Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

When this war ends,Russia will have very few men left you mean

Ukraine have population of over 40 million,and have 7 million fit for service annually,they can do this all day long,

Russia will also have 2 new NATO members on their borders,an economy weakened by sanctions and price caps,their miilitary even worse with old soviet era equipment in storage thats useless against western equipment,and takes months to restore.

Russias military equipment will probably sell faster on ebay in the future

Why do you think Russia is looking to increase their standing army to 1,5 million the next 3-5 years

And why do you think 700000 ran away from mobilization

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Wouldn't be one bit surprised if it happens,

Seems to be quiet popular with the Ukrainans

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Another 60 modernized Soviet era tanks Heading to Ukraine via Poland

PT-91 is probably the best modernized t72 version available,even better than Russias upgraded versions

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Casualties =/= KIA

This is a pretty basic mistake, so its hard to take anything else you say seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

To be fair, that was hardly his suggestion, he was backed into a corner by the interviewer there. Obviously Johnson still has friends in Sky News.

If Johnson was Ukrainian, it's highly likely he'd have been shot for treason long ago. It's a shame the UK are so tolerant of corruption and disgraced politicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭Economics101

More reaction to Geoffrey Roberts in to-day's I.T. Inevitably one from the chief clown in the Useful Idiot Circus.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,223 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

The French have announced they will be sending 250 Saint Chamond battle tanks. Best tank in the business in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Read this guy's article and heard him on Radio 1 the same day.

He made very strange arguments, on the radio he said the west are "fighting to the last Ukrainian" as if the Ukrainians themsevles actually want to surrender. He also said Russia is winning the war, even though it has loss around half the territory it once had. Crazy stuff. In the article he mentioned restraint by Putin, but no mention of the massacres of civilians in Irpin. When the radio presenter put it to him that the Russians are comparable to Nazis he said they were not, but didn't take the opportunity to say their actions are indefensible. In fact at one point he stressed the level of support for Russia in the east of the country.

It was car crash stuff on Radio 1, the presenter was clearly very irritated by this raimeis.

I would suspect that the Professor is not a Russian asset or anything like that, but can't bear to see the country he has spent so long studying losing all its credibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

What you really mean is let's stop now while Russia still holds some land but pretend it's for the sake of Ukraine

You people will become increasingly more "conscientious" as the modern tanks begin to decimate Russian lines

Very similar to Trump wanting to stop the vote count before it turned

How can Ukrainians and Russians be one people? the Ukrainians are intelligent and noble

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

To get some idea of the "future" three things can be useful to look at: Forget politics and sides, look at results. Always follow the money. Demographics speak volumes.

Russia's population was already in steep decline. To attempt to reverse this in the last twenty years the Russian government pays women to have kids, with tax breaks, one off payments(nearly 7000 €) and other incentives. That's how worried they are. Rightfully. Now a similar drop in birthrates is in play in many parts of Europe, but for different reasons(the US birthrate is pretty much flat and stable China's screwed longterm). As people and especially women get wealthier they have fewer kids which is in play in Europe, but in Russia even poorer women are having fewer kids.

More, people are actively leaving Russia, whereas people are actively moving to, or trying to move to Europe. The ironic joke on putin is he's adding to that with the millions of Ukrainians, majority women and kids pushed into Europe by his war, a large number of whom will likely stay on. Never mind the losses of [insert number you feel happy with here] young Russian men.

As for ratios of losses, I'd believe either side's figures about as far as I could throw them. Hell, researchers are still debating casualty figures for long over wars of the past. About all we can be sure of tens of thousands have been, are being and will be killed and injured, Ukrainian and Russian. If it comes down to attrition war, it'll be the one who "blinks" first that will be the loser in this. Ukrainian supporters feel Ukraine are more protective of their fighting men and women, but Russian supporters feel the same. Yep. They use the example of withdrawal from Kherson(which IMHO was a sensible tactical move from Russia). That's the regular army though. On the other hand we have Wagner, who appear to use their convict/press ganged troops as cannon fodder, send them in in waves to expose and distract Ukrainian positions, while their much better trained and equipped own troops press that advantage.

One guy I'm subbed to is an Australian ex military lad who has tried to dig behind the headlines and has a load of interviews with different people on the ground and has been on the ground himself. He even tried to get into the Russian held side of things, even though the Ukrainians told him he wouldn't be welcomed back if he did. The Russians refused his request. Well shocked I was to hear that, shocked... This is his latest interview, but his other vids and a there are a lot of them are well worth a look IMHO.

