Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland running out of accommodation for Ukrainian refugees due to surge in non-Ukrainian refugees?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

No it didn't. It removed citizenship as a birthright.

All Irish citizens are equal in the republic. Very different from the monarchist viewpoint in the UK which you seem to be trying to foster here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

We need to build 62,000 units a year according to a report in the Irish Times. It's double what we previously thought.

With opposition TDs from Labour, Sinn Fein, People Before Profit routinely objecting to large apartment developments (which we need) , will they just shut up about inward migration or else embrace the changes of inward migration... that is to say, high rise high density towns and cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭batman_oh

And the greens (Eamon the tool) opposing building as many as we need because it's bad for the environment.

Inward migration will increase our carbon emissions.

So is the Greens in favour of inward migration or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Who knows. But he came out and said this only a few months ago - if I remember it was 20,000 units a year or thereabouts that we needed to limit building to. But then O'Gorman recently said we needed to keep taking as many refugees as possible (80k a year or so) and a week later said we need to stop because there is nowhere for them to stay. It's the party of soundbites and contradictions.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 23,921 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

There clearly isn’t any real desire to do more when they’re being provided with the means to draw down funds already allocated for housing, and they’re not doing it. I understand we could come up with numerous reasons why they’re not doing it, but that wouldn’t change anything. All that does is create an opportunity for a small number of people to suggest that the numbers of refugees, asylum seekers and illegal immigrants who aren’t being accommodated by the State, are somehow responsible for the lack of social housing and the pressures in the private property and rental markets that have been accumulating for at least the last ten years.

The figures are based on various reports in the media and a few other bits and pieces I’ve read, I could hardly be accused of not providing sources, it’s exactly why I provide sources in support of any claims I make.

That’s 20,000 illegal immigrants btw, there’s a distinction between asylum seekers and illegal immigrants - one group have a right to be here while their claims for asylum are being processed; the other group hasn’t applied for asylum and the numbers are impossible to pin down conclusively, but estimates put the figure at about 20,000 -

No official data exists on the number of undocumented persons in the State. In 2014, the MRCI estimated that there were between 20,000 and 26,000 undocumented migrant adults living and working in Ireland. More recently in 2020, the MRCI estimated that there are some 15,000 to 17,000 undocumented persons in the State, including 2,000 to 3,000 children. This includes those whose residence permissions recently expired as well as those who are resident long-term in the State without an immigration permission.

https://www.irishimmigration.ie/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/Undocumented-Policy-Scheme-January-2022.pdf

What’s your problem with me pointing out the obvious to a poster who imagines that as a taxpayer they’re supporting people who they’re absolutely not supporting, nor do they have any obligation to support anyone other than themselves and their immediate dependents. They pay tax on any income, doesn’t matter whether it’s income from employment, the sale of goods and services, inheritance, etc, same as anyone else in their position would be expected to do the same thing, there’s nobody handing out rubber medals for behaviour that’s expected of people who claim to be an adult.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I think that's just a bit pessimistic. At the current rate of arrivals, rough sleeping is set to double in 12 days in Dublin and increase by about 100 about every 12 days thereafter. That is not something that you can ignore.

If there is no policy change and arrivals continue, then we will see this turn into a full blown political crisis. Government seemingly can only effectively move in a crisis because suddenly things can be done that previously were "impossible". All the nonsense about legal obstacles and international obligations (that no other country pays much heed to) can get cast aside in the name of expediency and necessity. Realists will eventually have to take the reigns from the idealists.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I’m beginning to wonder if it suits Leo to leave the gormless o Gorman in his position as the situation is now such a mess , the government might as well have a scapegoat, Green Party voters mostly support what o Gorman is doing so that vote will probably not be affected

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Those statistics completely torpedo the government parroted line that “ we have no choice but to accept folks seeking asylum “

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭DaithiMa

Of course it's no coincidence. FG and FF know well where this is going and it suits them absolutely perfectly to have two Green sacrificial lambs in O'Gorman and O'Brien in the relevant departments right now.

