Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enoch Burke turns up to school again despite sacking - read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭PaoloGotti

I think it is a fair statement given the example of DSDs.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

This thread really isn't the place to debate the validity of Transgenderism.

This is a thread about a guy who does not think that the law of the land applies to him.

Nothing more , nothing less.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

Genetic experts (with no grounding in genetics) will make claims but they don't really know what they are talking about. For example what is the genetic basis of someone being gay? Do we know all the genes that are involved and every protein they produce and how everything reacts in the body as a result etc. Of course not and it's the same for many other things, trans being one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Jaffa3000

Aplogies, I mistook you for someone else because they posted an article a few posts earlier which discusses the same thing

• Advertisement

Well they are separate topics is my point. You can’t use proof of DSDs as validity to someone feeling trans.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Why not place an injunction that neither he nor any member of his family can loiter within x metres/kms of the school?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Thank you for your contribution please come back again

• Registered Users Posts: 18,690 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

It goes deeper than that opposing ideology’s/identity’s. It is freedom of religion v freedom of expression. Equality v Discrimination. Ethos purpose v inclusion right to education for all.

This will be seminal case for law students in years to come.

It was not long ago (2009) that Portmarnock Golf Club in Dublin was permitted to exclude women as full members because it was a private institution and ethos of the club was golf for gentlemen.

It was only in 2021 women were allowed to become full members.

In my view the transgender community and advocates should be thankful how far ahead this new subset is on their rights. Compared to other much more established genders in society.

From the way I see it the Wilson school has veered from its strict Christian Church of Ireland ethos in order to accommodate a transgender students wishes. Burke views this abhorrent against his beliefs. Many others will view the school as being forward thinking and inclusive.

Much like how the Portmarock GC issue ended in 2021.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭archermoo

Is there a reason to think that they'll be any more likely to follow a new more restrictive injunction?

Well, it could've been. Instead he chose to turn it in to a case of a teacher who got fired for throwing a public fit who refuses to acknowledge that the courts have jurisdiction over him.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Honestly, I'd be embarrassed to display my own ignorance on a topic that I'm pretending to know lots about, but you do you. The mention of hurting trans ideologies is a bit of a giveaway though. The veil slipped.

This isn't some kind of culture war where you pick sides, and you've happened to pick the side of people who look and act like you. This is a fundamental issue for a very small number of people, which is remarkably easily addressed in social terms, by showing people a little respect and dignity.

Here's a good starting point for you, take an hour over the weekend and watch Louis Theroux's documentary with trans kids. Come back after and let me know if you reckon they're just confused, or is there something fundamentally different about these kids.

My proposal was the exact opposite of silencing them, it was to shine a very bright light on them, and don't let them get away with one sided speeches. Let them face questions and answer questions, or be seen to avoid questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Strictly speaking he wasn't silenced. If he had objected, made his views in a reasoned manner, perhaps even taken a case against the school, for his religious freedom, this would be a very different story.

It could have been a landmark case, but instead the Burke's for all their supposed legal knowledge went for the martyrdom root.

There are plenty of things in society that people disagree with, but we have a legal system, right to protest etc that Enoch never used.

Instead he was abusive to the principal, got suspended, then refused to accept a court order. His current situation stems from that and that only. His trans views are now immaterial to the court action.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,249 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Can the thread title at least be amended from suspension to dismissal.

Last post because I agree it’s not the place:

I have no veil. I am very happy to say I am one the side of standing up to this nonsense ideology. You haven’t uncovered the devil.

Would you credit that, seeing that Louis Theroux doc last year (I binged all his docs) was what made me go “what da actual fook”?! It was the catalyst in starting off my interest in the phenomenon. I thought they were all very troubled children and foolish parents.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 16,608 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

It's a proxy debate over transgenderism though.

If, on the one hand, Burke's belief was that, for example, the school should not be teaching evolution as the world is only 6000 years old, this thread would have nowhere near the amount of posts, as none of those posting in defence of Burke (but really, posting obliquely about transgenderism) would be bothered to post about creationsim.