The guy in this example has his spin, one I'm dubious about. His other interviewees don't seek anonymity for a start, but the general overall gist is that this conflict has become a grinding war of attrition in spots, with a fairly "stable" front over much of it and both are consolidating their fronts, with no obvious sign of another Kherson. That Russia has more hope of pressing forward, than Ukraine has of counterattacking. For the moment.

For me, my outlook remains pretty much the same as it has from around the time of the fall of Mariupol. The Russians and their supporters seem convinced that they'll eventually take and hold Ukrainian land up to the Dnieper river, The Ukrainians and their supporters seem convinced they'll eventually drive Russia back to pre 2014 borders and take Crimea. IMHO both are sniffing glue and barring a major change it'll end up with Russia holding much of Donbas, with Crimea not even on the table(even if they lost everything else and putin fell out a window they'd put all of what's left on holding Crimea). A "result" that Russia if it had any braincells to rub together strategically and tactically should have gone for in the first place, rather than their Hail Mary, we'll take this in a week, multiple fronts they simply hadn't the power or skills to achieve. The land bridge between the two is what would be up for debate and grabs and when it's all done and dusted with many more dead it'll be a North/South Korea vibe, with a DMZ between the territories.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Russians have begun an attack on Toretsk

It's one of the heavily fortified areas on the original frozen line of contact in the Donbass, so a frontal assault would be profoundly stupid but that clearly is no reason to rule it out

The only importance of taking Toretsk and New York is that they are both used as positions to shell Horlivka - but as a strategic position for further advancement into Donetsk oblast... there isnt any really. It doesnt have much in the way of resources, it doesnt sit on any transport arteries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

I didn't think Russia could escalate these attacked but between attacking new areas of the Donbass and the south they have. They must be ploughing through their mobilised.

We could be looking at 250k dead Russians for 2023 alone at the rate we're going. Definitely another mobilisation coming soon if they ever stopped in the first place.

All that's left now is another attack from Belarus which will result in massive casualties. Ukraine just digging in as deep as possible until it actually makes sense to attack.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'm still not getting this hard on for fighters. How do you achieve air superiority? If you're the US you have the sheer numbers and sophistication and integration of their forces including their air force to do it. Neither side in this conflict has that, nor will get that.

What has happened is Ukrainian airspace is denied to Russian overflights by their AA batteries. AA that's capable of taking out faster, smaller, running lower Russian missiles. Russian aircraft would be a turkey shoot. And vice versa. If Ukraine got 100 F-16's in the morning(one of the least useful platforms practicalities wise) they still couldn't risk over flying Russian held airspace because of their AA defences. Russia for her part relies on bombers launching missiles at ground targets from outside Ukrainian air defences, while Russian Mig-31's fly outside the same air defences at very high altitudes and speeds lobbing AA missiles at anything that pops up on their radars(mostly getting mission kills as Ukrainian jets see them coming and leg it).

Whatever about the very early days when both sides aircraft were overflying the other's airspace and lots of vids and pics of downed aircraft were seen, things have changed radically. What we're seeing now are helicopters and ground attack fixed wing kit being seen and/or taken down along the front. It's not the messy free for all it once was where oh how we had the craic with Ukrainian tractors driving off with Russian tanks. This is a dug in war, where both sides have adapted to each other.

Ten AA systems are worth far more than one F-16 and far cheaper, far easier to maintain, far easier to train on and far easier to move around and deny far more of the ability of Russian air systems, aircraft and missiles to operate. F-16's are great for America, air shows to impress the public and lads who build Airfix kits as a hobby. In Ukraine today? Not so much.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,532 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

It looks like the Russians want to take Vuhledar at all costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Itsame Mario

I'm not sure that the Kremlin really cares enough about what is being discussed on an Irish social media website to bother wasting resources on it.

What is it in your mind that makes me a Kremlin agent/supporter? What exactly have I said? Everyone on here seems to take issue with me saying that the war should stop as soon as possible and that negotiations are probably the best way to secure peace. Is wanting peace something that only a Kremljn agent would want? If you think its true that the Kremlin wants peace and Nato wants war than maybe you wanna have a think about whether who you support really is the "good guy" in this situation.

Cab someone not hold a different position to you without them being an agent of a foreign state? Seems like you've been well and truly brainwashed, bet you bought into the whole "ghost of Kiev" BS didn't you!

I'll state it here, I'm not pro Russia or pro Ukraine. What is happening there is a tragedy. I want peace and think that will only happen by one of two methods: first if one side annihilated the other, the second is negotiations. I would prefer negotiations. If you can see a third way to secure peace and end this war, by all means post it and it might change my mind.

