Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Fair enough. Been a while since I used the trains here but I had (mistakenly) come to understand they had become too pricey for value.

I do miss the former interconnectedness of Ireland, even if I am too young for those regional rails that were deemed uneconomical.

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Registered Users Posts: 25,669 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Trains in Ireland are cheaper than getting the bus now.

Limerick to Dublin Thursday next week is €15 or €17 on busier times as the tickets sell out(max €25 if booked last min)

A similar length distance on the same day London to Leeds is min €46 going up to €130 for 1 way.

You will pay €26 to €40 for the 1 hour trip to Brighton.

National Express is very cheap in comparison. €5 to Brighton or €10 to Leeds compared to €15 to Dublin. And with a guaranteed toilet too unlike Irish buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭rock22

@breezy1985 'compared to the UK. (maybe I lived in the UK too long)'

There's your problem . UK rail prices have become outrageously expensive since privatisation.

The Ryanair style sliding scale they use is disgusting for "public" transport.

How can the same train go from €30 to €130.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Suella stands by her dehumanising language when questioned by holocaust survivor Joan Salter about it. The Home Office have demanded that the video is taken down but the charity behind it, Freedom From Torture, refuses to do so...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Portchy

Isn't that a bit misleading from an Irish perspective though?

Rail privatisation is essentially an extension of the EU railways directives which allow for competition on the rail networks of each country. I believe Ireland is currently under pressure from the EU to open out the running of train network to private companies, as they did with the Luas and are currently dong with the bus network.

EU directives have nothing got to do with the state of trains in the UK.

Most EU countries have fantastic and cheap or even sometimes free trains so the price gouging in the UK can't be linked to the EU.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Portchy

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Mod Note

Portchy site-banned for re-registering to evade earlier sitebans

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

The problem is though, for all the faults of the privatisation system in the UK, giving the DfT more control is not the answer either because the DfT's micromanagement behind the scenes (which Joe public doesn't see and blames the operators for) is a large part of the problem as they have no clue whatsoever what they are doing.

In the last 12-18 months the DfT have got to the point where they run pretty much every line and make almost every single decision, small, medium or large about the train service in the UK, yet the operators, who have even less say since Covid than British Rail did when they existed, get the flack because it's politically convenient for it to be that way.

We've recently saw a modern, reliable fleet scrapped after less than half their service life because of the recent clueless rolling stock policies of the DfT and may be very soon likely to see the most reliable train class almost every year for the last 15 years scrapped also after half it's working life, because the DfT wants to save a few quid by order of central government. That's how dysfunctional things have got.

The privatised system in the UK in reality ended 18 months ago. Whilst private companies are still technically running the trains, they have no decision making power practically at all anymore operationally as the DfT dictates and they follow. It's honestly the worst of both worlds but what it does allow the DfT to do is to deflect the blame onto all their failings for someone else.

I'd be all for the UK to have a proper, publicly owned railway, but everything I have seen over the past 18 months shows that whilst the idea is all well and good, the DfT in the UK are even less adept at delivering a proper rail service than the so called evil privateers.

And would it be the DfTs fault that a train to Leeds is over 100e ?

Generally most lines run very well and lines that are disasters are surprise surprise run by the same operators. I don't see how DfT can be blamed for the Southwestern disaster for instance.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

The DfT is fully in control of fares for most of the country for a while now as due to COVID almost all of the train operators are on essentially management contracts where the department calls the shots on practically everything and they just obey.

If you're talking about trains between Leeds and London, well the fare for that route pre COVID was set by LNER, who are run by a subsidiary of the Department for Transport who could have done something between 2018 and COVID, but chose not to, so yes this is down to the DfT.

If the UK had a proper National Rail Operator, with proper rail people who knew what they were doing I'd all be for such a single system to replace what came before but the simple fact is that whilst the Dft might not be profit driven, they are absolutely clueless when it comes to running a railway.

In the last 18 months, all we have seen since the DfT have taken more of a hands on role, is that they've solved none of the existing problems, haven't done anything meaningful about fares and simply added to the problems that were already and are employing an absolutely ridiculous rolling stock management and allocation system to try and teach the ROSCOs a lesson, regardless of the impact that it has on train services and passengers.

You don't have to take my word for it, the National Audit Office investigated the DfT's two massive rolling stock programmes that they took over from operators thinking they know better (ThamesLink and Intercity Express Program) and found them to be completely incompetent at managing such contracts.

As I said, privatisation of the UK Rail system didn't work, but anyone thinking that the answer is to give the mandarins in the DfT more power is completely mistaken. The DfT themselves are a large part of the problem because they are full of career politicians and civil servants who have no idea at all about the railway. Most of them probably never even use the train.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The irony is that those services were subsidised in part by operations in the UK. Most of non re-nationalised (defacto) railways were owned or run by EU state owned railway companies and/or by sovereign wealth funds.

I knew there was churn but didn't realise this much https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_companies_operating_trains_in_the_United_Kingdom#Defunct_operating_companies

Sail/Rail is cheaper than rail over the same distances but see this page for travel inside the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,690 ✭✭✭serfboard

Day after day come more revelations of how absolutely rotten the Tories are. The latest involves the current chairman of the BBC, Richard Sharp (Rishi Sunak's former boss at Goldman Sachs), and Boris Johnson. Johnson recommended Sharp for the job as chairman of the BBC. However, in the weeks before he was recommended, Sharp "helped to arrange a guarantee on a loan of up to £800,000 for Boris Johnson".

There's been stories before about Boris Johnson claiming that the Prime Minister's salary wasn't enough for him. In late 2020, he "was in financial trouble as he faced divorce payments, childcare costs and bills for the refurbishment of his Downing Street flat". So, Sharp became "involved after meeting Sam Blyth [a Canadian multimillionaire], an old friend, for dinner at the businessman’s home in West London. Blyth is said to have raised the idea of acting as the former PM’s guarantor for a loan and asked Sharp for advice."

