointments will be made from this competition after 31 July 2023"

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Board.surf

Download this file linked below and below the table listing all the counties it advises you to click "here". That's the file you're looking for.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://assets.gov.ie/238446/84dbddd1-dd4a-49cb-b246-ac65e2bbabc4.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwj_zZ_y-uX8AhXSmFwKHToUCz4QFnoECA8QAQ&usg=AOvVaw2gcZOGWtlYMLxY5pAQdkgz

Thank you. Looking at a post you had in another thread combined with that table, it might be wise to go with Dublin. It's a much better option than it was pre-Covid, as it's most likely there'd be an option of working from home part of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭the_freaky_one

My advice is for the next set of online testing purchase a set of practice tests like the below as that's the most efficient way to pull up your scores..

https://www.jobtestprep.co.uk/irish-civil-service-assistant-principal-prep?utm_gclid=CjwKCAiA5sieBhBnEiwAR9oh2pN4KTagcGmAEv6QMIKkZaJA42TaZ14AAVow_3jfpNTdL4wYfkAWrxoCQVQQAvD_BwE&utm_keyword=&utm_pos=&utm_matchtype=&utm_device=m&utm_ad_id=&utm_campaign_id=15856710925&gclid=CjwKCAiA5sieBhBnEiwAR9oh2pN4KTagcGmAEv6QMIKkZaJA42TaZ14AAVow_3jfpNTdL4wYfkAWrxoCQVQQAvD_BwE

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3 chazkeogh20357

I’ve selected Clare/limerick….. looking at that table makes me feel this whole process was a waste of time!! 🙄 😡

• Registered Users Posts: 3 chazkeogh20357

Table

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭res1

Hi All

In case people want to get a possible timeline of things from a previous open AP competition that I did for Dublin in 2018 and which I scraped passed all the online tests. The results came out in October and the first batch was called for shortlisting with the application. (Like today for those that scored 1159+ for Dublin) I missed out that time by about 100 points similar to today. The following March in 2019 they called the second batch and I got culled by my application which let me down. Doesnt really matter cos the interview could have been a blow out too. More unfortunately for me I actually did an internal AP comp and got placed however the panel expired with me next in line....**** happens. The Order of Merit (OOM) will change for you if your in the batch being shortlisted by application and if half of these are culled for example your OOM will obviously increase.........but then you have to do the interview :))) then further culling (apologies to keep using this word). If you have qualified to apply through both the open and internal comps your OOM will change for both. Also for those not in Civil Service long enough or never, by the way when this competition comes up and if I think .. your are in the CS 2 years ( someone can correct me ???) then you submit the application just once but tick the box twice. So that almost give you 2 routes through if you pass all the shortlisting and interview.

Anyway good luck to all well done to those that got through first batch, fingers crossed for those of us with still chance and most importantly to those that did not pass today keep going you will get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭RedNiamhy

Yes, one for the open competition and one for the interdepartmental.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭OUTOFSYNC

How do they do the shortlisting?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Board.surf

Hi all,

Alot of the information and answers to questions around shortlisting, most of the jobs being in Dublin etc. is in the original pack as linked below:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/05KS3AAEV1G0/22434207-final-22434207-assitant-principal-2022-information-booklet.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwiV6KHXruf8AhWJTcAKHbsqD5UQFnoECDEQAQ&usg=AOvVaw3vbuTagn3BLCaoZo80fmIJ

I wasn't clear on it all (all of it) over the last few competitions to my own detriment. It's definitely advisable to take all the information within this serious in advance of applying. It will save you worry and wasted time in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Gargoyle711

Thanks, that's very helpful. I'm not in the CS. Did the 2018 process and got through to the in-centre assessments and while I passed those didn't get a high enough OOM to progress. My score in this one is similar to your own, missed out by a little over 100 - I do think that if I got to having my application read I would get an interview, so I will remain hopeful that it's not over yet for this process. Well done to everyone who got through - this is a very competitive and crude selection process. The thread has been really helpful so thanks to everyone for their contributions and good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭the_freaky_one

Attempted a summary below as it is a confusing process and completely open to corrections and i will edit:

Application forms submitted

Open stream – open to everyone both inside and outside of the civil service

Interdepartmental stream – open only to civil servants with a minimum of 2 years’ service and satisfactory PMDS

Online Testing

Required to pass all three tests, Numerical Analysis, Verbal Analysis and Situational Judgement (Maximum score 800, Qualifying Score 390)

Only Verbal Analysis and Situational Judgement count towards your total score by adding both totals together

Your Order Of Merit is where you rank on either/both streams based on your total score compared to everyone else score

The second stage, the list is split into batches – it seems this one was ~400 people and probably where the cut of mark of 1159 (for Dublin) comes from (i.e. person ranked #400th had a score of 1159)

Shortlisting stage

The 400 people who had a score of 1159+ (for Dublin) will be part of short listing (for both streams in parallel?)

Short Listing will comprise of reviewing applications forme and short listing based on that

Assuming there may be a number of applicants on the Interdepartmental stream that are not eligible (i.e. not a civil servant or have the required number of years’ service) and will be disqualified at short listing stage

One way video and interview stage

I understand previously if short listed, you then complete a 1 way video interview, answering 3 questions provided, recording your answers which are 3 minutes long each

I assume those who are successful after this stage will be short list for interview and those who are not will end at this stage.

Interview stage for those who are short listed (not sure if a presentation is required?)

Placed on a panel

Those who are successful in the interviews will be placed on a panel and provided a new OOM on one or both streams.

Applications are offered positions by OOM until (I assume) the list is nearly exhausted and then (I assume) they look to batch two and start the process again with either the same number in batch 2 (400) or a smaller number

Napkin calculations (this is completely made up for fun, I didn’t get into batch 1 so those who did check my math’s)

400 selected in batch 1 in both Open and Inter streams

There will be a subset of the same people in both

So for example the inter stream:

10% probably ineligible for inter department straightaway (not a CS or served 2 years) 400-40=360

60% of remainder go forward for one way interview stage 360-144 =216

60% of remainder go forward for interview 216-86= 130

50% of remainder go on a panel 130-65=65

5 offers per week (1 per day) = 13 weeks until panel is exhausted

Trigger Batch 2 and repeat again 😊

In 2018 the below article warned of a retirement cliff in in 5 years which is now 2023, keep the faith as there many be many gaps to fill this time round 👍

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/civil-service-is-on-the-brink-of-retirement-cliff-union-chief-says-36936859.html

Post edited by the_freaky_one on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭countyireland12345

I have looked at this again. My original question still stands because the numerical test does not factor into the total score calculation. The total score is calculated using the verbal and SJ tests only.

Advertisement