Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your thoughts on the fertiliser price s for 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭alps

Technical...My head was fizzing.

Gonna have to get through last Thursday night's one again and draw up a little reference guide for myself in terms of flows of Ammonium and Urea etc and the micro nutrients that enact those changes.

I reckon a full understanding of the last night's lectures will be the key to understanding the whole plant nutrition requirements.

But one thing I'm convinced of is that foliar application of nutrients is a, if not the, obvious answer to current environmental issues.

Why it's not being considered by those developing solutions is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭ginger22

Potassium Silicate is another ingredient that should be considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

Just one quick question on the foliar spraying, how many times a year would you be spraying it on lets say a grazed 5 acre field?

how much kgs of urea would you be dissolving for lets say a 300L sprayer for 3 acre paddock 100l/acre.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,590 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I'd be going a combination of spread seaweed coated CAN and foliar.

But I'm stocked well enough in dairy. And it's a paddock system of 15 to 21 days a round.

What I finished at was 4 units urea per 100litres per acre. But I had all the rest going on with humic, fulvic, molasses, seaweed, even threw in cod liver oil occasionally.

I finished up overall I think it was 55units/N per acre for the whole farm.

There's people brewing up fish hydrolosate. If it's done right right I believe there'd be no need for urea. But it takes years for the soil to hone in and adapt the way it gets the maximum benefit for your plant grown. One's using fish would also use the humic, fulvic, seaweed, molasses maybe lactic acid bacteria added too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

Thanks for the info, does a low drift nozzel work better for application as more resistance to wind or what would you recommend. I currently have half red flat fan and half red low drift, currently changing the flats out as they start to leak/damage to low drifts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,225 ✭✭✭Grueller

Urea quoted @€840 to a neighbour here this morning.

I think mine are low drift nozzles. Light blue fan type. But I think the colour is more related to the quantity it can put out in a given time.

Keep pressure low less than 2 bar. Especially so if going to use biology.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,014 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

900 off Glanbia here this morning

850€ for 42% with selenium

• Registered Users Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Prices ex-works AN 33.5%.

Price urea ex-port.

Full loads, BB toplift, immediate payment.

Urea down €50/t since last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭stanflt

Don’t be putting reality up here dawg- I got lifted out of it here a few weeks back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭stanflt

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Spoke to a rep from a feed/fertiliser merchant in midlands this morning. His view of the world is that milk powder will increase in the coming weeks, but feed and fertiliser will drop around the end of Feb.

As has been stated on here, there is something of a standoff going on between merchants. No one wants to be the first to drop the price but once one of them breaks, then they'll all follow.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭1373

Probably a standoff going on with some of the larger merchants but a smaller merchant I know well told me he has zero fert purchased so he's only able to work off what the manufacturers will offer. He sells an awful lot of fert and tells me nobody has enquired about buying yet this year

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Another difference in the merchant sector is the co-op versus the independent. Co-ops have some farmers tied in with buying all fertiliser off them. A new entrant near me had to commit to buying everything from the co-op in order to get a milk contract off them.

This mightn't be across the board but it does mean the co-ops are in a different situation to the independents when it comes to dropping price.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭smallbeef

If an importer moved now and brought in a ship of Urea at €600/T he could be the one with the dear fert in April. Hard to catch a falling knife.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭alps

And thats exactly why the price of milk won't drop slowly..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,225 ✭✭✭Grueller

Before covid say, what was the comparative price of fert in France vs Ireland? 70% of Irish price?

For anyone interested in regen.

Get ready, the Regen Rev virtual conference returns on February 2! Hear the perspectives of regenerative ag thought leaders including Indiana grower Rick Clark, regenerative investment advocate Sarah Day Levesque, and AEA founder John Kempf, just to name a few. Registration details are below.

John Kempf will be giving two, one-day courses this winter. The first will be Wednesday, February 16 in Kennewick, WA, and will focus on all crop types. Learn more and register below. Another course, specifically focusing on regenerative wine grape production is also planned (details are TBD and will be published in an upcoming edition of this newsletter). 

Have you heard the latest episode of the Regenerative Agriculture Podcast? Dr. Erin Silva and John will discuss her research and innovation in the organic production space. 

As you plan your own regenerative strategy for 2023, check out the webinar episode below to learn how to decrease inputs while maintaining–or even increasing–yields. Now is the time to chart your course for a regenerative future! Get in touch with us to get started today. 

hello@advancingecoag.com

advancingecoag.com 

We are excited beyond measure to announce a long-term partnership between AEA and premium denim label Citizens of Humanity Group and regenerative advocacy group Kiss the Ground Foundation to work with farmers to grow cotton regeneratively for the apparel industry. The Citizens of Humanity Group and its family of brands, Citizens of Humanity, AGOLDE, and GOLDSIGN will launch Kiss the Ground Cotton as part of their Fall 2023 Collections and beyond to supply regeneratively grown cotton that consumers can believe in. Read more below.

All the best,

The Team at AEA

All things considered, that’s pretty much the price differential between gran and liquid.

Urea would be the same price ex-port in France as in Ireland, any price difference would be Coops/Merchants margin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

You could see drops of 5/6 cent per month for next 3 months ….

• Registered Users Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Talks of 20p a litre in England during peak. Could drop that much

Was at a Teagasc tillage meeting last night. On of them was giving a lecture about nitrates in ground water. I mentioned to them about the foliar feeding. They hadnt a clue what I was talking about and werent interested either. It wasnt in the Teagasc manual.

You'd want the likes of Norman Dunne and Nigel Gillis nearby when that question is asked.

They know alright but they don't want to know. Iykwim.

Probably acting dumb to see what you'd say. There's more tillage farmers using liquid than any other farm sector here, even from that they'd get an idea of foliar.

You should have made a fool of him or her when they were acting dumb and asked have they heard of combitop.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭straight

You should have known better to open your mouth. They're all just regurgitating the same old story and everyone else is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,661 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Teagasc at time will even ignore there own data/findings if it is not suiting the textbook

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭blackdog1

Asked the same question in my discussion group. same reaction. All they care about is protected urea. They seemed obsessed about protected urea and clover and are convinced that will save the environment and derogation. I thought feeding covers of grass with heavy clover would increase the nitrogen content of the diet thus increasing nitrates problem. Personally, i think we'll end up feeding a seaweed supplement to reduce methane and go with liquid fertilizer and foliar to reduce fert usage. they don't want to hear it as these supplements will probably have a minimum feeding rate and what goods a cow to Teagasc that will have to be fed 1 tonne of meal a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭straight

It turns out that the national soil sampling program was a complete waste of time and money. Teagasc are throwing all their results in the bin because the results came back too high.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,661 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

How do you mean they came back too high. TBH I imagine they got loads of dairy farmers because it was a free test. A lot of smaller lads would not bother

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement