Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - Part 3 - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,128 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

I find it mind boggling that FF ( according to this poll ) have gained 4%.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Blut2

For a lot of FG voters FF are a relatively safe/attractive place to migrate their vote to - FF are currently the less incompetent, less corrupt, and less heartless (towards homeless/poor people/etc) of the two parties. But while still not being as left wing as SF or the SocDems or anyone else who those voters mightn't feel like moving to for policy reasons.

The two parties are mostly in competition with each other for the same 30-35% of the electorate in the upcoming election now.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Not surprising FG % is falling like steel girders. There was very little of note in the recent budget for their core base- in fact they whalloped on more taxes to company car users, plenty of whom would be traditional FG voter base.

My January pay slip showed nothing of note anyhow. PRSI how up slightly I think. From what I can make out I’ve seen a truly amazing €20 per month reduction in PAYE- Pascal is such a financial genius indeed.

So much for Leo’s “Rewarding those that get up in the morning” claptrap. This is a hard left high welfare high tax shambles of a government- and FG support it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

You can see what the difference is here https://www.pwc.ie/issues/budget-2023/income-tax-calculator.html

For someone on 40k a year, they should get an extra 831 a year, 69 a month. You should be paying the same PRSI as last year, assuming your income has stayed the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Thank you. There was some BIK included in my payslip for this month which may have had an impact on the net figure so. I would be paying at the higher rate

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

The Rascal may need to go 4% Drop. The next one is going to be terrible to behold. I don't think the anger of the refugee situation has properly filtered though yet. Would not be surprised of a 10% drop in some of the parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,648 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I see that opinion polls have become newsworthy again, surprise, surprise.

As always, some fluctuations in support, but the key point was once again missed completely by the experts.

Just past the midpoint of the electoral cycle and the government are at 49% in the polls. By any historical standard, here or abroad, that is the type of support that leads to them being re-elected.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,326 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

When Martin resigns the new FF leader will want to reassert some sense of FF as a party.

Looking increasingly unlikely he will do that before the next election, and it's hard to see the party summoning up the backbone to force him out, unless they collapse in the polls.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,326 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

If he was intending to do that I'm convinced he would have given some indication round the taoiseach/tanaiste handover, thus heading off any risk he would be dragged out of the FF leadership kicking & screaming...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

B&A's methodology always favours FF as it uses face to face polling. FF's supporters tend to be in the older demographics and don't like phone or online polling. RedC uses a 40K panel to provide its sample as it thinks that these people are representative of the electorate. It also has demographic and location data on the panel. A RedC poll may be due this weekend. That's the one to watch because it had FG on one of its lowest support levels ever before Christmas. FG could be facing some real problems based on the B&A poll. Most of the polls over the last six months or so have been quite stable and movements have been within the Margin of Error.The B&A poll's movement for FG and FF was out side the MoE (+/- 3.3%).and it was carried out when the Paschal Donohoe fiasco was only starting. It may have been a backlash against Damien English's activity.

The Greens are also in trouble due to the surge in bogus asylum seekers mainly from the war-torn UK and the lack of accommodation for genuine refugees from Ukraine. Water melon (Green on the outside and Labour on the inside) Greens have caused a lot of resentment for the Greens and they stand to lose most of their TDs in the next GE. What is surprising about the B&A poll is that Labour has absolutely failed to make any advance under Bacik and the Sunday Times had an article about discontent in Labour over Bacik's rule. Even RTE, a great supporter of Labour and Labourites, has more or less sidelined Labour as a fringe party.

It has been a bad few weeks for FFG and the danger is that the next few polls should show a growing resentment of the arrogance of FG. The problem for FF is that it has a wannabe FGer as leader who grovels to FG at every opportunity and it may not be able to take advantage of any increase in support. It may also be a kind of post-Christmas rebound as the dossers in the Dail were on holidays until recently. If there is an increase in SF's support in the next RedC poll then the FFG supporters in the media and its meatbots on Social Media may become even more unhinged especially if SF is anywhere near 40% in the next few polls.

Regards...jmcc

Post edited by jmcc on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭howiya

Interesting stuff from the Oireachtas committee yesterday

Healthcare is held back by paper-based records as funding yet to be approved for switch to electronic system – HSE - Independent.ie

He told the Oireachtas health committee that a business case made to the Department of Public Expenditure in 2018 to fund the extension of digitalisation was turned down on the grounds it was necessary to see how the system works in the new national children’s hospital first although it will not be ready until next year.

He said that in 2018 and 2019 the HSE sought approval procurement national electronic health record system from the Department of Expenditure and Reform.

“This work would have included an electronic health record for acute and community services and provided a portal for patients to access their data.“

Approval was deferred in 2019 until a review of the outcomes of the new national children’s hospital which was approved, was completed.

---------------

That's the FG legacy...

Seems they are trying to ban protesting now. Making residential meaning 2 people inside. So hotels everything Will be off limits even if your outside on the street. That means regardless if it's intimidation or not It will be Illegal.

Great summation JMCC.

let’s hope You ain’t far out. I was a labour supporter all my life. After the Gilmore/Burton shenanigans I’d have thought they’d be dead & buried. How anyone gives them a vote has very short memories.

As for the greens? I won’t waste any space on them.

That is really helpful, not.

What effect does a motion in the Seanad have?