They'll blame the entire debacle on the greens and those two clowns come election time. Can see a similar outcome for the greens to what happened them after the last time they got into power (which was another disastrous spell for the country).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

It doesn't matter how many we build, we're never going to have enough if we're going to have unlimited numbers coming in.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,921 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

O’ Gorman’s actions won’t change the structure and fabric of this country. Like as pie in the sky nonsense goes, claiming a “refugee class” are going to have any impact whatsoever on most people’s daily lives is the stuff of nihilistic nightmare propaganda.

I’m not sure what pull factor you refer to as you don’t mention it, but one of the pull factors anyway is that they’ve got plenty of support among Irish people, and those people tell their friends, and those people tell their friends… and nobody actually gives a damn about what Roderic is tweeting for the benefit of his Irish followers.

I wasn’t worried about “refugee class” men before now (apart from the hundred or so who were left in tents in the middle of nowhere in the middle of December, I guess “refugee class” makes a difference from the “fighting age males” stuff), but I think it’s a bit stating the obvious to point out that nobody has seen anything yet that hasn’t happened.

What might happen however in the coming months is that women and children with refugee status will be accommodated in plastic containers; everyone else, whether they be men, women or children, will have to make-do with tents.

I’d be more concerned about what protesters are liable to get up to tbh, given the way they’ve caused nothing but inconvenience and disruption to people who haven’t done anything whatsoever to them. When there isn’t a concrete and steel structure between them and the refugee class though, they’re not likely to be nearly as brave in their efforts to protect the fabric of Irish society.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,832 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

That's a fair point - you certainly wouldn't want 50,000 of them. But the numbers of modular homes being built currently seem very much on the low side.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭cal naughton

Last three paragraphs of the link shows the farce we are in now.

A lad from Zimbabwe came on Tuesday from the hellhole that they call Germany.

The second lad from somalia is giving out about him on the floor but Ukrainians in 5 star accommodation.! Being taken for a ride here big-time

Maybe you believe there's a magic money tree somewhere. But the state coffers are made up of money from taxpayers.

People who are here working legally pay tax and have every right to be here and avail of services. No virtue signalling from anyone here

I have lived and worked in other EU countries and that is a right.

Illegals pay for nothing. They cannot work while awaiting a decision about their asylum application and are 100 percent supported by people like me for accommodation food hesathcare etc.

Ukrainians are here under a 3 year deal I believe. A lot will stay. But the expectation should be they find employment and pay their own way. Just like the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

More homes out of the reach of working families....

Race to the bottom

• Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

They cannot work while awaiting a decision about their asylum application

They can yeah after 5 or 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

I am really struggling to understand how you can argue that things funded by taxation are not being funded by the taxpayer.

Can you explain please?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭keynes

Denmark has a "zero-asylum" policy and everything I have ever read suggests their policy is extremely restrictive. This is not just about the well-documented Syrian issue, but applies to all refugees. All of the numbers I have seen suggest same, contrary to your remark that nothing meaningful is "happening on the ground".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭cafflingwunts

@One eyed Jack

claiming a “refugee class” are going to have any impact whatsoever on most people’s daily lives is the stuff of nihilistic nightmare propaganda.

that's very naive, disingenuous and frankly it's outright disinformation.

you shouldn't lie, it makes baby jesus cry.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

There just has to be money involved

corruption

I cannot think of any other reason why they could do this to their own country

• Registered Users Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Just think about all the topics, including this one, in today's society that we are not allowed to debate.

There are words you can't say without being accused of being a member of a far right movement (that doesn't exist)....yet everyday, on here, posters are accused of it all the time.

It's quiet chilling really. But it's all so crazy it simply isn't sustainable. Nobody voted for any of this. The people who are defending it simply don't understand the implications that the rest of us can plainly see! We are talking about at least a ten year crisis ahead of us.

I think we have local elections this May...I'm not so sure Irish people will forget this catastrophe in a hurry!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭irishproduce

How is this stuff not being picked up by the media with the guards in attendance at protest tonight in Finglas?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭irishproduce

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭NSAman

It’s time to stop this rubbish.

no more economic migrants. Alas no space for Ukrainians

time to stop this population replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭redarmy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

Embarrassing stuff to see. A bunch of miscreants.

Advertisement