Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

On the topic of the packs, size, set piece etc....

Leinster do have issues with the maul and scrum but it's not the key issue to me. The scrum was clinging on at times at the end and there was a fear of penalty try territory on those final scrum sets (although La Rochelle took the ball out before it got that far and with good reason). La Rochelle also comfortably scored a maul try in that game without much difficulty. It's an area of concern undoubtedly. Our attacking maul is good and has been good for some time.

I'm not sure if the Irish pack delivering against France/SA in the set piece is hugely relevant given that the Irish pack largely plays together every week and has the advantage of that cohesion as opposed to France whose starting front five in Paris last season came from 4 different teams. Facing a pack like La Rochelle (which is bigger than the French pack overall) is a step up in terms of the maul/scrum.

But La Rochelle beat us because they controlled the breakdown. They weren't shy about it. They spoke afterwards about knowing Leinster will beat you if they get quick ball and strike for a couple of tries at a certain period of the game. It was about dominating the breakdown, flooding that area when needed and offering up three points in defence rather than seven to make sure they kept in touch as the game went into the final stages. The killed our breakdown, maul and attacking lines with linespeed/offside penalties. They hit double digit penalties just after half time but then owned possession thereafter.

On their own ball, they made sure the ruck was secured. The possession statistics are eye opening when you consider how many shots at goal we had (61% in favour of La Rochelle). No dramatic movements of the ball or people getting isolated. Just set the ruck up and blast Leinster back who weren't contesting a huge amount. Look to force an opportunity as Leinster make tackle after tackle under extreme pressure and physicality. It all worked out incredibly well for them, just about.

People are talking about the scrum and mau again now l but the main areas again where Racing gave Leinster trouble in general play (in both games) was the breakdown. In Le Havre, they flung bodies in and we didn't protect our ball well enough. We were profligate in the extreme in attack and lost possession multiple times in their territory after they drove over our ball. Despite the final score line, it was only 7-3 after 30 minutes until Racing went down to 14. Similarly, they turned us over repeatedly last weekend in the first 40 and it took patience and time to break them down. That's how to stop Leinster. The scrum and maul are ways of scoring against us but to beat Leinster, you need to stop them. The Bulls made **** of the breakdown too in the RDS last season very effectively, turning us over and yielding penalties

Luke Fitzgerald made a good point which correlates strongly with last year's final. The play we're seeing now from Leinster is the hardest thing to execute. The elaborate lines of running, decoys, passing/offloads etc. There are so many moving parts. In a final, it becomes a lot harder to execute those things because of the pressure you're under both mentally and the quality and intensity of the opposition. It's often teams who can comes up with a couple of moments of brilliance and execute simple rugby along with stopping the opposition end up with the winner's medals. Scrums and mauls are the bread and butter of a game and teams who are strong there can revert to it with ease which our rivals do when we're getting frustrated by the lack of space and pressure.

Leinster 100% need to improve on their set piece but if they can somehow keep their heads in the pressure cooker of the final and execute their plan at the breakdown (as well as having complete clarity with the referee in advance on what they expect the opposition to do), they should beat anyone in Dublin.

I think this is a really good post, and really speaks to the actual key issue rather than what the media typically bandy about as the key weakness.

The teams who have succeeded in slowing Leinster down like that have diced a very fine line in terms of discipline. There were a couple of points in Marseille where you felt other referees would have gone to the pocket for La Rochelle's persistent infringing, and that would have made a considerable difference to the outcome as well.

That's one of those areas as well where the pressure a 'home' crowd can excerpt could also play a part.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Ciaran

Agreed. The Sharks are great fun to watch but they concede too many points to be strong contenders to win trophies

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Agree with all that and contrast with Toulouse in the SF, Leinster didn't really have any such issues at the breakdown that I can recall.

And very fair point about the turnovers in the first Racing game, Leinster entered their 22 only to get turned over at the ruck multiple times. You kind of forget it given the result but I can remember being pretty concerned at the time.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

LR gambled on giving up penalties but it was a gamble they lost with Leinster kicking 7/7. A couple of missed kicks and the game was in the big for them long before the drama at the end.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I don't think the lost the gamble at all, I think it worked perfectly. They "won" by not getting any yellow cards for persistent infringement.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,024 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I don't think there was any grand masterplan from LAR. They played the referee very well, took the chances that came their way and Leinster had a mental meltdown for about five minutes when everything we did turned to shyte.

If your game plan relies on Johnny Sexton and Ross Byrne missing kicks, then it's a rubbish gameplan.

They absolutely did have a grand masterplan. They played the referee well, which was part of implementing the plan well, but they quite clearly set out to make an absolute mess of Leinster ball and to shut down space and to do so illegally as they were doing so from the off. It was not a case of spotting the ref wasn't penalising something and pushing it further. Not least because he was penalising it, they just somehow managed to avoid a card for it.

Well, yeah, they had a game plan - but it wasn't "concede the penalties and hope leinster don't kick them over".

I've said it over and over, if JOB doesn't make a horse's ass of that kick that was going dead, we win that game. If 30,000 French fans (and the LAR players) knew the rules, we win that game. If Sexton doesn't run the ball from his own goalposts in the next phase, we win that game.