The Greens have a kind of identity crisis at the moment. The topics for which they've campaigned for decades have become mainstream and have been adopted by the major parties. The implosion of Labour in 2016 also ensured that the Greens picked up a lot of water melon (Green on the outside and Labour on the inside) supporters and votes. Some of them split from the Greens to form their own party (Green Left) but haven't been heard from since. The Greens have a dedicated and almost ideological support base that will keep voting for Green candidates but it is not a Left wing party. The SocDems are beginning to pose a big threat to Labour and Bacik and co are desperate to get their claws into SocDem votes. The problem is that SocDem voters are often younger and despise Labour. The upcoming Local Elections will be interesting.

Regards...jmcc

Post edited by jmcc on

• Advertisement

I am in my 60’s so not young. But I also regard myself now as a Social Democrat supporter. When it comes to health issues Roisín Shortall comes across as very articulate.

So Bacik & her Labour Party, I have a message for you: you blew it with the likes of Gilmore/Burton/Rabbitte. Never again will I vote for your lot.

Another record broken by the FFG government. Well done.

Homeless figures hit record high in December (rte.ie)

Homeless figures hit record high in December

More than 11,600 people including almost 3,500 children were accessing emergency accommodation during the week leading up to Christmas, according to the latest homelessness figures.

This represents a record high in numbers for the sixth consecutive month.

Speaking on RTÉ's Drivetime, he said that the December figures were particularly shocking when respite is usually offered during a Christmas period so numbers tend to be lower.

I'm not one for the far-rights "all refugees are bad" type stuff but surely anyone can understand its utter madness that there are still almost 500 international protection arrivals a week, mostly young men from Albania/Nigeria/Georgia/Algeria in 2022 (ie, nowhere at war, or with direct flights to Ireland) being housed when there are literally thousands of homeless Irish kids homeless.

How out of touch can the government be on the issue? We're going to end up with a proper extreme far-right party here gaining lots of support before long if they keep not responding to it. We need to limit the international protection program to only women & children fleeing an actual war who have nowhere else to go, those who actually need it most.

IMHO Blut2, you’re anything but ‘far right’, more thinking sensibly.

Personally, I’ve always wondered ( & again I’m totally against racism ) just how those gypseys with long skirts/dresses are allowed in. They seem to be nearly always pushing a pram with a baby in tow. Quite simply, I just wonder what they have to offer Ireland.

As for Albania, aren’t they trying to join the EU?

But sorry, I am diversifying. Apologies!

Another bad poll for FFG. This one is by RedC.

Regards...jmcc

Very interesting poll. Fine Gael the big losers. The highlights...

The Red C/Business Post poll puts Sinn Féin at 33% up 2% and Fine Gael at 21%, down 3% versus the same poll one month previously.

The online surveyed which involved 1,004 adults took place between Friday 20 January and Wednesday 25 January. During this period, Public Expenditure Minister Paschal Donohoe was embroiled in the controversy over his electoral expenses.

The survey also reflects the changeover in Government since Fine Gael leader Leo Varadkar took over as Taoiseach.

Fianna Fáil remain at 15%.

The poll suggests the Social Democrats are on 6%, up 2% while the Green Party is at 4%, down 1%.

Purely my perspective on reading this feature.

if I was a shinner, I’d be disappointed with the share. Surely after the turmoil that Troy, English & Donohue caused, I’d have assumed SF would gain more.

If I was a FF supporter I’d be gutted that my party was stuck on 15%.

As a FGer, I’d be thinking that someone’s head has to roll.

As for labour, I regard them as history.

The greens🙄. They really have to change strategy if they want to avoid becoming another PD party. For me ( & this is only my view ) their answer to everything is tax tax and more tax. Also, their ‘leader’ really needs replacing.

I am glad to see the SD’s climbing. My only fear is they repeat in the next election the same error that SF made in the last election - not field enough candidates.

Purely my view based on the latest poll.

Interesting breakdown of that poll. FF at 10% in Dublin is pretty grim for them, they're on the verge of dying out in urban areas.

Interesting also to see the SocDems only polling at 3% with C2DEs. Too much focus on identity politics and not enough on policies working class people care about I guess, interestingly for a so called left wing party.

• Advertisement

The problem, to keep in mind with these breakdowns is that the Margin of Error skyrockets because the poll was only around 1K people. RedC's methodology and sampling always underestimates FF support. Sometimes it can be by about 5% or more. Despite FF's demographics being older than other parties, some of those demogaphics consistently vote. Support doesn't matter if those supporters don't vote.

FF has a major problem with Dublin support because a lot of that is now shifting to SF. There's a sense that FF only takes care of its cronies and grovels to FG at every opportunity under the useless Martin. If it is to have any hope in Dublin, it needs to dump that wannabe FGer.

The SocDems are interesting in that they are Labour without the baggage. It will take them at least two election cycles to adjust but they may benefit from the anyone but FFG/Lab vote. That gain will put the fear in the Labour because under Bacik it has not seen any increase in support. Labour was making noises about merging with the SocDems but the real reason is that the Labouriites want to get their claws into SocDem votes so that they can maintain their snouts in the public trough.

There's a realignment happening beneath the surface of Irish politics. RedC's opinion piece on how Immigration is on the way to becoming an election issue is worth reading. The last major protests in Ireland were the Water Tax protests. There are now sporadic protests happening and it is probably only a matter for time before they go mainstream. The Water Tax protests led to the rightful obliteration of Labour in 2016 (from 37 seats in 2011 to 7 in 2016). These protests, unless FFG does something quickly, will lead to an implosion of FFG seats and their replacement with single-issue Indpendent candidates. If this treds starts to play out, the first signs will be the "Undecided" % increasing in various polls along with the non-response rate (people telling pollsters to feck off) increasing.

Regards

Advertisement