So, we're supposed to believe that Sharp meets Blyth for dinner, and Blyth raises the idea of being involved as a guarantor for a loan for the Prime Minister? Holy God - it's a primary school-level explanation.

Anyway, Sharp then "introduced Blyth to Simon Case, the cabinet secretary ... The three men had dinner at Chequers ... all denied discussing Johnson’s finances." Ah jaysus, it's getting ridiculous now.

Apparently, the government's application form says: "You cannot be considered for a public appointment if ... you fail to declare any conflict of interest". Before Sharp's appointment was announced, "the Cabinet Office’s propriety and ethics team wrote a formal letter telling Johnson to stop speaking with Sharp about his personal finances, citing the forthcoming BBC appointment". Sharp, "did not disclose his involvement with the then-prime minister’s finances to the panel who interviewed him for the role." Furthermore, "the matter was not disclosed during his pre-appointment hearing before a House Of Commons select committed in February 2021".

In The Simpsons, Mayor Quimby's seal of office reads "Corruptus In Extremis". The Tories aren't far behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭PommieBast

@serfboard

Day after day come more revelations of how absolutely rotten the Tories are.

After the lords vetting committee was overruled to give Peter Cruddas a baroncy I stopped keeping track of this stuff.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/120141695/#Comment_120141695

Tory party chairman Nadhim Zahawi has claimed that errors with his taxes were 'careless, not deliberate'.

Yeah, I can sympathise. Like that time last year when I accidentally set up a shell company in the Cayman Islands, lent it my entire year's income in the form of shares, failed to repay it and wrote the lot off as a tax loss before selling the shares back to myself for a quid. Could happen to anyone.

The above satire could well be true - https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-64360260 - however, Balshore Investments is registered offshore in Gibraltar.

A source familiar with the payment told the Guardian a penalty was triggered as a result of a non-payment of capital gains tax due after the sale of shares in YouGov, the polling company Zahawi co-founded.

Just a reminder that despite the name YouGov has nothing to do with the government.

Just like the GPDPR has nothing to do with the GDPR which protects your data, while the former allows NHS data to be sold off to US wealthcare healthcare

• Registered Users Posts: 18,483 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The level of corruption inside the Tory Party and with their numerous press pals is off the scale. Bertie Ahern and his bank accounts would be in the ha'penny place compared to these guys (I think the sums of money involved with him were amounts like €15k and €30k).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Ahwell

On the plus side, Johnson's testimony to the parliament’s privileges committee is going to be televised live. Although I suspect what we will see most of is what kind of lawyer £130,000 will buy you. All of which will be paid by by the Cabinet Office.

Post edited by Ahwell on

"Wiffle waffle spaffy waffy misquoted Shakespeare, look at me I have my floppy posh boy hair on"

That's what we are gonna get. That and a lack of justice as the tie boys circle round one of their own.

• Advertisement

Note how the right wing press absolutely despise the BBC and yet are barely even reporting a story about dodgy links between the current BBC chairman and Johnson.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

In fairness the Parliamentary Liasion Committee which he appeared in front of on the Wednesday of his resignation week was superb - 150 minutes of on point questions from all sides and no waffle answers allowed. Obviously it was totally overshadowed by the events taking place around it. But if this committee is run in the same way then his waffle waffle stuff won't get far.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,462 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I've been catching up on the Zahawi thing. I'm not even remotely surprised at this point. Meanwhile, Kelvin said the quiet part out loud:

I read a book about the Bertie years a while back and, while this is a bit of cheeky comment, you're not wrong either. Bertie was at least smart enough to spend it.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

I guess this would be a fairly typical Conservative voter in 2023. But it just about shows the calibre of voter they are trying to appeal to - they have long since given up trying to govern for 'the people'.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,447 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Erm...is that crazy Anne Widdecombe on that panel?

Yes, that's her. Didn't she actually leave the Conservatives in fact and join Farage's Brexit Party. Not sure what she's doing on promoting her former party, the one she walked out on.

Two things.

1. She is an idiot. An absolute idiot.

2. Saying that will lead certain people to tut-tut about my attitude and play the victim despite the clear idiocy of that woman.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Given the age we can infer her to be, seems likely she has seen a necessary (or not) hospital appointment cancelled or deferred because of the striks. And thus feeling resentful workers have the nerve to strike over shítty conditions, and a degree of parity with inflation. That's not to excuse her attitude but I'd speculate that might be its origin. A close friend is a GP and by all accounts OAPs are the most ornery to deal with, by what she says.

Her little snide remarks about how key workers are earning 3 times the lady's pension is also instructive. It's not about the Tories, it's her being bitter others (and foreigners too! Though that's me projecting, obviously) might be doing better than her.

Pensions. Whatever way you come at them, they're the 500 pound gorilla.

Imagine saying keeping Labour out of power is her priority - after them being in opposition for 13 years and a general election still two years away (!)

You'd wonder just what the Tories would have to do to alienate her.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,462 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I once asked my brother what Unionism had achieved since the partition. His response was "keeping Sinn Féin out". It's an old mentality, that and it's not going to be change via debate. We've had scandal after scandal after scandal at this point. I can barely be bothered to look into the Zahawi thing at the moment. I was enjoying the break.

That makes sense. The 500 pound Gorilla is feeling malnourished and is getting somewhat rancorous though.

Regarding pensioners, I recall a co-worker working in a polling station in East Sussex. She said she was spat at, abused and accused of altering ballots by various pensioners. It's odd how the alleged wisest of us are just as susceptible to the same tribalism and tropes.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Advertisement