Ok, on that I agree. It was "concede penalties so we don't concede tries". I don't think us kicking 7/7 means their plan didn't work - it clearly did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Leinster Rugby (caps in brackets):

15. Chris Cosgrave (4)

14. Max O’Reilly (10)

13. Liam Turner (12)

12. Ben Brownlee (1)

11. Dave Kearney (178)

10. Harry Byrne (42)

9. Luke McGrath (186)

1. Michael Milne (24)

2. John McKee (11)

3. Michael Ala’alatoa (38)

4. Ross Molony (154)

5. Brian Deeny (7)

6. Rhys Ruddock (216) CAPTAIN

7. Scott Penny (49)

8. Max Deegan (90)

16. Tadgh McElroy (1)

17. Marcus Hanan (3)

18. Thomas Clarkson (21)

19. James Culhane (0)

20. Will Connors (29)

21. Nick McCarthy (55)

22. Charlie Tector (2)

23. Aitzol King (0)

Couple of new faces here. Good to see Connors back.

Exciting side. Will be good to see Culhane and Aitzol King make their Leinster debuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭crisco10

Very exciting side, gutted to be missing it (stupid weddings).

Every game like this that comes around, it's remarkable the quality of backrow Leinster can put out.

PS: It's also mad that Michael Milne/Tom Clarkson have played almost as many games for Leinster as Will Connors.

Considering we have 25 senior players missing, it's not too bad of a team. Ngatai would have been a great man to have available to help marshall the backs but looking forward to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭crisco10

I was just about to reference those moments. If JOB hadn't played it, it would have been a scrum to Leinster on halfway, and I remember saying at that time that LAR were looking tired. Instead it was the goal line dropout, Dulan takes a gammy drop goal attempt which has a wicked bounce that puts Sexton under pressure and he chooses to run it out. Queue energy giving 5m Scrum to LAR.

I still haven't re-watched the game (the pain is real), but I strongly believe those 3 or 4 minutes was the turning of the tide, and that series of events key. And that's before you consider all the other micro moments in the final quarter (Keenan stepping into touch from kick receipt around the 22, Ross Byrne fumbling Conan's poor pass, JGP's seatbelt tackle, Ala'alatoa not getting reward for a jackal etc.)

Beginning to row back on my bullishness about this game...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

That's the weakest front 5 I've seen from Leinster in a long time.

Home advantage is a great leveller and I've every faith in the coaching set up that they'll have done enough work to have their players prepared. But on paper that Cardiff side is stronger.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Thank you. This is exactly the sort of critical thinking I wish the media could apply themselves toward.

On the Leinster weakness, my biggest concern is not when teams target our breakdowns but that we seem quite slow at adapting to that on the field. It shouldn't take more than 2 or 3 ruck turnovers to see we need to resource our rucks better but Leinster seem very slow to try and change game plan.

Cardiff: Rhys Priestland; Owen Lane, Rey Lee-Lo, Ben Thomas, Jason Harries; Jarrod Evans, Lloyd Williams; Brad Thyer, Kirby Myhill, Keiron Assiratti, Lopeti Timani, Seb Davies, Josh Turnbull (capt), James Botham, James Ratti

Replacements: Kristian Dacey, Corey Domachowski, Will Davies-King, Rory Thornton, Shane Lewis-Hughes, Ellis Bevan, Aled Summerhill, Matthew Morgan

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Good to see DK and Connors back

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Cardiff are missing 20 players through International call ups and Injuries.

Them missing 20 is like Leinster missing 40+ in terms of relative depth.

Their team is literally the only 23 players they have available.

"We have about 20 players missing and that leaves about 23 players to select from"

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I don’t see Leinster winning this one tbh. That’s very, very callow. Our absentee list is absolutely huge.

Porter, Healy, E Byrne, Sheehan, Kelleher, Furlong, Ryan, Jenkins, McCarthy, Doris, VDF, Conan, Baird, Soroka, M Moloney, JGP, Sexton, R Byrne, Frawley, Henshaw, Ngatai, Ringrose, Osborne, Lowe, Larmour, Keenan, JOB, TOB, Russell.

Throw in the loss of Tracey and C Ryan and it’s just downright crazy. That’s 29 absentees on top of the 2 injury retirements. We’ve a large collection of guys that are way down the depth chart and have played little to no rugby with Leinster this season. Hopefully they can at least show up well and give us something to shout about.

I'm pretty sure Cardiff are still available at 7/1 for this, having tightened from 10/1 since the team's were announced.

Leinster still deemed prohibitive favourites by the bookies (2/9).

Cardiff team isn't bad.

Ladbrokes and Paddy Power have both suspended betting. I'd imagine the spread will be a lot tighter than when it started.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,634 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Glad I took Cardiff +5 @9/2 earlier in the week

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

There's no replacement lock on the bench. I guess Ruddock will move up a row if Deeny or Molony gets substituted? Would see Connors or Culhane go to blindside.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,039 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Can't make the game tomorrow as I have a gig on so have a pair of tickets available if anyone wants them? Just drop me a PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

That's a very callow and inexperienced Leinster side. Although, I like seeing the young lads involved. Delighted to see Brownlee and King. Culhane in the squad too. Fingers crossed for Connors!

My guess is Rhys will go into the 2nd row. Culhane will probably slot in at 8? These are the matches that give lads a chance. Milne and Clarkson need to step in. I reckon Deeny will be ok. He's gaining expand Molony there alongside him will help.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Just noticed that Russell isn't playing? Is he injured? Good chance for O'Reilly.

• Advertisement

In a strange way, I enjoy seeing these sort of Leinster teams (like the teams who pitched up in SA last year) play more than our generic URC team. You get the future and who is ready to potentially step up. This game last year was Joe McCarthy's debut and Jamie Osborne played at 13, and within 12 months both are in a 6N squad.

We could lose this game, but they're still absolutely invaluable to me.

Hopefully Ulster will do us a favour too and knock off that weak Stormers side that has been sent north too.

Advertisement