Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enoch Burke turns up to school again despite sacking - read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Well either you’re wrong about that WD comment or I’ve been lucky for the past 20 years because I’ve never had a virus in my life.

anyone complete aside.

Are you incapable of doing your own research?

If so, here is a handy booklet.

Schools and the Equal Status Acts PDF

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

So I assume a school in south Dublin is teaching this and if not it's being enforced. I would like to see the video of that encounter.

I did not mention it it's up to the people saying to provide and they did I thank them for that service.

• trust me I would know.

anyway as for the actual thread topic; namely you asked about the equal status act and I can confirm the act extends to all private schools. Religious or otherwise. You are not allowed to deny anyone access to education based on their gender or sexual orientation.

• Advertisement

• Okay there’s a big difference between what’s in the national curriculum and school admission policies isn’t there?

no school is obliged at present to teach students about LGBT anything. That is set to change in the future and be included in sex ed as I understand. Once it becomes part of the national curriculum all schools will be required to teach it whether they like it or not.

your religious affiliation is irrelevant. Catholics don’t believe in contraception but it was taught when I was in school both primary & secondary. How the parish priest felt was irrelevant.

That's a grey area though. I was speaking more of stuff coming down the line now. How will the sex education syllabus be enforced. Take a Christian brother school, Mormons, Evangelicals, Muslims. Is the Protection from the constitution going to be removed. And if not how do you deal with non compliance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,857 ✭✭✭sporina

i think he has - his parents... though I know - he is an adult now - but seems he's been brainwashed his whole life

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭kazamo

maybe do some crowdfunding and buy him a little hut he can sit in when it’s raining ……we could sell advertising space on the hut to fund his 700 a day habit

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

All sorts of nonsense mad red herrings. Schools teach about abortion, contraception, divorce, LGBTQ+ issues already.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• There’s no line in the constitution which states or even implies the right to deny a child to an education in line with the national curriculum regardless of your religious affiliation.

The protections to religious freedmen afforded by the constitution do not supersede the laws of the land. A good example would be multiple marriages those are not allowed in Ireland but that does not mean you’re free to do so because you’re Muslim here. That’s not meaning you’re not free to practice your religion just you don’t get to break the law in the name of it.

So no matter how many times you ask or how many different ways you confuse the national curriculum with the Equal Status Act and school admission policies when it becomes part of the curriculum it will be taught regardless of which God you call your school after.

As you have often done, you are equivocating your lack of knowledge or understanding of a topic as a basis for a false equivalence and keep repeating your argument ad nauseum to the point of trolling. On that basis I'm just going to keep reporting your trolling from this point on

By all means, educate yourself on the topic instead, it would certainly raise the level of conversation

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭FoxForce5

Omg, you said there were no entitlements in the Irish constitution and there is literally one in the 2nd article. Maybe leave the law lectures to those who bother to read it like Enoch and Ammi.

It's not a false equivalence that all schools should be compliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,527 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Well if either knew the law they wouldn't have got laughed out of court.

My point is Religion should not come into it what ever flavour it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,527 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Thread is actually about a former teacher who got himself fired over being a gobshìte and is still lurking around the school.

I can see how the title is very confusing. Explains your constant issue and repition.

No the thread is about a man who had an argument over LGBT issues in public with a principal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

All this talk about the equalities Act/trans gender/LGBT etc is a complete red herring and strawman. If Burke really believes this there are lots of valid legal avenues to challenge this.

A bigger issue and the core problem from the start is that Enoch Burke thinks the law of the land does not apply to him. If you read what he's said over the last 6 months or so, something that keeps coming up is that he believes that the courts have no authority over him because of his beliefs. It's why he hasn't gone through the effort of challenging his original problem via the appropriate avenues.

That means this is not going to end well for because it would set a precedent that if you hold out long enough you can ignore court orders. It's a direct challenge to the authority of the state. That's not going to be tolerated.

• I agree they are irrelevant. The poster was confused about these things so I rectified their confusion.

As for Burke you have absolutely nailed it frankly. He is not going to get away with this because as you pointed out he’s setting a precedent for this behaviour being tolerated if you can stomach the media attention and few months in prison.

What’s honestly even more frightening is the precedent of idea being set that being disciplined by your work is not an issue or something to respect. You’ll have workplaces with loons showing up for jobs they were sacked from and basic workplace respect would be out the window for those who’ve demonstrated— on this very thread that basic respect to fellow people is “woke” and “couldn’t be me” type attitudes.

It won’t end well because it can’t end well. The damage to the High Courts own reputation and authority at the very least would be irreparable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,898 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

"Argument" implies two people involved. Teachers argue with principals all the time.

The words you're looking for are "harassment and intimidation".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭paul71

Pretty much any gobshite can be taught to read, comprension is a different matter. Enoch and Ammi demonstrate this admirably in their utterly pathetic and comical performances in our courts.

Very true but if a poster is going to "quote scripture" at others they better know their stuff. Claiming the know that there are no entitlements in the Irish constitution despite article 2 being an entitlement shows a distinct lack of knowledge. Methinks Ammi would do slightly better.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,339 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

One more reason for kicking religion out of State education.

Here's what I said:

What is being challenged here are his religious ''entitlements" '

You just decided to completely ignore that, focus in on the word 'entitlements' and run with the first thing you saw with the word and hope I didn't notice.

Well, I did.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭paul71

Methinks Ammi could not get 2 words into a sentence without launching into a screaming diatribe.

Actually what you said was "And there is no clause in the Constitution that protects entitlements.". You said "entitlements" not "religious entitlements". You've been "caught rapid" as they say in multyfarnham.

Post edited by FoxForce5 on

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,136 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

xxxxxxl threadbanned

edit - upgraded to permanent siteban

Post edited by Beasty on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Personally I wouldn't have sacked Enoch Burke for the row he had with the Principal at the school function. Disciplinary action certainly, followed by a lesser sanction than dismissal would have been what I would have given him. Maybe a written/final written warning. If he continued to act the boll1x, then I'd have started further disciplinary action with sacking on the table.

That said, his acting the boll1x after the suspension leaves me with no sympathy for him. Absolutely none. I've no problem with the book being thrown at him. He was actually in a winning position in court where the Judge as about to give him his injunction against the School if he said he'd abide by the School's injunction to stay away but his feckin mouth screwed him out of that victory.

I would like to be wrong but I can see Burke being somewhat successful in court as the School may not have followed procedure in that they drew up a report that had findings and conclusions in it without getting Burke's side of the story so that may be a flawed report and it's based on that report that the disciplinary committee decided he was guilty and should be dismissed. Another thing in Burke's favour is that the report may have been discussed at a meeting prior to the disciplinary meeting. This would be a no no as Burke should be present at such a meeting and he wasn't invited. This mightn't be the correct analogy but it's akin to discussing the evidence with the jury before the defendant and his legal team are there to determine if what's being discussed is correct.

The two things I've mentioned seem like small things but the onus is on the School to follow procedures to the letter and it looks like there's a slight chink in their armour there.

Will Burke want his job back or would he rather a heap of compensation? I don't think he'd be happy with any amount of money. I reckon he wants his job back so that he can 'stick it to the man'. Will he get his job back? He has about the same odds of that happening as I have of being elected the next Pope.

Even if he wins everything he wants, I wonder where he'll go from there because I doubt any school would touch him with a barge pole.

Advertisement