Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meta Quest

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,708 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I have a 64gb Quest 2 with the bobo VR battery. I have a few games on it, sniper elite and a few others aswell as virtual desktop. Now I know the 64gb is tight storage wise for games but?

Is it a bottleneck? I mean if I'm happy to uninstall and reinstall apps? Will there be any games that are "too big" for the 64gb?

Reason I'm asking, is that CEX seem to be offering decent money and I could get into a new 256gb in a couple of weeks. Now I'm happy to "manage" the apps and storage on the 64gb if I'm not missing out on other stuff.

So, long story short? Sell and roll it into a 256gb? Or keep the 64gb and manage it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭jj880

I think the biggest VR game is Medal Of Honour at 45gb. No other game comes close to that. If twas me I'd run the 64gb headset on until Quest 3 with at least 256gb (hopefully there'll be 512gb or 1tb models). Due end of this year start of next and similar price to Quest 2 being touted.

Edit: just saw Grid Legends today on pre-order. Storage required 31gb. Looks decent. A proper racing game. Wonder how it will run on Quest 2 standalone as looks heavy on gpu.

Post edited by jj880 on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,741 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I guess another advantage of the smaller storage space is that, due to the hassle of having to redownload games, it means that you will likely play the games on your headset to completion before deleting and downloading another.

Unlike my situation where I have the 256GB and loads of games on it, so I play a little of each and find it too tempting to switch to another rather than sticking with one until it's completed.

Fyi

Seems to be approx 4/4.5 years total support / online play for Quest 1 😳

Think Id definitely be waiting for a Quest 3 now. Hopefully Quest 2 will be supported for longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Doge

So there's a bit of a surprise AAA racing title launching somewhat under the radar tomorrow on the Quest store.

Grid Legends by Codies / EA will have a native quest port tomorrow all going to plan:

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/app/7252497758125048/?utm_source=oculus&utm_medium=share

It's also 10% off if you pre-order it before it releases so it's currently €26.99 instead of the usual price of €29.99.

Graphics look pretty low res from the trailer which is pretty much to be expected for something running standalone on the Quest hardware. And also it's install size is a massive 31.1GBs!

I have an EXPORE25 25% code that I might use for it. Hopefully the gameplay lives up to it and that it isn't too low res!

• Advertisement

I noticed this release myself but was by chance as was looking for the biggest storage games.

Strange theres not more hype around it as AFAIK its the first proper racing game release on Quest standalone. Codemasters rarely disappoint and it looks the business - still gona wait for some reviews tho 🤣

Summary: game is solid, racing is realistic, story mode is good, gfx are lacking but overall a great racing game on Quest 2 standalone.

EDIT: Being savaged on Quest store reviews. A lot of the 5 star reviews look to be spam reviews with app referral 25% discount links also. Oh dear.

Post edited by jj880 on

Wonder would the arms get tired being held up to "hold" the wheel?

I recall having this issue with the Xbox 360 Wireless Wheel

According to this reviewer its controller stick only steering. Not sure why they dont have the hold wheel option. It was fun when i had a go on V-Speedway.

EDIT: Being savaged on Quest store reviews. A lot of the 5 star reviews look to be spam reviews with app referral 25% discount links also. Oh dear.

Post edited by jj880 on

ok weird.. not sure about controller stick steering on a VR driving game

The physical steering wheel has sorta set me on that path alone

• Advertisement

Yeah seems to be some issues. Camera cant be changed, sound is not spatial, joystick driving only, game doesn't look "VR" with flat looking menus etc. Basically players are saying its a bit of a lazy port / cash grab effort. I'll keep an eye on it though as would like a proper racing game in my catalogue especially since its multiplayer. Could get better with a couple updates to sort some things.