Similarly, if, on the other hand, there was some backwards town in the USA where the school board insisted on teaching creationism instesd of evolution, and the Enoch Burke equivalent in that school had done everything exactly the same as Enoch did (same confrontation with the principal, same contempt of court, same appearances as school, etc) but was refusing to teach creationism as it they wanted to follow science rather than scripture, I very much doubt we'd have so many posters on here arguing that there are correct channels for a teacher to raise a protest and that the teacher advocating for evolution went about it the wrong way and they really only had themselves to blame and it was purely a disciplinary issue, and nothing to do with evolution or creationism.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

All potentially valid points.

All now utterly moot because of Enoch Burkes behaviour.

This case could have been all those things had Enoch actually made it abut his "religious freedom" but he didn't

If he had allowed the process to flow through it could absolutely have been a landmark case about where the boundaries exist between Religious Freedom and the law of the land etc.

He should have submitted his formal objection to the school via the recognised channel and allowed that objection to flow through , with him likely losing the first few rounds. He then could have gone to the courts and had all the legal arguments you talk about above.

He didn't do any of that and decided he would instead verbally abuse his employer in a public forum and then ignore any and all legally valid steps taken after that.

ANY case that Enoch now chooses to take will have absolutely nothing to do with "Religious freedom" no matter how hard he will try.

He was not fired for refusing to "accept transgenderism" or "Religious freedom", he was fired for Gross Misconduct , namely verbal abuse of his superior.

His only valid legal argument would be to claim that his actions did not constitute gross misconduct which given all of his public actions and behaviours that have been widely reported , will likely be very hard for him to prove.

• Advertisement

• To be fair there’s just more to it than what he did/didn’t want to do. It’s the behaviour surrounding his denial to do what is school policy.

There’s a far cry of difference between refusing to do something within school policy and then taking that to the levels Burke has.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ish66

From several pages back, I would pay to watch Vincent Brown vs The Burkes.

What part of ''Fcuk Off'' does he not understand ? Fill a hall with mental health experts and roll in Enoch or the whole family, There is enough there for a conference.😵

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭PeterPan92

Ones viewpoint on this really comes down to whether you that that the term "male" and "man" mean the same, or "female" and "woman". At birth, genitalia decides whether you are male or female. However, whether one decides to present and live as a man or woman is different to birth sex.

Some people accept this viewpoint, some don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭gk5000

Does he have to physically go to the high court in Dublin ? If so would need to get his skates on, or can he purge his contempt remotely?

Separately, can I request not go give these folks oxygen who insist this is about transgenderism - and instead just few word reply like "comply with high court" which is what its really about.

No it doesn't.

This comes down to "Is it acceptable for someone to verbally abuse their employer and then repeatedly ignore subsequent valid court orders? " or "Is it not?"

That's it , that's all this story is about.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,468 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

He believes he is right, and has been wronged for standing up for his religious beliefs. We may not agree with him, but he isn’t the first to go to extremes based on religion.

While I can't address what the reaction would've been here, I can certainly say that if a teacher who wanted to teach evolutionary theory instead of creationism at a school that only allowed the later acted like Enoch Burke has acted I would be saying pretty much the same as I am here. That they were correctly fired and cannot be allowed to flaunt the orders of the court. I would also be bemoaning the fact that if they had acted like an adult they could have been in the center of a landmark case. But instead they decided to act like a toddler who isn't getting their way.

I don't think so , think the Judge said that he had to be "notified" before 2 pm - I don't think that there is an actual scheduled hearing.

Basically , if the Judge hasn't heard from Enoch by 2pm , the 1st €700 charge kicks in.

And given that it's Friday I'm guessing that means that Enoch will be on the hook for a minimum of €2100 as he won't be able to potentially purge the contempt until Monday morning so he'll take the hit for Saturday and Sunday by default if he misses todays deadline

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭MOR316

Has Paul Gascoigne showed up yet, with a bucket of chicken and a fishing rod?

Advertisement