Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland running out of accommodation for Ukrainian refugees due to surge in non-Ukrainian refugees?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭creeper1

There needs to be a pause with all this asylum and international protection nonsense until the huge backlog is cleared. When decisions are made against all the Georgians/Albanians/Nigerians/wherever else and actual deportations issued and enforced then space may once again be used for Ukrainians.

This freeing up of space would be something akin to a rational and sensible way of addressing the issue. Looks like it's beyond the ability of the daft looking clowns at Leinster House.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Does anyone know what the length of time is for asylum seekers from initial arrival to having a decision rendered? My guess is that it is years when it should be months.

Im only asking because The legal system here is a joke and maybe making faster decisions (be they leave to stay or a decision to repatriate) would help to alleviate the backlog of applicants and associated accommodation pressure.

Do we need to have a dedicated court established to process applications or additional dates ? Do we need additional legal resources to represent asylum seekers?.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Hunt for sites to house asylum seekers as more than 20 new arrivals face homelessness – The Irish Times

Best get One Eyed Jack and the lads on the case as they know where all the accommodation is so we can keep this going forever as the benefits are impossible to ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Well done for managing to get through that. Whenever I see another wall of text and references from that poster I just scroll past.

I’m concerned about that media not reporting news anymore, citywest incident was genuine news as is talbot street being taped off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭timmyntc

So long as they get the most views and clicks for refugee center articles they will keep reporting them, albeit with their usual selective reporting of details and comments closed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Reading RTE news today, human rights commission writing to the minister threatening him that he is in breach of international onligations and telling him to reverse the policy of not housing new arrivals.

I'm livid reading it. These people are throwing around threats backed up by mine and your money, long after we have made a committment in genuine solidarity with those fleeing. They know, you know, we all know the remnants who are being turned away once families and women are provided for, are spoofers. They shouldn't be coming here. HOwever we now have an NGO layering threats and using funding by us taxpayers to exist and cause further strife.

I genuinely wouldn't mind if there were real cases turning up and being refused but jesus whats left coming in are complete spoofers.

Urrrgh, it pisses me off

• Registered Users Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The State is currently breaking international law.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭spookwoman

You are not the only one. People are getting really p*ssed off now with the rising cost of living, lack of housing, lack of school places, serious hospital overcrowding, etc. It's adding fuel to the fire hearing about refugees unable to get this that and the other all the time. Where was all this outcry for those in favour of open borders before the surge? Our system was overloaded back then, parents were having issues trying to get a school place and hospitals were overcrowded and they knew more people meant more pressure.

I don't live in these places that are having protests so I can't judge them and I won't. Next Elections will be one to watch.

This international obligation is a load of rubbish, we can say sorry, we can't take any more, same as Denmark. However our government choose not to. Does this human rights commissioner feel we should be able to house anyone who arrives in?

Will some journalist ever quote the Lisbon treaty to O Gorman, Varadkar, Coveney etc the next time they talk about our international obligations.

Ireland's role

Ireland currently has no European Union obligation to take in refugees as it has an opt-in or opt-out clause on individual proposals in the areas of freedom, security and justice through the EU Treaty of Lisbon.

However, Ireland has chosen to participate in EU relocation and resettlement schemes and established the Irish Refugee Protection Programme (IRPP) as part of its response to the 2015-16 migrant crisis.

• Advertisement

According to some NGO.

The State can hardly criticise the protesters now.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,506 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The following posters are threadbanned for failing to follow many in thread warnings to stay on topic

FrancisMcM

F34

Patrick2010

Kyokushin Grappler

One eyed Jack

tastyt

creeper1

Jinglejangle69

• Registered Users Posts: 3,334 ✭✭✭Francis McM

It is all going to end in tears unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,828 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Rising cost of living, lack of housing, lack of school places, hospital overcrowding have little or nothing to do with immigration and refugees. These are all domestic problems caused by poor Government policies and planning.

The vast majority of migrants are young and healthy for example and are not found clogging up A & E's. The 'Ireland is full' thing is nonsense - population of Greater Manchester is 3 million, equating to 60% of our population.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

If Ireland has capacity can you please share the knowledge of where this exists with the rest of us.

You might also let the Government know too while you are at it.

Capacity is a completely different issue. All the pressures on infrastructure and services are because the government has failed to plan for a growing population, not because there are 'too many people living in the country'.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Please explain how it is not. 62,000+ refugees, people that require emergency housing, children that need educating and provide healthcare to them has nothing to do with them? Ukrainian Embassy warned it's citizens coming here back in Oct 2022 that they might not get free accommodation on arrival. It's not a secret that Ireland was having issues before the influx. As for health, Ukrainian's have a lower uptake on vaccines, 20% not vaccinated against Measles. Between 2017 and 2020 40 children died from Measles there. 13 - 20% are not vaccinated against Polio, a disease that can leave people crippled and kill. In 2021, an outbreak of vaccine-associated paralytic poliovirus type 2 was confirmed in the Ukraine. They have some series disease epidemics, 4th highest rate of TB, 2020 2nd highest rate of HIV diagnosis rate in the WHO European Region. These numbers are from the Lancet and the Irish Medical Times.

Gov policy is not helping but providing for 62,000+ extra people is not leaving much in the pot to sort out our existing issues including helping our citizens pay their electricity, gas bills and help keep their heads above the water, it cannot be sustained.

So an extra 70,000 odd coming here is grand in terms of capacity?

So are other countries eg Hungary.

And I don't see what downside it's havng for them

There's no one in Govt with the balls to stand up to these NGOs .

All the lads are focused on a nice big EU job for themselves at the cost of turning this country into a third world dumping ground.

• Advertisement

As a slight aside. I see on my local FB forum that a couple of local families who took in Ukrainian refugees are now appealing for altwrnative accommodation for them.

The Guardian ran a similzr story recently.

To be fair to families no one thought this would drag on and now 8 months later having a couple of people under your roof is getting tricky. Plus it's awkward for the refugees themselves I'm sure.

I would expect quite a few more people are rethinking their offers. As one fb poster honestly said ' it was only intended to be a short term offer' .

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Dslatt

Greater Manchester has the infrastructure for said population. You cant just look at land mass and population and say "sure we have loads of room" Rural Ireland has essentially no public transport, We have less hospital beds than we did in 1996. Lobbing 100,000 new people all at once creates chaos in this instance. I dont care where the people are coming from, if 100,000 of the Irish diaspora returned home all at once we would have the exact same chaos.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

It isn't though, our capacity to provide accommodation is based on the spare accommodation capacity we carry as a country.

The State cannot now find many or any spare beds.

If 'Ireland is full', it would be no bad thing if half a million Irish people emigrated tomorrow morning - to free up pressure on housing, services and infrastructure, correct?

This despite the fact that depopulation always had a quite disastrous effect on the country and was nearly always accompanied by deep recession. One major problem with this is that the people most likely to leave are young, healthy, well educated tax payers (and that goes for most of our migrant worker population too).

• Registered Users Posts: 34,298 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

You don't quite get the irony in your post do you

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,506 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

hotmail.com threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Lack of housing, lack of school places and hospital overcrowding are all caused by our population increasing faster than we can provide for this population. The majority of this growth is being caused by immigration. So this definitely has something to do with it.

And yes this is down to our government not planning for it, but to be fair there's only so much you can do in the face of such a massive increase.

Ireland is full, there are literally people being told we've nowhere to put you.

Stopping deportations, offering own door accommodation to all asylum seekers and amnesties have come around to bite us in the ass.

All at a time when other countries are tightening their migration policies, especially the one right next door to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

We could easily fit 20 million people into this country if they could go without running water,electricity,houses education,healthcare and transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

My mother had a neighbor lookijhng down the noses of everyone who didnt take in refugees.

She even called to my mothers door when we were in the house asking her would she apply to take a refugee.

I went out and said to my mother that she shouldnt because it will go on for a long time and any decision she makes she needs to think long and hard about an exit strategy should it go on too long. The woman at the door wasnt happy.

Anyway my mother didnt take anyone in. 2 people on the road did, including the woman who called to the door, fair play to them, but last i heard their daughter was telling my neice who she is friends with that they are at the end of their tether and it is causing rows in the house and they cant find anywhere else for the people in their house to go now. She said she doesnt know when life will be back to normal.

This is what happens when there is no exit strategy to these things.

I had a relative and his wife live in my house for nearly a year while they looked for somewhere else to live. It was supposed to be for a few days. We used to get on before that. We had to move house to get rid of them :) They and some of the family havent spoken to any of us since, because we are the bad guys for kicking them out on to the street. Having someone live in your family space is never going to be easy and if it goes on longer than a week or two it leads to bad things.

Advertisement