Post edited by jj880 on

Lot of people in Quest groups are refunding Grid Legends and getting this. 8 euro. Apparently has received a lot of good updates in last few months, has online multiplayer, reviews are good and @mrcheez you can hold the steering wheel 👍

I think Chris from VR Grid makes some good points... there does seem to be a campaign of "hate" for this game, but the night sections look really good if I'm honest

Night sections do look decent. I see people in the comments on that video are improving the graphics through SideQuest so that's a positive. I agree with him on the hands on wheel steering though. You also mentioned it with a wireless xbox wheel. I got MK1 Driven and it's great fun but the hands on wheel steering is a bit of a gimmick and you can lose your calibration from the start of the race and get totally screwed up if you overdo the turning. You can recentre the steering wheel with a button press but it breaks the immersion a bit for sure. The rear view mirror is a must though I think. It adds some racing feel to MK1 Driven and I use it a lot. I can see GRID Legends getting a patch to tweak a few things like spatial audio and rearview mirror.

Hey, there may even be a Quest Pro-enhanced version.

As Chris said, it seems they uploaded the entire game (hence the 31GB) and just tweaked settings down, so it's possible that these settings could be tweaked up.

When I moved my 2 Oculus accounts to Meta, the account that had the Quest 2 associated with it suddenly had no headset associated with it and for some reason the Quest 2 was listed under Headsets on my OTHER account (which had never been used on the Quest 2). Weird.

Meaning all my lovely Quest 2 purchases which I made on the 2nd account aren't linked to the headset.

I haven't connected my Quest 2 to the internet in a few months so this hasn't affected me yet (i.e. I've never signed in with a Meta account), but I assume it's possible for me to sign into the Quest 2 with BOTH accounts, so I can re-link it to the account with all my Quest 2 games?

Havent got round to multiple accounts myself so not an expert. Id say do what you suggest trying a sign in with your main meta account first and see what happens. If that doesn't work device is just the device so you can remove/setup your Quest 2 with whatever account you have the most purchases/save data (your main account) if you need to? A hassle I know.

Post edited by jj880 on

Was reading on the reddit Quest pages a lot of people reckon Microsoft might do a sneaky link from Quest 2 to Xbox to compete with PSVR2.

The thinking MS already have PCVR and have partnered up with Meta on MS Teams etc. Also have the casting ability already built in to xbox.

MS recently laid off their own mixed reality headset department too so it could make sense.

does that wipe the headset and all my saves though?

And all my sideloaded stuff? Lots of Doom and Quake wad files I don't want to have to re-load again :/

Ah ok you have a lot of sideloaded content. Im not sure what you should do then. I saw your post when originally posted and left it for someone who actually knows what they are talking about 😂. Think I'll stick to that from now on.

• Advertisement

Really need to get PCVR sorted. Looks amazing.

Wow old skool...think that was one of my first vr games :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭brady12

is that good ?

Eh..its early VR...think its pretty alright but controls were a bit janky iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 29,044 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

When you said Early VR, I was expecting Cyberzone quality

Of course, I'm sure everyone here remembers that show,

How have I not heard of this show?! Sh!t in 1993 I had an Olivetti 286 with 1mb ram. Woulda sold my granny for some of that VR action. 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭brady12

When I used to put this down for a couple of months at a time Facebook used send me discount codes and I would buy something and play it. They stopped doing that 4 or 5 months ago . With psvr2 very close and oculus quest 3 coming maybe it's time to cash in .

Possibly. I am going to run my Quest 2 until it cant play the latest games then look at Quest 3. I dont think we'll see a situation like with the Quest 1 losing support so soon. Quest 2 has sold 10,000,000+ units. Some sources saying as many as 15,000,000. Maybe Quest 3 will sell as many. I dont think so. Meta would be daft to make the Quest 2 redundant any time soon. I think it's here to stay for a good few years yet. As for PSVR2 I just watched the unboxing video and it is 😍👌. Gona wait a while yet on it though. Hopefully for Christmas there will be a megapackesque bundle like Sony did for PSVR1. Will pick it up then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,708 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I've just gotten a new 30% voucher for the Oculus store. Already have Sniper Elite, Warplanes WW1, Virtual Desktop and haven't really taken a look at Oculus releases in the past few months.

What's worth buying?

I'm spitballing between Warplanes ww2 Pacific and medal of honour but get the feeling that MOH and Sniper elite may be a bit samey.

Advertisement