Yeah meant conscription, autocorrect did a number on me there!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Negotiations over what exactly?

And handily, unlike Abrams, Leopards, etc, uses the same ammo and most of the spares that Ukrainians logistics, maintenance and crews have, use and know about.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Fighter jets are great for force projection using US aircraft carriers halfway across the world, but in a contested airspace with huge amounts of AA batteries and the very high prevalence of MANPADs its a different story.

Also if Ukraine were given fighter jets, whats to stop NATO from supplying pilots too? Sure you'd only ever find out the pilots weren't Ukrainian if they crashland in enemy territory

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Maybe because you sing from the exact same hymn sheet as so many others before you.

In your world of pink fluffy clouds and unicorns, how can negotiations occur when the aggressor, you know the one who rapes, kidnaps, murders, terrorises children, women and men wants to continue doing so?

What did I state that's a lie? The statements may not suit your personal beliefs but they are true. Does no one here actually pay any attention to what is going on over there, is a just reading the headlines and never looking deeper? Ffs several of the things I've mentioned have even been shown on the BBC, its not like I'm saying you should watch RT 24 hours a day. If you want to, try to prove if anything I've said is a lie. But I bet doing the smallest amount of research on too much for you, just belive the headlines. I'll throw you a bone, the Ukrainian Defense minister who stated that Ukraine is a "defacto Nato member" is named Oleksii Reznikov. Look him up and you'll find some interesting interviews he has given. Though honestly, even without anyone admitted this is a Nato vs Russia war surely you can see that with your own eyes?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭paul71

You stated Ukraine is pulling men of the streets at gunpoint to serve in the army. I stand by my statement that that is a direct lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭dennis72

To all that reside/supporters at Orwell Rd embassy go home...

Mr Nobody's war of personal gravitation is over

Why he isn't shot 120k dead

Tanks to allies continued unity

• Registered Users Posts: 16,532 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I'm reporting from Bakhmut.

It is already clear that the main target of the faggots is Konstakha. They got close to the road until we let them get closer, but the faggots dug in behind Klishchiyivka, towards the road. They are trying to push us back with the heavy weapons and fly into Konstakha itself. The situation is difficult south of Bakhmut, but we are holding it back to the north, Zabakhmutka is fine. As I see it, the main forces have been taken to blockade the city in order to try to launch a massive assault later. 

The only threat to Konstakha now is from Arta, and it depends on Vuhledar. If they hold it there, we will not let them approach the city here either. The main thing is not to be squeezed from both sides. 

We are at war, but what else is there to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Russia could pull back to their own internationally recognised borders, hand over Putin and his senior officials to the Hague to be tried for war crimes and begin negotiations with Ukraine over repartitions.

Until they're ready to do that, the most acceptable path forward is to provide Ukraine with everything it needs to slaughter the invaders and drive them back to the aforementioned internationally recognised borders.

There's no "both sides" to this conflict. An imperialistic, mafia-run state has invaded it's neighbour and raped, tortured and murdered civilians . This is as clear a case of "goodies vs baddies" as you'll get outside of a children's cartoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,428 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Winter will always slow down a war. Up until the 20th century very few wars continued throughout a winter. In Ukraine at present both sides are dug in and mobility is denied due to the weather.

However when you look at late last summer when they had mobility the UA was really pushing and hitting the Russians hard

I expect this to happen again from April on. I think the armoured capability that UA is now getting will allow it to break through fixed Russian positions. The country is too vast you would need a Maginot line type defence for Russia to hold.

Now I may be wrong. Maybe Russia will find enough tanks, artillery, missiles troops and ammunition to hold and counterattack. Maybe the Iranian zones will came back into play. However I think there technology is decades behind what the UA is now getting.

The Bradley's are well capable of taking on the best of the Russian tanks if they have any left, the MBT's now arriving will wipe out anything within there range before they can get in range.

In demographic's ya Russia has a serious issue even if they win they lose.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

Of course it's a NATO/Russia proxy but it wouldn't be anything if Russia hadn't invaded

Origin of supplied weapons doesn't change the fact that the aggressor is the aggressor and the victim is the victim

Both sides have lost huge numbers of men and will continue to hntil the war ends, which is why I say it is best for peace to prevail, something that seems to be a controversial opinion on here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Bitcoin

I think we have moved far beyond the notion that the orcs simply need to withdraw back to their own borders.

• Demilitarised zone around Ukraine (on orc soil)
    • Orc energy reserves to be placed under the control of Ukraine until their country is rebuilt
    • Dissolution of the illegitimate terrorist state that is known as the "Russian Federation"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement