Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 21/22 Eviction Ban (was: And just like that, FFFG lose 298000 votes))

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,542 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

If you are a mechanic and you put a new clutch in someone's car and they don't pay, you can't land down to their gaff and split their car and take it back out either.

They can drive up and down your road all day, honking their horn and waving at you, and you would have to put up with it. You would have the same redress through the courts as a landlord (If you ignore that the landlord will get his property back eventually, and so is in a better position)

The thread is mainly nonsense alright. Predominantly consisting of have-a-go landlords and their imaginary persecuted victimhood and imagined rules out to get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,548 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The first thing is most mechanics, panel beaters etc will not give you your car back without you paying the bill.

Secondly if you manage to get away without paying the mechanic he is not obliged to provide you future car repairs

As I said the comparison is not apt. The risk factor is totally different. No mechanic will end up with an payment owed of 20+k to a single individual which he has to recoup.

Notice the last word you posted ''eventually''.

The present regulations are neither good for LL or the vast majority of tenants. There is a few chances that would make a difference. However constant changing that alienates LL only contributes to more exiting the market.

There you are again your anti LL complex shows again. The world over people temporary rent there houses and you have small LLs. They provide a service. This country has decided to alienate them and the ban only means as a property becomes vacant a LL has to decide is it worth the risk to rent it again.

Many are deciding not to. Local to me a property has become vacant that was rented by the owner for the last 15ish years. A young couple looked to rent it but owner said he was not reletting. Neither is he selling it seems

Slava Ukrainii

Nobody is being alienated Bass. There is just a pronounced victim mentality among a minority (although a sizeable chunk on here) who appear to think that

A) Landlords are the only people who have to pay income tax on their income

B) Renting a house is the only commercial activity where a person might not be paid what they are owed right away, or ever.

C) Landlords are unique insofar that they have no recourse to recover debt. Except of course that they only have recourse to the courts. Compared to all other commercial activities where people who are owed money have the easy option of recourse to the courts. Which landlords don't have, if you ignore that they do have it.

D) and so on and so on.

As for the mechanic comparison, it may be the case that nobody you deal with will hand over something to you until you pay for it. That is not the case in general. For some people it can be if their reputation precedes them. They may even have to pre-pay up front in extreme circumstances.

Most businesses do end up with bad debts to some extent. Feel free to explain to your contractor how lucky he is to work in a role where it is impossible for him to not be paid for a job. He won't be long putting you straight. For someone who appears to know a bit about some things, I am surprised when you appear to be completely unaware of certain basics. I am merely pointing out that many of the difficulties that landlords can encounter are also common, or have analogies, in any other commercial activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭SwimClub

Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired Bass.

To quote Jonathan Swift.

I think it'd take the government rainy day fund of 5 billion on therapy fees to heal the ill opinions/complex you are referring to. 🤣

• Advertisement

Well it is possible to get it through to some people that they are being overly paranoid and that the government, and everyone else, isn't out to get them simply just because they explain that they are subject to the same rules as everyone else.

Most people grow out of the completely self-centred mentality by the time they hit 5 or 6. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean that everyone is out to get to you. When rules and regulations are implemented, it is not because there is a cabal, sitting in a darkened room in Leinster house with photos of you on the wall, trying to come up with ways to fuc% you over personally.

And just because someone tries to logically explain to you that certain problems are normal issues which are not unique to you, does not mean that they have a hatred of you.

You might not like facts being pointed out to you, but they are facts. If you start melodramatically ranting that the government has banned you from selling you your property for example, another person who is simply explaining to you that no such ban exists is just telling you facts. If you claim that a landlord has no legal recourse to recover debts, and it is calmly pointed out to you that they have the same recourse as anyone else who is owed money, you might indeed get upset, but throwing a hissy fit and attempting ad hominem attacks are only showing yourself up.

What I really don't understand are the people who have been posting the same whinges over and over again on here for years where those whinges are based on their inability to understand simple rules and regulations and the reason for them. I honestly think a lot of it is some kind of public sector mentality that they can't understand that there are other people to take into account too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Cant believe it.

I said id wait a week to see if Donald was gone and the thread was back to the interesting thread that it was before he arrived. How wrong I was. You are still here Donald and still derailed an perfectly good conversation.

Cant believe you havent succeeded in getting it closed yet. I'll lok back in a few days and see if it is back to the intelligent interesting conversation it was before.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭bluedex

Unfortunately you'll get these anti LL, anti everything posters on most threads. Best to not engage with them, they won't accept any logic or alternative POV. They live in their own bitter little world, expecting everything for nothing.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭The Spider

The panic is increasing on Twitter from certain posters who want the eviction ban extended beyond March, personally think if they extend it there’s going to be serious court cases, the Scots are already going to court after their ban was extended, either way Leo and the boys would want to let people know one way or the other, summer selling season’ll be here fairly quick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Very low energy as your namesake, a certain well known and controversial New York landlord would say.

Government rental legislation and the truly awful RTB (honestly I think some of the 20k social media e-communists here work for it down in Cork but the County Councils and An Bord Pleanála do even more damage to the cause of housing people well so maybe most work for them) makes it really difficult for any but major scale, foreign tax investors who have the benefit of scale and freedom from taxation. Rather than have the hassle of dealing with the RTB a lot of people with family in nursing homes, old but liveable family homes, or similar situations won't bother. It can be life shortening dealing with a problem renter. The rental market is a mess. And it is a result of a governments which over the past two or decades have decided to throttle supply in various ways and make no effort deal with demand. The reasons for that can be surmised, but that's for another thread.

• Advertisement

Well at least I don't have to pay any rent for living in your head.

Perhaps they should end the eviction ban as planned, but remove the exceptions allowing landlords to end tenancies early? To keep everyone happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭housetypeb

They could even go so far as to say a lease for a year is a lease for a year rather than 6 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭The Spider

Yep, that’d answer a lot of problems, and review the rent at that point

Commercial leases can have, by default, rights to renew and have had for decades at least.

The consumer is always afforded more protections. That is not a new concept.

If you aren't able to cope with that, then you shouldn't be in the game. Same as any other

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DubCount

To the readers of this forum - my apologies. I seem to have kicked off one of these circular discussions...... Landlords are a business ....... so they should be treated as any other business ....... no they are providing an essential service (housing) ..... so they are not a business .... no Landlords are a business.......

Other businesses are regulated, but do not have a requirement to waste months in a government quango (RTB) before having access to the courts, are not required to provide service when it is clear the service recipient has no intention of paying, and are not restricted on what customers they can choose on the basis of their ability to pay for the service.

None of this matters. Whether you believe it is an unfair business environment, or Landlord moaning, it all has the same impact - less landlords, less tenancies, more expensive rents and more homelessness.

I believe the eviction ban will be renewed because of long line of landlords heading for the exits. In stead of fixing the issues and encouraging landlords to stay, they are trying to bolt the door to stop them leaving. Short term this may work, but long term it just encourages more to leave.

I don't understand your equating of "essential service" with "not a business". Many essential services are supplied by private businesses. Which is why there are regulations around them. Electricity. communications, public transport etc.

As regards having to exhaust certain stages before you get to the Courts, that also happens in other regulated industries too. What you are saying there is that you are just not aware of them, and so you think that they don't exist. WRC for employment issues being one, and PIAB for personal injury claims being another big example.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭bluedex

Totally agree. You're correct when you point out that it doesn't matter what people's opinions are, the result is an exodus of landlords and an ongoing, worsening, rental supply problem, with no end in sight. Undeniably caused by years of continuous interference in the market, making it totally unattractive for private LLs.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Instead of the same old arguments over and over what do we suggest the future model of home ownership and the rental market should be in Ireland?

What do we think will work for everybody so everybody will have a roof over their head at an affordable price?

I know the obvious solution is more units but who will provide these?

The state don't want to be involved in the direct provision of housing anymore they only want to subsidize/privatize it.

Small landlords will leave as rentals are no longer attractive on a small scale, that will leave REIT as the main supplier of rental properties in the future their goal is to extract maximum profits so it will be in their interest to keep availability of rentals low.

Developers wont build unless margins are sufficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭The Student

Answer one question. What other business provided by the private sector is forced to continue providing a service for months and months without receiving payment.

I am not referring to large corporations/businesses I am specifically asking about small owned businesses or self employed people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DubCount

My approach would be as follows:

1) Stop local authorities and housing associations buying any second hand/off the plans houses/apartments.

2) Review housing regulations and remove some regulations not required for fire safety etc., to reduce down the build cost. Allow for modular type housing to be an option in the market. Do away with density requirements due to proximity to a train station etc.

3) Make local authorities build their own housing for social housing. I know they dont want to, but they have to. Maybe thats modular, maybe its not. They have to add their own supply, not hijack supply from the private sector. They also need to build dedicated temporary accommodation that provides everyone with a bed and a lockable door to an individual room.

4) Take planning for more than 10 houses out of the control of local authorities and go direct to a central planning, so the not in my back yard locals cant object or influence planning decisions.

5) Set a timeframe (say 2 years) after which the rental market is significantly deregulated. No RPZs, no indefinite tenancies, no eviction bans, no anti discrimination against HAP, no requirement for RTB to try and obtain an eviction. Rental market to be governed by a contract signed by both parties, that both parties must adhere to.

Housing the homeless should be a government responsibility. Leave the private sector to its own devices.

Look a few posts above. The mechanic who supplies and fits a part who is not paid for it cannot take that part back and might have to watch the non-paying owner drive by every day.

Do you want some more? You only asked for one

BTW, you aren't providing a service. You have willingly taken the conscious decision to give possesion of an asset you own to someone else. Your issue is not that you are providing a service, it is that the person whom you have willingly given possession of your asset to now owes you money. You may find it easier to come to terms with the over situation if you can get your head around that first.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Loads of small companies. Most Electricians, plumbers, painters, builders are owed money continuously.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

In fairness, there's a significant amount of contributers throwing a sook about having to pay tax on passive income (and that's after an endless list of reliefs).

That's the most childish "something for nothing" opinion floating like a turd on the thread. There's a lot of growing up to do on that front.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ingo1984

December sets a new record for homeless figures. May aswell just come out now and say the eviction ban will be extended.

I believe that is going to happen too.

It doesnt effect me anymore as I am selling now and the tenants have gone, but i am really curious to see if there are any cases taken when it is extended. Temporary in Irish government terms always means permanent. Temporary is just a word they use to get around the law and kick the can down the road. Its high time they were taken to task on this.

Okay now try answering the question I asked you rather than twisting it. A mechanic in your example is not going to fix your car again. You may have got away with not paying him once but he wont get caught again.

Yes we are providing service I am giving the use of my asset. Like renting out a car, van, online streaming service you choose which one you understand as a service. My issue is not that I am owed money I fully understand the risks of business. The issue I have is that I can't mitigate my losses like any rational business person would.

When you can get your head around the above you might actually understand the real world of business not the one you apparently live in.

Keep posting as I actually enjoy reading your posts as they brighten up my days when I actually need a laugh.

You are correct they are. But they don't continually provide goods/services for months or even years to those who owe them money. They stop supplying the goods/services to reduce/mitigate their losses because they can.

Landlords can't this is the crux of the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

• Advertisement

Its like being given a job and when it turns out to be a sh1t job anmd you want to leave you are not allowed to.

Now that I type that out it sounds like slavery :)

Advertisement